The Kozakura Campaign
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: The Kozakura Campaign

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Early in the morning before sunrise Drasta is relieved by Samo. She goes down and gets several trays of breakfast and brings them up to the room. Mika is there. Drasta waits for an hour for her to wake up. Just before Sei opens the door waking up to the smell of food and wonders in. He waits until Mika wakes up before stepping in the threshold of the room so that both women are awake. He she does He goes in and sits down beside them.

Drasta looks to Sei, “I was trying to keep what I am hidden… Please do not tell Haru.”

“I will not speak of it.” He nods to her.

“Too many find it dangerous…”

"Aye, some only see threat in anything that does not look the same as they do."

She then turns to Mika, “I couldn’t make it to the two of you in time…”

Mika sighs. “We did not expect such an encounter of strength on the main road, or we would have included more samurai, Serves us right. No road is truly safe in Kozakura.”

Drasta sighs, “I am glad we got the young one back perhaps he will learn from this.”

Sei asserts, "Aye, I was expecting him to take the idea that we were going into a serious battle...a bit more seriously his own self."

Drasta agrees, “As was I. Who is left?”

Mika answers her. “Etsuko and Suzu are gone and most likely dead. I have no idea how Kami escaped but she did. and she seems to be very adept at herbalism. She brought me back from death's door.”

Drasta thinks, “Yes…. Kame. Sei, can you bring me to Hideo if he is awake?”

"If he's in shape to talk...I'm not sure if he's much for serious conversation yet though" He leaves for Hideo’s room finding Hideo passed out and Kami sleeping with her head in his lap. He comes back shaking his head. "He's resting at the moment."

Drasta shrugs, “Hope…” Thinks… “that I may have proved I am not a barbarian to him...That hope is low.”
Mika laughs.

Sei adds, "Sometimes, a barbarian is what's called for though" He laughs lightly "We had a few quite notable berserker sorts around back home, absolute hellions on the field and good folks off it even if they weren't exactly socialites."

Mika rolls in pain as she laughs. When it’s over she sits up. “Hideo doesn’t stay away from you because he thinks you are a barbarian, Oh Drasta how naive are you really."

Drasta looks at her funny, “What then?”

“What are Kyo and Yoshie discussing in regard to Hideo?”

“His training from what I have overheard.”

She laughs again. "Drasta how old is Hideo?"

“15?” She shifts and sits forward tracing the scar on her face.

“So, what do parents discuss especially noble parents discuss when a boy is near be coming of age?”

“Well, this will be interesting to explain to my love and lady Miwa.”

“Hideo is weak and soft. He shuns proper training do you really think that Kyo and Yoshie will put everything they have made into a young man that’s so not ready for leadership of a clan?”

“I do not come from a noble house so that is difficult to tell...Sei? I was not sent here to train him. I cannot help with this.”

Mika laughs and shakes her head. “You still don’t understand, do you?”

Drasta gazes over at the window. “This journey is part of his training in some way on an easy note I would think.”

Mika sighs, “"Sei could you give me some help here?"

Drasta exasperates, “I have my own focus here.” She gets up and leans against the wall. Standing slightly weakly.”

Mika looks at Drasta dead in her eyes. “This should be your focus.”

Drasta looks mystified, “I brought him back from a ransom...It was not explained this mission we were on other than to protect them.”

Mika shakes her head, “Let me explain it so you understand. In two years Kyo and Yoshie will propose a woman for Hideo to marry. what also happens in two years.”

Drasta stands wavily listening. Mika shakes her head again and continues. His fierce take no prisoners auntie who is his aunt not by blood and who’s been taking heads since she was 12 years old comes back.

You don’t think Kyo and Yoshie are discussing her for a potential 1rst wife? If you do not Your really, really, dumber than you look. If Hideo marries Miwa, she will run over him like a bull after a peasant. She won’t put up with him. Thats why he’s so afraid of you. It’s not you he fears Its the fact that you represent her.

Drasta places her foot against the door and snaps her fingers together running a sylvan rune in front of her twisting it in Miwa's image and likeness spinning some deep guttural enchantment and holding her hands outward summoning Miwa’s essence. “You no longer know her like I do.”

Mika sighs. “Tigers don’t change their strips, Drasta. You know how people use to find your Matron after a battle? They used to follow the largest trail of blood. It wasn’t her blood either. It was all the enemy she killed. I wouldn't even call it a trail more a pathway.

Ask Lady Yamamoto her battle name is Silkworm she was in second command of Miwa’s cavalry before Miwa was banished. Miwa's father breeds the best warhorses in the entirety of Kozakura.

Almost no one could stand before her unit with those warhorses and how she trained her women to kill completely without remorse.”

Drasta snaps her fingers and huffs leaning against the wall. “Yet… She sent me here.”

“Yes, she sent you here because no matter how good you are, you need someone to watch your back. For a noblewoman that means a besshikime.”

Drasta sits back down. “I have seen her in battle cut down many with only a few movements.
You think she will marry with Hideo...chuckles He is too weak.”

Mika laughs again, “Do you really think she has a choice if Kyo so orders it. She was already banished once for love. Tell her Sei. Noblewomen do not decide who they marry. Their leader or father does.”

Drasta huffs a bit. Sei chooses to finally speak. "Aye, noblewomen generally get married off as tokens of politics instead of pursuing their own love interests."

Drasta stares at Sei in disbelief. He continues, sighs "Tis not something I can change, as much as much as one might wish to."

She bangs the back of her head against the wall. “It is your way....It is something I am not happy about.” She watches Sei’s forehand thinking on the words he had said.”

He shrugs, “Aye, there are definite downsides to it.”

Mika sighs, “What do you care, Drasta? Do you love her? Then make sure she gets her papers married to Hideo or someone else."

“I care for her…” Drasta closes a hand cracking her knuckles.

Mika asks, “Do you know what a married woman's papers are? They are papers signed by her husband so she can see other women if she wants. Not men that’s a death sentence but women yes."

Drasta nods, “She has told me this.”

“With her status as a widow she can see any man or woman she wants but once she gets married no more men. And she needs to get papers signed by her husband to have permission to see women. It’s usually no problem.”

Drasta explains, “I would like to see her happy.”

Mika laughs, “Stupid girl. for all warrior women it’s not about happiness it’s about their duty to emperor, clan, and family.”

Drasta infuriated says, “You would be wise not to call your elders stupid.”

Mika looks straight in her eyes. “Then act like one.”

“I speak honestly, Mika. That is who I am.” She walks out of the room looking at Sei then closes the door sitting in the hall. Sei follows her and sits down.

She takes out a coin and spins it on the floor wondering what she is doing here.

Sei watches the coin while he explains. "So, a lot of the folks in the court don't think of matters of their own happiness much at all -- they are servants of the court and shogun first, and themselves a much distant second even."

“Kyo…Yes. We killed the last man who infiltrated and tried to make Miwa his with pressure.
raises a hand with a small amount of energy and shows him the battlefield.

He Sees Drasta running through cutting all down quickly with Miwa behind mostly unscathed. The battle is within a ship where Drasta went berserk. They think I am a monster...Maybe they are not wrong....”
"They do not understand what it is like to be born different."

She places her head on her knees. “I am still human in some form…I feel.”

Sei remembers something from a few years ago. A Koryon was welcomed to the court. He was the son of a wealthy merchant that bought a daimyo appointment and whose lands bordered Kyo’s to the to the north. The son rose in the court, while the father was harboring a ninja clan.

When the time was right, the son proposed marriage to Miwa. The court got wind of something sneaky going on and played with the son which was a mistake. The son came to Miwa and said he was to be her new husband. Miwa didn’t understand that and was polite and let him court her. Her concern was why a Koryoan noble was in Kyo’s court. Koryoans and Kozakurans hate each other so much there is an embargo between the two countries.
Kyo was almost killed at his hunting lodge by the son’s ninja. Meanwhile Miwa was slowly figuring out that the son was not what he seems. He sent ninja against her. Because she was being stand offish not sure what was going on. it didn’t feel right.

Eventually she chased his ship and her and Drasta were captured. The sons whole plan was to take her dragon (one she befriended) and use it to keep Kyo at bay until he could marry Miwa and kill Kyo. After that he planned to kill Miwa to get her out of the way and take the shogun’s position for himself.

On the ship Miwa and Drasta were captured but Kyo himself and his personal guard infiltrated the son’s guard and dressed as his ninja. Kyo cut Miwa and Drasta’s bonds and the fight was on.

Miwa unchained the dragon who was on the ship. They destroyed most of the ship and ninja. The son fled to the island. Kyo gave Miwa permission to kill him she mounted the dragon for the first time and flew to the island where she and Drasta killed the son. Not only that Miwa had a soul sucking blade. She trapped the son’s soul in the blade for the blade to use as fuel saying it was a fitting punishment for a traitor.

Sei thinks hard on the memory and says, “I think they fear that Miwa may take matters into her own hands if they do what they see as the courtly thing."

She looks to him. “I am partially to blame as well. I was there protecting her. She did not ask this of me I offered it.”
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The next morning Samo finds the horses that they stabled gone. The outlook is bleak. The funds are down but they manage to scrape enough together to stay at the inn and get to Shinto court. Several in the party need a few more days to rest. The inn is obviously being monitored quite closely. Some of the rough men they see across the street they seem to recognize as the 5 near the woods at the Yamamoto compound. Maybe they are, maybe not but there are a few men there that close to matching in size, height and weight and seem to be carrying the same ronin type weapons.

Drasta makes a note of them to Sei. He nods but doesn’t say anything straight away.

Hideo and Kame go out on the second day to gather some supplies and see the town. After they come back the ruffians seem to for the most part have disappeared. Only one or two are now monitoring the inn at one time not 4 or 6.

Meanwhile Mika, who is not 100% yet is rigorously training Drasta in etiquette, the proper attire for a concubine along with makeup which is quite thick she finds out. She also trains her on the use of the tessen (steel and iron fighting hand fans) and out in the back with a naginata. Since these weapons take years of training, Drasta is very slow in getting it. It makes Mika both more frustrated and more determined to train her harder. Drasta is completely exhausted by dusk and left to sleep.

Nothing happens for the next two days. The group packs up early on the third day. Hiromy comes back from the temple and silently packs her gear.

Samo asks if anyone wants to do anything today before they leave. Drasta mentions she would like to go to the temple seeing that Hiromy may not want to speak with her. Samo releases her to do so.

She goes to the temple of the sun and asks for Yuko. She comes seeing Drasta mildly perplexed. Drasta bows to her, “Would you have anything to share on what has occurred since our last meeting.”

The priestess recognizes her. “Hiromy has harbored feelings of jealousy about you since you have come here. She could not let those feelings out, so the monster was created by those dark feelings. Hiromy has trained since she was a child to become Besshikime, yet you come here and are inducted into training and work within a few weeks. It is a natural thing given the circumstances."

Drasta nods, “I understand how she can feel this way.”

"Things do not work here like they do in your homeland. many of the gods from your world do not hear the pleas of their followers and many things here, many creatures are unique to our world. Learn quickly. It will be hard, but if you learn it shows you are worthy of the importance of your task.”

“That is indeed proving a challenge.”

"All challenges can be overcome as the one you are walking into."

“Indeed. You have my thanks for this knowledge. I will give her some time before I speak with her again then.”

Yuko nods and bows. Drasta bows deeply and begins her journey back to the inn. As she is walking back, she sees something strange in a side ally. A thick black smoke is obscuring her view at the other end. She drops a pommel into her hand and watches.

As the smoke starts to clear she sees nothing but an old beggar sitting at the side of the alley near the middle. She says, “Curious.”

Drasta has seen many strange things in her life, so she decides to leave it alone, but something makes her stop. Movement out of the corner of her eyes. She again turns her eyes to the alley. Something seems to have pulled out from the wall of one of the homes. It’s a figure in clothes the same color as the wall. The form goes over to the old man and starts beating him with a cudgel. The old man curls up into a defensive ball as the other younger man is now beating him. Drasta drops the dagger from her sleeve to her hand and starts walking towards them, “Tsk, tsk… What is this about?”

As she gets ¼ way into the alley something explodes both in front and behind her. The figure tosses the cudgel and puts his hand in his robes suddenly flinging something at her. She ties to sidestep whatever he threw and rush him, but he takes a step and seems to disappear. Thick black smoke now blocks both entrances to the alley. She looks behind down to see three metal stars with sharpened points buried into the ground just past her feet.

She pulls out her Rapier and takes a defensive position listening. She hears a slight whirling sound coming from the smoke behind her. A kama like weapon attached to a chain comes straight at her. It slashes right through her arm armor. She feels a shockwave of electricity go through it. As the weapon retreats the other end of the chain comes out of the smoke. It overshoots but starts to bend around to entangle her. She is able to dodge over it by jumping.

The one who is wielding the chained weapon comes out of the smoke. He is dress in camouflage-like clothing mimicking the cobblestones of the street. He’s building up momentum with his weapon for the next strike meanwhile the other figure appears on the side of you.

She dashes toward the one who attacked her with the kusarigama attempting to carve him to pieces. She gets to him growling like a feral animal before he can attack and strikes him three times leaving three deep flesh wounds. The man leaps 20ft hanging on to the gutter, then seems to melt into the wall itself.
The other man not being able to get to her throws three more shuriken at her. Again, they miss but as she is dodging them, a woman seems to appear out of nowhere with two slightly short, curved swords longer than a wakizashi but smaller than a katana. One of them has fire along the blade. The other glows green and drips of something acrid. She slices Drasta across her ribs twice with one of them.

Drasta draws on her fey heritage and there is a flash of green light energy. The one with the shuriken and the girl are temporarily stunned but the one with the kusarigama is not. He jumps back down to the ground. The girl with the ninja-tos seems to pass a barrier and fade ghostlike into nothingness. The man with the shuriken also seems to just vanish.

The man with the kusarigama is getting his weapon moving again but more in a defensive way. Drasta looks over to him and lashes out angrily with her blades. Her blades should have hit him but somehow, he avoids three strikes by knocking each blow away with his weapon. Her 4th strike hits home. Her blade goes through his armor just below the ribs leaving a laceration and lots of flowing blood. As she does this, she catches the one throwing stars at her reappear from behind and slightly to the side.

In desperation the man in front of her tries to slice her with the kama end of his weapon. Her armor saves her, but he also manages to entangle her with his chain and pulls her leg out from under her knocking her off balance before she can pull it back unentangling it. She goes low on him striking out with both her blades and cutting him on the outside thigh. Fairly wounded now he takes a step back and seems to disappear again.

As he disappears three more shurikens come flying in from behind her. As she is dodging them the woman again reappears right beside her and strikes out with her blades. She again strikes Drasta twice with her flame blade slicing through her armor like butter and burning both her flesh and armor.

Drasta spins the small blade backwards in her hand. “You do not want to continue.” She slashes out at the woman. She connects with her first and last strike but only making flesh wounds. The woman has good protection.

The woman steps back and throws something on the ground. Drasta hears a female’s voice. “I’ve seen enough and so has my patron. Smoke fills the alley. When it clears. Drasta is alone. She snarls angrily.

She takes a moment to calm herself letting the fey energy subside and returns to the tavern with a heavy step.

Back at the inn, Mika takes one look at her wounds and asks, “What happened?”

Drasta thinks of Miwa a moment then harshly calls out, “She called them ninja!”

Mika shakes her head. “Who?”

“Miwa warned of their type. They stick into the shadows and are unseen when wanted… I believe there were three of them who attacked me.”

“Why are you not dead then? Did you kill them?”

Drasta shakes her head chuckling. “I am not easy to kill as they are not as they retreated quickly.”
Mika thinks a moment then looks at you. "If their mission was to kill you either you or all of them would be dead."

“Hmm...They left with a lady saying they had seen enough....This is concerning...”

"So, a test then but who is testing you? and why?"

“That is what I would like to know as well...Where is Hideo?”

“In his room with Kame and the two samurai. We’ll be relieving the samurai in a few hours.”

Drasta sighs, “Perhaps best to speak with both of them.”

Mika nods. “Besides Kame can dress your wounds for you.”
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Mika and Drasta walk to Hideo’s room. He is there with Kame. Kenshin is at the door and Samo is in the room sharpening his blades. Drasta and Mika bow to Hideo. While Hideo recognizes the two of them, Kame immediately tries to take Drasta’s hand and make her lay down so she can dress her wounds. Drasta refuses to lay down but sits for her. She looks up at Hideo, “We have a problem Hideo.”

Hideo rolls his eyes, “What are you talking about?”

“I just had combat with Ninja.”

“Ninja? That’s crazy. The only thing out here are farms and fishermen. There’s no one rich enough to hire ninja… Unless they come from the palace and were set to waylay us?”

Drasta explains what she just said to Mika then looks to Kame and what she is doing which is dressing her wounds. She breaths a moment looking back at the young heir and stops her words. “I am glad to see you back to health.”

He shrugs, “It seems it wasn’t our mission that was the target then. It was you."

“Perhaps...Do you have thoughts on this?”

“I've never even seen a ninja my entire life. if samurai catch them, they will kill them immediately except maybe some unscrupulous samurai, but they are few and far between.”

Drasta thinks for a moment. “Does a man with a chained blade bring thoughts? Or a woman with ghostly figures?” She looks back to Kame studying what she is doing.

Mika comments, "Those are ninja tactics and weapons. Drasta, you speak of Kusarigamas, Kyoketsu_shogi and other classic weapons used by these naves. As far as ninja abilities they can meld into walls, disappear and reappear and many use shadow to both hide and strike from along with smoke bombs, blinding bombs and other small items that cause confusion and chaos."

Kame stays silent and listens while you talk. She’s fairly adept at treating wounds.

Drasta places a hand upward pulling her hood back tucking her hair back looking to Hideo. “I do not know how to further guard you if we have this many threats. It will be more dangerous now.”

Hideo nods. “I will write a letter to lord Shinto and request escort from this town to his small palace.”

Drasta asks, “How much farther do we need to travel?”

Mika flatly states. “Two days.”

Drasta sighs, “Do you have any temples to fey guardians close to their palace?” The word fey comes out in common since she doesn’t know what that word is in their language.

They all look at her perplexed. Hideo sighs, “I’ll send a letter. Dad is going to be mad, really mad.”

Samo shakes his head, “We’re going to be a laughingstock.”

Drasta muses, “He may be happy I was with you on this journey.”

Mika says, "Maybe, I don't know. either way we are going to lose face from a daimyo of a foreign territory come rescue a shoguns diplomatic party."

Samo shrugs, "Everyone loses face now and again. We'll have to take our medicine and bear it."

Drasta nods to Samo. “We must take a fall with grace and learn from it.” Then looks at Hideo. “Perhaps you can ask your father about how we had met once.”

"Father is days and days away. It doesn’t matter at the moment. We need to focus on the now. At least that’s what everyone says." Samo rolls his eyes.

Drasta nods, “We must be on our guard at every moment.”

Hideo grumbles, "After lord Shinto gets my letter, we'll have nothing to worry about. I'm sure of that." He finishes the letter and puts his seal on it. Kame stops and thinks for a few moments. Then continues at her task.

Drasta holds a handout to signal Kame to stop. Kame sort of wakes out of her contemplation then finishes up. “What are you thinking Kame?”

"Who me? I'm but a peasant's daughter and concubine. I don’t really think a lot about much except my good fortunes in being here."

Drasta stares deeply at her. “Perhaps I do not believe this.”

She smiles and says, "I have to keep Hideo well kept. It’s my job and I love doing it. He's very gentle with me."

“And the ronin at the last Inn that approached our table seeming to pull something from under the table?”

She finishes up and goes over to Hideo. He puts his arm around her. "I've already lost Etsuko and Suzu. Kame is the only one I have left."

She puts her head under Hideo's arm. "I don’t know what she’s talking about my lord."

Samo looks at her and him and then at Drasta. Mika taps her teeth with her finger thinking.

Drasta glares at Kame deeply. “You think my eyes do not see everything!”

Kame wraps her arms around Hideo and hugs him. "Hideo looks at Drasta sternly. I hope you have proof of something?"

Drasta retorts, “Hideo...I have no reason to Lie to you.” She quietly drops a hilt into her hand while staring still at Kame. “Perhaps it was a mistake you falling with your fingers pressing under that table in that place...I am not fooled.” She looks to Mika a moment with a side glance.

Before Drasta can get her dagger out. Kame lifts up her hand and says some archaic words. There is a blinding flash. Everyone is blinded.

When their eyes clear, Kenshin walks into the room. “"What the hell happened and how did someone bring a fox in here? I almost tripped over it as it ran away."

Drasta yells, “Kill it!” Then vanishes, void jumping outside hoping to catch it.”

Kenshin looks down the hallway. “Umm.”

Drasta gets down to the ground with her void jump and she does see the fox. One of the Ronin has it in his arms across the street and he’s cooing to it. "Hey, this thing just jumped in my arms. It’s a pretty thing I think I'll keep it.

Others laugh. One guy says, “What cha going to name it? How about Foxy!"

Drasta draws her bow and aims it at the fox. “No mor tricks or you will die.”

One of the ronin shouts, “Guys!” Three of them unsheathe their swords and call out to the tea house.
Drasta notches her arrow farther back almost splintering the wood.

The ronin with the fox runs in the tea house while several more pile out about 5 more of them.
One calls out, "Hey little lady. Nice bow. Bad Idea. How about you turn around and go back to your lord."
Drasta shouts back, “Say little one more time!”

As you stand them off you hear spurs coming out of the inn. An old, retired samurai with his daisho walks out. He observes the situation over then turns and using a walking stick walks away from the scene. He mounts a handsome warhorse and starts off down the street to the western gate of the city. The ronin back off slowly from you back into the tea house.

Drasta follows them into the tea house, bow drawn. As she gets there the owner and wife jump out a window. Mika is marching over to her. “What are you doing, Drasta!?”

“Hengeyokai. The fox. Kame is a shape changer.”

The ronin have scattered out the doors and windows. Mika sighs and nods. “I see it now. Do you know what she wanted? or did she just want to take Hideo for a ride?"

“Get her before I kill her, and we will find out.”

“Put the bow down she’s most likely gone by now.”

Drasta runs to the back of the inn and fires a seeker arrow. It flies into the forest. Drasta tracks it until she finds a fox. The arrow is in her leg and her throat has been slashed across its front. There is a tanto lying beside the beast. The wound seems to be self-inflicted. Drasta huffs angerly and picks up the body rushing back to the inn.

Mika catches up with you and looks at the body, "Well its done. whatever information she had is lost to us. Let’s burn her so that her ghost will never haunt us. She died with dignity and honor. she deserves a funeral."

Drasta arches a brow, “I suppose she has. You should have stayed with Hideo.” She opens a temporary fey gate to her and Mika’s room and pushes her through back to the inn. She then comes to Hideo’s room. Everyone is there now including a very perturbed Mika. She murmurs swearing in sylvan. “I told you Mika.”

Samo finally frustrated stands, "What exactly is going on. The city guard is on alert and looking for Mika and Drasta. They want to bring the two of you in for questioning. and what is that fox doing on your shoulder. I’ve had enough and as samurai leader I am pushing my authority."

Drasta meets his eyes. “This fox is Kame, a spy.”

"She’s a spy. For whom is she spying? What is her mission? What information have you gotten from her?" He looks at Drasta then turns to Hideo."

Hideo shrugs. “I wasn’t interested in what she had to say. She was good in bed.”

Samo looks grim, “And what did you tell her young lord?”

Drasta says, “I would only think Ronin and Ninja are involved...She was dead when we found her by her own will.” She glares toward Hideo.

Hideo bites back at Samo. “Ummm nothing important like I was trained too!"

Samo turns his attention back to Drasta, “You think!?” Hideo backs himself up and hides behind the other samurai.”

Drasta looks to Mika, “We can do this easy or hard if he will not tell us.”

Samo gets very loud, “You will not hurt the young lord in any way shape or form. You be very careful about what you are about to say, Drasta."

“I would not hurt him. I have other ways to extract information that does not harm anyone.” She grabs her blades and bow and gestures them forward to Kenshin.

Mika softly says, “Drasta stand down. Before you get into trouble. Let’s go to our room.”

Drasta angerly accuses, “He said something...He may not know it, but it was something important.” She then looks at Mika, “Tomorrow then.” She then looks at Hiromy who flinches then makes her way out of the room not wanting to be a part of this whole thing.

She closes her eyes, “Who is on shift?”

Samo looks at Drasta. “I will be on shift this whole night and the door will be locked. My partner will guard the other door.”

“And the window?”

“I will be inside guarding the young lord."

“I will stay with you then.... I am not happy about this.”

Samo looks Drasta dead in the eye, "No you will not. Hideo is our responsibility not yours. The concubines were your responsibility to guard. Get some rest. We will discuss this further in the morning."

Drasta huffs, “You best do what you do.” She leaves swearing loudly and punching the crossbeams. Returning to her room, looking at Mika. “I am sorry I was so angry.” Turns and scribbles out the glyphs in the room. “I suppose i should talk with the guards downstairs.”

Mika looks out the window sadly, "Anger. It can be used in battle. But our work. Our work needs patience. Whatever game our adversary was playing I believe we lost. I'm your commander. I'll take care of it.”
“They are all dead...Our mission is a failure.”

“Yes. it is. I will lose my rank and most likely be thrown out of the shoguns guard.”

“You can blame my misunderstanding to this. Perhaps I should have seen this sooner.”

"I am the besshikime leader on this mission. It falls upon my shoulders and my shoulders alone.”

“And you will still be so...It will take time you must see this. Hideo is still alive and that is something sister. And you nearly died.”

“Samo is right Hideo is his responsibility. Ours was his concubines.”

“Perhaps in some ways...Perhaps some may still be alive.”

“Would you bet on such things, Drasta? Odds are not good.”

“There is only a small chance Mika. They would never be the same as who they were once before...I wonder if it even worth the chance.”

“I'll take Kames body to the priestess. I have a feeling she will know how to deal with the remains properly. get some rest. it will be a long two days.”

“She may even be able to speak with it...There are some clerics who can do so.”

Mika nods to her and leaves. As Drasta lays down to rest, she notices the tea house across the street seems more merry than usual and there is much celebration.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

In the morning Drasta is the first to wake. As she goes to the common bathroom for the floor she finds Hiromy kneeling on the floor. Her front to one of the back mirrors. There are red and white towels around her. Her head is down as if in prayer and her calves are tied together with her Odi.

She looks at Hiromy curiously. “What are you doing?”

Hiromy doesn’t move. Drasta looks in the mirror attempting to see Hiromy’s reflection. She cannot see her face, but she can see the entire front of her kimono is red. Her kaiken is sitting in the middle of a clean towel in front of her.

She runs out of the bath and goes to retrieve Mika or Sei. She finds Sei first. He studies her, “Something the matter…?”

She points towards the bathroom. “Hiromy is in there and not moving…Her calves are tied together and her kaiken is on a towel on the floor.”

Sei frowns softly, “Let me go look. It could very well be the work of her own hand.”
Drasta nods and stays with him. The two of them go to the bathroom. There are two other guests there. They bow silently as the two of them walk past. As they come into the room, Hiromy is still in the same position she was.

Sei comes around to her front and looks for wounds. Her neck has been carefully cut artery to artery so that the pumping blood would run down her body instead of spraying out to the sides. The towels absorbed all the blood that did not get soaked up by her clothing. Her hand still holds a second towel stained with blood. Most likely it was used to clean her kaiken.

Drasta stammers, “Do you believe she did this to herself?”

He looks more closely at the towel she’s holding and does a slow nod. “Aye, this is consistent and with not other theory, I think she…felt that she had no choice in the wake of what she saw as failure and dishonor to herself.”

Drasta sighs, “I see…”

Kenshin comes sauntering up in a bath towel. He eyes the peasants silently as they bow to him and when he comes into the room, he sees the two of you and her. He assesses the situation, sighs, and says, "I'll get Mika."

About 10 minutes later, Mika joins them with Kenshin right behind. Her face has a grim visage. “Stand aside please.” Everyone steps out of her way.

She crouches down and tilts Hiromy's head up inspecting the wound. "She did the honorable thing given the situation. There should be a temple of the Eagle and Bear in this town. Take her there. Do not forget her Kaiken. I will clean up here."

Sei gets to work first picking up her kaiken then the body. Drasta helps him. Mika grabs a bucket and mop. She takes water out of the bathtub to wash the floor. Sei and Drasta have the body now and go outside with some direction asking they find a small temple house dedicated to the eagle goddess and bear god.

In the temple a small 5'2"ish priestess greats you at the door. She’s very pretty. "Blessings to you. How may a priestess help?"

Drasta stammers, “I am unsure on how to explain this properly.” She looks to Sei.

"We have one who has passed on into the afterlife and needs her last rites." Sei bows to the priestess and lays the body out gently, doing the appropriate thing with the kaiken.”

Sei and Drasta place her hands over her heart and place the kaiken sheathed between them. The priestess looks the body over. She questions you, “Her mon is Barasume. Is this correct?”

Sei nods, “Indeed.”

She looks over the wound. “I must know the dishonor that led her to this ultimate sacrifice?”

Sei replies, “She may have taken it to the grave with her, a fall of her own creation."

The priestess replies, “She may go to hell if Her failures are not known? Please enlighten me if possible.”
Drasta mentions, “Perhaps the priestess she spoke with before may know this.”

“Then I request the priestess be brought to me. Tell her Priestess Sango of the Eagle requests her presence.”

"That is fair." Sei heads off to fetch the other priestess. Drasta waits at the temple watching over Hiromy.

Sei goes to the temple of Namikami while Drasta waits. The young priestess reverently takes the kaiken from the body then strips the clothes off and bathes the body wet towels then redress it in a pure white kimono. She then does up her hair and paints the body’s face. A slight smile comes to the corner of her mouth while she does the hair and makeup. She comments, "I have a sister that could not look at herself in a mirror. I used to have to do her makeup and hair for her. Every time I perform last rights and funerals for those women that protects us, I am reminded of those years."

Sei finds the priestess at the temple. She looks at you queerly, "Master Sei, have you come to worship?"

Sei shakes his head and bows "Priestess Sango of the Eagle wishes to speak with ye, madame." He brings the other priestess to the temple. She bows to the priestess of the eagle which the other recognizes. She then looks at Hiromy's body. "It is sad, but she has saved her soul with her sacrifice."

Sango asks, “What was her sin that was so grievous she resorted to this?"

"The sins were two-fold. The first she created a creature of hate and jealousy that attacked her sister. The other was she lost her charges to the Oni and did not die nor attempted to rescue them."

Sango studies Drasta intently, "You are a trainee. Who is the leader of your unit?"

“Mika is our leader. She had requested we bring her here.”

The priestess nods. "Tell her I am sorry for her loss but will absolve her sins. We will take the body now to the pyre. we have a few set up in the back for such occasions."

You move the body to the back. The priestess of Namikami acts as Sango’s second. The priestess takes the Kaiken and places it in an urn. while Sango lights incense around the body. Sango prays over the body noting each sin of the dead woman then pleads with the gods to absolve her of it being she took her own life in sacrifice and repentance. When done with that she lights sage and waves it over the body several times. At last, she lights the fire underneath. The pyre and body start to burn.

The pyre is also made up of sweet pine and sage to cover up the smell of the burning body. When done the two priestesses take small spades and put as much ash within the urn as it will take. Sango seals it and offers it to Drasta. Drasta bows to them watching what has unfolded and takes it with respect.

Sango gently gives it to you and bows. "May blessings be upon your house and clan Barasume."

Drasta bows, “You have my thanks. May peace be with you always.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

When Sei and Drasta come back to the inn there is quite the scene. Nearly 30 samurai are at the front door in what looks like their best armor. 10 of them hold Shinto flags. Hideo, Samo, and Kenshin are speaking with them. Mika is behind and she is not happy; neither is Samo.

Sei frowns at the scene, then heads over to Mika "Mind filling me in on what this round of trouble is?"
Drasta approaches holding the urn in her hands looking to them curiously.

The head samurai claps his hands. "These must be the other two you spoke about being in your party........ Young lord Barasume. Now that we are all gathered, and you look well rested I might add. We the Shinto will escort you to court so you bear..........No more troubles on the road."

Sei just nods softly to this. Mika motions Drasta over. She heads to Mika with a nod.

Hideo asks "Have you provided horses. Unfortunately, during our stay. Our horses were stolen." A few of the Shinto samurai smirk over that.

Mika takes the urn from Drasta and whispers. "Always to my right and a half behind now." She steps in place quickly.

The lead samurai laughs openly, "Of course and You will note that Shinto has the finest of horses. Perhaps you will peruse our horse village to pick up one of your own. The Daimyo's brother breeds only the very best of both war horses and racers in all of Kozakura."

Hideo's eyes light up, "That's so...." Then he remembers himself. "Of course. If diplomacy can be achieved and we have time." Again, some of the samurai smirk at Hideo."

The Shinto bring 5 horses. They are bigger and look stronger than most horses you have ever seen here in Kozakura. They don’t match up to Percherons or other western breeds but for Kozakurian breeds these are fine specimens.

Drasta has only seen one horse like this one. His name was Pickles.

The party mounts up and the 30 samurai escort the group over two days. to the daimyo's palace. You have no encounters along the way. You are each given your own room to rest in. "Shinto are an old clan and highly respected for keeping neutrality when they can between shoguns. so have a bit of wealth to them even if a smaller family." In the morning you all gather for court.

As the Diplomatic party goes to court, Hideo and Sei walk beside each other with the two samurai flanking them Mika is next with Drasta to the right and a half step behind.

Lord Shinto is seated on a throne there are three women off to his right. (his wives.) and a group of adults and youth to his left. (his children)

Hideo walks up to the proper distance and bows. "Lord Shinto, Lord Barasume the lesser come to have council with your lordship."

Lord Shinto is in his 60s and seems old and somewhat frail now. He recognizes all of you. "Young lord Barasume. I am glad you have come. We seem to have a problem with one of your younger Daimyos."

Hideo looks to Sei for help. Sei looks to the older lord as if wanting him to continue.

Hideo says, "Lord Shinto please continue. Ummm Shogun Barasume has sent me here to help with a dispute. I would like to hear your grievances." He then looks to Sei questioningly.

Sei murmurs to Hideo "I would hear the elder Lord's case out first before jumping to any judgements."

staying in place Drasta keeps her eyes and ears on the room carefully watching for any threats.

Hideo whispers to Sei, “Did I say it right?”

Sei murmurs back with a small nod. “I reckon, so.”

The lord watching Hideo raises an eyebrow as he whispers to Sei. Then he stands, “Young lord. Your father’s vassal Lord Natari seems to have organized lawless Ronin and bandits against us. They have stolen cattle and horses. We even have proof that we have spied on stolen stock at the markets on Natari lands.? The question I have for you is. What are you going to do about this.?"

Hideo looks to Sei again but Lord Shinto interrupts, "Lord Barasume. I understand youthful indecision perhaps have your advisor speak for you. You seem to trust him. This way you may take in our words and learn. Your name, peasant?"

Hideo again looks to Sei. Sei bows deeply "I am Sei. And... this seems to have grown serious already, with both sides accusing each other of organized banditry at this point."

"Accusing me of banditry! How dare that young impertinent border lord I have done no such thing? He uses words to cloud other's minds. I know full well he is ambitious beyond his bounds! What is your position in Shogun Barasume's court?"

"When did the first raids on your land start, Lord Shinto?" Sei asks politely.

"They started about 2 months ago. We are bleeding livestock almost every few days now."

Sei stands there for a while, then looks at him square in the eye "I ask that you merely focus on what you can control, namely your own hinterlands. We will return to our lands and address the raids coming from our territory internally with Daimyo Natari. That said, if you find yourself needing more forces to address those bent on dishonoring your land and court with their lawless ways, we can pledge those skilled in the ways of that area from Daimyo Natari's lands to aid your men in such a task. You merely have to send word." He then gives the lord a deep and diplomatic bow "Is there anything else you wish to address with us while we are here?"

As Sei responds. The doors in the back of the court slam open and knock against the wall. That old, retired samurai marches in with a column of 10 retainer samurai obviously some form of unit. They all wear Shinto mons, and most are wounded. The last pair are escorting Etsuko and Suzu by their hand.

Sei does sigh lightly with relief at seeing them alive at least.

When the two girls see Hideo, they break away and run to him. Lord Shinto perturbed yells "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!?"

The girls are filthy and obviously misused. The Old samurai and his squad march up beside you. The old man bows bandages on his head arms and most likely under his garb, He bows, "Lord Shinto, Brother. When I heard of a train being attacked by Oni I and my men went to investigate. We found a tribe of Oni and found these. They say they are concubines of the Barasume clan. I brought them straight away. and One of his men bring a pillow on it is the Oni that stopped your party on the road.

looks to Sei.

The old samurai smiles and looks the group over. "Ah a diplomatic party of Shogun Barasume. How quaint. What wonderful protection." He continues. The Shogun seems to not think much of the Shinto clan. Two elder samurai and a few girls playing soldier. I told you, brother. Women playing soldier. It only means trouble for those they protect. The only way to make a woman a true warrior is to beat the silly sentimentalities out of them; otherwise, they are useless. If these two had honor, they would throw themselves on their kaikens now."

The lord looks angerly to the old samurai, "That is enough, brother. Take your place. You will be rewarded for your efforts of saving the young lords women. The samurai move to the side and into the crowd watching and the old samurai walks up to the front row and turns to Lord Shinto after a bow. The lord does not recognize the old samurai.

Mika curses under her breath, "Sadao Shinto, You bastard."

Drasta looks at Mika. She whispers, “She whispers That bastard is the ambassador's father.”

Lord Shinto looks to his brother and then looks to Sei. "I demand reparations for stolen livestock that can be proven on Natari lands. I also demand an apology from Lord Natari." Sei hears Drasta but doesn’t make anything from it.

Sei looks to Lord Shinto "I can arrange for settlement of the matter of stolen livestock between both parties. That said, apologies are of no use in controlling a hinterland. I have offered to pledge knowledgeable rangers and lands folk to aid you in that work. Is that not more than you ask for?"

Lord Shinto is silent while he thinks for a few moments. "It is fair retribution. I thank you for your wisdom and understanding. When may I expect these forester peacekeepers?"

"They will be preparing through the fall into winter. You only have to send word to have them join your forces in putting down this banditry once and for all."

The whole time Sadao the old samurai is focused on Drasta. Her every expression. Drasta does her best to hold herself calm and collected given the situation.

Lord Shinto, "Nods Agreed. I am glad we have come to a conclusion on this matter."
"You all shall be my guests this night and the following if you wish."

Sei responds, “That said, there is no wisdom in letting what may very well have started as some sort of personal insult or affront spiral into a matter that imperiled the lives of many people who had naught to do with any of the courtly politics involved and is requiring high level diplomacy to resolve. Perhaps it would be best for those who are most closely connected to the matter to resolve it personally over the following days?"

Lord Shinto looks about the court. "I want all but my first wife Juno and our guest to leave this court now. I wish to speak with them alone."

Sei looks to Lord Shinto as to which guest the lord wishes to stay.

Everyone leaves the courtroom except an older woman that stands and goes to his side.
Both come down to your level. Juno is the one who speaks. "You and your group may speak freely now."
Drasta looks at Mika unsure if she should bow or not. Mika shakes her head.

Lord Shinto asks, "I hear you clearly. What is the real problem?"

Sei nods to this "I have very good reason to believe the elder Shinto's men are trying to humiliate Barasume while Miwa is away, out of the elder seeing her ability as a fighter, and her recruiting an outsider to aid her in watching over matters of courtly sensibility, as an affront to what he sees as the natural order of things." motions to Drasta, his tone diplomatic yet matter-of-fact "I noticed the presence of some of the elder Shinto's men in multiple incidents surrounding Miwa's chosen assistant on our journey down here. Him arranging for the Oni attack...under the table, if you will, is not out of the question, as well."

Lord Shinto winces and looks at his wife. She nods to him. That could not be the reason. My brother Sadao loved all his daughters in his own twisted way. He considers the ambassador his greatest achievement and his protege. More likely this outsider being a woman he feels to prove she is unworthy of protecting his daughter. I know my brother he is a twisted and methodical man. Our own Shogun almost had his head several times for his indiscretions. That being said, I am at my limits with him.”

"That is also a fair hypothesis" Sei nods "Either way, whether the target is the cat while she is away or the cat's chosen companion, I do not think that changes the discussion from here" nodding to Lord Shinto.

Sadaos wife died in childbirth, and he never had a son. So, he made one his way. Of his four daughters the eldest is now a dept slave. The second runs his household. There are rumors. serious rumors. She looks almost exactly like her mother. The third he beat all the emotion out of to make himself a killing machine. and the fourth Sango is a priestess. He looks at Drasta straight in the eye. “Pull your hood off girl let me see you.”

Drasta sighs a bit meeting his gaze and pulls her hood back to her shoulders. “As you wish.”

"What do they call you? elf? Tell me, what do you know of my brother?"

“My name is Drasta...Of your brother I know most of what Lady Miwa has told me of her being raised by him.”

"And what did the ambassador say about her father?" He looks at Sei. “I must know so as to negate any dishonor or smear against the Shinto name."

“She has told me of how he pushed her in training in her life and the treatment of her. She has shown me the damage of her training through my study of her both physical and of the mind. His harsh training methods may have killed one any weaker than herself. His methods seemed slightly barbaric in my mind...Training should not involve nearly killing a child, but that is not my place to judge I do not truly know how a samurai is normally trained.”

"It is not the way to train a samurai. What he did to her......is a travesty. If I had known before her trials, I would have stopped it myself." He then grunts thinking. "I must step away with Juno for a few moments stay here. They step far from earshot and whisper to each other. After they finish Juno leaves the courtroom and Lord Shinto comes back.

He looks to Sei and then to Hideo. "There will be conditions. Do you understand?" He waits patiently.

Sei nods.

"I give you sanction to extract justice on these conditions. Haruki is not to be harmed. She is a meek creature afraid of her own shadow and most likely long spoiled by her own father. Bring her hear. I and my court will find a place for her. 2nd, you have five days starting the day after tomorrow. If justice is not extracted, then you have failed. 3rd, you cannot officially be seen. I will provide a map. If you are seen, I must act in my clan's best interest. Being that you have 5 days there are many, many in my realm that hate my brother. You may quietly seek allies in this endeavor but be careful some may fool you send intel, and I must protect my clan's best interest. Do you all understand?"

Sei looks to Drasta as if saying, ‘This one’s on you.’

Drasta sighs at Sei. This will be difficult then.

Lord Shinto narrows his eyes and focuses on Drasta, "Nothing worthy is easy."

Hideo looks a bit mystified and has no idea what is going on.

Drasta responds to Shinto. “I would agree with you on that.” Looks to Mika, “Do you have thoughts on this?

Mika shakes her head, “We are greatly dishonored already. News of our trials and failures is most likely speeding through the many courts of Kozakura. It would be a way towards redemption in the Shoguns eyes when we must face him in court. Also, Sadao is a threat to your Matron whether she knows it or not. and a good test of your worthiness to be besshikime. I say yes."

Drasta’s eyes look directly to Shinto. “And how does this affect her if it is done.”

“It doesn't if information is strictly controlled, and no one knows who wielded the spear of justice. If you are caught. That my young woman is another matter.”

She nods, looking to the others for any input.

Hideo wakes up finally, "Ummm I don't know about this?"

Lord Shinto looks at him hard. "It is not a thing for cowards, young lord Barasume."

Hideo puffs out his chest, " I'm in!"

Drasta chuckles. Sei considers, “"I think this is a good opportunity, yes. I also think that I may have to dedicate myself to keeping a handle on Hideo here, lest his loose lips sink our ship."

"What’s that supposed to mean falconer!? I can keep quiet like a ninja!"

Lord Shinto sighs and mumbles something about teenagers.

"What is needed isn't the silence of the hunter padding in the night, but the guile of the kitsune he seeks."

A silent step can still make a noise even if you do not hear it.

a motion to Drasta "She speaks wisely."

The Daimyo awaits your answer.

Drasta nods to him, “Agreed.”

He sends everyone back to their rooms. The group will spend the day there.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

On the southwestern coast of Kozakura just south of the Talibohanto peninsula and midway between the cities of Sadaiko and Masakado lies a sea cave complex unknown except for a few stranded sailors. There is only one entrance that is completely covered during high tide. At low tide there is just enough showing for a man to swim into it. at the top of the entrance.

Within this complex lives a living god of the 8 million and her servants. Her name is Ibexis’czar. She is a spirit dragon that has been sleeping for some 400 years. She is massive and ancient. Her 140 ft length coils about itself in the main chamber upon a pile of treasure both magical and mundane. Those who serve her cannot remember the last time she opened her eyes; it has been generations. Still The small tribe of kobolds defend and tend to her as loving children would.

One night there is a great storm as a typhoon dragon attacks a fishing fleet from Masakado. The water at the entrance begins to rise. The shaman does everything he can to lower it but it starts to fill up several chambers and closes in on the main. As the water touches the dragon Ibexis’czar opens her eyes. She spells the water back from her servants proclaiming curses against the nearest known typhoon dragon. Afterward the shaman speaks to her for over an hour. He comes back from the meeting and the tribe, as a whole, begins to tend to her for her aged awakening.

Among them is Khzuro a young arcane trickster Just at the age to start his duties. He catches the dragon’s eye. She tells the shaman the next morning to send for the young kobold who as a dedicated member of the tribe obeyed the shamans will without question.

Khzuro walks into the dragon’s chamber. She is alone. He approaches and takes a kneeling position and bowing his head in respect and worship. She brings her giant snot down and takes a whiff of him. “I smell magic about you. What is your name small one?”

He looks up, “This one is Khzuro. This one is honored to be called here. What do you wish of this one?”

“The tribe seems to have evolved significantly since last I woke. Are you a smart on, Khzuro?”

The kobold blinks, “We have done our best to tend to your needs and uphold your traditions, honored one. As for this one… He thinks so? Has nothing on your grace or wisdom for sure.”

“Do you think that you could walk in the realms of the humans that live above and come back? Are you smart enough and quick enough to do this without dying by their swords?”

“This one can do so, if needed. The tribe has, as you have instructed, done what we can to not be noticed or interfere with the mammals without due direction. Do you wish this one to do so?”

“You must think about this. I can find another. It is a grand test and achievement to come back and tell me of the world in the here and now. Are you sure you can do this?”

“This one can do this. Is there anything in particular you wish this one to look for, or do while observing the lands of mammals?” (Khzuro thinks in hindsight that this would probably prove to be a very, very poor decision.)

The dragon’s head gets closer so she may see him better. Her eye peers directly into his holding him paralyzed. “Yes, there is. You see the world above is ever changing and one of my missions to the higher gods, the gods I do bidding for is to know the lands of men. I am to know their clans and territories. Then after I know this if the high gods say I must do something I must make myself look like the humans and go to their god called emperor. I am to advise him on what the higher gods have need of.

If I am to know the clans of men while saving my strength here and make ready to wander, I must send one of the tribe out to show me what the lands are like, how they have changed and who rules the territories of the humans and their tribes.

I wish to send you to do this for me. You will be my eyes until I am ready to wander myself. Do you understand?”

“This one understands. This one shall scout abroad and make note of all they find.”

“It will take me a year, maybe 2 to be fully ready. Once you have learned all of this then come back between 1 and 2 years and tell me all that you have seen.”

“As the great one commands, so it shall be done.”

She turns her great body and with her snout digs through her horde. She picks out three books and..... a ring. She takes them gently in her mouth and drops them in front of Khzuro. "These books, the first is on the law of the leaders of the human clans. It is called bushido learn it. It will save your life if you listen to the words; for the men that walk the land are a hard people and are easily provoked into killing. The second is on their gods and who they worship. There are 8 million of them. This book covers the major gods. The third is on the celestial emperor and heavens. The other gods they often worship. know these gods and ways too. With these books you will be somewhat protected. Not by the gods but with knowledge of how these humans think.
This ring is called the ring of nobility. It is worn by those that cannot speak the noble language which I never taught the tribe. Wear it and you will be able to speak with their leaders in their hatchling language."

He nods, then takes the ring and books. “This one shall take care of the ring and study the books well before departure. Should this on leave the books here before heading out?”

“You may take them with you. You will need them on your journey.”

“As the great one wishes.” Khzuro bows his head.

Khzuro goes to his hut made of driftwood and straw. He packs his provisions in watertight wrappings. He then studies and does some other preparations. He gets his dragon magic enhanced crossbows, one that shoots positive energy bolts the other negative energy. Only one of the tribe can use them. He also takes many notebooks and old maps with him. (He thinks to himself, ‘I will avoid harming people with them. My mission is to observe, not to kill.”

He thinks again and goes back to the dragon. After bowing deeply he asks, “Does the great one wish this one to be open with the mammals about his mission? Or should this be kept within the tribe?”

“Keep it a secret. It is not for humans to know the missions of those who server the high gods.”

“As the great one commands.”
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Khzuro swims out of the cave mouth after double checking all his provisions. It’s low tide so the top of the cave opening is not completely underwater. He easily swims to shore. As he feels the sand on his toes, he looks around finding a small fleet of fishing vessels battered and broken on the shore. Some have large bites taken out of them. It looks like the work of an angry typhoon dragon.

He makes note of the damage but keeps a distance. Khzuro then looks up at the stars in the sky. Its deep night at low tide. The beach spans 200 meters deep. He thinks most humans are asleep being they do not have dark vision like a kobold. The beach stretches to the horizon in twists and turns in going north and south. He seems to be alone except for the wreckage and dead fisherman that the crabs now feast upon. He decides to take a closer look at the wreckage and the dead men surrounding him. He does notice there is a dirt road on a hill above. The road is cut out of the hills and there is a path up to it at the end of the beach.

As he walks among the dead, crabs and gulls pick at the bodies. One body is completely covered with crabs: A banquet for the ages for the small creatures. Among the wrecks he can see tattered banners. They all depict a symbol, but they are shredded so badly he has to put them all together in his mind. When he does, he sees a symbol of a clam shell within a circle. He takes note of it. He thinks to himself (Wrath of the Typhoon dragon was terrible indeed. Kobolds respected all dragons. the humans probably did something to deserve it.) He begins to move away from the scene.

As he starts to walk away from the scene near a torn off mast, he sees movement but is not able to react. Something like rough fabric suddenly covers him completely and he feels himself being lifted from the ground. He hears someone speaking Kozakurian. “We got the little spirit!”

“What is it dad?”

“I think it’s a kami! A little one. It must be worth something to someone.”

“Does it grant wishes?”

“Ummm it might. Looks to small though. Tell you what, I’ll open the bag and you rub its head and make a wish but quick! We can’t let it escape.”

The bag opens slightly and Khzuro sees a small hand come down trying to rub his head. Khzuro thinks, (Well, this is not taking a good turn. My mistress told me to not get detected and I got detected and captured. Maybe there’s a way out of these binds though?” Khzuro unsheathes his dagger and easily tears through the bottom of the burlap sack. He runs while looking back to see a large man about 5ft 10in and a boy of about 12.

The boy starts to cry, “I didn’t get my wish!” the man chases after him He has no weapon only the sack. Khzuro sheathes his weapon and runs. He’s not out to hurt or threaten them.

The man runs quickly and jumps on the small kobold catching him by the foot, saying, “BOY! GET THE ROPE!”

Khzuro squirms out of the hold and again runs for it. They start to run after him, but he has a head start while the boy fumbles for the rope. Khzuro looks for cover. There is a lot of debris along the beach. The hill to the road has a path going up but there are cliffs on either side 15 meters high.

Khzuro heads for a ship with a bite taken out of it. It’s a 45 ft fishing troller. He goes around it then inside finding a mast that has speared the haul. He hides beside it keeping his breath low.

The man and the boy look for him. They even call out, “Come here Kami. We only want to rub your head.” After 2 hours they give up and walk up the path with a story to tell their family. The kobold is left alone on the beach.

After a short say to make sure his would be captors are gone, he stands and walks to the edge of the hole peeking around at the beach. He lets out a breath, “Well that was noteworthy.”

He heads to the cliffs and the path. Taking it, he finds along the hill a dirt road wide enough for two people on horses' side by side but no more. He looks north to find only night. He looks southeast. There is a slight orange glow in the distance. It is most likely a village or town.

Khzuro thinks, (Might as well head southeast. Odds are at this hour there won’t be much conversation to listen in on, but maybe there will be interesting things to take note of.) He starts walking down the road. At about 2:30 in the morning he sees 8 men coming up the road toward him. He ducks into the bushes hoping the men have not spotted him yet.

The men walk right past him at first. They talk softly amongst themselves, but Khzuro cannot hear what they are saying except just as they get out of hearing range someone mentions a market deal.

Suddenly one stops and looks around. He follows the path the opposite way some then turns and walks the other way. His buddies follow him. They seem to be searching the area. The one that seems to be the leader draws out a small slightly curved sword. “I can’t see you. Good play. Come out now and no harm will come to you.”

Khzuro thinks, (Best avoid the patrol, I’m not supposed to harm them either. Market deal sounds interesting, but for now.) He tries to silently slip away from them.

As he does one of them points to where Khzuro is moving. The men try to flank and pin him along the side of the road. Khzuro tries to run away, he’s not sure he can take on one, much less all eight. He makes a run for it.

The men give chase. Two of them bring out unusual tools. They look like long chains with lead weights on the ends and they are on the kobold’s heels. Khzuro finds himself running with a hilly cliff on his left and a hell to his right cut out for the road. The ledge is about 15 feet then grades up at about 20 degrees. He keeps running down the road.

The two men with the chains throw them at the small creature. One catches Khzuro around his torso and pulls him down. He is not hurt but he’s flat on the ground. They easily catch up to him now. A wiry man crouches down. “That was a mistake. You should stop where there’s a group, but I mean no harm. What are you if you speak my language? The man speaks in low shou.

Khzuro looks at the strange device that caught him. (Too many to escape from, now.) He looks to the man who spoke. “This one can speak your language, yes.” (Planned to read the books when they made camp alone. Now he's really wishing he'd read them first.) “Other humans called this one Kami. Wanted to rub head for wishes. Can’t grant wishes am afraid. Am kobold, distant children of dragon kind.”

He hears one of the men say, “Ah shucks! He’s not Kami!”

The wiry leader states, “stow it.” He focuses on Khzuro. “I’ll tell you what. We are about to make camp for the night. You will be our honored guest. You could even have some of our rations and wind. Get a good night’s sleep. What do you say, Ummm kobold?”

“That… sss, would be honored. This one is Khzuro.”

“Khzuro then.” The men release him and lead him about 2 miles north to a saddle in the hills. There they set up camp. There’s a fire, even though it is very warm. Some take off their shirts. Khzuro notices all that do have their backs and chests covered in colorful tattoos. Two of them have dragons swirling around their bodies. One has a great eagle on his back. Two have carp tattoos.

As Khzuro eats, drinks, and talks with them, they avoid asking him anything like he is a member of their group. They do not push him for a story. As the early morning wears on Khzuro becomes drowsy and passes out.

In the late morning as Khzuro wakes up the group is going into a small city. He finds himself locked in a bamboo cage and two of them are carrying him. (I wonder if I should have just let the initial two humans pet me.)

They go to the gate. The guard questions the leader. He explains that he is a merchant of rate creatures and has hunted a kobold down to sell as a pet for a samurai or noble. Khzuro thinks (Not ideal) He listens closely to what they are saying. He can escape later after finding out what needs to be found out. He checks himself out. He has his clothes, but his weapons, ring and books are all gone. He frowns.

They take him to a very large house. The leader presents Khzuro to another man in fancy robes. They speak of him and what price he might bring along with the items. The other man says he thinks he knows a samurai that would be interested. His daughter’s birthday is coming up and this samurai will work with us under the sly.

Khzuro is put into a dark room. A woman comes to feed, give him water and clean up after him. She rubs his head often. He purrs happily with the affection and enjoys the head pats that come with this and eagerly seeks it out. All the while he thinks (I must endure the head pats, don't object, visibly, but keep an eye on their demeanor, occasionally yipping in response.)

After a few days he is taken out and put on a large table with all his items. He decides to hold his position. It is too risky to attempt escape and besides he might be able to gather more information on the inside for now. This new merchant is there, and an old man comes into the room. He looks to be in his late 50s early 60s. He bows to the merchant which recognizes him. “Greetings Sadao. I have a prize for you. I heard you were looking for something for your daughter. I have a true Kami here. For the right price of course.”

(Not going to correct them since it would lead to less hugs and head pats. Just act as cute as possible.
Probably best to let them think I'm a Kami. Already told the mammals correct once. Didn't work out. Will stay here for now.)

“And greetings to you Hisao. I wish to thank you for your involvement disgracing that elven woman. She will never protect my daughter once she goes back to shogun Barasume, and he deals with her. We have proven her incompetence." Khzuro listens to the dialog.

"Yes, a job well done, and you paid handsomely."

The old samurai smiles. “It was good work.” The old man has several swords on a harness along with a dagger but is in a male’s kimono. “So, what do we have, Hisao?”

“It’s a small kami. It hasn’t threatened anyone and can speak low shou. A perfect pet for your daughter. I also have that herb she needs.”

“What is this other stuff?”

"What we found on him. Books you can get anywhere, two small daggers non magical. These crossbows are magic, but none can seem to use them or even trigger them. We are not sure. A cloak, ring, amulet. It’s the whole package or nothing I’m afraid."

The old man inspects the items then you. "You say it is harmless, yet it has weapons?"

"Nothing a samurai of note cannot deal with especially the great Tora of the Shinto clan."

"I worry for my daughter’s welfare. She is.......special as you know."

These items are too little for my clan to pawn off. its coppers compared to our business. You can keep them locked up and hidden of you like of sell them off yourself.”

The old man frowns, "You say its Kami. Does it give wishes?"

(Note to self, learn the wish spell.)

"So far no wishes have come true. It may be too young or too small or perhaps the myths are not true."
"It won't grow to a giant, will it?"

"I think it’s full grown. it gets aroused in its sleep."

"Ummm how much are you looking for?"

“25,000 Ryo”

“25,000! That’s 3 of my best horses! I’ll give you……….15.”

(Aw it would be nice if they just gave it for a hug Feels a little like he wants the price to be as high as possible.)

"Lord Shinto! I thought you were a man of wealth and reputation. surely you can do better than that. It is a kami. How many lords can say they own a kami This is truly worth at least 3 of your midland studs. 22,000”
"I don't know? it’s very small. It might also escape. 17,000.”

Hisao looks at him dead in the eye, "None of your daughters did escape their fate. The path you set for them."

The old man stares back at Hisao. "Is that a threat?"

"No, no. You misunderstand. I’m just looking for the best deal. 20,000.”

the old samurai looks angry now. His had moves to a large sword to his side then backs away from it. The leader notes it perhaps he pushed the old man too far. Suddenly the old man smiles. “I'll take it and the gear for 20. I may get a good price to the right person for the gear. those crossbows would be a wu-jen’s fantasy to study. alright.”

They bow to each other and the old samurai leaves. Khzuro gets put back into his cage then he it is placed onto a wagon.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Khzuro rides in the back of the wagon on a long journey of several days. When the old man finally stops, they are on top of a hill that rises up to the north and down to the south. The old man sets him in the back yard of the house. The house itself is one story with three main sections. Down the hill along the road are two large barns. There are about 30 horses grazing around the fields below with fences across both sides of the road.

Khzuro makes a mental map of where he is thinking, (Seems these mammals are lax about not letting me oversee or overhear things. Could be useful as long as I remain a good captive, for now…) He catches sight of a pole in the back yard. Manacles hang down from it, upon the ground is something black ringing the pole for about 20ft. No grass grows there. He studies the pole and the ring of black on the ground but cannot make out what it is or what it is used for. He makes a mental note of it for later. It may be important.

An attendant takes all Khzuro’s things out of the wagon and into the house. He comes back after an hour and takes the cage into the home and into a large room. There is a bed in here. The walls unusually are not made of rice paper. They are covered in paintings of flowers and horses in a field. There are games and other things here. The manservant covers the cage.

Late in the afternoon Khzuro hears footsteps. He hears the old samurai’s voice. “Daughter it is your birthday. You have done well this year. You haven’t even tried to leave; therefore, I present you with this gift. If it bites you or harms you in anyway let me know and I will deal with the creature.”

Khzuro thinks, (I can still listen while they keep my cage covered, so I might as well keep alert and listen.) The old samurai continues. “I expect you in bed tonight for your other birthday present.” He hears the heavier footsteps leave the room and the door sliding closed.

Someone takes the cover off his cage. It’s an extremely beautiful woman of 27 or 30. Her face is painted. Her teeth are blackened, and she’s in an 11 layered kimono of a noblewoman. Even though she is beautiful the lines in her face show she has had a very sad life. She stares at the little kobold mystified.

He looks up at her with a beady eyed adorable expression of a lonely creature that only wants to get hugs, head pats and snuggles. He takes note of her painted face and tries to compare it to the tattooed men he saw before. (Seems like a mammal who lives in luxury but is still sad. Keep an eye out, might be more going on here.) He decides it is nothing like the men he met. He edges closer to the cage and takes a few sniffs. He smells lead, dyes along with perfume.

She reaches out timidly and tries to rub Khzuro’s head. He eagerly accepts and starts to purr when she strokes it. (Might as well let her for now, making an enemy of her won’t work to my advantage.) “I wish mother was alive. Then I would not be living this nightmare. Daddy would be good again.” When nothing happens, she sighs, “You can speak?”

Khzuro feels a tinge of regret that he cannot grant that wish, He shows a notable frown, almost regretful. “This one can speak, yes.” (He doesn’t know how to break the news to her that the wish won’t come true.)
“You’re like a little lizard kami. My name is Haruki. I run the house when daddy is away. I must warn you, don’t try to escape. He’ll hurt you. He’ll hurt you really badly. He always finds me when I run away.”

“This one is Khzuro. This one appreciates the warning. Can tell you don’t like it here. Like prison made of gems and gold. Means little without meaning.”

She nods looking around, “It is my prison. I am his pretty bird. If I didn’t look so much like mother…. She died. I am her replacement. What do you eat? Drink?”

He makes a slow nod. “I see. Then… perhaps this one should ask you. He knows you wished for your mother to be alive again. But, in your heart, is that because you wish to be with her again? Or do you wish to be out of this place more? Oh um, this one drinks water and um. Food? Edible things?”

“I have never been able to escape, at least more than a few days. I did have a chance. My sister is a great warrior. She wanted to kill him. There's a pole out back with a ring of blood around it. Most of it is hers, some of it is mine. It’s how he trained her. I stopped her. She would have been put to death for killing her father, and family is important. I didn’t want her to sacrifice herself for me. I stopped her.”

He frowns but keeps listening.

“Now the pole is how he trains me when I go against his wishes. So, I stay. There is no hope for me. I sacrificed myself for my sisters, and now you are here. I am sorry.”

“I see.” Despite the circumstances, Khzuro seems almost too calm. “Is… something like this normal? Would think that such goes against the way of Bushido?”

“No, it is not. My father was a good samurai once. Regarded as one of the best before mother died. She died having Sango my youngest sister. When that happened, he changed. If others knew what he has done he would be crucified or boiled to death.”

Khzuro thinks about all that they have said. One thing he notes. It’s obvious her education was purposely stunted. A noblewoman of this age should not be talking or showing feelings like this. Even in his sheltered life there are myths and stories of the humans and contact as the tribe tended to the dragon. He is not completely ignorant of the outside world. She catches his attention as he thinks these things.

“If I release you, will you stay with me? I’ll make sure you are out of his way and his troubles.”

He sighs, frowning, considering the circumstances. (I wonder if they really would, or if humans don’t follow their codes very well. That’s also something the tribe says.) “ssk, I’ll stick around. Like you said, if I try to escape, he’ll find me. But it also sounds like you might have hinted you’d want others to know if they care. Do you know who outside would care?”

She shakes her head. “I think my uncle knows. The high lord of this area but he does nothing.”

“Is a shame. Who else is around that might want to know? Or know?” (Good to know the political landscape too.)

“Family is too important. It would be a shame if it got out into the open, and we are related now to many lords for many days walk so nothing is done.”

“I see. Tribe comes first.” He considers (But a tribe member who continually damages the tribe is cast out. Mammals must be different. Makes for a mess. Seems like they really do fail to live up to their codes and standards as much as the tribe says they do.)

“Thank you.” She releases Khzuro but tells him to stay in the room for now. After a week she lets him stroll around the home with her.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Khzuro has free reign of the home for another week. He observes the old samurai and his daughter. The old man gets many visitors. They are mostly samurai but there are also a good number of Onna-bugeisha too. Most are looking to buy horses. There is also one older nobleman administrator that comes looking to purchase racers for his family.

The kobold doesn’t overstep but does listen closely and takes notes of what he can overhear. Haruki always plays the dutiful daughter that dotes on her father until the guests leave. As long as Sadao is happy he pays her little heed to her other duties but seems to be always watching carefully.

Khzuro picks up on many conversations. The first of which is a meeting between Sadao and a nobleman from Chimotage. In the course of the conversation, he buys three racers from the family. The nobleman is interested in one of his daughters. Sadao puffs out his chest and says that she is in the Barasume family and has an imperial appointment as an ambassador though she is currently banished from Kozakura. They also discuss Barasume’s old clan Iwari which is south Barasume.

He picks up on another the next day. An Onna-bugiesha comes and buys 6 warhorses from Sadao. She’s the current commander of the Irwari calvalry. The two seem to know each other and are cordial. She speaks of the lands south and west of her shogun’s lands, Clan Myramata. They seem to be getting continually more aggressive toward clan Iwari now that Barasume has conquered all the city of Renkyu and surrounding lands, breaking off from their clan.

Two days later a samurai from Myamata comes to purchase a war horse for a new apprentice. This one is more guarded. They get into a conversation about clan Natari on the western side of Barasume lands and borders the Shinto clan itself. Sadao says that there were some incidents, but he believes they will die down now. It seems however was the instigator has decided not to pursue Shinto and Natari going to war with one another. The samurai seems suspicious of the information. Sadao smiles and tells him he knows what he is talking about.

The very same day in the late afternoon an Onna-bugeisha from clan Dosaki comes looking for her commander and asks Sadao if she stopped by his place. When Sadao hears the name of the Commander, Reiko Endo, he becomes incensed and tells the female samurai to leave his lands. She retorts that the past is the past and he needs to grow up. Sadao almost unsheathes his sword on her but thinks better of it: He, being in his late 50s-60s and she, being in her late 20s. She parts with no information.

Two days later a Samurai from Barasume comes to buy two racers for him and his wife. Sadao pays him much respect. He asks about the shogun and his health and if there are many up and coming unmarried samurai in the clan. The samurai ignores that question. He does speak about a god in the eastern part of Barasume lands that has become enraged and is eating people on his lake. He also says a team has been sent to deal with the situation but has another obligation first to attend too. Sadao asks if it is the lord’s sone that leads the team. The samurai just smiles and says the situation will be taken care of soon.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Sei and company stand outside in the courtyard of the Shinto castle. They have a map to Sadao’s residence in Shinto lands. It takes them off the beaten path along the hollows and fields. He studies it intently. “I reckon we should wait until night… probably best Hideo stays back at court too. Along with our remaining guard. Drasta will lead the trip out, with me and perhaps Mika following.”

Drasta nods, “I agree night is the best time to move.”

Hideo looks incensed, “What is the meaning of this? I should go too; besides I have Samo and Kenshin here to protect me. It’s my first chance for battle. My father will be proud!”

Samo looks over the boy. “If you had listened to your teachers maybe they would consider you, but I agree with them. You are… how should I say it… Not ready for combat.”

Sei looks up from his notes. “This is not the combat you are thinking it will be, either.”

Hideo goes red faced. “I can scout look out for everyone! I am not useless!”

Sei answers, “We need scouts who can flow with the land and waters for this trip… A flow I have yet to see from you, Hideo. You will get your chances to prove yourself, do not worry.”

Hideo grabs at his ceremonial katana but Samo quickly grabs his wrist before he can draw and easily forces it back in. “My lord, it is my job to protect you. You are not ready. Show some aptitude in practice and then you may participate, until then you must wait. You will only hamper our efforts and be a danger to all your own allies at this point. You are not even slightly ready for your trials.

Stick to your words. That’s what you are good at.”

Hideo still keeps trying to draw. Samo says, “Stand down my lord or I’ll break it.” meaning his wrist. Mika stands stoically silent. Drasta leans against the wall behind her thinking.

Sei looks up again from the map. “Stand down. You have seen what can happen when I am pressed in a fight.”

Hideo looks at everyone, “Fine but my father is going to know about this. I’ll stay with my girls.”

Drasta nods to him. “You are safer this way… I would not want to bring your father a corpse.” Hideo stomps off into the palace.

Samo sighs, “Now that the children have left are we ready?”

Drasta comments, “The contract has been agreed upon. We cannot go back.” She shifts her waistband, so the blades are more hidden.

“Aye, and my answer to Kyo will be simple: The mission given wasn’t the trial Hideo sought.” Drasta bows her head and mutters a small prayer to Selune.

Samo mentions, “Someone should stay back and make sure Hideo is safe and doesn’t cause more of his own problems.”

Sei agrees, “I was thinking that’d be ye, unless you’d think it’d be better if it was me or Mika instead?”

Samo looks at his partner. Kenshin bows and retreats to the palace in the direction Hideo stomped off too.

Drasta comments, “We need to move as quiet as the wind if we are to stay unseen.”

Nodding to Drasta Sei affirms. “It may be best we travel on foot, or do ye think we can be stealthy enough whilst mounted to pull this off?”

Drasta looks to the other two, “That depends on these two.” Sei looks to Samo and Mika for their views on it.

Mika nods, “It’s almost impossible to be unseen on a horse. Only a skilled cavalryman would ever even attempt something like that. I don’t have the skill, nor do I think the rest of us do.”

Sei agrees and orders, “We travel on foot then.”

Drasta considers the decision. “Indeed, and I cannot keep all of us cloaked in shadow on horseback.”

Everyone packs up and waits until dusk.
CTP team member