New mountains tileset
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[quote=lord rosenkrantz;39076]Hehe, I see not everybody know the magnificient TNO exterior tileset released by DLA. I'll likely end up having bought Wyvern Crown of Cormyr just for the tilesets, as I can't seem to be able digging up time to play the adventure.

Castles are painted as terrains and crossers, so you can shape them following your needs and fashion. The screenshots I have posted were taken from a specific test area I quickly and roughly built in the toolset, but builders can obviously create more complex scenarios.

I am about to build the required tiles to join castles and mountain side, so that the integration will be complete.[/quote]

If you are working with the WCoC version of the TNO tiles, you may like to know that there are certain ... ahem ... undocumented features in CM3 that quietly fix some unusual bugs that are ... ahem ... not present in those tiles. :whistling

lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

[quote=OldMansBeard;39082]If you are working with the WCoC version of the TNO tiles, you may like to know that there are certain ... ahem ... undocumented features in CM3 that quietly fix some unusual bugs that are ... ahem ... not present in those tiles. :whistling[/quote]

:unsure:

I am using the WCoC tileset version as a source, and so far I have only encountered a few issues due to some animated window getting somewhat broken upon importing/exporting the tiles. No big deal anyway, I have already decided that standard animations for tile parts are usually not worth the headache, so I just remove those few animations and only use static meshes without losing anything of the visual impact.

But of course I am using CM3 (I always do), and those not present bugs were likely quietly (not) taken care of. Every time I work on someone else's tiles, first step is to run them through CM3, then fix all issues that prevent CM3 to do its work on some tiles, then to load them in 3dsmax and fix all walkmeshes to the point that NWMax doesn't complain anymore.
Then I can start working. I never actually encountered any of the bugs caused by the import/export operations, that Bannor has pointed out many times. In my experience though, it only takes one cycle of import/export on animated meshes to get all sort of misplacements.

Now you made me curious about those non-present bugs though... <_<

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=lord rosenkrantz;39083]:unsure:

I never actually encountered any of the bugs caused by the import/export operations, that Bannor has pointed out many times. In my experience though, it only takes one cycle of import/export on animated meshes to get all sort of misplacements.

Now you made me curious about those non-present bugs though... <_<[/quote]

Actually, what OMB is referring to is not correctly snapped vertices. CM3 cleans those right up. And it typically also cleans up other 'minor' creep issues, where a vertice slowly moves the more times it is exported and re-imported.

Animations being the most obvious of things that get broken. (It's actually too bad that you are removing those animations though, they almost make the set. There are animated windows, animated smoke from chimneys, etc, that make the set come alive!)
CTP Team Lead

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=Bannor Bloodfist;39086]Actually, what OMB is referring to is not correctly snapped vertices. CM3 cleans those right up. And it typically also cleans up other 'minor' creep issues, where a vertice slowly moves the more times it is exported and re-imported. Animations being the most obvious of things that get broken. [/quote]

Ahh, but then no worries, snapping vertices is my real perversion, when CM3 runs I watch the log window like it was a tv show. Now I also see better what you meant with the import/export bugs, which I didn't quite understand so far as I always try to round al vertices values (used to do it with NWMax, but now CM3 is a more effective tool)

[quote](It's actually too bad that you are removing those animations though, they almost make the set. There are animated windows, animated smoke from chimneys, etc, that make the set come alive!)[/quote]I think I gave the wrong impression, only seven among the 190+ tiles I have added had some sort of animations, and if I am not mistaken, all of them were the standard day/night cycle for windows, so I didn't really breakor remove anything major.
Other animations that are featured in the tileset, like for example the animated sea meshes, I wouldn't dare taking away, as they are simply beautiful O:)

However, once I am positive tiles don't risk any import/export anymore, I could find the time to add those few animations I removed, I just can't stand to see them broken while the work is in progress on hundreds of tiles at once. Some time ago, I guessed they were getting broken by some uncareful operations on pivots, then I thought it was the snap and weld functions, then the collapse function. They seem to still get broken even if I don't do any of the above, just importing them and then exporting them back do the trick.

Post by Guest »

Not sure if this is already planned, but I wondered if there could be doors in the cliffside(both for regular cliffside and where the wall meets the cliffside) to match the castle. Along whith this I would like to see paths/stairs along the cliff going up to where the wall & cliff meet. Also earlier in this topic it was mentioned making miniature towns in valies so that it looked like they were far below. I would like to also suggest making miniature castles, towns and paths on the cliffside so that it could look like there are towns high above.

Owrtho

Sherincall

Post by Sherincall »

Any updates? ;)

lord rosenkrantz

Rocky Mountains v10.1 [alpha release] is available for download on the vault.

Click here

Xaltu

Post by Xaltu »

WOW! and this is only the alpha version. Only had chance to have a quick play and it looks stunning and so far no problems found.

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

Looking great. :)

The demo mod runs fine on my puny old MX440 graphics card. (Provided I don't go silly and try to turn on grass. Grass is always a killer.)

Suggestion for the demo - give people a path up to the castle and a way up to the turrets - there's a great view from up there!

OMB

p.s. Thanks for the advert for CM3. :)

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=OldMansBeard;39633]Looking great. :)

The demo mod runs fine on my puny old MX440 graphics card. (Provided I don't go silly and try to turn on grass. Grass is always a killer.)[/quote]

Glad to hear that, an area with both TNO features and my buildings gets up to 100-150 Mb of textures loaded (accordingly to the area statistics in the toolset).
A shame you can't walk around with 3d grass on, it greatly adds to the visual impact

[quote]Suggestion for the demo - give people a path up to the castle and a way up to the turrets - there's a great view from up there! [/quote]Oh well, how shall I put it? I had planned to, but... I need to add some feature/group that allows that, at the moment there is no way to reach the mountain top :huh:
[quote]p.s. Thanks for the advert for CM3. :)[/quote]Don't ever mention it. Any tileset creator should be praising your work