Mountains hills and snow capped?
Discuss ideas for tiles or tilesets for the ambitious. Community requests here (no guarantee anyone will build it) and show your WIPs.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Chandigar
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Mountains hills and snow capped?

Post by Chandigar »

So, I suddenly had an idea this afternoon and spent a few hours fooling around with it.

The idea was to make a terrain where you could paint mountains and specify 3 different height colorations IE grass at the bottom, stone in the middle, then snow up top.

The goal was to set it up so that it wasn't limited to one particular height or composition (ie making a single level tile that paints mountains all of the same height) and setting it up to be true height transitions... so you can place tiles at plateaus at various heights etc.

Anyway, I finally got it to work... its a bit backwards but seems to work well.... just did a quick sample tileset with 1/2 the transitions and solid color textures. It'll take about 52 tiles to do a basic full version, 150 if you have only 3 tile variations on each.... so its a bit of a big job.

Question is... is it worth it? What mountain terrain haks are available? I tried browsing through the vault and found a couple, but not what I was looking for... but I might be missing a lot since i"m not downloading every single one. Anyone know?

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

There are three basic types on the vault:

Grass
Snow
Rock

None of them are combined into the same tileset however.

So your idea would be a first. And a good one. Every time I go skiing, I love the way mountains look in that regard.

I would say the only limitation to consider is that generally, folks make areas between 8x8 to 12x12, I would guess. Maybe up to 16x16 on average. A whole mountain is quite hard to fit into something that size. It may require 32x32. Just something to keep in mind.

But it is an excellent idea. I say go for it!!!!

Existing hak...

Post by Guest »

Maybe seen BlookMonkey's combo hak, http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpacks/d ... 0324.shtml

Although it does't have snow a little duplication / reskinning work could take care of that.

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

pixelknight wrote:Maybe seen BlookMonkey's combo hak, http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpacks/d ... 0324.shtml

Although it does't have snow a little duplication / reskinning work could take care of that.

It has the terrains but only one type of mountain (rocky). I think Chandigar is going for three types of mountain.

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Banshe wrote:It has the terrains but only one type of mountain (rocky). I think Chandigar is going for three types of mountain.
Mentioned it in the other thread, but what I'm trying to do is set it up so as you raise the terrain, the terrain goes from grass/jungle to stone to snow. Just realized my initial post may have been unclear.

Post by Guest »

I think that making the actual terrain as a whole and letting the builders decide what they want it to look like. That way you have ALL the angles covered. I know it can sometimes bloat a hak but tbh the most popular haks do seem to be HUGE so the size dont deter 99% of people.

Post by Guest »

I think three types of mountain would be fine in the CTP...(rocky, snowy and grass).
it gives any PW or MOD more flavour.

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

I did further testing on this and its working... I just had to go about it in a different way so its just not as elegant as I would have hoped.

Basically, you do it one layer at a time. Default terrain is grass, you raise it to whatever height you want with a flat top.

Then you paint a stone terrain onto the flat grass top and when you raise that you get stone.

You then paint snow on the flat stone top and raise that to get a snowy peak.

In theory, you can create a map of nothing but snow, but you'd have to paint the entire map with stone, then paint over the stone with snow before raising it... but this DOES give you the flexibility of having a rocky crevasse in a snowy landscape or something.

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Just an update, finally got this puppy working... only took about 6 iterations :P

Even though I said I wouldn't be posting anymore Aztec screenies to keep the new content a surprise, this seemed applicable for this post.

Pic shows the 3 types of terrain in the mountain, 1 layer of each type.

Aedrielle

Post by Aedrielle »

Are you still considering to make a complete set (or add-on) out of this? Or is it an (almost a year?) old very beautifull but cruel teaser...?