Barasume Miwa
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa wakes up well before dawn. She watches for raptors. When she sees none she works her way down the tree and sits against Sniffle’s cheek. There she tilts her head down to let the tears flood from her eyes. She silently weeps. The tears do not stop for twenty minutes. When they do, she looks up again.

“I can’t even remember how to cry right anymore. I call you stupid sometimes because I know if you would let me wash and delouse you: you would feel much better. But look at my life now. I had a home, a loving husband. Now? Now I live in a giant squirrel nest in the middle of a jungle with a bunch of creatures that consider me a tea cake. I’m trying to free a quarter of a city full of eta from a crime kingpin. Why am I doing this?

Because he would do it. He would beg me to join him. He would take on the nobles while I cleaned out the city slums. It would be so easy at home. Here it seems impossible even with help. Maybe I should just forget them. They are only Eta. What did he say. ‘They are human beings first and foremost.’

What would Lord Barasume say? Most likely that I am losing my perspective on my quest. The one I must accomplish before the time runs out. I might not be able to complete it anyway. I walk along the border of the unknown. It only takes one step, but something bars my way now. Something within myself”

Miwa sighs, “If I should fail and die then I should do at least one good thing to make him proud, Sniffles. I’ll walk the road to the end. Whatever the end may be.

Ok, you stupid dragon. Since I am already awake, I’ll start my exercises.” Miwa pats the dragon’s cheek with the back of her hand. She then gets up beginning her morning routines.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa minds the Archeaox most of the day while in between practicing her exercises, both in unarmed and weaponed combat. She constantly watches for raptors. The cagy 4-foot birds with long talons easily shred tendon from bone. She knows that standing against two of them she can easily take them, however if a third gets involved they can easily wipe her out and feast on her corpse. Being that sometimes half a dozen can make a run in a pact she has to be ever vigilant not to let them get the best of her.

When night comes, she is exhausted. She quickly gets some hard tack and a water bottle out of her small supply tent and climbs up into her nest. Once done eating her meager meal she sleeps, keeping one eye on the dragon as long as she can.

Amaya applies Miwa’s makeup. Miwa is sitting on a cushion in the dining room. Miwa stares out expressionlessly while Amaya talks. “Thank you for the flowers, my lady. There seems to be a change in you lately.”

“Keep a steady hand. I’m trying to be more…. empathetic. I just was not raised with kindness. We loved one another, even father. It was just different. I need to learn that is all. Ryuu helps me.”

“Meeting of councils tonight. Are you going to stay silent the way you usually do? You should speak more.”

“It’s Ryuu’s job to hear the councils. Mine is only to judge and patrol. Many on the three councils dislike or are afraid of me.”

“They do have reason. You put to death Fukuda Emiko just a few months ago. You’ve maimed other villagers for indiscretion. You have to know Miwa there are other ways to seek justice out.”

“Emiko was sleeping with two other men besides her husband. It is a breach of her sacred contract. She deserved death seeing two other men. Now, her Widower has rectitude. I do not expect someone who has not studied law to understand Amaya. Justice must be served. We have no yakuza or ninja in the villages. I try to keep that filth from our lands. I am vigilant in this. The people should be happy.”

Amaya sighs, “I am done, my lady. Try to be nice in council, please.” She holds a mirror up to Miwa. Miwa glances at it briefly to make sure that it’s generally correct. Amaya chose blue eye shadow and lipstick again. Miwa doesn’t know if that’s good or bad. She turns her head away from it as soon as she notes that it’s ok.

Miwa gets up. “I will try not to make the meeting pleasant, Amaya.” She then takes her kaiken out of the odi on her blue and black kimono and holds it. Amaya wraps Miwa’s weapon harness over her odi. Miwa then places the kaiken back in her odi. Barefoot she walks out the door. Ryuu is mounted and ready holding the reins of Miwa’s horse Wasabi. They make their way to the grand council meeting of the villages of Iwase, Ogachi, and Nisishirakawa.

When they get to Ogachi the other farming village, Ryuu looks to her. Give me five minutes inside then I want you to walk in. I want to show you something. Miwa looks at him quizzically, “Why?”

“Like I said I want to show you something.”

“ok”

Ryuu dismounts then helps her to dismount from her sidesaddle position. He then places his hand on her back gently and guides her to the door. “Just watch then after 5 minutes, walk in and take your place by my side.”

Miwa nods, not sure what he’s getting on about. He goes into the town hall. Many stand and greet him taking time to talk with him on various issues. A crowd forms around him. He seems to tell a joke or two as several laugh and chuckle at times. The council members, all fifteen of them, seem to greet and talk to him in turn during the space she remains outside. After about 5 minutes she walks in.

As each sees her, they stiffen slightly and return to their places. Their faces become one of impassiveness like a samurai. Ryuu walks to his place between all three of the councils as everyone sits. She takes her place slightly behind and to the left of him.

The council meeting starts in earnest. Among the affairs of the villages are proposed goals for crop yields, the tonnage goal on the fish and shellfish yields for the village of Nisishirakawa. They also speak of births and deaths among the populace. Miwa stays silent the whole of the time, ever watchful of everyone in the room both to protect them and her husband. At some point several council members stand up. The leader seems to be the mayor of Iwase, Kimura Izanagi.

Izanagi bows then appeals to Ryuu. “Lord Barasume. I and all the council members of all the villages grow increasingly concerned over your young wife’s judgments over the lands you look after. We wish not to take the subject to Daimyo Barasume himself but left with no choice we just may have to do this. You wife Miwa uses some of the harshest punishments for criminal offences in her judgements against defendants.

In some cases, we the council agree with her in guilt or innocence, however lord Barasume we do not agree many times on the justice rendered against the guilty. We have lost 5 working men in just the last year due to the removal of hands or thumbs and to publicly do what she did to Emiko just three months ago. It ‘clears his throat’ it wasn’t necessary. Lady Barasume could have banished her or taken away her status as a peasant and shipping her off to the city as a whore. She didn’t have to……. to punish her as such.”

Miwa steps up turns and bows to her husband, “May I answer this, my husband?”

Ryuu’s face takes on a bit of concern, but he nods to her. She turns again to address all three councils. “Tell, me this council members. Are our crops and fish yields not abundant? Do any of the villagers pay protection money to those groups in the city that shall remain unnamed? Have any of our girls and boys gone missing? Has there been any banditry along our roads by roving bands of ronin or others of nefarious intent? Have our shrines every been desecrated while I have patrolled and arbitrated these lands? Has any of our livestock gone missing or stolen since the last year and a half?

The answer is No. I know very well I am a harsh arbitrator of the law. There is a reason for this. It is for the safety of all of you whom I protect. Who else would put their body or life between you and the dangers that lurk at the edges of our territory. Would you, Mayor? I would gather to say no. You would not. So before you judge me look to the peace you have enjoyed since I arrived at my place as your lady.”

Izanagi bows to her and sits down. Several council members start to quietly discuss everything said. In Miwa’s eyes the councils seem split on their opinions. She steps back to her place. The council meeting again adopts the usual things. At the end the mayor of Ogachi stands up.

“My lord Barasume. Several of the farmers in the village have reported a large wolf at the edge of their fields of late. I am not sure what it means however there is some fear growing of such a large aggressive animal in the vicinity.”

Ryuu considers the man a moment, “Is there a pack?”

“No one has seen more than one at a time. It seems the same animal. Large for a wolf and male. Its fur is dark almost black.”

Ryuu turns and looks to Miwa. Miwa again steps forward, “I will keep my eye out for it during my patrols.”

Ryuu nods to her. She again takes a step back to her position. After 6 hours the quarterly meeting of the grand council adjourns. Ryuu and Miwa make their way home.

Later that night after Ryuu and Miwa exhaust themselves she curls up against his chest. He spoons her while placing his cupped hand between her legs like a protective shield. She smiles and rubs the back of her head into his chest. “Today was hard.”

“You see now, don’t you? Miwa you must learn to be more approachable to them. Get them on your side. I know you’re not the best speaker. Just a little empathy. Try to see things from their side.”

“Law and discipline must be maintained. We are doing well because of my arbitrations. The people work hard. With hard work we are all bountiful.”

“We are also lucky. There have been no typhoons or other calamities that have caught us off guard. We rotate our fields properly and we see that Nisishirakawa has enough netting and boats to do their part for us. We also save for hard times to feed our people if need be. Kindness Miwa. Keep working on Kindness and learn to be just a little expressive when we deal with the council.

Your like stone, my love. Treat them like you treat me. Just a little. They are not the enemy. You can smile.”

“I’ll work on it.”

“Good now sleep. Tomorrow is another day. You’ll have to patrol for that wolf and see if it’s a danger.”

Miwa starts to snore. Ryuu presses her body up against himself for a moment before sleep catches him too.

Miwa wakes up almost falling out of her hammock. She looks down to see a bunch of raptors just below her pecking at the ground. She turns on her back as the sun comes up. Steam rises about the trees as the night rain evaporates. She looks up but doesn’t see the canopy. Her eyes are unfocused as she remembers his smile of contentment.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Once again, the cart comes along. Miwa takes the elk carcass off of it and drags it to the dragon. A raptor comes out of the bushes. She quickly kills it and drags it slowly with the elk. When she gets to the Archeaox she drops it goes to her supply tent making her own meager meal. While watching the dragon devour her offerings.

When she is done and somewhat sated, she works on her taikiken routines. She goes into a mental state of meditation taking away all her worries, guilt, and misgivings for a time. When done she goes into several Kiko katas. It smooths her movements out. They become more natural and supple though her strength again shows to hamper her somewhat in her movements not nearly as smooth as a master of the art. She stops when the rain starts to fall. Instead of going to her nest high in the trees she sits down within her supply tent sword at the ready. She meditates the rest of the day on her dreams.

The afternoon rain never comes to a stop. As the forest greens begin to look more vibrant in the overcast sky she knows dusk is near. She trots out of her tent to the dragon. She pats it on its haunch looking for more of those damn bugs. She can’t unless she drops on the archeaox from a tree. She sighs, “Soon dragon, soon. I will find someone to communicate to you: what I would like to do.”

She walks away and climbs up her tree into the nest. There she sleeps for a little while before her eyes pop open again in the middle of the night.

It was a hard campaign. Four months against a clan infringing upon Barasume lands. Miwa’s horse trots home late at night. She has many bandages; some still seep blood as the stitches underneath have come open on the way home. Her armor is a mess that needs mending. Many of her weapons have deep notches upon their edges.

She rides up to the barn to see the stable hand about to leave for his hovel. He quickly closes the barn door when he sees her trotting up. He bows, “Lady Barasume? I thought you would be to field another two months?”

She recognizes him, “The threat surrendered. I have come home. I need to stable Wasabi and be with Ryuu.”

“Let me take him out to the field, Miwa. Do not trouble yourself. You look wounded. I’ll take care of him for you.”

“Nonsense, Daichi. We’ve been on the road 4 days. What Wasabi needs is rest. So do I. Open the barn door.”

The stable hand looks nervous. So nervous in face even Miwa who isn’t the most perceptive can see it, “What is wrong, Daichi?”

“Maybe I should go to the house and get the lord. I’m sure he would like to meet you here.”

She looks at him sternly, “Daichi. Open the bard door. NOW!”

The stable hand turns and opens the door. She looks at her stall and back to him. “Does Ryuu have company? Whose horse is that?”

“Daichi doesn’t know what to say. He fidgets. Miwa’s eyes narrow. “Move that horse out of my stall. Feed and water, Wasabi and do not go near the house. I will find out what is happening myself.”

He bows deeply, “Yes, my lady.”

Miwa dismounts and walks up to the house. She opens the front door. Candles leave the various rooms in a dim glow. Everyone seems to be sleeping. She investigates the front rooms saving Amaya’s for last hoping it is there she would find a man or a woman with her. She slides the door open. It has become too dark for her to see so she goes and gets a candle from the dining room.

Walking into her room and holding the candle she sees the maid alone. With Miwa’s sigh and the smell of blood Amaya awakens to see her mistress standing over her. Her eyes go wide. Miwa quickly puts her hand over the servant’s mouth. “Not one word, Amaya. Help me take my boots off.” The servant takes her boots off then her thick socks. Now barefoot Miwa makes her way to the second floor.

When she gets to the bedroom, she sees the two of them. She is in one of Miwa’s own robes, curled up in his arms. She had no illusions. Samurai sleep with whoever they want almost any time they want. On their wedding night that was a total disaster she made him promise that he would never take another woman to their bed. The bed to Miwa was a sacred place that only she and her husband shared. He had promised her that he would never.

Ryuu had broken his promise. Miwa places her thumb and forefinger of her left hand below her tsuba upon her seppa. From there she slowly draws out her katana and waits. The wait is long. It doesn’t matter. Miwa trained since a small child knows how to wait for opportunity. Just after the moon makes its zenith the woman gets up to go to use the bed pan. As she stands and starts to walk the smell of blood hits her nose. It’s too late. Miwa is in position. It only takes a single precise stroke.

Miwa releases one hand from her sword and catches the body putting it back in bed. She places the head on the mantle. Coming back, she waits. This time it doesn’t take long. When the blood and bile hits Ryuu’s nose he wakes up.

He swears jumping out of the bed and almost falls over, “What the …….!”

From the darkest corner of the room, he hears a voice, “Hello, Husband. Are you happy I’m home?”

“Miwa? MIWA! What did you do!”

She re-lights her candle. Her scarred face is splatted with blood. Her eyes show contempt and anger. “You made me a promise, Ryuu. A promise just as sacred as my wedding vows to you. Now I know……you have broken that promise.”

“8 million, wife! You just killed a peasant. One of our peasants. You can't just go around killing them! There will be repercussions!”

“I have rectitude. You made a promise to me.” She takes a step forward. Candle in one hand, bloody katana in the other.”

“Gods you’re such a cold hearted, bitch at times!”

Miwa takes another step forward. “What did you say to me, Ryuu. I don’t think I heard that.”

Ryuu backs up near the window. “Miwa, Miwa! I am your husband. Stand down!”

She takes another step forward. Ryuu leaps out the window onto the first story roof. He rolls off it, spraining his ankle when he hits the ground. He then limps to the stables. Miwa blows out her candle and watches his shadow the whole way. “That should teach him a lesson.”

Miwa goes downstairs waking Amaya again. She tells the servant to wake up the whole staff. She tells them to burn the bed and body in the morning. The head is to be placed in a box with flowers and sweet perfume. She will write a letter of condolence to the peasant girl’s family explaining the full of it. She makes sure the girl will lose no honor. She then has Amaya light candles in the bathroom and light the coal stove below the bathtub itself.

After a good bath she dawns a robe and sleeps in the dining room. Two days later a letter comes to the house. Daimyo Barasume requests her presence as soon as possible.

Her heart broke a second time from reliving the past. She stares up at the camouflage roof of her nest for a long time. At dawn she can do nothing but sleep again. This time there is a small reprieve. No dreams disturb her.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa exercises all day after taking the elk carcass to the archeaox and cleaning up the local raptors again. She had gotten a nasty cut on her bicep from one of the birds. Her arm was shredded and the pain intense. She cleaned it and let it slowly regenerate which took about an hour with both her bloody heart charm and her armor. She also considered putting on the helm she kept in reserve, but it often gave her visions of her greatest fears: mostly from the past.

Now exhausted in the late afternoon hours she sits down with her back against the dragon’s cheek as it slumbers and opens her journal. Before she writes she looks at the slumbering beast. “Still have not gotten a druid to talk to you yet. I need time. Much has happened in the last four days.”

Her quill goes to rice paper:

Finally, I have completed some goals I have been working on. After months of searching, I have at last found what lies deep below the lags of crater lake. There was something down there. It was immense. There was a platform in front of it. I stepped upon the platform and from there entered its very dreams.

Samurai and their counterparts the Onna-bugeisha are taught not to fear. Yes, magic can make us fear for a small amount of time, but we know every day could be our last. It is drummed into the fabric of our very being since the time we are born. Normally when contemplating the past, present, or even future we are taught to be calm even when a torrent of storm surrounds us. When I entered the dream of this being I became both afraid and awestruck. This thing which I will not describe is a goddess in her own right. She was here before the island formed and will here when it is destroyed by her own rebirth.

When the dream was done, she stirred ever so slightly and looked within my eyes. She stared into my very soul. Something changed. Something changed within me. What I do not know but since this encounter much has also changed around me.

Those with me have decided not to make things clear about how we achieved this grand thing to meet a goddess in her own abode. We decided to keep much of the details secret and only too us. Others have found her and have done her injustice. It is best to let this being continue her dream and thus secure a future for those who come after. With luck it will be many, many generations before she rises and takes her place among the stars.

The other goal I completed was created the next day and completed the last day I trained among the people. On the second day of my ventures out in the world way from my jungle nest I heard there was something going on in Hamley. I met with five or six others, which included professor Baramaes and Bunny.

It seems that the healing child Mira was to go out for the first time in many months. We became a sort of escort for her as she walked around the town and explored ft. Benners. This is the girl with healing blood Elvalith had spoken to me about to some extent. She had tried to save Mira from the flames but had failed. The girl lost her right arm somehow to the ordeal, eventually she gave herself for the greater good of the community accepting the Flames and church’s proposal. She is considered a saint to these people. But I feel the Endaris family simply uses her to acquire more power through the church. The first thing I did notice is that she took the Endaris family name.

When she came out, I was shocked by her pallor and weakness. Her skin was as pale as my makeup. She could only walk some 100 meters or so without rest. I am not a priest or healer but being a mistress of ki in my own way It looked very much like she was burning out her life energy so quickly without replenishing it that she is dying. I cannot be sure I am correct in this but if I am: Mira will never likely make her 20th birthday. She is already 13 and the depletion of her ki looks to be almost complete.

As always, I was watchful and took up position to guard both my friends and the center of attention. The flames did not seem to mind. As they walked and chattered, I kept silent and listened. Much of it was on faith especially in ft. Benners where a statue of her god was in disrepair. We came out of the ft and went to the public wishing well. One of the flames mention it a disgrace and a pagan custom. I did not care. These western gods are strange to me and most know that my gods are just as strange to them.

At the wishing well there were two farmers fighting. One a male and another a female. It seemed the male’s fields had caught fire and burned. He was charging her with making a pact with the fey to bring him to ruin because her cows would not milk. I ran 2 farming villages for 5 years and have heard many stories when trying to figure out what really happened. I stayed silent again for some time before adding my experience into the fray. In the end I turned out to be right.

The flames and Mira began to speak of the evils of fey with the woman. She denied it. They then turned to the man and told him what serious consequences there were for misrepresentation of claim if he were wrong. This discussion of fey lasted quite some time. During that time, I quietly watched everyone.

Finally, when I felt the time was right, I asked them. Why does everyone think of some supernatural thing when burning fields happen most times from some mundane thing. A lazy man that forgets to properly put out a campfire, lightning or other thing often sparks the fields aflame. I then asked if the rangers of Hamley had investigated and found the source yet.

They in fact had not found the source. The discussion continued the flames and Mira of course still focused on the supernatural but others that I know not of the church starting to comment on my mentions. One said there was a lightning storm just last night.

It went on for some more time as I listen then the woman sparked something within me mentioning she was nowhere near the source of the fire. For me it was a tell.

I smiled and said, “campfire, lightning or a few torches with a flask of oil could certainly set a field to blaze.”

No one said a word, but the woman knew I had caught her. She confessed. No one said anything afterward to me. We escorted Mira back to the roadhouse and left. Again no one said anything to me. I guess having a little foreign samurai outthink them was too embarrassing. It does not matter. Justice was served to the woman, and she will have to make up for the man’s losses. Most likely she will serve some time in jail too. The flames announced to us that each of us that participated in the escort could see Mira for a private interview.

The next day I had not even considered meeting her again but encountered Elvalith. Knowing her affection for the girl I commented on what I saw and how I perceived Mira’s state of health. Elvalith became quiet worried. I decided to try to see Mira and talk to her about ki. Elvalith became immediately worried and kept telling me to be very gentle with her. I was not amused. I know I can be very aggressive and am always truthful but the look on Elvalith’s face hurt me.

I wrote letters to see the girl, but they remained unanswered. On the last day of my excursion for field training I went up to Hamley to see if I could see her directly. Bunny was there. She had arranged a meeting herself, but I did not know it. She told me she wanted to talk to me but she needed to go to the roadhouse first. I waited outside for some time. After an hour I thought I might have a meeting with the girl while Bunny was doing her business. I walked in the door and was met by several flames.

I asked to see Mira. The door guard told me a beggar woman was currently seeing her. I asked if I could wait. He said yes. It was then that I noticed all the guards watching me. I looked into their eyes and found they were afraid of me for some reason. Notedly afraid of me. I’m standing barefoot in a kimono with the only weapon on me, my kaiken, and several guards were afraid of what I might do. A little 5 ft 7 woman.

The head guard obviously knew some eastern lore. He recognized my kaiken right off. Most westerners just assume it is just a small scroll tube in my belt. We had to discuss my not wearing it in the presence with Mira. Again, I had to leave it off my body, but he did assure me it would always be within my view. I respect this man more now. He kept his word.

He moved the curtain for me to Mira’s room. I walked in to find Bunny still speaking with her, however her attention turned to me. She asked me if I wanted a miracle. I went into diplomatic mode.

I told her that I did not want a miracle that I had come here to help her. I think it startled her a bit. She remained silent so I went on.

I told her that I did not like mirrors or my own reflection. I told her my sisters were so beautiful while I became scared by my training. I told her I noticed while escorting her she did not like her reflection either when she looked into the wishing well.

She admitted to me that she did not like her own reflection or being sick all the time. I respond that we are the same in this while each different in what we see we share the same misgivings.

I then asked her about the energy known as Ki. She had no idea what I was talking about. I was very careful to say that Ki is life energy. It is not a religious thing. There is no faith that surrounds it. It is simply an energy that certain people use to make themselves both healthier and can be used in combat. If one is trained to rebuild it they will become much healthier.

Mira was quite intrigued about the concept so I went on explaining the basic structure and how she may become healthier by learning to rebuild her ki. Bunny threw in with me and supported me wholeheartedly in my endeavor, also reinforcing the truths I was saying.

I told her to start to build Ki that she would need a teacher, a weapons mistress like myself or a monk then told her to speak on her caretaker professor Baramaes about the use of ki and how she might be able to become healthier by doing breathing and exercises.

At first Mira said she had no time. I asked if she had a hour each day or even a ½ hour to learn and use these techniques. She didn’t say anything, but I saw the wheels turning in her eyes and knew my point had come across.

I made my thanks and left. When I saw Elvalith next I asked her to reinforce her thoughts by further discussing ki and its uses to make one healthier.

I did not tell the girl that I thought that she was dying. That I thought that each time she healed someone it took so much ki that an untrained person could not possibly make up the difference thus would steadily lose their life energy until they die of natural causes. If what I think is true: that Mira is losing her life energy and is dying. Perhaps it is still not too late to save her with training. I cannot train her, I have too much already to do, but there should be several monks or weapon masters around that may be able too. Some undoubtably within the church itself.

It is getting dark. Tomorrow I will write about the three times I met demons these last for days and the a sword called Nightmare that holds a captive demon inside its blade. A sword a demon gave me to protect a friend and possible capture the demon of the moors with.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes through her daily routine changing it slightly and using the Archeaox as a defensive position while imagining different battle scenarios and positions. She tires herself out as she dances with her swords both her katana and her husband’s Katana then with her katana and wakizashi. She takes lunch going up to the nest and retrieving nightmare before she begins the afternoon part of her workout.

She slings her husband’s Katana on her back and looks at the sheathed sword she holds in her hands. A bone white handle with a blackened blade. She draws it out of the sheath. Immediately as she tries to merge her ki with it. The blade feels like it recoils from her energy. Its feel is disjointed in her hands as if fighting her at every swing and block. She studies it. The Hamon looks like a lightning bolt. And there is a crystal embedded within the Habaki (blade collar). She guesses this the gem that captures the demon souls.

The more she holds it the more effort it takes her to wield it. She tires quickly just doing a few katas with the blade. She finally sheaths it and considers it again. “I only use you when I absolutely need too, or I make whatever is inside submit to my desires. Is that how it works? I must have more knowledge of what you are and what I am dealing with.”

She places the blade back up in her nest and goes down to the dragon. She sits down after looking for raptors and seeing none and opens her journal.

There are also several goals that remain stagnant to a point. The main one is making progress on starting a trade business and getting rid of the Yakuza in lowtown. She had spoken with Bunny several times on the subject and knows to physically stay away from lowtown because no matter what she does they would never accept a foreign noble would want to help them.

First and foremost, she must contact her Lord Daimyo. With only two and a three-quarter year to complete her quest and another 3 months to make the voyage home she needs to act rather quickly. That leaves a few more than 3 months to spare if there is some form of trouble. It takes 6 months for a letter sent and a response received.

I went to Elvalith to see if she could make a spell of communication with her Lord. Elvalith told me the materials for the spell and set up would take much longer than sending a letter and have a return reply. I accepted Elvalith’s advice but knew there had to be some way to communicate directly to my lord.

The next day I happened to encounter Seth the red wizard and told him about her conundrum. He suggested sending crystals. He told me that I could make a speech of 25 words or less and use a sending crystal to have the message instantaneously sent. He said the better you know the person the easier it is.

My lord is not only my Daimyo but also my uncle by marriage. I see that as no problem. Seth said he would make me some crystals, but we were not able to connect before I had to leave for training. Perhaps I may have word with Daimyo Barasume yet.

I must speak of these demons. Early on my 4-day excursion Drasta told me there was trouble in the moor. She practically dragged me with her on her way up there. When we got there Tova was doing something. There was a mass of energy or something like a portal hole effect upon the ground. She seemed to be manipulating its energies. I was wondering what the crazy bitch was doing this time.

Others were conversing about a demon within the moors causing trouble. I saw Elvalith there along with a large group watching Tova and her dealings with this circle of energy that spread about 15 meters on the ground in a large circle like configuration. It’s hard to explain when you do not know about magic.

As I listened to the others it seemed like they wanted to go to the abyss to take on this demon or another somehow related to it. I decided to go with them if even for the combat experience. I had been to the abyss several times before fighting gloom weavers and floating skulls. Another trip is a rather exciting prospect for me to attend.

First, we had to traverse through the gates. We did that rather well. When we stopped, we found ourselves in a dungeon full of lava pits and ledges. A great Balor was there. Someone spoke to it and the fight was on. The demon called many followers to the fight. I attacked with all I had, and it wasn’t long before a spell tried to encompass me. It fell around me like a breeze and dissipated thanks to my passive spell resistance. The next hit me a few seconds after and made me magically fear the Balor.

Luckily none of his minions caught on and when I came too, I attacked again, however the Balor stunned me. I wandered around dizzy and confused most of the rest of the battle. Again, he and his followers paid no attention to my confusion. When I came to the second time I rushed back into the fray with the great fiend. I landed three ki strikes against him and it was these that finally took him out, striking the final blow. I cut one of his horns off and have it now as a trophy. I may be able to give it to a wu-jen to find where the demon is once he has reformed. We found our way back to the real world. The one I understand and separated each to our own ways.

On the very last day of my field training Drasta, a rather curious gnome and I caught a bounty to go to the bagnorn hold. We went up discussing proper tactics to fight our way to the drummer and dispatch him for the bounty. As we came to the bridge before the entrance, I saw two female demons battling the orcs. I thought it the gnome’s summons and went to work with my bow on the archers, hunters, and shaman. We fought our way to the head of the bridge and had a good fight using good tactics to kill them all. That is when another demon showed up. He calls himself Rhandumm.

He said he was looking for something to study stars with. His interest was that there was something here that would help him do this. He tried to make a deal with us. He told us he would help us if we would let him take what he needed. I was of course suspicious. The others tentatively agreed.

We worked our way into the back rooms with his help. There seemed to be little problems. We killed the drummer ending our bounty. And went deeper to their treasure vault. I did not see the demon pick up anything which made me a bit more suspicious, but he left in peace and my uneasiness ceased with his leaving.

As I was collecting my receipt from Liz, Drasta barged in on me. She said that there had been an explosion in the south. Both of us rushed our way to the badger area behind the Tackle to find Lucille passed out in some form of magic circle. Rhandumm was there with her. I almost drew my blade but held myself to figure out what happened.

Drasta rushed to her lover and tried to wake her. I followed almost immediately. We gave her a stimulant and tried to heal her. It was some time before she regained consciousness. When she did and opened her eyes, they were blood red, and she was blind. She had demonic markings all over her arms.

The demon absolutely stated that he did not do that and started asking questions of Lucille. He kept talking about a star and one in particular. It seems that Lucille, like me was born under this riftstar.
She told the tale of what she had seen. I did not understand it all.

Rhandumm told her the markings on her arms would attract demons. And that I and Drasta should take her to Tova and guard her until she was better. He gave her a sheath of arrows. He gave me this nightmare blade, A katana that has the trapped soul of a demon within. Rhandumm said it could trap other demon souls, but I best not try to use it on him. I remained silent not knowing what to think at the time.

We took Lucy to the tackle, and we put her on Sakura. Sakura took it well and did not even dwell in the streams or pools as we marched up to the swamp people’s tribal grounds. Once inside what they would call a palace we laid her down on some cushions and gave her a blanket. She rested. Drasta and I made our way out and back to the crossroads.

Now I have this sword and know through the rumors I have heard these last four days that there is a demon causing trouble in the swamp. The problem is the blade itself seems to fight my every use of it. I do not understand what to think of this. Perhaps Elvalith will know more.

It’s getting late and I must relive my own nightmares. It seems the 8 million decrees that I do until I understand something that I have missed in my life or is it just my own guilt for what happened the day before the funeral. My greatest failure.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa finds herself swimming in a pool of unending darkness. She seems to have lost her senses. She cannot smell, nor even feel her own skin. She feels neither hot nor cold, just a vast darkness without feeling or context. Slowly shadows form a large room. Walls come into view and surround her. Figures start to take shape. Colors form and she is in the corner of Daimyo Barasume’s office looking at herself and her husband standing in front of him.

She looks at her hands and legs. It is just like that orc form she saw in the field more than a month ago among the fields of Hamley. She can only see her outline. The rest of her seems somehow unsubstantial.
“What is this?” She comments to herself. She looks at the people in the room.

Lord Barasume is sitting on a cushion while Miwa and Ryuu are going after each other in reckless abandon. His eyes betray that he cannot believe the whole of the situation looking up at the couple in disbelief. There is an advisor behind him, a counselor by the name of Yoshinori. Two the side are two peasants in their 40s. She smiles slightly with a tear in her ghostly eye as she looks at the couple. She knows them well as Yori and Kame. She turns her attention to the conversation.

“I have rectitude, Daimyo! I have absolute rectitude! He promised me on our wedding night he would have no other in our bed! That’s Our BED! I don’t care if he takes another for a night. NOT IN OUR BED!” Miwa’s hand absently goes for her kaiken while she looks at Ryuu with murder in her eyes.

Kyo must stand up, in fact he leaps to his feet. “MIWA! Go for that dagger one more time and I’ll have your hands tied behind your back! Settle your ass down, Little Wolverine!”

As he sits back down, he sees Ryuu look at his wife in fear. He continues, “I want silence for a moment.”
The room goes silent while the Daimyo sips his tea and thinks. Miwa’s eyes turn to the couple in anger. Both flinch sitting deeper within the cushions afforded them. Kyo’s eyes go back to her sternly.

“Miwa. Do you love your husband?”

“Yes, my lord.”

“I believe you do. You wouldn’t have cut off a PEASANT’S head if you didn’t.”

“Ryuu. Do you love your wife?”

“The giant of a man remains silent.”

Miwa the ghost watches her lord Daimyo study his nephew knowing what is about to happen. Kyo looks back to Miwa, “It is obvious that you have failed at being a good wife, Miwa. You know what to do with this being such a horrendous failure.”

Miwa doesn’t hesitate. Within an instant her kaiken is out but Ryuu is just as fast. His arm swings in front of his wife’s throat before she can cut it. He winces as her dagger puts a deep laceration in his forearm.”

Kyo stands again, “Stop! You almost had me convinced. So, you do love her. What is the problem then? Does she not take care of you in every way you desire?”

“Hai! She does uncle.”

“Do you not have enough time together?”

“It is a problem, Uncle. You take her away to the field much when I need her.”

“There is something else, Ryuu. I see it in your eyes. Tell me.”

Ryuu doesn’t say anything. He simply turns his head to the side and looks down. Kyo studies his body movements. His facial expressions. He finds his answer. “She’s 16, Ryuu. SHE’S 16! Some women are not ready until they reach their mid 20……….”

He looks over at Miwa to find her head down. The tears are flowing like a river down her face and she’s trying to hold back her cries but can’t. What comes out of her throat is something akin to a wounded horse whimper. “Miwa! Remember who you are! Go outside and collect yourself. Come back to me with your head up.” Miwa does an about face and marches out the door wiping her eyes as she goes.

He stares at his nephew. “I expect her to be impatient, not you. Is it true. Does your wife have rectitude about a promise you made to her?” Miwa the ghost watches not knowing what is going to happen.

Ryuu looks like a deer in the headlights, “She does, Uncle.”

“DAIMYO!”

“She does Daimyo Barasume.”

“Leave to the side room. I want to discuss something with Yoshinori.”

The counselor escorts Ryuu to the side room then closes the door once he steps over the threshold. He comes back standing in front of Kyo and bows waiting for what the Daimyo says. “She is one of my best fighters. He is one of my best administrators. She has more balls than half my commanders. He has no balls at all. This marriage should be perfect.”

“Daimyo, if you remembered when you took her, I told you the marriage would work but would also have turbulence. Miwa is a very aggressive woman because of her past. We now know she was methodically trained to be. Ryuu feels upstaged by her. He is her husband and feels her glory far outshines his own. With no children in a little over 2 years He doesn’t have rectitude to keep her home and be the wife he wants her to be. Meanwhile you benefit from her having no child.

We both know Ryuu while competent is not a great warrior. Statistician and tactician yes. Actual fighting no. If she were pregnant and had to stay at home, he could do more to mold her to his ways. She is pliable still. Young still.”

“And that was our whole hope that each of them would mold the other for balance. Yet it has not occurred yet. Together they sum up all the greatest values of Bushido. Each good where the other isn’t. But they are not working as the perfect team we want them to be.

Thank you, Counselor. I think I know what to do.”

Kyo looks to Yori and Kame, “Miwa was greatly abused by her father in training. She never learned what Its like to grow up a normal girl. She was beaten almost every day since she was 4 maybe 5 until she was 12 to mold her into a samurai. That isn’t the normal way it is done. The question I have for you is this. Can you help her. She has been your Lady for 2 years now. You should know her; now can you help her?”

The couple look into each other’s eyes silently then stand. They bow to him. It is Kame who speaks, being that Miwa and she are the same gender. “Miwa is cruel and unforgiving but also fair and generous with those in the village that do no wrong. We do not know if we can help her. We are willing to try.”

Daimyo Barasume bobs his head, “Then we wait for them to come back. I am ready to judge all of you. Before I pass judgement know that Miwa does not like mirrors, and she does not like people to see her full body. Be very aware of this. It’s important that you do not intrude upon her personage when she is changing.”

The couple bow to him. They wait for Miwa and Ryuu to rejoin them.

Ryuu comes in first as the counselor beckons him into the room. He stands just left of the two peasants and thus when Miwa comes back in the room, she will be separated from the parents of the girl. They wait over 20 minutes. When she comes back in her nerves have been steeled to accept whatever comes. Lord Barasume stands again and all bow to him.

Kyo’s voice booms across the room, “This is my judgment. Barasume Ryuu. Though you have broken no laws by taking another woman you have broken a promise to your wife who is Onna-bugeisha. A part of my government and the greater government of Kozakura. She being your wife makes you partially responsible for the killing of Yuri and Kame’s daughter. You will pay them restitution of 5% of your net crop yield that you take for your household for 4 years.

Furthermore: You will never take another lover into you and your wife’s home. Whether another wife or concubine. You will keep them away from Miwa and your home. She is Onna-bugeisha and deserves that respect.”

Ryuu frowns but bobs his head in compliance.

“Barasume Miwa. You have rectitude against your husband for a promise broken. You do not have rectitude against Tanaka Katsumi. You have overstepped your position as my arm of justice to your villages. As punishment you will replace Tanaka Kasumi as her parent’s daughter until your 20th birthday. This punishment will be 2 days of every 10-day week. You will go to their home and present yourself as a replacement for Kasumi. You will call them Uncle Yori and Aunt Kame. You will in effect be their daughter and understand that during these 2 days a week you come under their authority as parents.

This sentence does not preclude your time on campaign young lady. If I call you to war or training when you come back you must make up the days of your sentencing.

Furthermore: Your judgements of punishing criminals though within the law of Kozakura is legal and normally up to you, the judge of these lands Both the village councils and I find your punishments for convicted criminals too harsh. Therefore, before the final sentence is announced you must seek the approval of your husband to enact judgement of crimes. The two of you must conclude on what sentencing being enacted.”

He looks to the two peasants, “Understand Tanaka Yori and Tanaka Kame that Lady Miwa’s husband may come at any time to do his husbandly duty during her stay with you. And she may have to do her duties as your lady also while with you. You must make allowances for this. Do you understand?”

They bow assertion to him.

“Tanaka Yori and Tanaka Kame. Though you are not at fault in any way. Your Lady had rectitude against her husband for a promise broken. This promise involved your daughter who has tarnished your family honor. To regain that honor, you must buy your Lady and Lord a new bed fit for their station. Do you understand the punishment?

The two again bow assertion to him.

“There is one more thing. I must take blame upon myself for keeping Barasume Miwa away from her husband for long periods of time for both training and campaigns. I was wrong in this. A husband and a new wife need time together to do their duty to the greater good of Kozakura and its populace. Therefore sentencing is remanded for 3 ten days. I will pay for the couple out of my own expense to go to the beach and enjoy a vacation long overdue. I will set my own advisors over the lands Barasume Ryuu and Miwa hold during this time. With luck Miwa will return with the root solution to the main problem here.

Thus is my judgement. Now all of you leave my presence and let not a situation like this be presented to me again.”

The meeting breaks up. The four leave the room. Miwa the ghost watches as Kyo turns to his advisor.

“What do you think?”

The counsellor rubs his small beard with his palm, “The best solution given the circumstances. I do hope it works. It will depend upon the Tanakas.”

The Daimyo nods. The counsellor leaves. He calls upon his favorite wife. Miwa falls back into darkness and wakes up in the middle of the night. She can’t go back to sleep so just stares at the canopy of leaves above her nest that offers her respite from the rain until dawn cuts once again the darkness of the night.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa climbs up to her nest after a full day’s work out between killing raptors, which is another work out in itself. Before she writes in her journal she looks down on Sniffles. It seems to be clawing up the ground to cool its nest or something. She calls out to it in high shou, “One day soon we’ll be able to talk together and come to an arrangement. Until then I will guard you so no one else harms you.”

She then takes up her quill and writes:

Meiyo is the 4th principle of the Bushido code, and it refers to "honor" or "prestige". This principle emphasizes the importance of maintaining a strong sense of personal honor and integrity in all aspects of life.

For samurai warriors, meiyo was the cornerstone of their code of ethics. It was considered to be one of the most important principles, as it reflected the reputation and status of not only the individual samurai, but also their family and clan. To uphold one's honor was considered to be of utmost importance, and samurai were willing to sacrifice their lives to defend their honor.

Meiyo was not just about personal honor, however. It also emphasized the importance of upholding the honor of one's family, clan, and even one's country. Samurai warriors were expected to act with integrity and courage, even in the face of adversity, as a way of demonstrating their commitment to their honor and their people.

As so I did. And got thrown out of a meeting, again. It always seems Hamley is the trouble. Could be the air but before this I will write about my three-day excursion in the public arena. It started on a good note. Seth produced the crystals I needed to message Daimyo Barasume directly. I have 3 crystals to make a message with 25 words. And He may reply with 25 words in kind to me. We may be able to do this three times now. I hope to save at least one until needing it sometime in the future.

I went foraging for adventure and practiced on the orcs of the grey mountains acquiring coins which is much needed for I have traded charms recently several times until finding the ones I need most. Now I regenerate both when I land a precise blow and when I have defeated an opponent along with the regeneration of my equipment. It has helped me greatly.

I went to Hamley for a drink and found several people there including Nicolette. They wanted to go to the grey mountains saying that a fireball and explosion landed there the other night. There were several there I did not know. A small gnome wu-jen and another human wu-jen by the name of Calahad. I had seen the human quite a few times both at a bar in Steinkeis and at the party in Hamley. Drasta is suspicious of him. She said there was something……. off about the man. I don’t know.

We went up to the grey mountains where I tested my new charms. They worked rather well for me. There is a side path up into the mountains that I did not know about, we took that path to avoid the main contingent of orcs. I would have rather fought my way through, however there were many wu-jen and people weak of fortitude, so I believe in this case it was the best way to go. They did let me stop a moment at the fire shrine to pay tribute to the guardian of fire. That was nice. He being one of the 8 million: one whom Kozakurians call Kaji Akarui.

We sailed through the orc stronghold with our wu-jen helping much setting up death barriers while we fought inside them. As we fought the orcs were assailed by blankets of acid, sickness, and fire. When we finished off the one with the great sword guarding their treasure someone found a way to a chamber up above us. We walked in on an impossible scene of an elven mage and a spirit of a dragon. There was an egg at the feet of the spirit and the mage was performing some form of high magic upon it. Nicolette seemed to recognize the mage. He comes from an organization called the Purple something. He was trying to take the egg.

The elven wu-jen started to summon monstrous creatures and set them upon us. We easily took them out. With his minion’s gone he had a small discussion with us while trying to retrieve the egg. Nicolette began to wield this white light magic within her. The two fought until the elven turned tail and ran for his life leaving the egg for us. It was decided that she should hide the egg somewhere where no one else knew. Several offered suggestions but I do not know if she took any of those. I personally am glad I do not know where it is.

After this adventure. I helped people slay floating eyes, orcs and did a few bounties on my own. I went to the shadow city again with Jack. I fell while we were trying to escape to the creeping doom of shadow but luckily Jack revived me before death took me.

On my last day, frustrated with myself and the people of the cities, I went to Hamley again to relax for a drink. Again, I found numerous people. The flames took us to their room and started to ask us questions such as if we knew Nicolette. He told us that Mira and Nicolette had come to the same room and there was a great explosion when they did. It seems the Flames now hunt Nicolette and call her a trader.

Based on my research and questions I have given to others this is not true. Based on what I have found out Nicolette simply exceeded her authority in a past battle, was tried for it and banished. Of course, I could be wrong. People do lie. But it did not feel right. I started to ask questions at first on why the flames would seek out Nicolette. I had no illusions the flames seemed intent in their tenor to do her harm. I have sworn to Elvalith to ever protect the woman when she is in my presence. It got quite heated between Gregor and me. He finally said anyone allied with Nicolette is an enemy of theirs.

I do not see why a good church would seek out a good person to do harm unto her but is this church of Andreus really a good church. Their leader only seems to seek power over all the people of both Steinkeis and Hamley. Their knights are nothing more than fanatical dogs that do the bidding of the Endris family and Mira according to Elvalith is like a trapped beast even though she willingly took her place with them. Many have told me Mira was given a choice to be their saint or suffer the tender mercies of the Bloodguard.

Eventually I was thrown out of the meeting. A guard went to touch me, and I threatened to cut off his head if he did. I walked out on my own. These people, These Knights of the flame know nothing of Meyio. I stood my ground and because I usually have no idea where Nicolette makes her home or where she walks, they can get nothing from me. I just happen to see and journey with her from time to time. When I do: I hold to the promise I made to Elvalith.

This brings me finally to my major crisis. I feel for the people of Steinkeis and for the people of Hamley. It seems they are surrounded by bad leaders, a corrupt government, Nobles that strip all they can from those they are supposed to protect, an arrogant and prideful kinghood, and an extensive yakuza organization that practically runs have the city of Steinkeis taking what is left of the meager wages the nobles offer the common peasant.

It is too much. I must think about my own plans and my own people. If I start a company in Steinkeis there is nothing but problems for both my own people and me to which I can make no headway on. I have been offered to start this trade business if my Daimyo approves in Sandbarrow. I will go to its leaders with my business plan and hopefully start this trade company there instead of Steinkeis. It is quiet there, peaceful, a better place for my people to do business. I will not have the monumental challenges to overcome by starting Steinkeis. It will be a good start to put me on the path to my second most important goal. To be able to stay here when my quest is over.

I will still work to help the common people of the city of Steinkeis and the town of Hamley, but it will lift the heaviness of my heart not to be in that poisonous mix of problems of these two cities. I will appeal to the leaders of Sandbarrow when I finish training if my Daimyo approves of my idea.

That’s all I can write for now. I’m low on lamp oil and dusk is beginning to settle around the jungle. I will dream tonight of my past and my mistakes. Hopefully as my priestess states, I may learn something. That something I am missing to complete my quest and become one with my sword.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Makoto is the sixth principle of the Bushido code, and it refers to "sincerity" or "truthfulness". This principle emphasizes the importance of being truthful and honest in all aspects of life, and of acting with sincerity and integrity.

In the context of the samurai code of ethics, Makoto was seen as an essential quality for a samurai warrior. It was believed that being truthful and honest was the foundation of all other virtues, and that it was impossible to be a true samurai without a commitment to sincerity and integrity.

Makoto was not just about being honest with others, however. It also emphasized the importance of being honest with oneself, and of staying true to one's own beliefs and values, even in the face of adversity. Samurai warriors were expected to act with sincerity and integrity, even if it meant going against popular opinion or risking their own lives.

Miwa wakes up, puts on a simple dress, and comes out of her room. She bows to Yori and Kame silently picks up a scythe and is about to go to the fields to work. She has been with them now 3 months slowly stepping into a new routine as a common peasant girl. It was a hard transition. Still the other peasants bow to her being that she is still their lady. As she’s about to step over the threshold Kame asks her, “Miwa do you know how to sew?”

Miwa nods, “A little. I can sew patches to my armor or dresses when needed.”

“Have you ever made a dress?”

“Miwa shakes her head. I had to do all the stable things, fetch water, cut, and bring firewood. My sisters always handed the household work.”

“Would you like to learn? I know it’s harvest time and you are doing the work of two people. You need a rest and learn about other things. Yori and I agree. Stay here. I have some sewing to do and we can start a new dress for you to wear for your lord husband when it’s complete.”

Miwa looks for just a moment like a deer in the headlights then gets control of her expression and goes back to the passive neutrality of a samurai. Kame inwardly sighs. It will be fun. I promise?”

“What about the fields?”

“Miwa there are many others out in the fields. I need you here today.”

Miwa sets the tool down and comes up to her not sure on what to do. Yori takes up the scythe and heads out the door. Kame shows Miwa out the back door of the home made of rattan with a straw roof. She already has two chairs set up.

Kame gets her set up to practice and the two women sew while watching the men and others work the fields. Kame helps Miwa when needed. Miwa meanwhile concentrates on the task at hand. Kame looks over to the young woman. “I like sewing especially with others. It’s relaxing in a way, and you can learn so much from others. I do it for fun. Do you do anything just because?”

Miwa is concentrating very hard on the task at hand, which would normally make Kame smile but this time a look of worry seems to glide across her face. “There is always work to do. I must train, meditate, be the villages judge, make sure the weekly and monthly numbers on harvest and fish are good, patrol the lands and protect the people of the villages, and to make sure all is well in the household for my husband, lord. I have no time for anything else.”

“What did you do for fun as a child, Miwa?”

Miwa looks up at Kame with a confused look on her face. Kame nods, “I see. I don’t know much about lords and ladies. I’m just a simple peasant.”

Miwa looks down again, focused on the work at hand, completely expressionless. “Miwa do you ever smile or have joy in your heart?”

“Yes.”

“Could you tell me about the times when you feel joy?”

“I feel joy and comfort when my husband holds me at night. I feel protected from the outside world. It’s the one place I feel different. I know that he loves me even though I am scared and ugly.”

Kame takes her hand and gently holds Miwa’s chin making her look up from her attempts at sewing. “You have a few scars dear but you’re not ugly in the least.”

Miwa shies away from her touch and looks down on her work again. “You are being kind; I can understand this.”

“I’m not being kind, Miwa. I’m telling you the truth. Ok let’s stop for now. I think we need to sit together for a few days for you to get into the swing of sewing a full dress. I do want to show you something special.”

“What do you want to show me, Auntie?”

“Let’s take a ride to the southern fields. Winter vegetables are blooming there.”

“I don’t understand?”

“You will. Let’s get your horse. I’ll borrow the old mare from Rey and Akoto.”

The two get the horses and go to the southern fields of the territory. Rows of flowering vegetables line the small hills bending with the terrain. As they get closer Miwa notices that the flowers all seem to have white blemishes upon them. Her face shows the slightest concern. “It looks like there’s mold on the flowers.”

Kame chuckles, “No it’s not Mold Miwa. It only happens for a week every year. I am not surprised you haven’t noticed them on patrol. Quietly now get off your horse and slowly walk into the field. You don’t want to disturb them.”

Miwa walks out observing into the field and finds thousands of insects lazily flittering about going from flower-to-flower drinking nectar. As she turns around, she sees Kame walking up to her. She brings out a bell and hits it on the side with a hammer. In an instant a sea of rice paper swallowtails takes to the air surrounding them as if the entire area were surrounded by giant flying snowflakes so thick Miwa can no longer see the edge of the field. She is amazed and shows it upon her face. “How have I never known about this?”

“It's a migration. They are like cherry blossoms. They come and they go almost as soon as they appear. You need to catch them at just the right time. The butterflies start to settle again going back to the flowers some mistakenly landing on their bodies. Miwa stares in wonder at the beauty of it all.

Kame smiles. She knows she’s starting to crack that hardened shell of the samurai. “There are many wonderous and magical things on your lands, Miwa. Not the spells of wu-jen or the prayers that priest use to invoke their gods. Real magic. Natural magic. Like this migration. Would you like to see more?”

“Yes……please.”

Kame gives her a slight nod. In a few weeks Miwa. In a few weeks.

They start to make their way back. “Do you ever lie Miwa? I have noticed that you are overly honest.”

“Yes.”

“You do? How so?”

“I have struggled with this. But there are days I do not feel well, or problems surmount me. Sometimes Ryuu notices. When he asks, I say I am feeling fine or if he is having a hard day, I may lie to bring his spirits up. I struggle with this because I know lying is counterproductive in the end, but I also feel my duty and loyalty to my husband must surpass the small lies I have told and tell him.”

“Many try to corner a completely truthful person though. How do you deal with that?”

“I stay silent unless I am insulted or there is conflict in my soul over what is said. Then I am aggressively truthful.”

“A dangerous position but from what I understand Samurai are supposed to be the most truthful and loyal of people. Sometimes conflicting truth and loyalty. I do hear that many samurai only pay lip service to your code of honor. Is this true?”

“It is. I know all too well.”

Kame is about to say more but she sees two things almost at once. As Miwa answers her, she slightly flinches. Did she lie to her or is there something else? Kame doesn’t know. The next is a large black wolf positions itself on top of a hill about 100 meters in front of them. Miwa stops and grabs the halter on Kame’s horse. “So, you finally show yourself. Auntie, go to town and alert the village. I must perfume my duty.”

Kame bows, “As you wish, Lady Barasume.”

The two women split apart: Kame to the village. Miwa trailing the wolf. As she gets with in fifty meters the wolf turns and runs down the road. Miwa follows sliding out her Yumi from its sheath. As she grabs a half dozen arrows from her quiver the wolf stops and looks at her for a moment then continues down the road sprinting. Miwa puts Wasabi into a gallop to chase it down all the while asking herself why the wolf continues down the road instead of heading for cover.

The chase continues for another 10 minutes then the wolf darts into the woods. Miwa has to slow down so that she can negotiate around the trees. The wolf is nowhere to be seen now and she doesn’t know how to track it. Just as she is about to give up the wolf shows itself again 30 meters ahead. It partially covers itself in the bushes, but she can see it. She works her way to it.

The hunt continues for another half hour. Three times she loses it but within a few minutes the wolf shows itself. As she loses it the last time she stumbles upon the scene. There is a village girl there face down in the leaves, her pants are off and she is dead. The wounds on her are fresh. This happened in the last 8 hours.

Miwa dismounts and studies the corpse. Miwa is not an investigator, but she knows battle wounds. This was not done by tooth and claw it was done with blades. She turns the girl over. She looks into the dead eyes of a 14-year-old girl from the other side of the village named Izanami. Her throat also has a blue line around it, the front that looks much like a necklace. Miwa knows differently.

She looks at her surroundings, “You did not do this. The question is who did?” It is then the wolf makes another appearance almost right in front of her. It gets low on its hunches and growls at her. She stands and draws her blade but instead of attacking her it takes off again as a slow run. Miwa immediately mounts her horse and follows.

The game of cat and mouse continues for another 45 minutes when she comes upon the next scene. Two men in footman’s armor are laying on the ground. There is also a katana lying beside one and a broken spear near the other. Both have wounds upon their legs. Chunks of flesh have been taken out of their thighs and their throats have been ripped open. She checks for Mons upon their armor finding none she accounts, “Ronin!”

She looks up again, “Thank you. I will hunt you no more as long as livestock does not disappear. I owe you this boon.”

She goes back to the first scene. She finds the girls missing clothes and dresses her. She then sets the girl’s body just forward of her saddle and makes her way to the village. When she gets there, she explains to the council what has happened. The village together with her weep for the lost girl the next day as the body is burned and a funeral is held.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa writes in her journal at the crossroads campfire:

It is strange. I bought sending crystals from Seth the red wizard some time ago to contact my Daimyo. Somehow, he must have been also thinking of me to for I had a dream just last night. In the dream Daimyo Barasume was trying to reach me from a withering portal. As I awaken the portal closed in front of me.

When I got to town the next day to train among the populace, I decided to break one of the crystals and send its magic. With these sending crystals I can send a 25-word message directly to my lord and he may reply back with 25 words. My message was.

Daimyo Barasume. This Miwa.
Training on Isle of Thain.
Want to start trade company.
Great potential. Yes/No
Permission. Yes/No

I got word back.

Coming.
Place marker for Wu-jen advisor.

I placed a marker at the crossroads behind the hill overlooking the goblins, and waited.

Two men came through. A 'samurai' and his guard. Both dressed in proper regalia. But something was off.

The Samauri said his name was Kin-Ak-Cho. That's not even a Kozakurian name. Its a mainland name. It is very, very rare to have a non Kozakurian be samurai. Has it happened? Yes, but it is so rare that I have never seen or heard of one in my lifetime. He told me that Shogun Barasume was busy and send him: My husband to be.

I was surprised first by Daimyo Barasume becoming a Shogun. He must have taken quite a lot of land to be made shogun by the emperor. The second is that this Kin-Ak-Cho was to be my husband. This breaks all traditions of marriage.

My lord the now shogun by tradition must plainly state in person that I am to marry someone. Second, I am not to know who it is until my lord either declares it or hands me off to my new husband in person as a lord would. It makes me so suspicious.

Drasta was with me and also told me that this man is somehow wrong in the way he walks and presents himself. She told me the way he walks and the way he holds himself is to different than my own. Samauri are trained almost from birth how to walk, use etiquette, even how to eat and drink.

Still, I am bound by tradition, duty and honor to show this man my workings in Thain and my purpose other than my quest. To start a trading company in one of the cities. When, I do I hope to have the people around me that can ferret out the truth I can not as of yet perceive.

What I do know about him is that he said that Barasume needed his land and troops to become Shogun and that he had his choice of a wife.

He knows my Go name, My war name. Little Wolverine.

He is young and handsome but not tall enough for my tastes.

He does not use proper etiquette especially with meeting an Onna-bugeisha.

He is evasive and does not answer questions directly applied to him. This gives me the most suspicion. A samurai is not likely to do this unless on some evasive mission from their lord.

The thing that bothers me most is the dream. Where is my lord Shogun Barasume? Is he somehow captured? Has he been kidnapped, and I am the bargaining chip? I worry for my lord's safety most. I will use another sending crystal before the appointed hour of the tour. I will try to contact lord Barasume again and try to get an explanation directly. I will also try to call to my friends in Thain to help me figure out what is going on. We will figure it out.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes back into the jungle to start the first of a 10-day training period. She uses up all her energy and then some. The dragon seems to pace uneasily as he watches her go through her sword work routines. Raptors eventually come as they always do in ones and twos. She almost absently either slices their heads off as they attack or sweeps their feet taking them off then with a riposte skewer them holding the body up with her sword for the dragon to have a snack.

After she has completely exhausted herself, she goes up to her hammock and opens her journal.

It has been the most significant two days of my journey in the west when I went down into the cities to meet the people again. I think I will speak of Kin later. I will talk about my normal dealings with the people of Thain.

Other than my meeting with Kin my first day was uneventful. I worked some bounties and helped others with their bounties. I spent many an hour meeting both new and old people at the crossroads. Talia met me there in the afternoon and mentioned she needed coin. I took her to the orcs and their stronghold. She did rather well and learned various tactics to help defeat them from me.

The second day was busy. Drasta met me at the crossroads and told me about an arena that the swamp people had reopened. We went up to investigate. There were many people there. Orn, Halla, Knights of Keis, Bunny, Drasta of course, Swamp people, and even a few elven from the Feywood. Some fought beasts. Others fought each other. I was in the first match and fought Drasta. She defeated me in the jungle arena but that day I was not at my best. Today I left no time for her tricks quickly slicing my blade through her liver then subduing her with the flat of my blade upon her knee.

She was taken and tended too: recovering quickly under the care of the swamp people’s druids. I had won my match and watched the others. Bunny fought a giant of a dire wolf and won. Orn asked me to hold his shroud for him. He did not think it fair to fight elves with his shroud of darkness on. He told me I was one of the few he trusted to keep his things for him. I felt honored by the remark.

When it was all over the winners were gifted a pick of treasure. I took a cloak of great protection made by the black elves. It has its weaknesses so if I use it; I need to think about what magics or elemental forces that may attack me when I do.

After this was all over some of us rushed down to Sandburrow to meet the mayor. There as a great fire giant that was unleashed and was coming down Hammersong Mountain with elementals and other giants to escape capture from the dwarves and ravage the halfling town. The mayor worried for both his people, the crops and the strange mirrors in the fields whose purpose is to make the crops grow faster.

We calmed him and set about the defense of the city. Hugdish was with me along with Drasta and Brehnna. Four adventurers against an army. The first assault was at the gate. Giants stormed it. I lead the attack knowing that my force of ki lets me regenerate with every organ damage, severed limb of a foe and every kill I succeed at. We repelled the assault easily.

The next force came down from the hills. Fire and air elementals assaulted us. Being partially resistant to fire I concentrated on the fire elementals. It was a grand mistake on strategy on my part. Though I did well against the living fire the air elementals assaulted me with lightning which sorely wounded me. Thankfully my companions saw this and came to my defense Hugdish, Drasta and Brehnna took them on while they were assaulting me and destroyed the air elementals. Still the battle had worked its way into the fields and one of the mirrors and several crops were destroyed.

We had a small breather as the great elder fire giant Gipheous walked down toward the city. I used many of my healing potions with help from the others to restore myself. When the great giant came into the city, I used a special portion I had acquired: a potion of the colossus. I grew ten times my size and my Ki was reinforced to such an extent that I could hardly contain it.

I fought him one on one to keep the attention away from my comrades. They in turn protected me from the elementals and giant forces that swirled around him in a defensive posture. I fought the giant with all my heart. When I found that I was weakening I shouted out lead him to the beach.

I and my companions led him to the edge of the beach where the Sandburrow navy took over. As cannonball and hell fire descended upon the giant we scattered, fighting what was left of his entourage. They hit him over and over, weakening him, giving us a respite to regenerate or use what little healing supplies we had left. When they ran out of ammunition, we sank to the task of containing him. Others by this time had joined us.

Derhag was there. He has modified a containment grenade to which I have several myself along with sigils of containment. He told us the giant must be weaker for the sphere of containment to capture him.

This is where I faulted in my own conscience. As we struck him defenseless and, on the ground, I called out for his surrender several times. It must have been 5 or 6 I do not know. He said he would rather die than surrender. Derhag called out that we must contain him not kill him. This goes against all my training. The giant wanted an honorable death. He pleaded for an honorable death and was in fact an honorable enemy. Several times I weighed and wanted to climb up on him to plunge my sword directly into his heart to end his life as a true warrior. My companions by word stopped me.

In my view the giant should have had his request granted. I do not know what the dwarves have in store for the contained giant. It could be to restart their forges. If this is so I have not done my duty as an Onna-bugeisha. The giant should have gotten his wish according to code. We as a group were victorious. I, as an individual and representative of my country, have failed.

I will mediate on this and try to become better and more understanding of bushido in my failure this day. I will have to speak of my second meeting with Kin on another. It is getting late. I am exhausted both physically and emotionally. I will dream about the past again tonight. There is no rest for the weary. There is no true rest for a samurai until we yield to death on the battlefield.
CTP team member