Tileset properties
This is the area for questions and answers for all the "How to?" of model creation.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Chandigar
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Chandigar »

Helvene wrote:Here, I do not totally agree with you.
Fo example, making a window in a tile a seperate mesh and applying a different testure to it usually doesn't increase poly count for too much, but definitely improves the result.

In my opinion, it's much better to combine both approaches.
Yea, the question is where you draw the line. If the volume changes, then you need a geometry change... for example, if you have a deeply recessed window, then of course you need to cut a hole and recess a mesh in there... but in traditional 3d modelling, you would have separate meshes for every change in material.

A rectangle is 2 polys. Cutting out a square in the middle of that and making it a separate mesh mesh makes it into 10 polys. Recessing that square makes it 18 polys.... so.... thats a 500% or 900% poly increase just to change a window material.

I guess in the end it just really depends on how you use those polys... if cutting out the window makes a huge difference based on the way you designed that door, then its worth it.

Helvene

Post by Helvene »

As an example - making a window.

(please, forgive me for a bad screenshot)

The easiest way to make the scenery behing the window glass was to put a simple plane there. But, increasing a poly count from 2 to 8 you can give it some volume, and make it's... more realistic?

That's where I prefer the traditional approach.

Grov

Post by Grov »

Helvene wrote:As an example - making a window.

The easiest way to make the scenery behing the window glass was to put a simple plane there. But, increasing a poly count from 2 to 8 you can give it some volume, and make it's... more realistic?
Would it be possible to 'easily' change the scenery?

Otherwise, why not make a default window and then having placeables depicting the views?

Only a thought. Im a huge fan of windows! hehe...
I mean, good job!

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

How about keepng the tile simple - just leave a rectangular hole in the wall - and have a range of window placeables and scenery panels available separately ?

Helvene

Post by Helvene »

How about keepng the tile simple - just leave a rectangular hole in the wall - and have a range of window placeables and scenery panels available separately ?
It will require a precise placing of this placeables in the holes, and may eventually result in sparkling.

acropole

Post by acropole »

make it a little bit larger than the hole

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Helvene wrote:As an example - making a window.

(please, forgive me for a bad screenshot)

That's where I prefer the traditional approach.
Firstly, thats a great window! I like it!

I'm not sure how you made it though? Do you have geometry for the outer frame, then geometry for the separate muntins? Then a separate plane that goes behind the muntins across the width of the window?

I guess I'm just not sure how you got the 2 to 8 poly value because it looks like a heck of a lot more than 8 polys (which may, of course, just mean its well designed)

Helvene

Post by Helvene »

Chandigar wrote:I'm not sure how you made it though? Do you have geometry for the outer frame, then geometry for the separate muntins? Then a separate plane that goes behind the muntins across the width of the window?

I guess I'm just not sure how you got the 2 to 8 poly value because it looks like a heck of a lot more than 8 polys (which may, of course, just mean its well designed)
I guess I led you astray.

A window-glass - plane - 2 polygons
A scenery behind it - dissected plane - 8 polygons
Window frame - didn't count it, but much more.

I wanted to say that dissecting a plane which makes a scenery behind a window I could give it a more volumetric look, and in this case I decided that this reason for increasing poly count was good enough.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

OldMansBeard wrote:How about keepng the tile simple - just leave a rectangular hole in the wall - and have a range of window placeables and scenery panels available separately ?
You could accomplish this by creating non-standard sized 'doors' and renaming them in the ITP to be windows.

Then create a 'doorframe' that is actually a window frame.

Problem is going to be the choice of 'doors' to place. However, once you create a few different windows, it should be a snap for a builder to place them into the tiles.

You would still run into those builders that don't even bother to place a door into a doorway, much less a window into a window frame.

gao interior windows

Post by Guest »

Do you think that the gao_tic and gao_tin interior window sets with those incredible 3d windows could be reworked so that changing the window in the fram would also cahnge the scenery outside, as Bannor indicated?

Lady Abagail