Tiles in a tileset listed as a text file
Many tools have been made by community members or 3ds plug-ins made available on the net. Reference to those can be found here and how to use them.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Sharona Curves

Tiles in a tileset listed as a text file

Post by Sharona Curves »

is there a tool or something available that is able to look within a tileset .hak file and list the names of all tiles used in that .hak file to a text file for easy referencing?

lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

for easy referencing, you can just extract the .set file and open it with SetEditor every time you need to see what is in the tileset (tile names, textures, groups, rules, and all that stuff).
They are displayed in a list that you can order by tile position in the set, or alphabetically. It's very handy and I think it should work for what you are looking for

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Sharona Curves;8144]is there a tool or something available that is able to look within a tileset .hak file and list the names of all tiles used in that .hak file to a text file for easy referencing?[/quote]

I have an open office macro that can pull data like that for you. But, it does not recognize groups or features, it just gives you a list of the tiles themselves.

Probably really not that useful for what you are looking for.

As Lord R mentions, the set editor is probably your best choice, but it means manual typing for the actual data.

lord rosenkrantz

Oh, but I meant she wouldn't need to copy the data to a text file, if the only use is easy reference. She could just use .SetEditor every time she needs to check, just as she'd use textpad to open the text file. Unless there is some other use for the file list

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

i probably should have explained why i asked this. i wanted to take the list of tiles for documentation purposes. i would imagine it well beyond my scope of knowledge at this point to actually find any of that information useful. i just wanted to somehow create a list of all tile names used in a given tileset. it would be nice to have them separated as far and groups and features go. i never used a set editor. is it difficult? i know the amount of tiles varies depending on the tileset but approximately how many tiles does an average tileset in release 1 of CTP have? obviously gothic exterior and other larger ones have more than say brick interior but what would be a good average number?

it would seem i need to get myself a copy of this open office thingie. this is not the first group i have worked with who uses this open office stuff. the documents created by OO are usually compatible with my microsoft office but the tools these people use and some of the document notation and formatting stuff are not.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Sharona Curves;8152]i probably should have explained why i asked this. i wanted to take the list of tiles for documentation purposes. i would imagine it well beyond my scope of knowledge at this point to actually find any of that information useful. i just wanted to somehow create a list of all tile names used in a given tileset. it would be nice to have them separated as far and groups and features go. i never used a set editor. is it difficult? i know the amount of tiles varies depending on the tileset but approximately how many tiles does an average tileset in release 1 of CTP have? obviously gothic exterior and other larger ones have more than say brick interior but what would be a good average number? [/quote]

300-500 per set is average.

TNO, the set that came with WCoC has over 1200 in just ONE tileset. They have a total of 5 sets in that release, all of which will be in 1.69 as well as at least one more from ID. I can dig around to get the actual number of tiles in most of our sets. I have some documentation already built for that side of things as I used that to build test mods with.

[quote]it would seem i need to get myself a copy of this open office thingie. this is not the first group i have worked with who uses this open office stuff. the documents created by OO are usually compatible with my microsoft office but the tools these people use and some of the document notation and formatting stuff are not.[/quote]

Open Office is free. The tools are all just 'basic' programming language stuff, but Microsoft Office is not quite smart enough to recognize it all.

Actually, the best person to ask for this sort of thing is OMB. He built the macros that I use. He should be able to quickly copy/paste whatever you need the macro to do for you.

He may even be able to get his toolset to read the groups out of the ITP file. Although, that would take him a little extra time to build I think.

Heck, if we ask OMB nicely, that little document that you are hand building right now, could almost be done as a batch util. In fact, it would probably be more accurate that way...

OMB, whadyasay? Can you do it? Is the ITP readable by open office or does it also need the nwneditor.exe to convert to html first?

lord rosenkrantz

[QUOTE=Sharona Curves;8152]i wanted to take the list of tiles for documentation purposes. i would imagine it well beyond my scope of knowledge at this point to actually find any of that information useful. i just wanted to somehow create a list of all tile names used in a given tileset. it would be nice to have them separated as far and groups and features go. [/QUOTE]
I really find hard to imagine how anybody would find interesting to read a list that reads like ttf01_g02_03, tcn01_a04_01, ttd01_b07_01 and so on. I have the impression you assume that tileset files would be more like a description of the tiles instead than a list of meaningless numbers and letters. I doubt even CC creators would find such a list useful, as anyway they can find the same infos by reading the .set or itp files when working on them. Fact is, tile names are meaningful only for the game engine in fact, they carry informations only for tileset designers, surely not for any module builder.
On the other hand, infos about what terrains and crossers, and even more what feature and groups are included, could be useful to some people.
You can extract the .set file from your hak, open it with windows notepad (or better, with UltraEdit if you have it), and just scroll it down to find the part where all groups are listed

[QUOTE=Sharona Curves;8152]i never used a set editor. is it difficult?[/QUOTE]
It is not at all, it looks like a tabbed document. In fact, the above could be easily done with SetEditor and some cut and paste work, if you don't want to use notepad.

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=Bannor Bloodfist;8157]
OMB, whadyasay? Can you do it? Is the ITP readable by open office or does it also need the nwneditor.exe to convert to html first?[/QUOTE]

The macros needed text files, so converting itp's to xml was a way to do it.

Two simple ways to get a list of tiles, using DOS commands :

(1) Assuming the .set file is right (always a risky assumption!), work from the .set in a DOS box and just do something like
>find /I "Model=" tcft0.set| sort /+7 > tilelist.txt

This gives you a list of all the tiles that the .set references but this may include tiles from ctp_common or bioware tiles.

(2) Open the hak in NWNExplorer, export all the models to a scratch folder, navigate to it in a DOS box and just do a
> dir /B /L /ON *.mdl > tilelist.txt

This gives you a list of the tiles actually in the hak, whether or not they are used in the .set

Of course, the two lists should bear some similarity to each other ... ;)

Groups are defined partly in the .set and partly in the palette. I could throw together a macro to pull them out, but I think that, as the set editor already exists, using that would be the most expedient way to go.

What I would suggest, Sharona, is that you document one tileset the way you think it should be done, then we think about some software that would repeat the same process for all the other tilesets and generate equivalent documents automatically.

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

[QUOTE=Bannor Bloodfist;8157]300-500 per set is average.

TNO, the set that came with WCoC has over 1200 in just ONE tileset. They have a total of 5 sets in that release, all of which will be in 1.69 as well as at least one more from ID. I can dig around to get the actual number of tiles in most of our sets. I have some documentation already built for that side of things as I used that to build test mods with.
[/quote]

yes. i hope in a month or two bioware at least distributes that tileset. i have avoided building with DoD tileset because of that. it is a beautiful set. the CTP is working on the CCS tileset right? you can make some really beautiful interiors seamlessly using an exterior tileset. Very Cool!!!

[QUOTE=Bannor Bloodfist;8157]300-500 per set is average.
Open Office is free. The tools are all just 'basic' programming language stuff, but Microsoft Office is not quite smart enough to recognize it all.

Actually, the best person to ask for this sort of thing is OMB. He built the macros that I use. He should be able to quickly copy/paste whatever you need the macro to do for you.

He may even be able to get his toolset to read the groups out of the ITP file. Although, that would take him a little extra time to build I think.

Heck, if we ask OMB nicely, that little document that you are hand building right now, could almost be done as a batch util. In fact, it would probably be more accurate that way...

OMB, whadyasay? Can you do it? Is the ITP readable by open office or does it also need the nwneditor.exe to convert to html first?[/QUOTE]

that would be really sweet of ya. :wub:

writing down 500 AVG coded names and maybe what they represent would not be fun. ;)

[QUOTE=OldMansBeard;8162]The macros needed text files, so converting itp's to xml was a way to do it.

Two simple ways to get a list of tiles, using DOS commands :

(1) Assuming the .set file is right (always a risky assumption!), work from the .set in a DOS box and just do something like
>find /I "Model=" tcft0.set| sort /+7 > tilelist.txt

This gives you a list of all the tiles that the .set references but this may include tiles from ctp_common or bioware tiles.

(2) Open the hak in NWNExplorer, export all the models to a scratch folder, navigate to it in a DOS box and just do a
> dir /B /L /ON *.mdl > tilelist.txt

This gives you a list of the tiles actually in the hak, whether or not they are used in the .set

Of course, the two lists should bear some similarity to each other ... ;)

Groups are defined partly in the .set and partly in the palette. I could throw together a macro to pull them out, but I think that, as the set editor already exists, using that would be the most expedient way to go.

What I would suggest, Sharona, is that you document one tileset the way you think it should be done, then we think about some software that would repeat the same process for all the other tilesets and generate equivalent documents automatically.[/QUOTE]

whats a DOS Box?

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=Sharona Curves;8164]
whats a DOS Box?[/QUOTE]

Ah.

Click the start menu, click "run" and type cmd into the little window and click Okay. What happens ?