Upside down texture?
This is the area for questions and answers for all the "How to?" of model creation.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Chandigar
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Chandigar »

lord rosenkrantz wrote:From the Modifiers menu ---> Mesh Editing ---> Normal Modifier. Then check the Flip Normals box, and it'll turn all your faces upside down. On a side note I never had to apply it after a mirroring (I use the Mirror function from the Tools menu), as I never got inverted faces as a result.
Oh yea, I use the MAX mirror command, I'm guessing the veltools mirroring does that automatically or something. Good to know! The normal command is still sometimes useful though. For example, I did a wall sconce with a candle and a semi-transparent glass cover. Transparencies aren't handled all that well in NWN but I still wanted the candle and flame to show so I flipped the normal of the glass cover. Now, you basically look at the back side of the mesh of the glass cover on the other side of the candle regardless of where you're standing.
lord rosenkrantz wrote:Apply UVW Map an all your selected meshes, and you'll notice that the texture will be severely stretched. It's normal, at that point the parameters panel should be already set on "planar" mapping. You'll have to modify the values in the Length and Width fields, setting them both to either 500 or 1000 (those are the values that work best with ground textures for example). Always input multiples or fractions of 1000 however, or your texture edges won't match the tile edges and you get seams.

Another useful option is to set the mapping to Box and input the same value as Length and Width in the Height field. That way your mapping will be based on a cube shape, which allows you to quick map things like bricks and any ground terrains that have steps and similar (good for mapping the stone blocks of a pyramid for example ;) )
Exactly, so lets say you have all the permutations of a corridor lined up at 1000 unit spacings (standard right corners, basic corridor) and you want a matching texture on the walls; select all the walls and apply the tiling texture and a UVW box modifier of 1000x1000x1000 now the texture should be the same on all the wall pieces regardless of where they're facing. If the texture is too big, you can increment the tiling of the texture in the UVW modifier to make it tile more frequently.

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Well, I'm starting to make some progress with this. Still struggling with Gmax, but if I can figure out my texture seam problem, I think I can get there.

screenshot

I'm using a small cylinder that encompasses the area and then using a skybox style texture on it. Even when the landscape doesn't jump out at you, it has the effect of cutting off the infinite edge tiles and making the borders feel more natural:

screenshot
screenshot
screenshot

Now if I could figure out how to not have the edge tiles so much darker than the walkable tiles...

Anyway(s), thanks for all the tips. On a side note, I used Bryce to create the ocean texture, which worked out pretty well. It has the option to render an image in 360 degree panoramic mode, which works great for skybox textures.

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

:checkmark5:
:thumb: Ok, this post just got bumped! This really helped me out as I had been kicking myself for hours yesterday trying to figure out why my textures were exporting and flipping in NWN. It was not the rotate texture that was the issue... man, what a pain.

So glad I finally looked in my own forums for the answer!! Makes me wonder if I should spend some more time exporting/importing info from DLA's site in case Steel Wind ever gets tired of paying the hosting bills.

P.S. the tips on texture work using 1000 values... man do I wish I could go back in time and teach myself!!