Brath Vail
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Brath Vail

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Brath finishes his last class of his senior year with a sigh of relief. It had been a hard four years at Shaia's academy for the gifted: Especially for himself. Both his parents Fawn and Randyl Vail were long time teachers at the academy. Now all he needs to do it get ready for the ceremony for a week and see if he was to become an apprentice to one of the teachers. That was highly unlikely. The first reason is he had decided to pursue both sorcery which was in his nature through his mother (even though as far as he knew she had never used sorcery) and wizardry.

He never really found a specialty to pursue but was highly talented. Still Brath never liked to study much. Magic was always around him growing up. He had spent a very long time around it. Much more than the other students being that his mother owned an island on the astral plane that they summered over. His life so far is a carefree affair other than studying his lessons these last 4 years. He contently closes his book and makes his way out of the classroom whistling a happy tune.

Walking through the hallways to leave and have some time fishing he sees a friend of his waving to get his attention. Its Grigor Handleson: A third year student that is specializing in divination and would like to apprentice with Archimage Shaia Fereldin the owner and head mistress of the school. He sees Grigor has a whole pile of books in his hands as they meet.

"Hey, Grigor what's up. Want to toss in a line with me over by the docks? And what's with all the books? It's the last day of school you know."

"Heh, want to study over the summer. It's tough to get an apprenticeship here as you know. By the way, might want to hold off on fishing today. Your parents want to talk to you."

"Oh, where are they? Dad's office?"

"No they are in your mother's office."

"Shit! What did I do wrong?"

"I don't know, Brath but if she turns you into a zombie or possesses your mind and makes you jump out a window can I watch?"

"Bahamut's breath, Grigor sometimes your too much," Brath replies with a chuckle.

"Just giving you the message. Hey, I'll come by graduation and see you get your diploma next week. Besides what are friends for. Maybe have a party afterward. Maybe you have some spells I can swindle off you."

"Sounds great but the rules apply to me as much as everyone else. No one gets a book until they graduate and all spells are read from scrolls at school though they really cant stop me from practicing sorcery. I know a few cantrips and a couple of spells."

"Ah so that's why you applied yourself to it. You cheat!"

Brath gives him a smile and a wink. he puts up his finger and thumb like a measurement. "Maybe just a wee bit."

"Alright I have to go put all these things away. See you soon Zombie or not."

"Argh!"

The pair separate. Brath changes his direction and makes for the steps. On the third floor he goes down to the end of the east wing to the office on the right and knocks on the door. He hears his father's voice reply. "Come on in Brath." He thinks to himself, 'Damn it! How do they always know?"

He opens the door and walks into the office. Looking around he sees his father sitting at her desk and his mother sitting on top of it with her arms around her knees staring at him in what appears to be a meditative state. He raises his eyebrows thinking, "Ok this is serious! Shit what did I do?"

His father or should he say stepfather is in his academy robes. Randyl is a tall man and a warrior/mage. heavy on the mage and light on the warrior. Still, he can pick up just about any weapon and use it to deadly effect. Randyl is human from a small noble family of Mirabar. He and his sister rescinded their nobility and moved to Anchorome decades ago. He is a tall human man of 6ft 3inches with blonde hair and deep blue eyes. He also has a set of blue dragon wings coming out of his back. A gift from a god for a grand quest he was once on long ago.

His mother is in her official Mulhorandi archmagi robes. The skimpy outfit doesn't leave much to the imagination. It embarrasses Brath at times when she chooses to where it. Yet he knows she is a high priestess of the house of life (the mage guild of Mulhorandi) and a force to be reckoned with even more so than his father.
She is a short plump half-elven with red hair and green eyes that are off-putting because her skin is Mulhorandi olive giving her a disruptive and offsetting appearance. Such an odd combination. She also sports a white stripe in her hair at the very tip of her crown about an inch wide going all the way in back of her head.

She continues just to stare at him as if dissecting his thoughts. Right now, he almost wishes to have a helm of some kind to protect himself from enchantments because the force of her stare presses against his will. The feeling is slight, but it is there. Is it just his imagination or is she really trying to read his thoughts. He never really knows.

He sits down in one of the two student's chairs in front of the desk.

His father takes a sip of wine and starts off. "Hey bud, don't worry too much. We just want to talk to you about something."

"Is this a Strega something. I mean come on dad. I've done my studies. Haven't caused any trouble with my sorcery like my sister did. I'm not being thrown out of the family, or anything am I?"

"It's his mother that answers. "Yes and no."

Brath looks to his dad for an answer because he really doesn't want his mother to explain.

"Fawn and I have to go on a trip. We also need to send you away. It's not like Strega, Brath. She couldn't control her sorcery and fell in with your grandfather. We had to banish her for you and your brother's safety. We are sending you away for a different reason. Your mother will explain further. But I would like to say that you need to get out in the world. You need to see other cultures find your way in this world so to speak."

"Ah come on dad. Anchorome is a fine place and there are many cultures that come here and immigrate. I call Ogre shit on that."

Fawn narrows her eyes and looks into his, "Language, Brath!"

Randyl sighs and looks to her a moment then back to him. "Like I said. This isnt a punishment. Think of it as a field study for a few years while your mother and I take this trip. It's going to take a few years maybe a decade. So, we want you to do some traveling and learn about the world a little.

"Were giving you 10,000 in gold."

Fawn cuts in, "I took a staff out of our inventory to also give it to you. It was the first staff of your grandmother, The Aiauta."

Randyl continues. You can start anywhere you like on Toril. I would be hesitant to go to Thay or any country of that ilk. We also forbid you to go to Mulhorand. That is because your mother is too well known, and we don't want you to be lazy and take advantage of your mother's fame there."

Brath thinks for a moment and asks, "Can I at least have a finders stone to get to the summer home?"

Fawn answers him, "When you can make your own finder's stone you can certainly go home for visit. Brath this isn't supposed to be easy. We want you to be on your own for a while. So, no finder's stone, and we'll be taking the damselfly on the trip so no way to get there."

Randyl now speaks, "So where would you like to go, son to start your journey?"

Brath looks at his father then gets up and goes to the giant map of Toril. "Well since I have no choice in the matter let us see. I can't stay in Lapis or go to Mulhorandi or the city in the Sands of Izcala. Some place I can get a fair start doing something I like to do."

Brath searches the map intently finding a large Island out of the way in the western hemisphere. "What is this island?"

Randyl walks over shrugs and looks to Fawn. She glances to where Brath is pointing. Her eyes start to shift right to left and back again. She stops several times and picks the strange behavior up again. Both the men in the room are used to it and know she is reading from the library in her mind. Fawn as an unusual ability to remember everything she reads word for word and retain everything she reads for several decades. Thus, unlike other offices of professors her office has no books lining the walls just a desk, a rack full of scrolls and a few spell books and a large fist size diamond mounted on a stand upon her desk. It is the diamond she uses with one of her go to spells: Magic Jar a powerful spell of possessing another's body.

After a time, she speaks. "It's called the Island of Thain. There is not much written about it other than there are several cities and factions on the island vying for power. Commoners are treated fairly as far as we know, and many adventurers wander there as they did when Lapis Port was young. It is not as harrowing as Thay, and people tend to be of all humors there. So, you will find all types."

Brath looks back at the map. "It's an island with many rivers. What if I went there and found all the fishing holes then write a book about it and my experiences."

His father smiles, "Gods! when was the last time we went fishing together?"

Brath responds, "Well dad, I know everyone's been busy it was just before I signed up for the academy."

"Yea that was it. We had fun catching halibut along the shoreline. Damn! I think that's a great idea. When I and your mother get back from our trip perhaps, we can read the book and go back to the best spots."

Brath chuckles, "Sounds like a plan to me."

"Right you are. Alright then. We'll drop you off at the island of Thain and go do what we need to do. Your mother wants to speak to you alone. So, I will take my leave. Good luck son."

"Thank you, father." Randyl leaves the room while Fawn carefully comes down off the desk and sits back in her chair. Brath is pensive because he knows who truly rules the household. It is not his father. He sits back down and waits for her to start.

Fawn looks at her son. She studies him intently before speaking. Brath's nervousness heightens even more. When she is ready, she speaks. "Most of what your father said is true. Also, most of what your father said is a cover story for the real truth.

You are an adult now Brath. This puts you in danger. In 25 maybe 50 years you will feel our people's curse. It may even come tomorrow. We don't know because my mother never told me the real truth. When I had my first valin I killed the one who sired you."

Fawn suddenly looks depressed and doubtful. Brath immediately comforts her. "Mother I know about the curse of our people. It wasn't your fault, and it wasn't your fault when you had a second valin with Dad. I know it took time, but you came back together. Only an exceptional love for each other can do that."

Fawn puts up a rare smile. "Then I am proud of you, Brath. Just as I am not typical in that I do eat meat you are not typical in that you get along with others. Both I an your dad cultivated that because of your importance to the greater good."

"I don't understand?"

"I know. Randyl and I have kept that from you so you would not be burdened by things you are not ready for yet. This trip that we are going on. It has reason. I am to collect all of our people along with all of the Mischta that we may find. and bring them here to Anchorome. We are not sure of the reason, but you must know that our people face extinction. If your father and I fail. It will be up to you to do what we cannot."

"Ok that's really heavy. Why me?"

"Because no matter the circumstance it will be your fate. You know me. I believe in free will but the gods themselves look down on us, our family expectantly to do what we must do. We are the direct descendants of Igraine. The gods wish more from us than of others. Your grandmother was the Aiauta, the transmuter. I am the Sierra the enchantress, and you are Brath the farmer. You will not cultivate crops. Your purpose is to cultivate people. So, we are sending you out into the world to learn just that. If we fail, you must take our torch and continue bring our people to Anchorome and to the shimmer. from there the shimmer will tell you the direction you must go.

If the valin comes before we come back, I have some advice. Do not try to ignore it. You'll most likely die and you will condemn she who comes for you to death."

Brath cuts in, "You killed my father during the throws of the valin."

"And that is another reason we are sending you out into the world. Brath you must hone your magic. You must be ready for your valin. I had just become an archmage when my valin hit me. Your real father had no chance against me and my need. You must become as strong in will as you can to withstand her fury. You will never understand until you have been through it. The valin makes you like our most ancient ancestors and their primal urges. You need to survive the curse so that you can take over when I am gone. I've already lost Strega. I do not want to lose you."

"Is my half-sister dead, Mom?"

"No but she has been corrupted by Randyl's grandfather. She is a priestess and sorceress dedicated to a Mulhorandi God called Anubis. She only revers death now. She is lost to us."

"I must take your word for it because since I can remember you have never lied to me."

"My son, I have lied to you since the day you were born. Lying is an artform: a necessary one that encompasses every individual of every race. You will learn that as you see the world for what it is. that is if you perceive it. The only other advice I have is never, ever, show your true self to the world. It will put you in danger you cannot even comprehend. Those that hunt us use our skin to make shape changing items, our brains to heighten their magic, our parts and blood to add longevity to their mortal existence. If you ever revel your true nature to a stranger or even a friend, it will put you in an untenable position."

"So, now that I know all that I know now, what do you want me to do?"

"Go to your island. Write your book. Your father would be very proud of you if you accomplished that. Wait for your valin and do your duty for the longevity of our people."

"Then I vow that I will do that and do my duty to continue our race. I'm scared of it. You probably know that being you filled my head with all that happens during the curse. I'll do my best to strengthen myself against the one connected to me at birth. I also hope you succeed in your quest to bring our people to a new future only because it's too much for me to swallow if I have to do it."

Fawn nods, "I am typical to my aversion to others around me, even your father stresses my limits at times. You do not have that. I hope you hone your peoples' skills while you are sent abroad."

"I will always endeavor to make you and father proud."

"Thats my boy. Now go and do what you need to do."

Brath stands and makes his way to the door. The heaviness of all he has heard weighs down on him. He goes to a tavern in the Lapis Port docks to drink his sorrows away. He has a week before he gets his diploma and his first spell book. Then he travels into an unknown world.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Re: Brath Vail

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Brath's Guide to Fishing the Island of Thain
Or fishing with the Heros and Heroines of Thain

By Brath Vail

Introduction

To say I was miffed that my parents wanted me to go out and explore my future out of the safe confines of our home and Shaia's school is an understatement. I'm not one to go out in the world to adventure. Afterall, I don't even eat meat, nor have I ever killed anything in my life (until I came to the Island of Thain.) I do understand their worries after all my parents are two of the Archmage Anchorome. Still, I must protest somewhat in them dumping me into such an alien and unknown environment. I have to stay here a few decades maybe more; Hells I may even stay here forever since I found the surroundings pleasant enough and have found a few acquaintances in my short journey so far.

The thing is I'm not really banished from the family like my sister Strega: fortunately. I think my parents want me to figure out what I really want to do with my life. Glady, I have already found what I want to do and that is Fishing. They even let me pick where I wanted to go on the map and this island promises to be a wonderland of fishing holes and surf. I saw just how many rivers, lakes, inlets and shoreline it has and figured if I needed to do something that my parents would consider 'worthy'. I'll come to this island, fish every good spot and write a book about it. So, this is it: Brath's Guide to Fishing the Island of Thain. Has a nice ring to it. If I can write a few copies get it out to the mainland mayhap I could set up a tour guide of all the great spots.

I'll also speak a bit on the interesting people I meet. This island is also teeming with both adventurers and danger. So, some of the stories these crazy adventurers are just bound to be worth a few good chapters. I've already in my short time here had some very strange, disturbing and very pleasurable encounters with the natives of the land.

I have seen Elves, humans, somewhat tame wolves as big as a pony even a man cast in shadow that claimed to either have performed a ritual to bottle his soul on the plane of shadow or wants to do it. He was an adventurer. We know they are all crazy. Just look at my parents. That is if you ever met them. I'll definitely send a copy of this book to Oghma's Temple library in Lapis Port. If enough people come, I could make a pretty coin as a guide. Now that I have a good and proper introduction, I will take you to chapter 1 Webster's Landing where many adventurers disembark to find; Well whatever adventurers look for which include as far as I know Death, Dismemberment, Torture, Mental Disability, and the loss of any functionality in human society after they retire: If they retire. There is after all the reason for the saying most adventurers are cut up into itsy-bitsy pieces and buried alive before they are old enough to see reason.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Chapter I

Websters Landing

For most, Webster's Landing is the place they disembark from ship to visit or immigrate to the island. It's a small fishing village of good-hearted people. It has a tackle shop run by a local monk. One of the retired adventurers I would suppose. The weather is fairly pleasant most time with light rain and few storms. Most people will make a tip of the hat when they walk past you when fishing. The guards are very good at perceiving dangers and coming to help if you need it. I'll get to that in a bit.

Let's start with the basics for this is the first place I have fished on the island. To start with; to fish a large island you need a lot of fishing poles and tackle. You need to be ready for every circumstance unless of course you have read this book and pick and choose your spots according to my reviews on each fishing hole.

Once you are prepared to tackle (did you get that, Ha!) the island hotspots you must remember your clothing. It's insanely important. I wear all grey whether in the water or out with waterproof boots and everything is grey and white. Why do you say? Well so when the fish look up you are either invisible or partially invisible. Certain blues mixed with white or even a darker grey is fine, but they only lend limited protection from being detected. A blue grey with white accents is favorable to all weather fishing.

The harbor has a U-shaped inlet in the center of town that a small stream feeds. It's quite large and there is a stone carriage bridge built across the inlet from the northern part to southern with a cross bridge connecting from the shore at the west. If you go to the south end of the bridge, you will not only find the bait shop run by our humble monk but on the west of the bridge end you will find the best fishing spot in Webster's Landing.

Remember that this is an ocean inlet so move back and forth with the tides coming in and out. Here at the corner of the bridge I would suggest using a heavy rod and real. Cast your line and drag along the bottom. You will find the Cod plentiful along with bluefish. Remember Bluefish have rather large sharp teeth so wear heavy gloves and a strong arm to remove your hooks. Also, on the rare occasion You may just catch a blue or yellow fin tuna.

Do not take your catch to the bait shop. Our friendly neighborhood monk knows his fish and is cagey appraiser. He will not give you top dollar for your catch. Instead, go to the bait and tackle to the west of Webster's landing. You'll get a much more Hansome reward for your efforts.

Now that we're having a jolly good time at the Webster's Landing fishing hole, I will tell you about the dangers you face here and about the local fauna. First this being a fishing village folk will tip their hats when they walk past but most will not disturb you. The adventurers and tourists usually immediately high tail it to more adventurous places on the island so it just you and the locals. Being they are all fisherman and farmers they tend to keep to themselves. It's comfortably boring in Webster's landing and You can read or think while you fish.

There are a few dangers lurking in the murky waters here at the fishing hole. The first and foremost is: You may snag something truly monstrous that will pull you into the tide. Be ready for a swim at any time. The tide then will usually take you to a ship graveyard. sometimes you even find a small chest of treasure. I have found a few with 100 to 200 coins in them.

The second danger is the riptide. On a few occasions riptides have dragged me out into the larger tide. Keep calm. Stay afloat and wait for it to deposit you back in the ship graveyard. Be well aware. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try to board one of the ships. There are things among those rotten timbers that will swallow you whole or try to use you as a sacrifice for some ritual. That almost ruined my day, and it will certainly ruin yours.

And I must tell you fellow Anglers. It is true. Everyone has heard of the mythical Boot Mimic. A fantasy you say! Something to frighten others from the best fishing spots you say! I used to laugh at the mere mention of the angler's bogyman: The dreaded boot mimic. No more my friends.

I was fishing the Webster's hole when I snagged on what I thought was just another missing soak. I grabbed it up and was working it off my hook when all of the sudden It opened at the heel. The gaping maw had several rows of big teeth. It slithered up my forearm and bit down. MUNCH! MUNCH! MUNCH! GNAW! GNAW! GNAW!

I ran around in circles for a few seconds not knowing what to do in total disbelief! Then I saw a guard draw his sword and run toward me. OH NO! He's going to chop my arm off while trying to kill this thing! I had to quickly think and despite being in thunderous pain from this mimic chewing my arm off I managed to hit it with a negative energy ray. Surprised It fell to the ground just as the guard came and he chopped it up into pieces.

I had to go to the local healer for a potion to fix my arm. So, now we know my good companions There is such a thing as a Boot Mimic.

I have caught a few other things at the Webster's landing fishing hole. Most of these are small I snagged and oyster with a pearl in its belly a few times along with a few necklaces, rings and amulets. most don't fetch much 9 or 10 gold, but a few have brought in 35 or 50 in gold.

Now I usually buy about 18 pieces of bait to fish with giving me a grand morning or afternoon to lazily work my jigs or flies in the shallows or just off the shore. That usually nets me a nice profit of anywhere between 200 to 500 in coin. You can make some good coin fishing here on the Island of Thain with some patience and finding the right place to lay down a line.

Next, we will go to the Crossroads trout stream. Such wonderful fishing and you get to speak and talk to the local wildlife there. wildlife meaning those crazy adventurers.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Chapter II

The Crossroads

Ah! My fellow Angling Ladies and Gentlemen. We have the Crossroads just west of Webster's landing. If you take an afternoon walk in that direction you will come upon an Inn at a major crossroads. To the north you will find dragon men, an elven forest and a murderous region of frost giants. To the west is a very large city with a shifty shop keeper by the name of.......You guessed it! Trusty! To the South? You don't want to go south unless you have a good adventurer to guide you. Kobolds roam the hills in murder squads just waiting for the unwary.

The Inn is a lovely place called the Bait and Tackle. It doesn't have any bait or tackle but that's what it's called for some unfathomable reason. Lots and lots of guards from the city like to hang out at the inn so you are relatively safe there. And there is a stream that flows down to Webster's landing just north of it.

But the best part of the crossroad isn't the Inn. It's not even the stream (though it is so much fun). It is my friends the camp near the inn set up for adventurers. I will tell you about all the wonderful insane masochistic adventurers and their tales after we get to the bread and butter of our hobby and or business. The fishing.

There is a small foot bridge a few steps from the crossroads to the north. If you turn in that direction the best fishing spot is just to the right of the bridge where the steam makes a small hook to the north, then back to the east again toward the village of Webster's Landing.

The best way to fish this stream is to go into the stream itself and use wet flies casting to the nose of the hook where the big ones leisurely lay in wait for their prey. Remember to look at the local hatches. You may have to come up with and make several different flies until you get a bite.

You would also use dry flies, however there is a good reason not to do this. You see this stream has crayfish as big as your fist. They occasionally munch down on a wet fly and you can use them for some premium bait afterward being that many of the larger trout and suckerfish eat them on a regular basis. They must be really good food because I have pulled trout out of this stream as large as 32 inches. Did I say 32 inches.... YES! I DID!

I have pulled plenty of Trout, and Suckerfish from this stream. For some reason the locals seem to like the suckerfish more than the trout. It may be that a sucker is used for some form of local remedy, but it is hard to understand from a fisherman's point of view. Here two you will find a few fish that have seemed to have consumed a potion or two. They have magical effects when you eat them so the locals say and will fetch you a true premium at the local inn. I wouldn't actually know because I'm a vegetarian.

I have also found or snagged on old cloaks, amulets, rings and again an occasional merman item. The last was a ring which was a fairly powerful magical item, so I kept it.

there are many, many snags here. There are times when you may be frustrated about them. If so, take a step back. Have a sandwich. Relax at the adventurer's camp perhaps one of the local maniacs will be there and tell you a tall tale of their ventures in the wild interior. Then come back and cast trying to entice the fish before your fly drops to the bottom possibly snagging again.

Keep your one eye to the north and occasionally scan the distance. Goblins live in a cave nearby and may just attack you. If they do Run across the road and call the guard. They seem to deal with them quickly and efficiently. I've only had to do this a couple times in a few dozen outings at the hole, but it does happen. Stay calm, drop your rod and run to the guard. Safety first my friends. I would not like any mishaps from not being alert in this spot.

Next, I will tell you about a giant wolf I have befriended, A wizardress that comes around often, and my very first real adventure with a man named Sephir. We chased an evil drow by the name of IZZY! Yes! A real life Drow. She was on the surface even! She really didn't seem that bad but Sephir assured me that she was a true menace and should not be trusted. Those sneaky Drow!
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

As I said there are so many interesting people that come to the crossroads. I would love to tell you about all of them but have been trying to figure out where to start. So, let's start with another of the craft that I met there at the adventurer's camp. His name is Zack, a mighty halfling sorcerer that works on the side of good for all the people in the realm. He has to be good because he just loves my cucumber and blackberry jam sandwiches.

As I said I met him at the camp, and he gave me a story. A story of one of his great Victorys? No! He gave me a story of one of his greatest losses. No matter how good sometimes you lose and must retreat screaming for the hills. So, this is the story of the sorcerer Zack and his evil Nemesis: The Sorcerer Baskel.

Baskel and his evil band of knuckle dragging ruffians had been causing trouble for some time around the realms. They would Rob, murder, smuggle, sell mushrooms to kids dressed as Sunite monks. They would even park their horses in the front door of the local shops so people going past would have to step into........well you know. Very bad and nasty people. They called themselves TEAM EVIL!

Our intrepid Hero Zack put his own team together to stop the mad shenanigans of TEAM EVIL. He called his team: TEAM GOOD. For some reason Zack got separated from his team but found a wandering priestess. She had the gravest of information for him. Something big was going down with the sorcerer and his crew of madmen. TEAM EVIL was on the move with some nefarious purpose. Her name was Dele. She was an amazingly beautiful cleric with a heart of gold. She told Our Hero Zack that the mad sorcerer Baskel was wandering alone to the mountains of Hammersong.

Zack knew this was his chance to face the villain in a great dual one on one. Baskel was a strong fellow, but Zack was sure his blood could overpower Baskel's brains. Zack set a cunning trap for him.

Zack had found a rare and wonderous item from months before. He called it Hot pursuit. You cast it on a person, ZAP! Later you can use the item again and you will be taken to them anywhere on the island. He had already used the item on Baskel in secret while observing the Thug and his gangly crew of neanderthals. Being he knew Baskel was alone not he just had to jump at the chance. He held the item high in the air and ZAP! He is standing right in front of his Nemesis.

They eyed each other in a cave along the southern mountains. It started with a grand stare down between the two. Baskel breaks first. He twirls his great handlebar mustache with his finger and laughs. It turned out that our poor hero Zack had teleported himself to TEAM EVIL'S secret drinking hole. OH NO!

Before Zack can react, a ruffian comes from the side and beats him in the ribs with a club. Then another comes from the other side. The two stand over our diminutive hero, beating and beating him. Baskel laughs manically, "I won't even have to throw one spell. I'll just sit and watch the fun. MAHAHAHAHA!"

Zack didn't go down easy. He kicked and bit the thugs in the ankles but in the end it was too much. He rolled on his stomach and began to crawl. All of the sudden he saw a beautiful vision of the priestess Dele. He crawled and crawled to the saintly vision while the thugs beat him along his back and legs. When the vision ended a small cave hole was in front of him. He made one last grand effort and slipped in the cave just deep enough to avoid the raucous shouts and clubs of Baskel's degenerates.

Then Baskel moved to the entrance. He threw spell after spell into the cave but Zack, his wits bearly about him knew enough to counterspell the other sorcerer. They fought a battle of spell and counterspell. Until Baskel drawn and pale had nothing left. And good thing too. Zack was almost out of magic himself.

Baskel and his crew waited all night for Zack to try to make his escape. Come morning they had to move on to their next dastardly deed, so they left him broken and hungry. After another half day our hero Zack crawled out of his hole and made it to the road where a friendly caravan took him to safety.

Zack still plots his revenge upon Baskel the Sorcerer and his crew of barbaric minnions.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Well, my friends. I have decided that for discipline's sake, I will only write four sections of the antics of our glorious, insane adventurers here: for every one chapter of fishing. After all: This is a fishing book not a book about people with sometimes dubious motives and backgrounds sacrificing their bodies and mentality for the rest of our civilization. Thus, I will start every chapter with a new fishing spot on the island and then four sections on the lives of the local insane asylum: The adventurous few that eke out a living through deeds heroic and villainous. Hopefully there is a special church of Selune somewhere in the area to house all the retired explorers that are foaming at the mouth and barking at the moon among other things I don't want to mention.

Perhaps after this book I will begin a new business selling cheap small books about these odd often mental denizens and call them dime-mound back papers selling them for ten gold a piece. That is after I set up my guide service, wand selling store and herbal Distibution outlet. No, I will not be selling mushrooms unless for medicinal purposes. The book my fellow casters must be the first step.

So, let me tell you my friends about my new best buddy, Kage. I came back from the crossroads fishing whole with a huge basket full of trout and suckerfish. My feet had gotten soaked from a hole opening up in the sole of my much-used boots. I set my catch down on the bench. I took off my boots and turned them over letting the water drain out and set them by the fire (we have all been there my friends. You have to have dry feet after all). I then took my two missing soaks off that I have been collecting over the time I have spent on the island. So, what if they are mismatched! It's not like I'm going to die in some hideously dark underground cave or Ancient secret laboratory any time soon.

When I put my socks on the tree to dry, I tied them so they could not escape to become lost again. It was then I noticed on a hill behind the camp a Giant muscley wolf the size of a pony. Maybe even Bigger! This is a true gargantuan specimen of canine ferocity! I was frightened for my life and all four of my limbs! I thought maybe he would eat me and use one of my femurs for a chew toy!

As always Curiosity took over common sense. I took a fish out of my basket and approached the mammoth beast. The wolf looked up at me (He was laying down resting) and gave out a growl that chilled my bones and stopped my heart. Then I noticed I was still holding my fly rod. He probably thought it was some kind of circus whip. I quickly dropped the pole down approaching him with my fish laying it down a few feet in front of him. I backed off slowly and watched.

The wolf got up. My nerves almost gave out on the sheer size of the monstrous beast. He sniffed the fish once then went after it like a staring ravenous adventurer that had been exploring underdark for a month. In three seconds flat my angling friends he reduced the large trout into a shiny white string of bones. Not a speck of meat left.

By the way if you are ever invited to dinner by an adventurer; keep your hands near your own plate and politely ask for seconds. If you don't you may have your hand stabbed by a fork, knife cut off by a two-handed sword or crushed by a mace. A few words of wisdom from a son of two adventurers.

Now where was I? Oh, Yes! The wolf and I made fast friends. That is when looking down the hill I saw the two guards getting fidgety looking up at us on the top of the hill. I then coaxed the wolf to the southern wilds. I assumed it was his natural habitat. We parted with sweet sorrows, me waving my floppy fisherman's hat as he lumbered away searching for his next meal.

The rest of the story about our foray into the frozen wastes of the frost giants and how I found out Kage's name will be in the next chapter: THE SANDBARROW SURF!
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Ah, My fellow casting connoisseurs of fishing. I was going to tell you of my very first adventure in this section, however I heard a story told by Elvalith and Aldrecht so impress I have to rearrange my book to include this epic tale of insanity. I had to tell the tale of seven adventurers that went above and beyond their mortal misgivings and braved the very ABYSS itself to save their island home and perhaps all of Toril. I call them ELVALITH'S JOUNTY JOUSTERS!

Deep in the boules of the abyss a great demon Gloomweaver plotted to overthrow the island of Thain. She was a demon spider like creature wreathed in shadow, wreaking of evil and disease. She was as big as a barn with her brood riding her abdomen scurrying all over it protecting her from spell and sword. They were as big as river rates, plagued with disease and vile poisons.

The Gloomweaver noticed that the barrier between her world and ours was weakened so raised a mighty army of Succubi, Vrock, Badzu, Imps, and even Dretch! She gathered her twelve generals together: Elder Balors of Might and oppressive machinations for the mortal world. She collected this ferocious army of thousands and set herself on a path to break the barrier between her world and ours.

Elvalith the mage feeling the tensions between the lower reaches and the planes saw a vision of this massive army preparing to claim her home and heath for destruction. She gathered together a powerful group of heros to take on this overwhelming threat to our lands. they had no true leader but worked together to win the day and save our fair island for the Gloomweavers plan to enslave and suck the souls out all the land and its peoples. They were:

Elvalith: A mighty elven wizardress devoted to the people of the island.

Aldrecht: A cleric following a heavenly patron Deity with his holy crossbow Hildebrand.

Zarich: Another hero cleric of faith known for his healing and counseling of adventurers across the lands of Thain

Miwa: A warrior woman of the far east who wields two mighty swords and her war horse Pickles

Orn: A man of Shadow and Stealth So slippery that none can see him even running through a horde of orcs

Suina: A hind monk they call the fearless fighting ferret of Sandburrow with the speed of a quickling

And last but not least Varo: A hulking Uthgart barbarian with a great club embedding with glass steel.

These sevem were our only hope in standing against the maniacal Gloomweaver and her vast army of demons.

This group! These magnificent seven held back the hordes of an entire plane so we may stay free!

Elvalith lead them to a gateway in the bowels of a dungeon and preformed a special ceremony. the group was whisked to the wretched abysmal plane that held the Army of the dreaded monster demon 'Cuttleflower Web'. The demon horde assembled. The fight was on!

Miwa was the first to act riding Pickles to bash into the center of the front line her swords a vicious blade barrier hacking limbs of demons as she went. Her eyes completely focused on the first general Balor. Orn followed in her wake protecting pickles from within the horse's shadow stabbing and gutting all that dared go near the equine avenger.

Aldrecht opened the hole to the left using bolts tipped with vials of his deity's holy water. Every time he scored a mark the water would splash over dozens of demons burning their skin and making them flee. His crossbow Hildabrand never failing him.

Varo met the right flank flailing his glass shod club every which way and roaring out a berserker roar that caused nightmares to all those around. With him was our veracious fighting ferret Suina bashing heads with her num-chuks and crippling the foes by taking out their knees. Varo would throw dretch into the back lines using them as living missiles against the stronger of the horde while Sunia dropping her deadly weapon got out her magic sickles and became a blur of slicing madness.

All the while Zarich ran back and forth praying and healing the front combatants so they may continue to stand against colossal nightmare army. And Elvalith threw spell after spell to break the main body up with acid and mind fogs, Ice storms and fire storms.

Miwa makes it to the first general gutting his abdomen the great beast bends down in pain while Orn stabs it in the throat killing it. The pair now behind the first lines turn to meet Varo and Suina fighting for their lives and home. they crash into the back right while the second wave is still too far away to put up a fight.

Aldrecht seeing the second wave coming shoots into them. The screams of burning pain start across the line of the horde. Elvalith runs up beside him laying out more magic fields of death and destruction along the whole of their front while the fighting men and women clean up the rest of the first wave.

Miwa, Orn, Varo, and Suina take a breath after the last of the first wave lay dying or dead. Zarich rushes up to add comfort and healing to them patching up their wounds and giving them the mental fortitude to move on. The four look at each other and nod. Miwa peels off in a charge against the left flank this time with Suina riding in her lap. Orn and Varo charge the left flank. As Miwa gets close, she throws Suina as far as she can to the center of the horde. Suina lands and becomes a whirlwind of death and destruction taking the second general out with three mighty blows of her sickles. All the demons surrounding her disband and run for their lives right into the whirling blades of Miwa Pickles kicking dretch and imps along the way as they crash into the flank.

Orn puts Varo and himself into the shadow realm they stealthy run and sneak into the left flank and appear in the deep within their ranks. Varo spins and lets out a mighty war cry killing several vrock and succubi in a single move while Orn stabs and slashes in and out of shadow protecting his comrade from the worst of the blows against him. It was a ferocious battle.

Wave after wave came at them but with Aldrecht and Zarich's divine healing magics. Elvalith's arcane spells and the furry of the fighting four they took out all of Cuttleflower Web's army and her generals. She tried to run but our glorious heroes and heroines followed her back to her nest, An enormous cave with hanging dried husks of macerated corpses everywhere, cornering her in her very den.

Cuttleflower made a desperate move. She shook her body releasing hundreds of her brood against our intrepid heros and took to the shadows. they surround the group and attack. Miwa was the first to be hunted they crawled up her body biting with their disease-ridden poison and spinning silk all over her body. She threw down her swords and got her dagger trying to stab them without stabbing herself. Orn came to her rescue and started to peel the evil spiderling off her strangling them has he went. Elvalith let off a missile storm stopping many of the evil brood in their tracks. the battle was a give and take with many of the fighters unable to deal with the brood horde on their bodies. It was time for the clerics and mage to shine. They used spells of the heavens while Elvalith used her magical missle spells to hurt and devastate the crowds of minions. Just as they were making headway Cuttleflower appeared behind and attacked.

Miwa taking up her sword again attacked the demons front while Varo hefted his club and went for her thorax. Our fighting ferret spun and dashed underneath the great beast slashing its at its belly with her sickles. Orn carefully watched the beast waiting for his move.

Cuttleflower knowing that she was losing now shook her body again releasing the rest of her brood. The three backed off spiderlings the size of sewer rats all over them. Again Zarich, Aldrecht and Elvalith went into action. Cuttleflower again took to the shadows.
Orn knew it was his move. His turn to to shine. While the others were dealing with her brood Orn and Cuttleflower went toe to toe in and out of shadow.

When the brood was delt with and Cuttleflower sorely wounded she comes again out of shadow to run away from Orn's deadly blades. Miwa, Suina and Varo again facing her in combat. The three fought while Aldrcht peppered her with hildabrand. Zarich's using healing spells to burn her flesh and Elvalith going from person to person using healing packets because her spells were exhausted. At last, they finally down the great demon who fell on top of our fighting ferret Suina. She had to cut her way out of the creature's abdomen covered in goo and stench. The others sorely wounded but alive had to laugh at the sight.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Folk of the Fishing persuasion. Let me tell you one last story of my very first adventure. I did not want to adventure at all. After all I've seen what it has done to my parents. They are completely insane. Yet I was pulled into my first adventure by a scuffy knight of Steinkies by the name of Sephir. A man of questionable background being that it had been a week since he had a bath when we met. His beard was just a bit of stubble, and he wore shabby thread bare leather armor and used a rusty sword.

I was pleasantly sitting at the crossroads camp on a morning of fresh air and comfortable weather sharpening my hooks when with the corner of my eye I spotted a very strange sight indeed. An elven lady of black skin, blood red malevolent eyes and hair as white as snow jaunted up to one of the guards. I KNEW AT ONCE SHE WAS A MEMBER OF THE FOUL RACE OF DROW!

This Drow: This evil denizen of underdark danced in front of the guard shaking her.........well.......booty and playing coy to entice him to leave with her. Probably to some far-off cavern where she can sacrifice him to her dread queen. Greed and lust were in her eyes. I hide behind the bench observing with only my floppy fishierman's hat and my eyes to reveal I was there. The guard seemed to know it was all a ploy and loaded his crossbow.

Suddenly she ran up to him pulling a dagger from her boot. She tried to stab him again and again. STAB! STAB! STAB! He backed away while pointing his crossbow in her direction. Suddenly from the south comes running our scruffy hero SEPHIR. In a full bore run he draws his old rusty sword and makes way in her direction.

The drow notices him coming in and makes a run for it. She disappears into the folds her her allies to the south. The Kobold murder squads of the southern crossroads. Sephir our smelly old knight chases her as he spots me, he yells, "Come with me fair wizards. We will put this evil drow's plans to an end!"

What could I do? I had to follow. We chased her into the kobold lands along the way, Sephir uses some potion or magic and turns himself into a 10ft tall Umber Hulk! The pace slows down as we track her to a corner in the south. His chitinous claws clacking his mandibles clicking along the way.

We finally catch up with her. She turns on me malice in her eyes , "Is that your creature of death wizard come to slay me?"

Scared of those deadly red beads boring into my soul I said, "NO! NO! of course not. I just wanted to know who you are and what you are doing up here."

"My name is Izzy!"

"Oh well, My name is Brath! Brath of Anchorome and this is my new friend Sephir that changed himself into this beast. I don't know way."

"Sephir!" The evil greedy voracious and beautiful drow IZZY makes a break for it! Sephir follows her. I loose track of them and sadly have to use my magic on the remaining kobold death squads in the area. I search over hill and dale until I find Sephir walking back to the crossroads.

"I lost her Brath. She's probably looking for her next victim at this moment."

I pat him on the back. "There will be another time to catch the dread drow Izzy good knight Sephir. in the mean time perhaps a good bath, shave and a haircut will do you good."

Sephir rubs his stubbly face, "Aye"

We walk back to the crossroads in quiet contemplation of what the evil Izzy is doing after we missed our chance to catch her. Probably trying to entice more men to her sacrificial stone and carving their hearts out for her dark maiden.

(A PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT. BEWARE! I have found evidence of evil afoot on the land. There is a Thavian wizard here up to no good. He has coconspirators. One a shirtless man in black trousers know to the island as THE SHADE! Along with a woman with dragon blood. She has wings and icy-blue scales all along her body and a demonic Tiefling is among their group. They may have killed an elven woman north of the crossroads.

I did not see them kill her. but she ran from them and as I stealthily followed them south from the gate of the dragon people, I found the elves dead boy with them standing over her. Beware this group of motley miscreants! I just know they are up to no good, AND THEY MAY ALL BE COMPLICIT IN THE MURDER OF AN ELF!
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Chapter III

The Sandbarrow Surf

Well, my friends. We have made it to CHAPTER III. This is turning out to be a long book. I've never even written a term paper on a spell this long. It is so easy because it involves Fishing! and those comically, sometimes seriously deranged members of our society: ADVENTURERS! We must first speak of our favorite pastime: The fishing. After all this is a fishing book first. So, I bring you one of my very favorite fishing spots of all Toril: The SANDBARROW SURF!

Sandbarrow is a town nestled along the southern coast of the island. It is a scenic small town. It even has an overlook. AN OVERLOOK, featuring the local Hammerstone mountain. You don't really want to go there. There are giants! Wyvern and even Fire elementals. You can take the caravan from the crossroads or the ship at Webster's landing to get there in relative safety.

As I said Sandbarrow is a quaint little town along the coast just full of Gnomes and Halflings. They're always tinkering with something. There's even a metal golem guard that marches around the village protecting us from all the horrid things on Hammerstone mountain. He's called The Mark II meaning there must have been a prototype that failed. Practice! Practice! Practice and all machines can be profected to work as planned. At least thats what the inventive folk in Sandbarrow say. Why the town even has mirrors over its crops to catch more sunlight and they even catch moonlight too, so their plants bask in glory day and night.

The town's beach is both long and wide with plenty of room to cast a line. You even have a cabana bar there. What do you know! It closes early which is sad because just think of the night business they could have. And the bar only has a cabana boy not a girl. So, you girls are in luck, while us boys are just...........Well it won't be our lucky day for sure. As we know that's all secondary to our primary purpose, and that is the fishing of course. There's also a campfire and some sitting logs near the hottest place on the beach.

There are also a whole bunch of guards walking up and down the surf and manning towers of ballista and other deadly equipment. When I first started fishing there the halfling troubadours would scour as me every time they pasted me on their beat. It was all March! March! March! So, I got an idea. I like to read and eat sandwiches while I fish. I started to take a big basket of extra sandwiches and hand them out to the guard as they pass by. Now they are my best friends (They especially like the cucumber and blackberry jam sandwiches) *wink*.

If you plan to do some surf fishing on the sands of Sandbarrow bring plenty of sandwiches and you'll have no trouble with the guard. They may even smile and say Hi! How's it going. Got any extra sandwiches?

Now let's get down to the technical part of this all. To fish the sands of Sandbarrow I would suggest at least a medium or heavy surf pole of no less than 12ft I prefer 14 feet because I'm a very tall man to say the least. I would also bring a chair you can lash yourself down in. You see thus far I have only caught cod, bluefish and tuna from the shores, but I know there are monsters lurking out there just waiting for the right bait. Makos! Sailfish! Marlin! Even the prize of prizes The Great White! If any of those latch on to your line you will definitely need a fishing chair, or you'll come to a horrible death being munched on by a shark or lanced by a bill! That is unless the halfling militia that you have been feeding sandwiches too jump on you and hold you down while you fight the great beast that you caught..............You'll probably need all of them along with their ballista teams.

For bait I have been using shrimp with great luck. I may ask one of the local boats one day to chum the water to see if I can land a big shark but haven't tried yet because the fishing is just so good. In the next few months, I'll also try sardines and anchovies to see if the local monsters like them too.

You will also find much less shiny stuff among your snags and happily almost no missing socks. I have quite the collection now from petite gnomish socks with bells and balls to the most stinky half-orc and ogre socks that can be used as a hammock. I would bleach them thoroughly if they are giant socks. You just don't know where they have been.

All in all, this little spot of paradise has produced the most fish and the least number of snags and other non fish things on the whole of the island. It may even be the best overall place to fish in Thain!

Now that we have Sandbarrow completed my fellow fishing friends I will tell you a few stories of our local crazy members of Thain that make a difference in our lives by putting theirs's on the skewer of danger. Our lovable adventuring miscreants. Will the first story be about the young woman that fights the ghosts of Fire Giants while giant serpents as long as a feast hall try to crush her in their consticonist coils! Will it be about frothy mouthed half-orcs trying to make their place in the world. Or will it be about the seedy underworld of the slums district of Steinkies! Read on and find out about the facinating and dangerous places not to be if you are a normal fishing fanatic like we all know we are.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Hello again my fellow wader wearers. I must tell you this story because it really happened. A fantastic story about a true monster fish. It was over NINE! feet long. A true mutant that looked like a cross between a salmon and a yellow fin tuna. A creature so monstrous I could not believe my eyes nor where I found this monster of the waters. Nor did my Intrepid healer companion, Tova.

It all started on a bright sunny morn at the crossroads trout water hole. A woman came up to me and we were causally conversing. What was it all about. Well, it was about fishing of course. She was very interested in my fly-fishing technics. So, I was showing her the basics. The lines so to speak. Did you get that, HA! All the time I was questioning her about her great adventures in the land.

She informed me that she was in fact not an adventurer. Just like me! Most likely she knew like I most adventurers are completely insane and have a death wish. But here is the greatest part of the story. She does go with adventures on their forays into the great unknown of the dark island continent called Thain. And what does she do? Well, she is a healer. She stays behind the front lines and when one of the real adventurers has an arm hacked off or half their faces torn off by the claws of some monstrous beast, she slaps mud on the wound, kicks them in the ass and says, "Now get back out there and kill those creatures so everyone can live in peace." So not only a healer but an expert at motivation as well! Truely a well-rounded and educated woman.

So, we are having a good time. Eating apple cinnamon and kale sandwiches when all of the sudden we heard a great splash in the water. We looked out thinking someone fell into the water. There was nothing my friends. It raised my suspicions that there was in fact the mother of all trout deep within the hole just waiting to be caught.

All went quiet for a few moments while Tova explained bone saws to me and how to quickly and efficiently saw of a ruined limb of an adventurer and what herbal mixtures to slap on the amputated stump to stop the bleeding when all of the sudden there was another huge splash!

We studied the deep hole and in the shadows was a fish so big I could not believe my eyes. It must have swum up from the landings bay and gotten stuck int the shallows of the stream. It was circling the hole eating trout, bugs and anything it could find. I knew it was our day to shine, Tova and me.

I reached for my can of crickets. Opening it (OH NO!) I was out of bait. Quickly I threw my bait rod down and grabbed my fly rod. Taking my biggest fly from my hat I tied it to the line and threw it in. It took a few times. Tova had to stand back while I swung the line back and forth to get the fly right in front of the fish's mouth.

The first thing it did was try to drag me into the deep hole with it. My calves strained. I slid further and further to the hole. The fish was winning the battle. I dug my heels in and fought back always keeping my tip up. I did not want to lose this legend of a fish. The fight became a stalemate. We battled for over an hour. Tova cheering me on.

I started to tire folks. This was the grandest fish battle of my life. Give and take. let out some line, take in some line. Tova seeing my struggles and fatigue and knowing I was about to be pull into the hole to be eaten by the great beast of a fish took initiative.

She suddenly jumped straight into the hole wrapping her arms and legs around the fish! It tried to dislodge her of course rolling and rolling like a crocodile to try to get her off its back and drown her. This was my chance. I waited for just the right moment because the fish was so large, I just knew it would get her off its back eventually. It swam to the side of the hole and rolled. The water there was shallow enough that Tova's back ran across the stone of the stream. She could do nothing but release the fish. I was keeping my line taunt the whole of the time waiting for just that moment.

I gave a mighty heave as the fish tried to jump again and I landed the Great Ole Jabber Jaw onto the stream bank. Tova sprang out of the water and subdued the beast.

Now that we had the largest fish every to be caught in a trout stream. We had to figure out what to do with it. I just knew it would rake in a huge reward from the tackle. But you know what folks Tova disagreed and convinced me otherwise.

She said that such a grand fish should be preserved. We need to find a lake where it could thrive and have many other fishes so that anglers all over the world could fish a new fishing paradise in the coming years. She was using a canteen to keep the fish breathing. It still struggled but on land it was no match for our kind healer.

I thought about this mightily. If we conserve this fish and it breeds to create a fishing paradise where would the perfect place be? The answer popped straight into my head. Ambler lake was too shallow and had no sizable fish but there was another lake. This large deep lake is called Wyrm lake it sits just north of crater lake and this fish would thrive there in the cold waters.

I told Tova of Wyrm lake and that it would be the perfect place for such a monster. She smiled and nodded to me. "That would be perfect, Brath!"

I put two spells of haste on us. She took the head, and I took the tail. We ran as fast as we could to the lake all the time Tova used her canteen putting it in the fish's mouth so it could breathe. Halfway there she ran out. Tossing her canteen to the side she ordered me to give her mine. I did and quickly without protest. She again fed it the water which sputtered back out of its gills as we ran.

We get to the lake. Wading into the shallows I took the head and started moving the water in front of its mouth. It was dazed and confused not wanting to wiggle around. Tova our gracious healer said some kind of healing spell and kissed the fish on the top of its head.

The fish instantly revived and began to thrash around in our arms. We released the grand old fish and watched it swim into the depths of the lake happy as can be. We dubbed it "Ole Man Finnigan". Afterward Tova and I sat for a space along the shore eating more sandwiches and talking about the good deed we had done for the conservation of fishing on the island.

The night coming on we made our way back to the crossroads. Said our happy tearful good-byes on the good deed we had done this day and separated to our own devices. For me that was scouting for the next fishing hole where in lies a monster like Ole Man Finnigan.
CTP team member