Comunity Music Pack? (CMP)
mobyksu

Post by mobyksu »

[QUOTE=CWebb;7336]Sooner would be good for me - I've got three *weeks* left before I become a 1st time Dad. :eek: :eek:

-CWebb[/QUOTE]

i might have this weekend... :eek:

congrats to the other expectant parents here and good luck to all of you with the cmp/csp/c*p projects you're planning.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, congrats to all the daddies-to-be out there. :D

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;7313]4. In regards to professional versus community content, I am with you on the fact I wish there was more community content to choose from. In all honesty, there isn't. I listened to some really BAAAAAAAAAAD stuff on the vault. Keep in mind too, that I may have played music critic a little as well since things like techno or cyberpunk or other such music I deemed as not fitting well into a fantasy RPG setting.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I see what you mean. Personally I would have liked to see some cyberpunk-ish music for my own uses, but then it gets too specific... I also would have liked to see some modern content in CEP/CTP, but I know it's not gonna happen because the absolute majority of people aren't gonna use that. Builders looking for such specific content will probably learn how to create their own haks anyway.

But anyway, I like the ideas I'm seeing here to expand this, such as making a low fidelity version of the pack, adding battle music, etc.. and there *is* some good music out there that needs a bit of volume tweaking and such things, if it is at all possible.

Like I said on my other post, you have the right idea. Was good to see the big ad on the Vault, now people are beggining to see this. Visibility's important if these community packages are to attain the same success of CEP.

As for a Sound pack... NWN certainly needs a lot of that stuff, especially voicesets as someone mentioned before... but I'm pretty sure there are very, very few properly set up voicesets in the Vault, with good recording and all the dialogue entries, etc.. if one were to make new voicesets it would be another matter, but there's a completely different level of work involved in that.

Anyway... let the brainstorming continue. ;)

Grov

Post by Grov »

I really do applaud you Tiberius for actually joining here, and thank you Mask too, cause for all you care we could be this little fringe group never releasing anythin. True.

As for my comments, I stand by them, but the question I asked is answered. And yes, I wouldnt let a person on my team I suspected stealing my blaze until I got the thing straightened out.

As for not participating more in this thread only relates to lack of time due to real life as always. My second daughter now takes the most of my waking hours.

So Tib. Do you plan to proceed in any direction with a release 1.x

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;7317]DM Mask was very nice and very polite in inviting me to come here to discuss this. I appreciate his olive branch.[/QUOTE]

What Tib's didn't mention to anyone.. was that I threathened to indulge my kleptomaniac tendencies, and leave him with only that olive branch to his name if he didn't make an appearance here.

Sadly, this means no loot for Mask, but I did get some XP for good use of my persuade skill.

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

[QUOTE=Grov;7345]So Tib. Do you plan to proceed in any direction with a release 1.x[/QUOTE]

Yes, I plan on starting a new thread for 1.5 and recruiting you willing victims ;) to help. I have to squash a bug/problem in v1.0 which is basically some leftover conversion problems on two music tracks (screech/pop at the start of the tracks). MP3Trim should do the job.

I also am trying to quickly put together how I mechanically worked on the tracks to get them into useable form so you guys can decide on if that works or if there are better ways.

Grov

Post by Grov »

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;7351]
I also am trying to quickly put together how I mechanically worked on the tracks to get them into useable form so you guys can decide on if that works or if there are better ways.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to download the CMP 1.0 so I don't know what I think of the quality of it. But to my knowledge a sad lot (of the Vault sounds) need some soundediting done with love.
Static, echo etc etc et al...

I'll follow your ventures into 1.5-land with great interest:eek:

Post by Guest »

[QUOTE=Grov;7352]But to my knowledge a sad lot (of the Vault sounds) need some soundediting done with love.
Static, echo etc etc et al...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but how do you do that? I'm assuming it's not some ridiculously difficult task better left to the much experienced in sound editing? Is there some some of easy-to-use free software out there? :p:

Grov

Post by Grov »

[QUOTE=Metzker;7353]Yeah, but how do you do that? I'm assuming it's not some ridiculously difficult task better left to the much experienced in sound editing? Is there some some of easy-to-use free software out there? :p:[/QUOTE]

One of my team members is a professional soundengineer, I guess he uses Cubase, but I could be wrong. I'll check out some proggies and see how they could be useful. (If I am the one to discern that)

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

In all honesty the actually quality of the music was not too bad, it was the bitrate and MP3 header munging that was all over the place. There was anything from 64 to 320 Kbps bitrates with 22, 32 or 44 KHz sampling rates and both mono and stereo. Anything above 192 Kbps won't work with the NWN engine. The default Bioware music is 128 Kbps/44KHz stereo so that is what I went for in the CMP v1.0.

I do have reservations about "cleaning" up someone else's work though. Since we do have the majority of the artists buy-in for the project, I don't know how happy they would be if we took some liberties with removing or adding portions to their music. I don't have an issue with making it useable for the game from a sound mechanics point of view, but to change the artistry of the music is a line I don't think we should cross (how do we know that the artist didn't want that much echo or reverb or whatever in there to begin with?). I don't have a problem with us as a team deeming a piece of music just plain bad though from any point of view (artistic, recording standard or otherwise). We are after all trying to cobble together the best out there not just everything.

Anyways, things are kinda hectic here IRL plus DragonCon is this weekend and I'm going tomorrow! :D

raven280

Post by raven280 »

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;7355]

I do have reservations about "cleaning" up someone else's work though. Since we do have the majority of the artists buy-in for the project, I don't know how happy they would be if we took some liberties with removing or adding portions to their music. I don't have an issue with making it useable for the game from a sound mechanics point of view, but to change the artistry of the music is a line I don't think we should cross (how do we know that the artist didn't want that much echo or reverb or whatever in there to begin with?). I don't have a problem with us as a team deeming a piece of music just plain bad though from any point of view (artistic, recording standard or otherwise). We are after all trying to cobble together the best out there not just everything.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Tiberius,
I am glad that the Vault gave the CMP a larger and more noticable posting, and the positive responses and downloads are awsome. I too think that we should avoid taking artistic liberties with material that people have created for NWN and the vault. I would prefer that we simply include or exclude those sounds/voice/music creations based on quality and content. If someone who creates something that we choose not to place in the CMP, wants to know why, we can give them the option of fixing/changing their material themselves.

Chris, thanks for creating our own section for these forums. We may at some point want to look at creating a web site as well. We may also want to contact those people who have created really top notch work, or who have voiced an interest in creating custom music/sound/voice content, and inspire them to make new material exclusive to the CMP... plus we may also be able to better balance out the material we do have if we tell them (for example) that we are in need of some more battle music or drunk wenches sounds. CWebb was in the process of creating a reviewing system for vault submissions. Maybe we can develope something along those lines, so we can collectively review and critique materials in a standardized fashion.

Raven280