nwnmdlcomp.exe and supermodels
Many tools have been made by community members or 3ds plug-ins made available on the net. Reference to those can be found here and how to use them.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

rdx

nwnmdlcomp.exe and supermodels

Post by rdx »

OK, since there's no alternatives to this small tool + NWN_compDcomp.exe, which is just a shell for it, it is good to know how to avoid some nasty bugs

Many may have noticed that some models do not compile cause nwnmdlcomp.exe cannot locate supermodels mentioned in ASCII mdl. Does anyone know how to compile a model with non-default supermodel (like a_ba, a_ba_casts etc)?

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

I think you just need to have a copy of any super mdl in the same folder as the file you are compiling.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong on that... it's been a while since I ever looked into that sort of thing.

Pstemarie

Post by Pstemarie »

rdx wrote:OK, since there's no alternatives to this small tool + NWN_compDcomp.exe, which is just a shell for it, it is good to know how to avoid some nasty bugs

Many may have noticed that some models do not compile cause nwnmdlcomp.exe cannot locate supermodels mentioned in ASCII mdl. Does anyone know how to compile a model with non-default supermodel (like a_ba, a_ba_casts etc)?
Leave the models uncompiled - the game actually seems to run better. The compDcomp tool also has a nasty habit of borking some animations when it compiles a model with them. Its very rare, but it happens. Compiled models can also cause toolset errors - replace the compiled model with its uncompiled version and the error goes away.

Trust me - after pawing through 25,000+ compiled models looking for the one causing a toolset error, you'll wish compDcomp only decompiled models.

rdx

Post by rdx »

Well thanks, I know it is OK to have all of the models decompiled.. but some complex models are better precompiled if used on slow client PCs. Animations - that's what I was hoping to fix. imho precompiled models should reduce animation lag when the models are loaded for the first time (like when a mounted pc with custom horse enters the area)
Am I wrong?

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

pre-compiled models load faster, no matter how fast your pc is. It might not be as noticeable, but any step that slows things down, adds up.

Pstemarie

Post by Pstemarie »

Bannor Bloodfist wrote:pre-compiled models load faster, no matter how fast your pc is. It might not be as noticeable, but any step that slows things down, adds up.
True. I tend to think more in terms of SP and not so much what MP's needs and requirements might be.

Another thing you can do to reduce lag on models like the horses is to use the method they used in the 1.69 horse scripts - keep a horse loaded in the area. I use cutscene invisibility on a horse, set it to plot and immortal, and place it in a location in the area that the PCs can't get to. That way the animations will already be in the cache from when the area loaded.