Barasume Miwa
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa wakes up calmly. She had just been through the worse few days of her life, and she seems calm. She opens her journal.

I know who I am now. I know who I really am. So many of my memories were too old or I forced them from my head. I could not stop this and now it is done.

I know who I am now. I am a flawed woman with a corrupted nature sewn into me through years of training by my father. I have made my mistakes. I have also had my victories both out in the world and within my own soul. I know this now. I will ever have to question myself and my motives. With these dreams I have found the tools to fight this thing inside me. The corruption of spirit that when caught off guard or in pain comes out of my being. As I continue down this path of life. I will endeavor to be a better person than I was just yesterday. In this way I hope to finally rid myself of some of these flaws within. I will never be pure in bushido for no mortal can reach those heights. I will however continue my path to reach as near perfection as I may while still drawing breath…………

Miwa catches something out of the corner of her eye. A man in robes is slowly approaching. She sees a bit of fear on his face as he scans the areas. Sniffles also catches his scent and watches the small figure.
Two raptors come out from behind the dragon. He takes out one with a bite and gobbles it down. The other raptor makes a b-line to the man. Miwa quickly picks up her calvary bow and shoots it through the breast killing it almost instantly.

The man looks up and squints. Miwa remains motionless. He starts to walk to Sniffles again very cautiously not knowing what to expect. As he gets closer Miwa sees that he is Kozakurian and also has the imperial Mon on his sleeve. She climbs down from her nest. When she meets the ground, a sparrow flies down from a tree and transforms into the priestess she has met on her journey before.

As she walks up, they bow to her. She recognizes them. The man speaks first. “Midnight Bloom?”

“Hai, I am.”

“Mori Akihiko, Wu-jen in the service of the emperor, a pleasure lady Barasume. I have grave news. An ambassador has died, and we need a replacement. Because you are one of the only people in your class out in the west, we are sending you as a replacement. I will teleport you to a place called Suzail. From there you are to board a ship to your destination and make yourself ready to serve as ambassador until such time as you have ended your quest. On the day of your court day with your Shogun another of my station will teleport you directly to court to prove to him your success.” He holds out an imperial decree.

Miwa accepts the letter, breaks the seal, and reads the decree. She nods, “I need a day to write some letters other than that I will miss my friends here especially Elvalith, Drasta, Jenik and of course sniffles. Come back tomorrow I will be ready.

Akihiko bows slightly and backs away from the dragon cautious of what it might do. The priestess stays. “May I speak with you, Lady Barasume?”

“Of course, priestess.”

“You have ended a long road…….and now…...are set on a path to a new life. What do you think about that Miwa? How do you feel?”

“So much I had forgotten. So much I have repressed. Still, somehow, I feel calm now. I cannot describe it any other way.”

The priestess smiles, “Your appointment?”

“I am not meant for such politics. I am not wise to the world. I am but a warrior and married to the life of an Onna-bugeisha. I am not sure priestess that I can fulfill the emperor’s wishes, but I will walk this road if it is meant to be. I will look to improve myself every day in both sword and with people.”

“And of yourself?”

“I am so flawed. I have this deep seeded evil somewhere inside me. My poor choices have come back to haunt me in the night, time and again. I think now after these dreams I may just find a way to crush these demons inside perhaps. I will work on this ever on that I may be a better person and an honor for my family, clan, and emperor.

“We are all flawed, Miwa. Me included. The path of life can be long or short. What the gods seek, and herald are those that seek to become better selves. You are on that path now. You have finally bloomed. Stay steady on your road, a better life, a life worth living. Continue to fight your war and in the end, you will find a better future for both you and your family to be.

I will leave you now to your meditations and writings. Be at peace child.”

“One question priestess if I may?”

The hengeyokai looks up and nods. “Which of the 8 million watches over me. You said to me once that one does, yet you never named them?”

“I do not know, Midnight bloom. If one of the powers wishes to remain in shadow, then they will. It is not for us mortals to know these things. Just know that one does and most likely has your best interest in their hearts.”

Miwa bows, “Be at peace.”

The priestess shrinks into a sparrow and takes off to the west. Miwa watches then looks back at the dragon. “Our time is at an end Sniffles. I hope you may find another to protect you from those that would do harm. I must due my duty. You be good you stupid dragon.”

Miwa begins to pack her things and writes letters to those she has on the island she has unfinished business with.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

When the 24-year-old woman walks from the gangplank onto the ship the captain greets her with a formal bow. She in turn recognizes him with the same. That captain is not an eastern man but has known enough easterners that he knows their customs, and this was by all regards without saying a very important customer.

She wears a kimono and has bare feet. That didn’t not fool him one instant and though the kimono is a plain red and white affair the other things she has on her body tell him this woman should be handled as carefully as a venomous viper. Her skin is light with a peachy-yellow undertone. Her hair is raven black long and worked into a war bun of either the country of Wa or Kozakura. The kimono itself has not one but two Mons upon it. The top being her own clan heraldic symbol. He does not know what clan. The bottom one the one that lends him to question is the Mon of the Imperial family of Kozakura meaning that in some way the woman works directly for the emperor of Kozakura.

Her face is badly scared by sword and most open flesh on her arms have both old sword scars and puncture wounds. There is a large sword scar going along her cheek on the right side from below her ear following above her chin line. Another even more prominent wound goes down her left brow just missing her eye and round her nose splitting her lip just off the middle giving her a crooked smile. There are other old sword scars and nips on her face from across the bride of her nose and along her forehead and cheeks. She would have been quite beautiful if combat had not marred her so greatly, however the dense amount of scarring makes her face look ugly to most.

The woman carries not one katana but two along with a wakizashi attached to the left side katana. She has a kaiken (a ten-inch double bladed dagger) nestled in her odi: A wide belt that both woman and men use in her homeland. The captain also notices that her hair sticks are made of steel and look to be poisoned. Her hand fan has steel ribs, their ends extended and sharpened, and her hair band is made of steel wire. Tiny diamond chips glued along its length. Most likely a garrot where she can rip through the throat of any adversary she can lock within its embrace.

Measuring her carefully the captain assumes she can only be an Onna bugeshia (A female samurai) He checks the ledger and looks for the right name. “Lady Barasume?”

“Yes.”

“Louis here will take you to your room.”

“Thank you, Captain.”

Louis take her bags, and they go down to midships. The captain whistles to his first mate who has been watching. “Make sure Lady Barasume remains undisturbed Hank.”

“I don’t think you’ll have to worry, Capt. One look at that woman and you know she’s a predator.”

“Well then: No need to worry.”

For two days Miwa comes out on decks to stretch and meditate. No one disturbs her. She questions this a bit but assumes her ugliness keeps the sailors away from her. She eats alone while making journal entries. She has traveled by ship before so does not get sick. On the third night she finishes her dinner, going back to her cabin. Once inside she feels a sharp pain in the back of her head. Her world goes black.

When she wakes up, she finds herself sitting in a chair with her hands bound by thick steel chains behind her. Her feet also bound each one to a leg of the chair. Even her torso is chained so she can barely move. She checks her Kaiken. It is still there. She looks up to find four men in the room. Two are wearing red demon masks. One has all her weapons on her bed including her court weapons inspecting them. The last sits in another chair facing her a foot away. The man facing her wears Koryoan garb and looks in his mid-50s.

“Ah, The Hummingbird has awakened. Greetings Lady Barasume. Do you know who I am?”

Miwa looks at each one before answering. She studies each man. The two masked ones must be two Kin’s brother’s ninja that survived. The other appears to be wu-jen or priest. She turns her head back to the man and studies him, “The Father.”

“I told Iseul not to go after you. That you were too dangerous. Both him and Kin convinced me he had to try to retrieve your dragon friend to use as a deterrent against your Shoguns ambitions. But who would control the dragon? We also needed you. Of course, Iseul had other plans to kill Kyo and marry you so that he could take your Shogun’s place legitimately. It was a good plan.

But then he missed something. He missed how loyal you are to your clan leader. All the research he did, and you still outwitted him because of your damned loyalty. I and Kin of course after learning disapproved of such a bold move against a Kozakurian shogun. And in the end, you left Kin no choice but to give you sanction for revenge. Well played Hummingbird. But you see Iseul was still my son. I must do something.”

The elder is interrupted. “I have catalogued and identified the weapons, master and Iseul’s soul is here.”

The elder turns to the wu-jen in surprise, “Here? How?”

The mage picks up one of her katana’s and immediately drops it. The katana is the only one with a gem sunk into its habaki. “It’s alive master.”

Miwa speaks, “That blade is a malicious sentient blade called nightmare. It’s a soul stealer and a constant burden. It will bring you to ruin if you take it. Yes, I put that blade into Iseul’s heart after defeating him releasing a captured demon’s soul. Now he fuels the magic of the blade. A fitting punishment for attempting to assassinate my shogun.”

The old man studies her again then looks back to the man examining the weapons, “What else do you have Shin-Hae?”

“One katana is tempered in her blood; The other is tempered in another’s blood that accounts for her three katanas.”

“The other is the husband’s blade. It has a black Ito (hilt wrapping).”

“Two wakizashi’s. One tempered in her blood the other a poison blade.”

“Interesting.” The father’s eyes turn to Miwa and back to his man. “What else?”

“Her daikyu is also as her blood worked into the finish the other is a tuigan calvary bow. The others are the standard court weapons of an Onna-bugeisha of a shoguns court. Diamond encrusted garrot, steel hair sticks, both iron and steel fighting fans although the poisons she has from them are quite lethal and rare, pufferfish poison and platypus poison. And last but not least her Kaiken.”

The old man looks back at her. “Take all of it except those with blood worked within them and her kaiken. If we take her kaiken she will hunt us to the ends of the earth until she gets it back same with the blooded weapons. No, I want to end this here and now. We still own lands next to Barasume lands.”

Realizing that they are not going to kill her, Miwa looks into the old man’s eyes. “I don’t understand?”

He studies her again, “Hump,” Then undoes a scroll. “By imperial decree of Emperor Hojo Kawabuko, Lady Barasume Miwa is assigned to the island of Adalee as Ambassador of the Kozakurian people. Be at peace ambassador. Quite the reward, Ambassador.

This of course complicates things. I do not want a war. If I would kill you not only will Shogun Barasume seek revenge but also the emperor would. He would seize my lands and throw my family out of the country. I cannot have that after years of hard work on my business dealings in Kozakura. No lady Barasume it would bring me much more pleasure to have you commit suicide in front of Kyo for failing your quest.

From what I understand you have little over three years to become one with your sword. A true mistress of the blade. You’ve almost already achieved that in five years of wandering the western lands. Oh, but I have other plans.”

The two masked ninja walk to her chair and position themselves to her sides. They both grab her head. She fights them but it is not use. Chained as she is she cannot use her strength to fight them off. One of them pinches the back of her jawline forcing her mouth open. The father takes out a vial of brackish liquid. He pours it in her mouth then covers it and her nose with his hands. Miwa has no choice but to swallow. She feels instantly cold as the potion sucks her ki almost dry. The old man sits back down.

“It wont kill you. I will make you weaker. So weak you will have to start all over again.” He smiles. You most likely will not have the time now to complete your quest. You will fail Hummingbird and I will enjoy watching you slit your own throat in failure on your appointed court date.

Release her.”

When the ninja releases her, she lashes out with what little speed and strength she has. He easily blocks the blow and slams his fist into her temple. Her world once again goes dark. When she wakes up she is in bed being tended to by the ship’s doctor. He gives her something and she goes back to sleep in a haze.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa finds a quiet place at ruby lake for training. It is near the local monastery. She sets up camp where the monks will not disturb her and where she will not disturb them. It is a place she may also keep watch on the local river dragons that inhabit the lake. The dragons themselves seem to be hostile to humans so she keeps enough distance between herself and them. A quiet corner near the lake. A perfect spot where she may train undisturbed.

After she sets up a shelter and hangs her bags of rations so bears will not get to them easily, she sets about doing stretching routines. She’s not quite ready for sword work for much has happened the first five days since she came to the island. She needs to reflect on everything she feels and thinks of the ordeals of both coming here to this new land and what has happened since. When she tires after a few hours of Taikiken she goes to her tent and opens her journal.

Kin’s father found me on the ship and drained me of my ki. His point being that I could never make up for the time lost in the five years of training I had already achieved. In five days, I have made much of that back. I am now near to where I was when I left the Island of Thain. It still may take several months to make the rest up, but I still have 3 years to do it. I feel confident that I will. It seems being drained previously by Lady Wolf worked in my favor. I am not unaccustomed to the process but things this time have changed.

My Sword, which has part of my soul within is not keeping up with my body’s progress. In Thain it did. Here there seems to be a slight barrier to uniting my ki between myself and sword. Again, my husband’s sword which also seemed to grow with me when I was at Thain is also growing much more slowly. Does that mean my husband no longer watches over me? Or is his soul still searching for where I went? These are really questions for monks and priests to argue. As for myself? I must continue down the road of my quest.

There is another change in me as I have tried to make up for lost time these last five days. I believe this has something to do with my dreams. I see more understanding in the world now. I see things I did not before. It is a curious thing. I’ve also lost some of my flexibility. My strength is still here and growing but I have lost a bit of speed and quick movement. I will work on this to get it back. It may take longer but I need to be more supple in limb if I want to perfect the hummingbird style of fighting.

I’m not sure why the Emperor and Kyo sent me to this place. I have not seen another Kozakurian or even anyone from Wa here yet. There are several cities and small towns I have been too so far. A port city to the east much like Webster’s Landings with an inn at a crossroads. It is almost like a mirror. From there it gets more fractured from Thain.

If you go north and west, you come to a forest and there is a city of elven that live among the trees. They are polite and seem to treat humans with respect. It’s not like Feywood at all. You go south and you eventually come to ruby lake and a monastery devoted to Fire Bright, fire god and son of Namikami and Nagikami. The westerners call him Kossuth. I wonder if anyone knows I stand among the Called of the Thain grove and that Fire bright himself gave me guardianship of a fire tool to defeat the Para elemental slimes that plagued Thain for almost a year. It does not matter but it does remind me of those times when I was a member of the grove with no druids.

South of the monastery is the small town of Feysong. It looks to be mostly halfling and human. They have a strange cave there I have not figured out yet. Maybe a meeting place for the town itself. I also saw a great sleeping dragon at the edge of town. It was green. I’m not sure of its demeanor so I tip-toed around the great beast. It reminded me of sniffles and my trials with trying to tame and ride him. I think that was a once in a lifetime thing, but I did get to ride him one time when he was scared and needed me to help guide him. I great privilege. So now I have ridden two dragons. It seems my path collides with the beasts more often than not. Is this a sign? I don’t know but will be cautiously aware of any dragon like creature from here on out. They are powerful beings that should not be taken for granted.

I also found an outpost of the Hellshire here. Strange, this place seems to have such a strong connection with the last place I trained.

I also heard that the largest city of the island is west of the crossroads, but the road is currently washed out. You cannot travel there at this time. I’ll have to wait and see if my fellow countrymen are settled in part of the city. I do have a job to do for the emperor. I know that I am charged with watching over my people and seek any trade agreement I may muster while training here. I think that would be the place to start. In time perhaps if I need a place set up there as a makeshift embassy.

This land is much less developed and wilder than Thain is. There are not so many adventurers here. At least that I have met in my first five days wandering and getting to know the lands. I have met a few elven and humans. Some I would not trust as far as I may extend my sword. There was one gnoll cooking something at the crossroads I happened upon. He told me it was snow dragon or ice dragon or something. I cut off a few pieces of meat and then saw some humanoid bones behind them. I slid my bowl away politely and would partake no more. Lessoned learned. When a gnoll invites you to eat with them know exactly what they are cooking.

I did better in Thain than I did in Narfell. When I left, people did not want to burn me at the stake. I will miss many friends from Thain, but the emperor and my shogun has called me. I must listen. That is all I think I should write for now. Dusk had come and with it a light rain. Tomorrow I will work with my swords in earnest as I continue my path to attain perfection with my sword.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa straightens out her camp by ruby lake. After which she goes to the shore and meditates, keeping an eye out for the Chiang Lung (The river dragon) that calls these waters its home. She brings her journal with her and as she slips into a meditative state she begins to write.

After training for 5 days. I came out into public for 2 days. On the first I started my field training with some bounties that were successful. All the while I was thinking about what the elven smith had said. She had told me that she could awaken my weapons with something called elemental and power sparks. I had no idea what these sparks are, but they did intrigue me. While meditating on them and how I might find them Ryzric a human wu-jen came to the crossroads. He got me to go to the volcano on some work that he was studying.

We went up and back down the volcano fighting fire elementals as we went. On the other side we found a town full of ash and smoke. Burnt zombies walked along the ruins. They all seemed to have an affinity to fire, however we easily cleared them out of the area. There is a tower there. We went up to the top to find a wizard studying the volcano and the manifestations of the fire elementals. Ryzric did some business with him, and we left, however we did not leave the tower. We missed the main exit and went down below.

There we found another city buried in ash where lava tubes had cut through and showed the various homes of the people that once lived there. The town above must have been built atop the ruins of the previous one. Here we also found zombies, but these were ancient and cursed zombies not easily defeated by the two of us. I fought while Ryzric kept throwing water upon me to keep me from getting burned.

Two strange things happened while we were there. The first was that a zombie spoke to us and told us how all of them were cursed when they died to walk among the ruins. I had never seen a zombie before I was banished to the west, and this was the first time one ever spoke. It really intrigued Ryzric. He had so many questions for the zombie. Most of them remained unanswered. Either the zombie did not know them or would not say the answers. I think most likely it did not know them.

As we continued in our exploration, I found only debris in the homes and sadly Childrens’ toys. When we came to the back of the open area of lava tubes, we found a temple. We went inside to find that it was a temple dedicated to Kossuth. The one we Kozakurians call fire Bright. Ryzric stayed well away from the altar and the two fire elemental guardians to either side. I came up to the alter and paid my due respects to the god: lighting incense to please him and offering my fish rations in a bowl. I prayed for a peaceful existence, and we left. Ryzric seemed offput by the whole of the affair and did not speak as much as we went back to the crossroads.

Later that day I decided to explore for these sparks. The first I tried to go after was the spark of cold. I went north to Feldon. From there I explored the white mountain. It is full of polar bears and winter wolves. Both very dangerous but even more dangerous were the frost giants of the mountain. They roamed around hunting for meat, and it seems that humans are on their menu. I managed to kill all that I encountered searching the slopes of mountain. As I neared the summit, I saw a sparkle on an outcrop. There I found a strange crystal-like small rod. This must be the spark. I took it back and confirmed it was a spark of cold.

Now that I knew what they looked like and how they gave off a scattered light I went back to the volcano searching for the fire spark. I searched everywhere from cave to cave up and down the side of the volcano until I at last found the sparkle that my eye searched for. The problem though was it was in the middle of a lava lake. Not even my fire resistance could help me here.

I had heard of sects and shrines to Fire Bright in the mountain jungles of Kozakura. There those that honor the fire lord dance across hot embers in exuberance during their celebrations on bare feet. They sustain no burn. While they do this for the god somehow protects them from burning. The problem with that of course is I am not a highland jungle native. I’m a lowlander thus I know of the traditional dances for rain and to stop the flood. To turn a typhoon or to celebrate and pray for good crops. I do not know the jungle dances. Still, I needed that spark.

I took off my armor and put my best Kimono on. My court kimono. I also set all my bags down but of course kept my kaiken and daisho. I am not allowed to wear shoes unless in armor, so I knew my feet were already hardened. I also know they would burn. I put a necklace of fire protection on and downed a potion of endurance and speed. Once ready I prayed to Fire Bright a moment and literally danced light as a feather as I could make myself across the lava picking up the spark and dancing back praising the god’s name. My feet did have some burns on them, but I stayed afloat the lava and managed to only have a little damage to my feet. It must have been the blessing of Kossuth that sustained me upright in the lake without sinking down and dying. I thank the god for it.

It did not take me long to figure out where the lightning and water sparks were. I will let those remain a mystery in case this journal is stolen or lost, and someone finds it. I had the hardest time with the lightning spark. It was hidden. I went to a place I thought it would be and could not find it. It took me a while to figure it out. It was there just hidden from sight. Once I retrieved the lightning spark, I found the water spark was quite easy to find and also in an obvious but hidden place.

Now I have all 4 elemental sparks that this elven smith seeks. I have failed as of yet to get a spark of power. She told me that in time I may draw it from my own body using my natural ability to control Ki……but how? I must meditate on this.

On the second day of my field work I received my first challenge as ambassador. The mayor of Feysong, a farming village south of the crossroads, put out a call for adventurers. I was the first to arrive and greeted her with my court name Ambassador Mayonaka Saku. While we waited for others to show she told me of a dragon that lived in town. She told me it was a problem, and she would like me to encourage it to leave to live somewhere else. I told her I would make no promises, but I would speak to the dragon and see what could be done.

We waited for a time until other people showed up to help her with the more pressing problem. Eventually others did. Ryzric showed up along with a dwarven named Giterdunn, an elven by the name of Belorfin and a hin by the name of Merriam. The dark man of shadows from house Mistari also showed but left in good time disinterested in what was being called for.

After all were there the Mayor, Rose Dixon, told us about an orphanage that was in town where parentless children stay. She told us one of the parents of a child had been found. A ship captain by the name of Jones. He was supposed to dock at the big city to the north and swing down to Newport then to Feysong to pick up his missing son. He told her by letter that he would go through gnoll territory to get to Newport. He never arrived so the mayor sent us up to investigate.

We took the caravan up to Newport then made our way north along the coast into the gnoll lands. There we encountered some resistance from the local monster tribes. As we started west to the main villages of the creatures’ resistance turned heavy with quite a number of advanced wu-jen and weapon masters. I and Dunn took care of most of the weapon masters while the others took out archers and shamans.

As we closed in on the main encampment, we started to hear drums beating. We had to fight our way into the encampment against a sea of angry gnolls and in the center we found captain Jones tied up and a gnoll princess in the center. The gnoll had taken a liking to the captain and decided to marry him.

We thought it would be best not to fight this female gnoll being she looked like she would take the whole of the party by herself. She had a powerful glowing double-sword she slung across the back of her shoulder and looked like she would stand for no shenanigans.

Ryzric took over and negotiated with her. while we waited for a chance to free Jones and make off with him. Merriam snuck into the pen they were holding the naked human. He cut his bonds and gave him a dagger telling him to await further instructions.

Ryzric worked with the princess. The princess was bound and determined that she would wed someone this day and offered to trade Jones for Giterdunn the dwarf. I thought this quiet funny thinking about a little 4 ft dwarf and a 6ft plus gnoll princes uniting. I teased him in good old war camp fashion. I know, I know. I always hated war camp for the way the other samurai and Onna bugeisha teased me about Ryuu but somehow, I just could not help myself.

Ryzric, Giterdunn, and the princess went over the hill to her hovel to speak more while I, Merriam and Belorfin rushed over to the pen. We got Jones up and over the fence. Once done with that we ran for our lives. Belofin disappeared for a while. We found out later he cleared the way for us in the back area of the gnoll territory along the shoreline.

We made it back to Newport Ryzric and Giterdunn catching up with us along the way. They had found their own way to escape. I’m not sure I want to know exactly how. We went to Feysong and the mayor where she offered us a reward. Most did not take anything. I told her that I would seek a favor sometime in the future. She begrudgingly accepted my offer.

After the party broke up, I stuck around. Feysong is built along the south side of a large lake. While exploring I found a cave along the western part of the lake. Going into it I immediately smelled dragon scent or what I thought of as dragon scent. It must be where the dragon of Feysong lives. I went in not knowing what reception I would get.

The cave seems to be recently excavated and very large. There is dry ground separated by deep pools of water that I can only assume are fed by the lake somehow. In the entrance area there are lanterns for light and several bookshelves. I was perusing the titles of several books when the dragon walked in from behind me.

It did not immediately try to eat me, which is a good thing. I’m too stringy and crunchy anyway as Sniffles found out. It was surprised I would walk in on a dragon’s lair and spoke of her surprise. I think it’s (she) but I did not check. I was glad that this one could speak even with the irritating booming voice that dragons speak with. She told me her name is Galia. I gave her my court name Ambassador Mayonaka Saku. She was surprised that one of my station was even on the island.

We talked at great length about the town and mayor of Feysong. It seems that the dragon had struck a verbal agreement. In this agreement Galia informed me that the mayor, in exchange for Galia’s protection of the town, could live within its territory. If this is true, then the mayor has no rectitude for removing the dragon from the town’s lands. Thus, until I know for sure the full of the situation, I can no longer be the mayor’s advocate in this situation.

The dragon and I spoke at some length about some philosophy and ethics. Gaila offered me the opportunity to meditate in her lair anytime I felt the need. It was an offer of friendship or acquaintance I believe, or it could be that I am an interesting specimen for her to study. Most likely the latter. In any event I left her abode in good grace. I gave the dragon some advice before leaving. I told her whenever making contracts with humans it is best to have it written down so that people like me, those who advocate for others, may weigh the merits of the contract before deciding on how to go about further negotiations. I think Galia took this to heart and will learn from it.

Later I met Ryzric at the campfire near the crossroads. We discussed the dragon of Feysong. He informed me that green dragons of the west are inherently evil. It is something I must take into consideration when dealing with Galia further. I will write a letter to the mayor in the next few days to arrange a meeting with her and Galia. Perhaps I can solve this situation for the better of the Feysong community.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

It has been quite some time since writing in this journal. Since my last entry I have found many mysteries about the island itself. The river dragon or whatever it is seems to be trapped within Lake ruby unless angered excessively. I have been trying to help it. It seems it can be calmed to the point where you may bathe or swim with it. I at one time tried to get an intelligent animal to talk to it while I held and stroked part of the dragon’s great head. It became very angered broke free of the lake waters and went on a rampage killing two monks of the monastery.

I sent my condolences to the abbot of the place. To help the people that live along the lake and surrounding area along with the dragon itself I am gathering other adventurers to help me solve the mystery of the creature. We are not so sure this is a true dragon or some form of mutation, wu-jen experiment or other thing. Along the companions I have gathered is Drasta who seems to have followed me from Thain, Galia a green dragon that doesn’t act like one (May be a shapeshifter or nature priestess) and an owner of a trade company by the name of Serto Duul’sosom who seems to talk to nature spirits. We plan to figure this great mystery out about this creature. The crystal in the middle of the lake and if or if not, he is chained to the waters in some form of cage.

In regard to Serto: He is the owner of a trading company in Feldton a city to the northwest of the crossroads. I spoke with him at length about bringing Kozakuran goods from the city of Telflemm in Thesk to the island and back on bringing goods from the island back for import to the homeland. The meeting was fruitful. He is most willing to move the goods for a 10% charge of goods. It needs to be confirmed by the administration of foreign affairs, but I am sure it will be acceptable. I would much rather he charge by ton of cargo, but I will take what I can get with approval of the proposal.

I still need to find merchants to sell their goods for export to Kozakura. I will work on this task when the main city Fandonia becomes available for travel. I learned that a plague now infects their city. No one knows how many have died or have become lame from whatever illness plagues them.

I have completed my grand quest after almost 5 years in the west. I am one with my sword. A true sword mistress of the blade. I do not know where to do from here except to hone both my combat abilities and my very nature now that I am at peace with myself. I am banished little over 3 more years until my testing. The more I practice and perfect my style the easier it will be for me when I am tested by Shogun Barasume. I also have the job of being ambassador of Kozakura for these lands. I will work at that though I have yet to see any of my people here of yet.

There is a strange grand mystery about this island. For those of great prowess, and talent they may step into a cold dystopian future of the land. I think those that can journey there can do this because they were meant to help stop it from happening. At least that is what I was told. I don’t know it is a confusing thing for me to digest. I do know it offers opportunities for one to both challenge oneself and to grow. Thus, I find myself often in this future.

I went to my first event as an ambassador. I wore proper attire and makeup. It was a gnomish celebration of explosions. I did not quite get it all but there were fireworks much like when the Kozakurians have grand festivals. It was pretty. On a strange note, everyone at the party became trapped in a bubble like a giant soap bubble. It did not affect us for good or ill other than if anyone encountered the bubble you are in, they would be enveloped in their own bubble. When I left, I still had my bubble. As I trained in the jungle the one of the great land lizards with their long claws popped it. I was somewhat relived.

There is much more I could write however I feel these are the high points of my life between journal entries. I am doing well in my job so far and have to write a report to my superior soon. I will do that tomorrow.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Letter to the Kozakuran Administration of Foreign Affairs

Peace be with you Minister Yoshida Masato,

I have now been at my post some 6 weeks in the lands of Adalle. There are several city states upon the island controlling various amounts of territory surrounding themselves. I have temporarily set up a training camp where I stay until the largest city on the island Fandonia opens back up. It is currently beset by plague and there is no admittance within. All roads are closed.

Of the other cities the first I will list is Newland Bay. A small village with a sheriff that seems to be in charge. It is a port village and where many immigrants disembark from. Pyaransk is to the north along the coast of Newland Bay. It is a large city where all are welcome including certain humanoids that have a natural tendency for evil deeds. There is Feysong in the south where the mayor as made a deal with a large dragon for protection. Dragon’s demeanor is non-hostile but the type according to record has a prevalence for manipulative evil. The next city is Felton to the northwest of the island. It is a city mostly consisting of small folk called Hin. I have found an elven trading company there that is highly acute to bring goods from Kozakura via Telflamm at the end of the golden way on the Thesk coastline.

The last city I would like to site is the city of Leaves. It is an elven city between and to the west of both Newland Bay and Pyaransk. Elves are somewhat similar in nature to spirit folk but are also vastly different and have many breeds.

I have met with an owner of a trading company in Feldton by the name of Serto Duul’ssom. In the meeting we discussed his trading company’s ability to open trade between Adalee and our warehouses in Telflamm. He was very affordable and respectful. He wants paid 10% retail of all goods he imports and exports. I attempted to negotiate by the ton of goods but failed in this. Please advise if I should have another meeting to offer 10% wholesale instead. The goods may be pricy at this rate for each country to make the standard 20% markup for goods going back and forth.

He also will not handle the sale of these goods from Kozakura. I have two options or if you have better ideas please advise. The first send a Kozakuran shopkeeper to manage the sale of goods in Adalee. The second negotiate with trading families within the cities to sell our goods. Serto informed me he can and may handle overland logistics which would make his shipping prices more palatable. I will move according to your wise advice Minister Yoshida.

I have met no other noteworthy individuals except for the matron of the noble house Mistari. I have yet to meet her husband if she has one. The westerners can have female heads of household as I am sure you are aware. I have listened to the campfire talk of many adventurers and many rumors and innuendo surround this noble woman and her house. I have yet to form a solid opinion myself on the house and its affairs.

I have found no easterners as of yet in the lands. Kozakuran or other. I assume I will when Fandonia opens back up. Westgate is not so far from this island, and I know there is a shou quarter there. If I find any of our countrymen here, I will do my due diligence to represent them. and our culture to the western barbarians.

There is a creature in the great southern lake that looks exactly like a Chaing Lung. I do not know if it truly is or not and require as much research as you may spare on both Chaing Lungs and Mist dragons. The creature has been at times quite destructive to the local populace. I can whisper to it much like the Archeaox that I worked with in Thain. I have meaning to study the creature and find the best solution in moving it from near civilization. For this I need knowledge of these dragons and any other creature of similar build and habitat. When successfully integrated into another environment where it can no longer harm the populace of the island it will bring much honor and good will from the people of these lands to the emperor and people of our lands.

I await your approvals, council, and orders.

Be at peace,
Ambassador Mayonaka Sakuya
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes to camp and collects what she needs to train alone including food and water. She then goes into seclusion closer to the volcano along the ash fields that have formed a plateau along its slope. She sets up her camp to train alone for 5 or 10 days. After she opens her journal and begins to write.

As I have returned to public life away from my meditations, I have found my efforts fruitful. The books that I have written are in the library of the Thorned Rose. Those that wish to understand Bushido code may read its philosophy there.

I was able to purchase a head of the serpent like creature of Lake Ruby. The next thing I did was to take it to the future and preserve it where the fire elementals roam. Two days later I returned with a group. It included Ryzric, Lady Mistari, Saul, and Kin. I would have liked to have Serto, Hela, and Isnora there too, however it was not to be. They wanted to dissect the head in their stronghold with the city of Pyransk. I felt uncomfortable with that. I went to Galia’s cave luckily to find her sleeping there. As I had hoped, after she awakened, she was also interested in the process, so we dissected the specimen there.

Galia and Ryzric led the investigation while I assisted. I listened, watched, and followed what the two told me. We found out much about the serpent. First it is not anywhere near a true dragon. It has just enough within its make-up for me to be able to whisper to it. It shares many similarities to a creature that lives near my homeland called a Komodo dragon. The Komodo is a giant lizard inhabiting a few islands to the south of Kozakura. This serpent in the lake though is 10 times the size of a Komodo and more aquatic in nature. It has gills. Its eyes are made for the depths. This is most likely the reason why it is repelled by the crystal in the lake for bright light would hurt eyes like this. Its brain is very small for its size. In fact, it is doubtful that it even approaches the intelligence of a normal animal such as a dog or horse. It is also extremely sensitive to vibration through a few feeler whiskers on its snout. It is mainly a machine set to the base of instincts of Food, fight, and mate.

With the dissection complete all in attendance seemed to feel comfortable with the knowledge we have gained. Ryzric took the remains for further study and has promised both Galia and I a report on it. Here I must say something about House Mistari’s matron.

I have met Lady Mistari only twice. Once at the crossroads and once here where she injected herself and her house into my own research without asking. I of course, being the ambassador of Kozakura must remain rather neutral on the affairs of the island and its city state, However I do not think I will involve myself any more with this noble house.

Both times I have encountered Lady Mistari, she has mentioned the use of torture within her organization. The first time at the crossroads I was able to keep my composure. Being a recipient of my father’s tender mercies for many years I have a dim view of anyone that would use these methods for any reason. At the end of the dissection, she mentioned it again. I held my hand to my head to keep my reaction to what she said unseen. The other concerning thing about this woman is her complete lack of etiquette and her general rudeness to anyone around her. I understand when commoners and peasants lack proper behaviors. I do not understand a born and bred noble woman not having manners.

During the dissection she often tried to counter what my thoughts to the others were as if she were challenging my ideas and theories. This not the time to debate about the end results or goals of a particular research project. She offended me greatly with her challenging manners and rudeness Especially on things not known or set in stone. I will endeavor to try to keep her out of further projects that I take up. She is too disruptive. There is a place and time for debate, and she does not seem to know the proper times and places for these things. I will also try to avoid her generally. It should be easy. She has a house to run, and I have a job to do as an ambassador. I needs must find ways to counter and delay any activity of house Mistari pushing their way into my business. I can only take so much before my katana leaves its sheath.

The next step in the study of the Lake, serpent and crystal is to study the crystal in the lake itself. I have written a letter to Lady Magess Ranara Duauth. She is an expert in crystals and soul magic (what the westerners call necromancy) Our next field study will be on the crystal of the lake and how it affects the serpent (whom I have started to call Komodo) other than repelling the beast with its light. The current plan is I will go into the water and whisper to the serpent leading it to the other end of the lake. I will give a signal that it is safe to study the crystal. The others will then go to the crystal. I will give another signal if the Komodo escapes my control. Galia will be positioned so she may protect the others if the serpent does escape me. She is one of the few that can take on the serpent one on one. I will also try to subdue the beast if it gets out of hand though I do not think at this time I will be successful.

There are several theories on this crystal. Ranara has answered my letter. This is what she has said:

Ambassador Mayonaka,

I have received your request. It is agreeable that you consult me. These things are of interest to me. I will assist your investigation.

I am familiar with the Ruby Lake area and had conducted research there several years ago with Magess Clarrisse (who is now an inmate of the island asylum, I have been informed). You might find a report on our undertaking to be of interest, thus I will review my notes to recall more of the details.

At that time, there proved to be an infestation of a monarchy of Fae on an island on the lake, but the Fae were likely attracted to an anomalous domain in the area, not being necessarily the entire cause of threatening happenings there. There were several occurrences of note, such as the unusual disappearances of persons who were seemingly mentally compelled to walk into the lake, and then vanished, even under the eye of witnesses. An attempt to recall one such compelled person by a magical tether produced interference and nullification of said magick. And there was a mechanical drawing entrapment effect, which I myself experienced. Which could have caused death by drowning to organics who require breathing, however, that may not be a factor, as the missing persons seemingly vanished from existence, with no trace of their organic remains having been found.
At that time, I was unable to approach the crystal to properly examine it. Serto Ih’ara has explained that you report being able to enter the lake without mental affect and navigate unimpeded, except for reactions of the serpent. It seems likely that Fae occupation is no longer a hindrance, and only the serpent and the potential anomaly itself are to be encountered. If you are able to distract the creature for a time, such that I can examine the crystal in depth, then I may be able to ascertain its nature.

At that time, thus it was that our research team did not obtain any firm conclusions, but several hypotheses were put forth, including a planar junction, or planar rift intrusion with energetic radiation from the crystal, and potential influence of extra-planar entities. Planar mechanics is also an area of specialty of mine, as it is related to crystallography.

Serto Ih’ara informs me that you can be found in the company of Miss Galia at Feldton, or at your lake camp, thus I will shortly search you out.

Magess Ranara Duauth

After I received this letter, I went to the Asylum to interview Clarrisse. I had some trouble with the receptionist (in that he told me that I could only interview her through the bars of her cell.) That was not acceptable, so I had to show him my diplomatic papers. He told me that if I happened upon a guard to accept the responsibility for potential escape, I could enter her cell for an interview. I then went to a woman named Amber.

I had previously interviewed Amber and had found that they were once friends, but Clarrisse partially blames her for her current predicament along with the house Mistari. I took all the information that Amber had imparted to me about her friend Clarrisse and ‘recruited Amber to let me into Clarrisse’s cell for proper interview.

When we got there Clarrisse was initially very hostile to Amber, myself and an old friend Jack Gaunt who I worked with in Thain. I managed somehow to calm her enough to enter the cell. As I walked in I walked to the back of the cell. Clarrisse knew I was the one that wanted to speak to her. She turned her attention from the front to me thus eliminating her focus on Amber due to the fact that I forced her to turn away from the other side of the cell. I was then able to speak to her without further outside influence so that her mind was focused on me and my words. A simple tactic that works on most people that are not completely psychotic.

I spoke about the crystal of the lake and her research with Lady Ranara. She told me first that she thought the crystal emits enough light to keep Komodo at bay. This supports our findings on the dissection. Then she told me that she thought the crystal was a small part of a network of crystals that the architect uses to hold the island together, and that another of the functions specifically of this crystal at lake Ruby is to keep the serpent within the boundaries of the lake so that he cannot come on land.

If this is true, the crystal is not 100% effective. Twice now Komodo has come up on land. The first time he hurt Valeria severely and killed two monks. It took me a lot of effort to whisper to him back into the water. The second time he was angry with me alone and came out of the water to attack me. Again, I tried to whisper to him but to no avail this time. He tore up my camp while I tried to calm him. In desperation I ran into the lake and swam to the opposite shore as fast as I could. He followed and was back to being contained in the lake once again before killing anyone. It seems if I step away from him to do other things for a short period and return, he becomes greatly angered by this as if slighted. I will adjust my routines with this information and spend all my time in one session with him instead of breaking it up.

There are a few other things I have been asked to do or have become potential problems while I have been out in public doing my duties as ambassador.

The first is that Haak (a gnoll who supports a local gnoll tribe that is peaceful) has asked me to negotiate a treaty between the tribe and the various towns surrounding it. this I will attempt after I have set up the research project on the crystal of Lake Ruby.

The second is a potential problem. There is an elf that has run away from a monastery. He has much monk training but not much discipline. I questioned Galia on this because despite his obvious independent nature he retains his discipline to work with ki and monkish abilities. She told me he may be a savant or some other form of exception to the rules. This elven man by the name of Tomuruil lives on emotion, is extremely paranoid and often steps over civil boundaries of good manners. I have tried to work with him to no avail.

In the last incident he got into a word battle with a mind watcher of the asylum. I stood up and defended his actions as (basically being young and stupid) to the authority against my better judgement. She backed down somewhat. However, knowing governmental institutions, I know that a report will be made of the incident and the organization of the Mind Watchers will be focused on him. They may or may not make an issue of his rudeness to their sentry/spy at the crossroads. He will most likely be watched for more disapproving conduct.

That is all I have to write today. I am tired and have 4 more days of training ahead.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa walks down from the ash fields of the volcano to the monastery picking up her mail. Afterward she trudges back up the mountain reading her few letters. She is somewhat happy that there are but few of them although she has not heard word from her direct supervisor on the last letter, she sent him. Kozakura is half a world away from Adalee, so it is much to be expected: still! She needs a way to communicate quickly with the minister. She has several challenges momentarily and would seek his wisdom if she could.

She works out most of the day including a run up and down the volcano running over the lava lakes as she goes still amazed that she no longer burns or sinks in the lava. Sometime ago her body went through a change unbeknownst to her conscious mind. It is become much hotter, and she seems to not feel the effects anymore to normal fire (even intense fire) She thinks it is somehow a blessing from Kossuth, a gift from her days in Thain working as a member of the Called. At one time she worked directly with the elemental lords to save the shines of the elementals from a para-elemental invasion. When finished and exhausted she makes her way back to camp and opens her journal.

Things have gone a bit sideways for my intended purpose. Magess Ranara met me at camp on the first day of coming back from training. We discussed the crystal and the Serpent of the lake. Her part in this is to study the crystal until we know how in all ways it affects the serpent, Komodo. As we were discussing and planning our approach to the research and Ranara’s safety during the testing. We decided to test to see if I could keep control of Komodo while she was in the lake and if he could detect her while I was with him. I knew he would attack me as soon as he detected anyone going into the water. Sure enough, as she entered the water, he seemed to pick up on her vibrations even though she was cloaked in invisibility. He attacked me and sorely wounded me. I was just able to swim to shore.

As I came back to camp, we again started discussing our approach to studying the crystal with our new information when Galia showed up. Galia and Ranara wanted to study the crystal obelisk at this time. I was ill prepared for this but knowing Ranara has a very tight schedule like me, I acquiesced. I calmed Komodo down but as soon as Galia came into his view, he became his usual self and attacked me. This time I was in my heavy calvary mail knowing it would happen. Galia and I subdued him then she sat on him while I lady Ranara and comrade in the research project who came up upon us guarded her less Komodo get away from Galia. I guarded the northern end of the lake, and he guarded the south-east.

Ranara changed herself into some form of liquid to study the crystal. She then surrounded it and from what I seemed to recall somehow merged slightly with it. (Ranara herself is a bit different even for a wu-jen. There is a discomforting cold presence about her. It feels much like enchanted obsidian. She also keeps her distance from any fire and me. I am guessing because she can feel Kossuth’s blessing and is uncomfortable near it. She stayed just close enough to me to be within polite range as she worked with me.)

After she surrounded and merged with the crystal the water started producing ripples and there were different tones coming from around it. It seems Ranara was making the crystal vibrate at different frequencies to do her studies. This took several hours and when she was finished, she changed back to a person and said she would write a report on it. I received the report a few days later. I will copy it here.

Lady Barasume, Miss Galia, Magus Victor, and Master Serto,

I have completed my analysis of the data I gathered at the crystal in Ruby Lake. The structure is similar to the giant crystal in the Crystalline Nexus. There was nothing more remarkable from the data.

However, I have today heard of happenings with crystals all over the island. There may be a reaction occurring resultant from our test. Be prepared for potentially dangerous conditions like unto tectonic stresses.

Magess Ranara Duauth
Arcane Councilor, Chair of Conjuration

When I came back from several days of training, I found my camp full. Galia, another dragon, this one blue by the name of Beliah, who she calls Sire Sister, and Tomuruil were all there. We discussed what to do about the problems with the crystals all over the island that were disrupted by our research. That’s when a new person showed up. A gentleman from Fandonia by the name of Tali’xithos. I later found out he is the arch-mage (The high wu-jen for that city)

I checked on Komodo and at the time he was still in the lake and easily calmed this day. I told everyone to stay at camp while I checked on him. I got control of him quickly enough and he seemed a bit sedate. Coming back, I listened to Tali’xthos question Galia and Beliah about the experiment and crystal. Meanwhile I pulled Tomuruil to discuss with him proper etiquette in the presence of the mind watchers. When we came back Hela had shown up and Tali’xithos had left. Our conversation reverted to the crystal and the problems we face fixing what was done. Then the sounds of battle fell on our ears to the east.

What we found there disturbed me greatly. My neighbor the ranger Valeria was on the ground sorely wounded. There were two dark druids from the old grove there dead along with one mind water. Another mind watcher (a man) was standing over Valeria with his bloody dagger waving over her.

By this time, I had by Tedate and my katana out. He challenged us. I told him I was the Kozakurian ambassador and asked why he was way out of his jurisdiction. He was extremely aggressive but seeing that Valeria was bleeding out I put my arms away, went over to her, helped her up and started to bandage her. I am not a great field medic but have enough basics to stop most bleeding wounds and such.

This is my fault because I was paying attention to Valeria and not him. As I was tending to her. He stuck his dagger through my armor plating cutting me. The blade was poisoned, and the poison felt very much like Fugu poison. It instantly paralyzed me. My friends went into action while he attacked me, but he didn’t realize one that I’m a very strong woman and two that I have eaten Fugu on occasion and knew I could throw off the effects after a few minutes.

As soon as I could move my limbs I drew out and struck him with an iaito move wounding him badly. Tomuruil finished him off. I was so angry at myself and the situation that I cut off the heads of all the dead bodies. I was going to take them to the mind watchers for an explanation. The others convinced me that this was a very bad thing to do and that they would most likely try to lock me up. For only the second time in my life I willingly broke bushido code and decided not to do the right thing.

I took the heads down to Komodo to deal with them. I found a problem. Komodo was gone from the lake. I threw the heads into it and went back to the group letting them know. A decision was made. I stripped all the corpses and bundled all their belongings. I went to the middle of the lava lake and dropped the bundles in. Everything including jewelry burned up or melted.

When I came back, I found that Tomuruil and Hela had taken care of the bodies. I did not ask how. In the end it seems this research project has now attracted the attention of several groups. The mages of Fandonia, The dark druids of the old grove, and the mind watchers. We need to solve this crystal dilemma quickly and find Komodo. Unfortunately, I only have one more day maybe a day and a half in the next 2 tendays to be in public. It is coming up on 5 years of banishment, losing my husband and my last battle in the clan wars. I have many rituals, reflections, and training to do during this time. I pray the team I have collected can handle this and co-ordinate together until I may return.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After a long 15 days Miwa returns to her camp. She has worked hard at her training and meditation. She has observed all the rituals she had to preform and is ready to move on to the next year. She opens her journal and writes by the fire as the evening sun begins to set.

It has been 5 years now since my banishment. So many things have happened. My horse was stolen. I have travelled with a good drow, met a bronze dragon and that is just the start of my journey in the west. I have been nearly burnt at the stake by adventurers that hated me. I have made friends and enemies. I have helped many and many have helped me. Most of all: I have changed. I think for the better. I have gone from outcast to raising my station to an appointment of the imperial court.

I have three more years before I may return home. I look out at these lands of Adalee and wonder, what grand adventures await me? I wonder, when this main city will open up from its ravages with some unknown plague. The possibilities are endless; now that I have completed my quest.

Three more years as ambassador. We will see what time brings.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa sits on a boulder looking out at the grassy shelf on the south side of the volcano. A place she found in times she had to practice her routines and contemplate upcoming events. For most of her activities she must wait on others but there was one she focused on when she returned for a time last 10 day. That of the request by the gnoll Haak that she represent the Mythcaller tribe to make a treaty so there was an understanding between the humans and themselves. Something solid where the gnoll tribe could start to go to the human cities near them to trade without being shot at or chased away.

She holds two letters in her hands and looks at each perplexed. “I do not understand the chief’s aggressive attitude. He points out about titles and currying favor. I only used my title of ambassador because it is required, and I did not try to curry favor. This is strange. Is he trying to disrupt me? Is this a cultural misunderstanding? Miwa sighs. “One letter and I’m already getting grief from the very people I was asked to represent.”

She looks at the letters again first hers.

Greetings and well met,
Chief of the Mythcaller Tribe,

My name is Ambassador Mayonaka Sakuya of Kozakura. I have been asked to represent your tribe to mediate treaties between your tribe and the local human villages and towns. As I understand it the surrounding human towns are still hostile to the tribe when a member wanders into the city’s territory.

I wish to meet with you and your council (if you have one to discuss your position on this.) I wish to know your exact position (what you want) and what concessions you and your tribe are willing to make to get what you want. For now, I assume unfettered access to the cities of New Bay and others that border your territory. Let us meet, measure each other and discuss these things.

Thank you and best Regards.
Ambassador Mayonaka Sakuya

Miwa reads it and comments. It’s short to the point and contains no platitudes.

She then reads the Gnoll Chieftains response.

Your titles mean nothing to me. The Humans are hostile as is their want to believe we are monsters and due to actions on both sides over our time on the island. If you want to talk, Come and talk. There is no need for letters. I am no Human king. I do not care for currying favour. Come and talk Or dont.

-Zavlah

Miwa exclaims, “Why bite at one that would aid you in your endeavors to integrate in the greater society of the island.”

She looks at both letters still perplexed. “What have I gotten myself into? This makes me more willing to abandon this representation but I said to Haak I would give this my best shot so I will. Still if the chief continues to be a complete dick, I may have to tell Haak I will not represent them. Unless I am missing something. What am I missing?”

Once again she reads the notes, she made at the library of the Thorned Rose about gnolls. She reads:

Gnolls are infamous among races such as humans and elves for their brutality and demonic heritage. For the most part, they aren't wrong. Many gnoll packs are indeed aggressive and have a demonic side to their affairs. Typically, they worship the demon lord Yeenoghu. They also tend to be rather aggressive and are still mistrusted and avoided. To them, the pack is more important than anything else.

She then scans down further: Gnolls are widely known as raiders and slavers. In the middle of the night, they attack a village or town, killing and eating guards and taking slaves. These slaves are then brutalized physically and mentally. This has become an art among many gnoll tribes. In fact, many gnoll tribes have “tantekurash” or “spirit breakers” who are experts at breaking the wills of slaves. If the slave resists, it is eaten.

Miwa frowns as she continues picking out important parts of the reading: However, not all gnoll tribes are evil. There are a scattered few nomadic tribes who specialize as hunters and trappers. They may even come to peacefully interact with other races and often offer their service as hunters or trappers. Even so, they remain fairly aggressive and quick to anger, so other races have to be careful not to offend them.

Miwa nods and speaks without thinking, “So there may be something to that with the Mythcallers.”

She continues: Furthermore, a gnoll's mind is undeniably primal. They are natural predators and love the thrill and challenge of the hunt. This has resulted in a few traits in most gnolls. For the most part, gnolls prefer the wild to any sort of urban area, though there are exceptions who see a city as a unique form of wilderness. Moreover, gnolls typically avoid diplomacy in favor of intimidating an answer out of others. It is simpler that way.

She nods, “And here it is. He is most likely trying to intimidate me into a lower position before we even get started with this. The question is, how do I react? I do not in letter. I go there. with full weapons and no makeup. He will see the brutality I have survived from a decade of fighting on my face. If he is wise, he will know he is facing no ordinary human diplomat. I should not have to say anything just meet him without armor and full weapons displayed. I’ll wear my 7 layered court outfit that protects me unassumingly from physical attack.

Now how to speak to him. I will have to meditate on this in my ten-day training period.”

Miwa puts her journal and research papers away as the sun goes down. She then quietly goes into her tent and sleeps dreaming of distant lands with a name upon her lips, Chief Zavlah.
CTP team member