The City of Arabel
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

The City of Arabel

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The City of Arabel

The City of Arabel is yet another heavy rp server though not in the fashion of the co-operative game play I am use too. Its way different. It has a top level of only 10. After I read the forums for a while to get a feel for the server, I jumped in with Lauriella. 20 years after her last adventures she’s now the captain of a cargo sloop getting some R&R betweem her shipments by adventuring with the local populace.

I didn’t think I would like very much a server that you can only reach 10th level in. I was sorely mistaken. This server overall is a fantastic server and it all starts out with the Dm’s and Staff. They have built a server that feels so much like 1e pen and paper it astounded me first off. When you get that kind of vibe first thing you know you have something special.

So, lets look at the good stuff.

Far and away the best thing on this server is its people. Players, Admins, Dms, and builders are always looking for new ways to make the server entertaining.

The admins can get on you for a few things from time to time. One in particular (she seems to be the pws enforcer) that hit me unawares about an item in my inventory. I gave her the item. I inwardly questioned it after a time because it was a specialty class item. If these items exist why not put an if/then or case/switch statement to prevent non class members to use it. But that’s small potatoes and not worth it. I simply now refuse to pick up any specialty class item. All other encounters with Admins have been really good. One even saved me from the fugue and going down a level because they saw me lagging heavily on a connection problem. (good admins here)

Dms: I do not think I have encountered a better Dm team as of yet than the dms on this server. They do everything. They look at pc backstories and use them as props for adventures, Create their own adventures. Work together sometimes in pairs to keep the world story consistent and mesh adventures together at times. These guys are not only good they are better than any team I ever worked with back in the day on the many servers I dmed or admined for. They even look to see what players are writing on the boards. I just called my friends and spouses for a night of revelry at the docks of immersea and invited the mayor. When we get together on Sunday, I have no doubt one of the dms will come on and play the mayor of immersea. That’s how these guys work. This team is amazing. And as you all know I don’t say that often.

Builders: I think the builders are a young and somewhat inexperienced team. I have been watching them carefully both on the boards and how the servers work. Even though they are young and perhaps inexperience their enthusiasm makes up for it. Every time there is either a suggestion or complaint about the building/scripting of the server the builders respond within hours usually, talk about it on the boards and then if approved work on it in the toolset. They may make some mistakes or two, but they are learning and gaining experience. I expect in a few years they will be able to best most teams at least on scripting. Area building is another matter entirely, but I will get to that.

Players: Players are a mixed batch here. There are some really good role players and some not so good role players. The good thing is if players and dms find a not so good or new player they will help them along without being cannon lawyers. In fact, I haven’t found one cannon lawyer on this server. I even met and elven character from Greyhawk that was approved for play. And they create gods and goddesses and put the religion in the game. So, these people are really creative people that think for themselves. They even considered letting my play an Elder Fey’ri but decided the race was just to powerful for the server. Which is ok Elder fey’ri are a powerful race like Idra and should be a hard sell on any server. Players always have fun on this server.

General game play: First you will die a lot on this server especially if you’re a mage. It’s really pretty hard to get to level 10. The closest I’ve come to level 9 is within 2,000 xp of it. Then I died went to the fugue and back to level 7. Instead of being frustrating I’ve come to enjoy it. It gives my pc time to make friends and influence people. It gives her a reason to keep playing.

The xp system gets very weird once you hit 8th level. The server encourages crafting which everyone knows I do not like. At 8th level and above you get most of your points through dm events or crafting. Be aware that you will have to do some dm events to reach 8th or do a whole lot of crafting. Everyone knows I don’t like to craft. I do that every day as a gunsmith and run away from any crafting on any server. So, I can’t say much about that other that it seems very similar to the Narfell system.

The server is not a co-operative play gaming style like I am use too. This server has a lot of both major and minor factions. You are encouraged to join them with various perks. My pc cannot join major factions do to their life’s work. However, they have joined the hunters union and elven embassy. Nothing has come of them yet, however. They have not gotten any perks from joining other than the elves protected them once from a pair of tiefling siblings. (Say that twice real fast, lol)

You are more likely to encounter PvP situations on this server. Be aware PvP is a part of this server and people use it. Many here play evil or unscrupulous characters and will act out the part. Most PvP is done with their subdual system. Which in fact works wonderfully. You do not take an xp hit from a subdual take down.

There is generally not much lag that I have encountered on the server. Most lag I have suffered was from connection problems on my end. This fits. Being only a 10th level server the builders do not have to create 30cr creatures to challenge 20-25th level pcs. So lag should in all respects be minimal.

Mechanics:

I’m not sure just how many areas are on the server and how many outside areas specifically there are. There are enough. Maybe 400+ but not more that 500 would be my best guess. If that’s so they must have a demi-time function in modular events to make up for clock stoppages. That’s a simple enough script to make. I should put that on HMC just for PW’s to pick up. (Note to self)

Here is where there are some problems so lets look at the mechanics of the server.

Area build

I’m actually a little disappointed on area builds. A note I must make on the positive side is they have a lot of smaller outside areas. When I build for PW’s I have an extremely strict 144 tile area limit. It cuts lag to the server so much and helps with the overall flow of the game by the reducing the size to this on every area. At least pre-Beamdog. Here I do find a lot of smaller outside areas that are this size or smaller. It means that the building team is aware that the large the areas overall the more potential for lag you have. They have good discipline on area size (Kudos to the building team)

I am a bit disappointed with the overall area builds. They are very simple with not many placeables (except for crafting supplies). Placeables do not cause any lag for those of you that wonder about them. They can cause extended load times. That you have to watch out for too. However, they could put a lot more placeables in the world without effecting much. Also, there are very few custom tile sets on this world. With their server only going to 10th level and with all that free paging and load capacity I would expect the world to be a bit brighter and with more placeables. This is a little of a disappointment. The builders do not seem to know they can go hog wild with builds as creatures you encounter are of a lower cr than most other servers creating opportunities in other areas of the building. I do plan on helping them with this by taking screenshots of my own old world and having them look at it. So far had not had the time. Perhaps they will pick up some new tile sets and not worry so much about making an area look pretty because of lag or load times. They have a lot of unused potential in these areas.

Scripting

There is lots and lots of good custom scripting on this server. They have come up with a lot of scripts like moving through game paths between trees to get to otherwise closed off sections of areas to jumping across small ravines. I’ve been so impressed that I got into the toolset myself and made my own scripts for just these types of situations. Again they are young and make mistakes as I have watched but overall they get right on problems and figure them out.

They do get a lot of (Too much information errors on this server) Stack overflows, broken loops whatever you want to call them. What I call the bane of all persistent worlds. However, they do not use jasperres Ai (thank the lord). Most but not all of these are involved in the crafting system. Some not so much. As I read the yellow warnings on the right side of my screen, I have seen it also in the death system and other systems. To the builder teams’ credit: They seem to get right on the problems while the non-builder/scripter players remain unawares. As I have played, I have seen a general drop of TMI’s as I have played. Meaning that the builder team is aware of them and regularly checks the logs fixing them as they go.

Also, to the builders’ credit I have seen them constantly tinker with scripts to see if they may improve them. It shows that this young builder team is looking to improve the general circumstances for their players wherever they see a problem.

In retrospect I find this server to be one of the absolute best of servers. They are creative and give players the ability to try new fronts as in the player that plays a Greyhawk elf that was introduced to forgotten realms via portal or spelljamming. They are sensitive to the scripting of the server and lag problems. They treat every player as a customer worthy of attention and try to bring their characters background story into the game. The admins are watchful without being assholes about cannon and generally try to make the player(customer) welcome to the server.

As I review more servers I hope to encounter many more like this one. Kudos to you City of Arabel. You are doing an Outstanding job with all that your are aspiring too. As a admin, dm, Custom content maker, scripter, builder and player I salute you. You are all round the very best of servers I have ever been to or worked on. (even thought you have a cut off of 10th level)
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Re: The City of Arabel

Post by Winterhawk99 »

My time at the city of Arabel as my main server is over. Lauirella now 170 adventured and got married to two people. She's about to build the Moonflower II it will take a year, year and a half. meanwhile her wife Ava (will have to change some names in the field of lilies novel) will be living in Immersea. Lauri will visit her from time to sailing to Westgate in a small Catalina. That way i can still drop by the server. After Lauri has been at sea a few years something will happen where she is moved in time to Netheril (The next server I'll be reviewing is Netheril the age of magic.) There she will have aged another 5 years.

I will post her entries of her wanderings in Arabel here. for her continuing story as my review pc.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lieutenant Pilot Lauriella Sithmore of the merchant marines, Owner and captain of the Moonflower comes stumbling into Immersea with her bags. She sees the Moonflower in the water at last and limps over to it. She suddenly hears the voice of her ensign pilot Jerod, "Shit! Its the Capt'in. She's gone about it again! Loyd! Mack! get her into the cabin!"

She's taken to her captains quarters. by two large humans. they lay her on her bed while a slim wirey man with toned muscles from working the lines starts to disrobe her. The other two closing the door behind. He removes her boots and uniform leaving only her chastity belt, since no one knows where she keeps the key. She has two cobra bites on her thigh. She's bruised all over her body and has several arrow wounds some still smell foul but have been hastily dressed. Her normal deep bronze skin is a paler shade.

"Gods damn you, Captain! You're taking too much risk! We need you healthy!"
"Got to make a run to Suzail like we figured. What did you pick up?"
"Stop! what hit you first? What poison did the arrows have?"
"Cormyrian cobras and...……..the poison makes me sluggish, hard to move around."
He gets the Mulhorand med kit out that has a remedy for cobra bites. and another kit for the poison making her drink vials of liquid. Redressing her wounds he tells her, "Barrels of dry wine. We'll run them to Suzail to be picked up by a Galley running somewhere else."
"How much?"
"15"
Lauriella winces. Jerad her first and only officer doesn't know if its from the pain or the price, "We'll need to make 18. We'll have to haggle really well."
"Just be ready when we shove off. crew needs her captain up and about."
She gives him a week nod."

You got one of your letters but I want you to go to trance. I'm not going to give it to you till you rest well and good. If you don't I'll give you something to knock you out cold. I'll give you 4 hours then get the men ready."
"Captain's prerogative, Jerod. give me the letter."
"Later. Rest. Mack's got a good meal planned out for you."
"Alright. After inspection I want to speak to everyone in the galley anyway."
"Aye, Capt'in."

Four hours later Lauri gets up and gets dressed. She walks out of her cabin and hears the familiar call, "Captain on Deck!" The men line up in two rows facing each other with Jerad at the wheel. Lauri walks the line while inspecting the men and ship, "Everything looks in order as always. We set sail to Suzail. drop of barrels of wine. Pick up whats left over from the galleons for back here. I have good news. We may be looking at a steady contract with an adventuring guild in the near future. I may seek another when I know more about this merchant house in Arabel. we will see. Of course and as always you will get your full shares as allotted. I am also making some allowances because we where in drydock.

It's been 20 years since the Moonflower has had an overhaul. It is sorely needed. the rest we will speak about in the galley, dismissed."

They file into their first meal together in over a month. Lauri watches the men, smiling. They're in good spirits. She's lived an worked with most of these men for over 10 years. When one retires she carefully picks a new hand. If they don't work out she leaves them at the next port, picking up another until she's knows she has someone steady and of good temperament willing to work as hard as everyone else.

When everyone is nearly finished with Mack's meal she clears her throat, "We're all in this together and we all chose this life. You're all fine men. Dave and Aegis have wives at different ports. We've managed to keep our independence for 20 years.

Immersea wants us to fly their flag while at the same time making it look like they're not interested. At the same time a cult has grown around the town. A demon worshipping cult. A bard tried to help me and screwed it up big time. He may actually be working for the harbormaster. I am not sure. Immersea is the closest port to Arabel where I'm developing interest but this cult is a problem and so is the Harbormaster. Could be lucrative if I can get several regular runs a month out of Arabel, but there are problems too. I'm open for suggestions because we all have a stake here.

Do we stay or do we make for better safer ports? I also can pay the harbormaster his blood money out of the coin I've saved to buy us a schooner and new crewmates. We can sail out and keep doing what we have been for the last two decades. Or we can stay here for short runs? Make a deal with the harbormaster 3-5 year contract. That's all I'm willing to do. Could be more lucrative. Either way I'll keep your bellies full and your pockets in coin like I have always done.

Norbert the one most outspoken of her crew is the first to speak, "What about this cult, Ma'am?"
"If we stay we'll anchor for now on with the galleons unless uploading cargo. we'll use the tender back and forth. I don't want you, and I am sure Jerad doesn't want you tangling with this cult. I've seen what they can do first hand. They can call demons to them. they worship a demon called Dagon. they use salt as a way to identify themselves. If anyone hands you salt you'll know its one of them. Looks like an old dwarf runs the operation. Stay very far away from him. I would advise very short shore leaves. Do not and I mean this do not take anyone aboard the Moonflower. They are all good sailors but don't have a navigator or they would not have needed me for a job. That's how I got to know them. Jared I want you to be especially careful."

"Aye, Capt!"

Jesse "Two-Fingers" asks, What about these contracts, Capt?"

"The first is to an adventuring guild that's forming on the northern end of Arabel territory. I've become a member and have an oral contract with the women who run it." She stops as some of the men snicker, "Alright you've had your fun. Listen this is important."
Jared cuts in, "Well you did take your Moon dress with you." She gives him a sharp stare. He drops his smile. She waits for the others to stop, "I also owe them 1500 in coin. I can pay that too. but have negociated and extra 5 ton allotted to them when they need it. I'll still pay you your shares. I'll renege mine until the debt is paid. three, four runs should do it."

Jared does some calculations in his head, "That will cut 3 knots, capt. We'll be running same speed as most pirate sloops."
Loyd speaks up, "true enough but they don't have a captain that's 170 some years old and 40 years out to sea. You'll outmaneuver them captain. And I be know'in that the rest of me cohorts be think'in the same."
Cheers go up. Lauri smiles, "thank you for the confidence. the other house is Miriam. I spoke with what seems to be the head of the trade house. He's an elf. They don't like independents. but if its comes down to it I'll wear a dress to get the contract."

Mikey stands up with a glare on his face, "Pardon me Ma'am but I have to say something here. Most us been together near a decade. We know how much your dress means to you. Only two people ever seen it. That girl you love and Jerad cause he has to keep the wheel when you dance and sing to ye goddess on nights of full moon. You are our Captain, Our mother, counselor, and employer. We aint gonna let you whore yourself out to feed us. We will make due one way or the other. You've always pulled us through any hard times we had. You'll do it again without doing this. We be respecting you to much.

We also know the fleet be picking on you. Should have made Captain, real Captain a decade ago. But you be an elf, and a woman to boot. Makes it plain to us you be getting the short end of the stick. We be sticking up for ye on that end. Writing letters and such. You'll get it."

Lauri holds her emotion back a moment. She knows the crew cant see how proud she is of them, "What will it be then? Hands for staying."
7 hands go up.
"Leaving to the next port?"
4 hands go up.

Laruiella looks at each of them. the decision is made. We stay. Do short runs.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella’s squad comes off nightshift as the sun hits the horizon. Jarod comes out of his cabin handing her, her first tin of rum for the voyage. She sips it and immediately spits it out making a sour face, “Lemons! Jarod are you serious?”

“It’s the only thing they had Ma’am. If you make a run to Thresk we could get pineapples.”

“Oh Gods, Jarod have you never heard of cherries? Cormyr has them in abundance.”

His face turns beet red. He tries to recover, “If we’re doing short runs, we don’t need the rum barrels anyway, Ma’am. Unneeded expense.”

“No, we run as usual. I don’t want the men to get too lax for when we start our regular trade again. I need to speak with you anyway.” She looks around, “MACK! TAKE THE WHEEL AND HOLD 2 DEGREES STARBOAD FOR CURRENT SLANT! Besides it’s time for us to sinq.

“AYE, CAPT!” He takes the wheel Lauriella and Jarod stand in front of the water clock. Both pull out gnomish pocket watches. Lauriella counts down, “3, 2, 1 Lock!”

Jarod calls out, “2 seconds 25 slow”

“Same. Mark our latitude and go into sinq with the water clock.” He goes over to the navigators stand and marks the chart. She looks at it. Nodding. Next Jarod takes out the main ship’s sextet while Lauriella keeps her eyes on both compass and clock. After He holds a measurement on the sun using the heavily tinted lenses of the device. She waits while studying the clock until she is prepared to mark, “3,2,1 Lock!
Jarod locks the declination position and reads off. 12 degrees 35 minutes 7 seconds. She marks the map again. And studies that chart and the next three needed to get to Suzail.

We stay 2 kilometers off the coast except here, here, and here. These sandbars look dangerous, so we’ll head out to 3.5 K to avoid them. Here it looks like rip currents could put us in a jam. This coastal platform has a lot of channels. Could get us into trouble, but only out to 3 kilometers. This here, she points. Way to rocky round the horn on the east side of the city-state and it extends quite far. 4 kilometers.”

“Noted Captain.”

“Alright come on to the cabin then.” They go to her cabin which is slightly smaller than the 1rst mates. It has a simple double bed in it. A writing stand, small closet full of uniforms and two dresses. And a desk with many objects of her past upon it. opposite the foot of the bed with three chairs one behind and two to the front, and a large mirror in one corner (A luxury Lauriella could not do without). The one odd thing about it is the side wall. Where usually sets a small scroll cabinet for charts. Lauriella’s whole wall 10 feet side to side and 8 foot up is a scroll cabinet with charts on every major trade route in the sea of fallen stars along with extensive charts on the pirate islands, and coastal waters. It is a treasure trove of knowledge many a captain who usually only run two countries would sell their ships for.

She pours whale oil from a vase into a chamber pot. Takes off her gloves and soaks her hands in the bowl, “Jarod you’ve carried twice as much cargo with me through the years to be promotable for Lieutenant. Yet, I fear because of me you are being held back. I have recommended you several times over the years already. Have you gotten papers yet?”

Jarod has to clear his throat, “Well Lauri, Well………. Say, The Selune shows her full face tomorrow. You know that don’t you, Capt?”

“I’m a follower of Sehanine Moonbow of course I know…………JAROD!”

Jarod sighs, “I got me papers two years ago. Never filled them out………. Look Lauri. Who’s going to be on the wheel while you pray? Who’s going to look after you when you get shot up out adventuring away from port. It like you have a death wish or something. Yea we don’t make out like the big ships but we make a good living. Why all the adventuring. You come back beat up and torn and we put you back together again so you can purse your real love: The open water. I never signed the papers.”

“Jarod your still young. You can make 5 times on a galleon, what you make with me on the Moonflower. You need to think about your career. Finding a good woman, cashing out, and retiring to a better life. I’ll be ok. New ensigns are easy to come by.”

“You’ll be ok? That why you soak your hands in oil every morn after a shift? You shouldn’t even be up in the rigging with the men. You’re the captain for the gods’ sake Lauri. I know we’re a 12-man crew. I know its hard but its hard to watch you work yourself to death when you’re supposed to be commanding.”

“Look Jarod if its one thing I taught you it’s the fact that if you work with the men they respect you more. I don’t work as hard as they do but I work. It’s showing that I respect them as much as they respect me.”

“Ma’am, may I speak freely?”

“Of course. You’re in my cabin.”

“Since my time with you I’ve seen a lot of elves. Most humans cant tell an age of an elf but I can. Since I’ve been with you I’ve seen your eyes become more and more almond shaped. You’ve gained some weight too. Maybe only 5lbs or so but that’s another telling part. And your cheekbones are getting ever so slightly higher. How old are you now in human years now, 28, 30? You’ve also lived a hard life and it shows in your face. And every time you go out you use that foul magic you were taught. The necromancy. Sure you never use spells that will make you fall into an abyss but they drain you. We all see it.

Lauri, I’m not leaving you. You need me by your side because there will come a day when you cant do this anymore and by the way you soak your hands every morn that time may be close. Oh, maybe it will be 50 years or even a 100 in that case I’ll be long gone but I’m going to make sure your ok until my end. And I’m going to make sure the next first mate that pans out knows all the secrets you try to hide. Not because I want to blackmail you but because I care for you. We all do. So I’ll stay an ensign and be by your side until I’m unable to do this anymore myself.”

“Jarod don’t be a fool. Take the promotion. We’ll find a new ensign and You can sign on to a larger craft with more profit. I cant believe another ensign……….”

“Why can’t you Lauri. What is it you always say? I am someone of no import to the greater scheme of things? That’s not true! You’ve changes lives for the better all around the inner seas. Your beautiful even though you would never admit or think of yourself that way. I…….”

“You’re dismissed, Jarod. Get out of my cabin.”

“Knew you would say that, Yes, Ma’am.”

“Go collect your winnings.”

Jarod lifts his chin and walks out the door closing it gently behind him.

After drying her hands off with a towel, Lauriella goes over to the writing table when there is a sealed letter. The seal has a badge emblem upon it of House Forestand. An old and small Sun elf family. She smells the perfume of sandalwood and myrrh then breaks the seal, reading the letter.

Dear Lauriella, My wild bird

It’s been awhile since your last letter came. I am pregnant with our first child. Kailand once again has proposed that you sail back. Become my personal bodyguard. He doesn’t care what two women do, as long as its kept quiet.

I told him what I said to him just before our wedding when I wore our dress. Would you cage a wild bird to let it languish unable to fly the world to which it lives? Besides the scandal in court if we were ever caught, or if you ever had to defend me. You would be banished for necromancy which you well know is illegal in the kingdom. It is best that I let my wild bird fly. One day if Kailand dies before I a few centuries from now I will call you home. Not so you may be with me but so I may be with you.

I know your lonely. I can feel it on the wind. Have you found a suitable man or woman to bide the time until we can finally consummate our love? So close. So many times. I yearn to be in your arms or you in mine. You told me once you change by what you wear. I knew as soon as I probed the depths of your eyes. So many I bet wonder of you. I never hesitated. It was plain as the moon watching over the heavens at night. Do you still hold that key deep down inside within a secret pocket in your boot? Do not worry my love. If you loose it; I still have my key. Come to me soon. We may meet in the docks. I know an inn.

If you die before or I die remember to wait by the Gate of the Moon arms outstretched. I live knowing that that moment when we are both spirits, we will be made whole forever after.

Your love, heart and soul awaits your word
Alluin Forestand.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Jarod comes out on deck at midnight and makes what to the wheel. The Captain has her lanterns going so she can read the instruments. The night crew works around her, following orders. The Moonflower is at full wind with a light breeze blowing down from the north. He studies her a moment. The sun elf is 5 foot 8 inches tall she adds two inches in her officer’s boots, especially made to make women who join as ensigns taller and more intimidating.

Her dark bronze skin from a life at sea is much darker than other Sun elves he’s seen at port. Her wide brilliant eyes are copper. From what he’s heard it’s a rare occurrence among the race but not unheard off. Her hair is pinned in the back into a large bun. Far enough down that it wont interfere with her officer’s hat. Her emblem of rank a silver ships wheel is displayed as a Pin to keep the feathers of the hat in place. Her black gloved hands hold the wheel with confidence and her eyes show a contentment. As if the one place in all the world she would call home is behind that ships wheel. She is a dark beauty of an elf, Fully Matured and in her bloom.

There’s a perch beside her today. Nothing sits on the top of it. Instead a large 16 inch Mulhorandi fruit bat hangs down from it. Jarod does not know how many times Jax the bat has saved them from pirates, rocks, and other hazards of the sea in his reconnaissance missions. She seems to be able to both speak to it telepathically and be able to fully possess the creature if need be to as she says, see with its ears. Whatever that means.

He walks up to her handing her a ration of rum, “You get something to eat yet, captain?”

“Lloyd caught a grouper. Mack cooked it for us when the crew woke up. You decide to take the position after our talk? And how much did you win from trying to frazzle my nerves?”

Jerod smiles, “I decided to take the position. After you get your captain’s insignia. Then I can sign in on the Moonflower for another 10 years.”

“Am I going to have to throw you off my ship, Jerod?”

“No, Ma’am. Let us speak after you be worshipping. Overcast. I can expect quite the light show tonight?”

“It’s just a few cantrips. Illusions and tricks of magic: Prestidigitations and unseen servant.” She looks at the bat and it flies off away from the ship. It will circle up to a mile to make sure no other ships are around. If one is found it will alert her. She will possess it and…. hear what kind of ship it is. Jerod doesn’t understand but that is what she tells him. His musing stops as she commands, “Take the wheel while I get ready. Send the men down below and lock the hatches. He takes the wheel while she leaves to her cabin.

He takes up the wheel and shouts, “ALL HANDS BELOW! SELUNE SMILES IN HER FULL BEAUTY. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!” When the five men are all below, he locks the hatches so they cannot see her in a dress. One of the captain’s many eccentricities. In the nine years he’s known her she has never worn a dress in a public place. She say’s dresses are for the bedroom and intimacy not for public leering.

When she comes out of the cabin the Captain comes out with her hair unpinned going halfway down to her waist. Her face is made up to look like a Mulhorandi mage. Her eyes are traced around with a liner called Kohl. Making her look more hawk or bird like. The eyeshadow she uses is a soft cerulean blue. There is clear glitter on her cheeks shining like tiny stars. The dress has a white bodice on top white and incandescent pearls are sewn into it along with small opals. Her skirts wall down almost to her bare feet. The inner skirt is white. The outer has pale blue and light violet swirls going all the way to the hem. It looks lit the aurora borealis has been folded into it. Jarod locks the wheel and comes up to her slowly.

She backs away almost defensively almost as if she is frightened. A spell component is palmed in her hand, “It’s alright Capt. Bought something special for you in Immersea.” He slides the bucket with his foot over to her. Looking down she smiles with glee and picks up the 30 moon lilies out of the bucket. She heads for the main deck. Jerod heads for the wheel again to watch his Captain preform her dance for the goddess.

She goes down to the deck and makes a circle with the moon lilies across it’s entire middle. As the littles touched the defused light of the moon they glow softly. She then casts the invisible servant of hers and two more spells. Both the same. When she cast the first the stars and moon light up the sky above the ship surrounding it like a clear night’s sky, only much closer.

She casts the same spell again but this time her dress lights up the whites in the cloth glow softly. The glitter and gems gleam with their own light like stars. When she moves her arms and legs emit a trailing smoky soft light as if moonlight trails her every movement. The captain had changed from a beautiful mature woman to a stunningly beautiful elf maiden, encompassed in magical light. Her dance starts slowly. The invisible force acting as her lead. And as the hour of high moon wears on the pace picks up becoming a blur of movement and soft trailing light, descending near the end into motionlessness. The spells wear off in quick succession and only the lanterns light shows the ships position. The captain stares out to the west.

On the other side of the world another woman dances the same dance for her husband and her goddess. Only she is leading her unseen servant. When finished they make love in the garden of the estate. Her husband knowing that though she is here in his arms she is not wholly with him.

Jerod locks the wheel again and comes down on to the deck. Surprised Lauriella starts to back up and throw her hands out defensively. As he closes the distance she nearly screams out, “Jerod! Stop. Let me pass!”

He studies her. She is swaying slightly forward and back. Her eyes are as big as saucers and her breathing is becoming rapid. Again, she has a spell component in her hand, “I just wanted to speak with you?”

She takes a step back again in defense, “You know the rules. You are not to speak to me when I’m like this. Let me pass, now or I will drain you! Let me pass! I swear, I will hurt you if you do not stand down! I’ll speak to you after I’m dressed. Let me pass!”

Jerod puts his head down and walks to the far gunwale. Lauriella takes off like a rabbit as fast as she can to her cabin and locks the door behind her. Jerod puts his head down a moment, “Well, ole boy, you screwed that up, didn’t you? He picks up all the flowers and goes to his room into a troubled sleep; After unlocking the crew and setting the wheel for her.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Jerod comes on deck the next morning with. The captain is still visibly shaking at the wheel while the deck crew is incredibly quiet. He walks up to the wheel and sets her rum on the navigation desk. She turns to him, “What in all the Hells was that last night! You broke your promise to me I should have you lashed for that! What was so gods damned important that you would break your promise after 9 years!”

“I am, I am truly sorry, Ma’am. It will never happen again.”

“If it does you are off my ship!” Several men take the opportunity and the que, scatter like rats and hit the hatches.

“Captain, may I speak freely?

Lauriella purses her lips, “This better be good!”

“I just thought maybe I could speak to you after your dance. You always seem so joyful afterward. If not gazing out into the distance as if looking for something.”

“How old were you when you signed on with me?”

“15”

“How old are you now?”

“24, Ma’am”

“Which means I was the one that watched you grow from a boy to a man. Just like all my other crewmembers. I will not bed any of you. It would be like bedding a son. And besides that, its bad protocol. Do you understand!”

“I wasn’t trying to…………”

“Then why did you interrupt a moon dance!”

Dumbfounded he just stares at her confused.

Realizing he knows nothing of elven traditions she shakes her head, “Only women preform the moon dance to celebrate Sehanine Moonbow. The men, lovers, husbands, boyfriends watch. The women filled with their faith get aroused. And the men aroused by the dance. If you have a man afterward you usually spend some time with them. If you have a woman you dance together and then spend some time together. The only reason I let you see my dance is because I need someone to man the wheel!”

“I didn’t know.”

“What was so important?”

“Ma’am you never told me your story. I just thought that if I could approach you like you were you would be affordable to telling me you tale.”

“My tale is boring.”

“I would still like to hear is that is if you do not mind.”

“I’m Ar-tel but I am no Noble. I grew up on a farm with my parents. When they found out I had magical abilities could lean cantrips they sent me to school. I learned from a school highly involved with something called white necromancy. Its necromancy that doesn’t turn you evil. Afterward I left for the inner sea.

I started out a magical defender of one of the realms long the sea of falling stars and a courier to other countries. Got interested while going back and forth with navigation and signed on as a pilot when I had enough knowledge.

There was a storm, an Umberlees wrath type circular storm. My captain had the smallest fastest galleon of the 11 ships. I lit her up with magic and guided the rest of the ships out of the storm. I was lashed down, but a wave threw me headfirst into the main mast. My line had snapped. That’s how I got my lieutenants pin.

When I woke up I found myself in a country with a good population of Ar-tel. One took me under her wing Alluin. As soon as our eyes met, we both knew we loved each other. Her soul was so bright. I found out while she took care of me that she was betrothed to another to gain a house alliance.

Noble elves often marry the same sex and have dalliances with other men or women. Commoners like me usually frown upon the practices of the nobility. My parents are farmers and taught me it’s a sin to be with another woman. Or be unfaithful to your husband. They want their children to have children so they can take over their business or farm. Being a mage, I was privileged to be around nobles for a long time and learn that’s not how nobles think or feel. But my beliefs are like my parents.

When I fell in love with a woman it tore apart my heart, ethics, and views. To this day I still fight with myself on what is right and what is wrong in these things. I decided it was best for me to leave. I had a huge bonus from adventuring and for my heroics. So, I bought the Moonflower and left her to marry her husband. I just could not get over the fact that it is somehow wrong to be with a married woman or a woman at all.

Yes, I joke about it and tell people about it with a smile on my face, but I still have problems with my own sexuality. So, I long-haul so I don’t have to worry about it at all. Never in one place long enough to develop a relationship. And when I finally die then perhaps, she will fall into my arms at the gates of the moon, and I can have peace in my soul at last.

My magic is effected also by the head injury. If I go on a long voyage the number of spells, I can hold in my head gets smaller. My magic degenerates. So, I have to adventure at various ports to keep up with it or I will loose it. That is why I adventure. If I don’t, I won’t be able to protect the ship with my spells.

Now I ply the seas with my crew. And try to make enough for a schooner and keep the crew fed and happy. That’s my life and why I am of no import to the greater scheme of things.”

Jerod swallows, “There’s more too it. I saw the fear in your eyes. You’ve been hurt. More than once.”

“Do you ever know when to stop! You’re dismissed!...........No I’m Dismissing myself. Take the wheel shove it up your ass and choke on it! I never want to hear about this again. Have I made myself perfectly *%^#ing clear!”

Jerod knows now he had better keep quiet and follow orders, “Yes, Ma’am!”

Lauriella goes back to her cabin and slams the door.”

Jerod sighs and orders the men to come out of hiding so he may perform his daylight shift.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The Moonflower finds a slip along the Suzail docks for the smaller cargo carriers (schooners and sloops). Lauriella takes her coat off. Jax crawls down her arm. I know you don’t like the light jax but find out what ships are about and if we have any friends here. It’s huge so I need your ears.” The bat takes off and circles the port. Lauriella leaves her coat on the navigators table and goes down to help the men set the moorings and buffing pontoons so the ship doesn’t smack into the slip.

As she is doing so she suddenly stands and her eyes glaze over, “The Scorpion is here and she’s not flying the fleet flag. She’s flying Damara’s colors. She’s just starting her offload.

“Aegis comments, “That’s Vahn’s big frigate think he be commander now.”

Lauriella nods to him, “Maybe he’ll come around. Ok, Jarod and I will take care of business. Then everyone except me, David and Mack will have a 12-hour shore leave. Sound good? Well load up and pull out by 0200. Sound good gang?”

She hears a bunch of, “Aye, Capt. and a few hoots and hollers.”

Meanwhile on a huge frigate in another area of the port a balled headed older gentleman, with three blue rings painted on his crown, at the wheel watches a bat strafe his gunwale, Jax! Well I’ll be an old sea dog. Lauriella’s in port.”

His lieutenant narrows his eyes, “That old witch still alive?”

“She’s a sun elf, Murray. Probably as stunningly gorgeous as the first time I met her 25 years ago, Even if she doesn’t think so. And besides that, she’s a better person than ¾ of our men, including you.”

“You’re not going to get behind her belt you know.”

“We’ll see.”

“Lauriella and Jarod go into the harbormaster’s building. She is waited on immediately by an intern, What, have you got and where from?”

“30 ton Cormyrian dry. 1338 to 1345. Speculation, Merchandise is free for purchase at the right price. The ship is the Sloop Moonflower.”

The intern writes it all down and gives her a slip, “Docking fees, and tariffs standard rates Lieutenant.” She pays the intern the proper amount already weighed on the ship. Suzail is a major port Lauriella has been to over the years she knows all the rates. She writes out the cargo on a slip and posts it to the merchandise board for others to know of her cargo.”

She suddenly hears a voice behind her, “Lieutenant Lauriella Sithmore as I live and breathe! You still running that dingy all-round the inner sea?”

Lauriella tilts her head to look at him while still writing. She slowly bobs her head, “Commander Vahn Ebo. That dingy has 3 times the speed and 5 times the maneuverability than that behemoth you wheel.”

“Come here you, saucy wench!”

She hands the rest of the paperwork to Jarod and goes over to Vahn. They clasp their hand upon the others forearm in a Mulhorandi greeting then bring their other arm placing it against the other side in friendship, “You’re a long way away from home, Vahn and flying Damara’s colors?”

“So are you Lauriella, we can talk at the Raven’s nest if you wish. More important what you driving? May be interested.”

“30 ton Cormyr dry. 1338-45”

“How much?”

“Where you going, Vahn?”

“That’s not fair.”

“I’m a businesswoman.”

“That knows every port across the sea of falling stars. Impiltur. One of your old haunts.”

“So, you can get 24 for the merchandise. I want 20.”

“If your carrying Cormyr wine it’s a short run for you. I’ll give you 16.”

“I just had the Moonflower refitted. I need at least 19 can bring it down anymore.”

“hump, That is a big expense with your small cargo capacity. Tell you what. I can go 18 that gives me 6 profit.”

“18,500”

“Vahn spits, Ok I’ll split the difference. 18 two five. But only for the finest looking lieutenant in the merchant marines. And don’t you be hollering that you got the upper hand on me, beauty.”

She turns to her ensign, “Jarod could you make all the connections get everyone offloading. I’ll be back in an hour.”

“Aye capt.” Jarod goes about his duty. Lauriella and Vahn head to the local tavern and find a quiet corner.

They order a bottle of whiskey and gin. She turns to him questioningly, “Avoiding home port and flying a Damaraian flag?”

“It’s the war Lauri. It’s getting bad. Unther is making threats against the Merchant fleet. We’re independent and neutral in any war, but Unther is threating us with embargos and blockades because Skulk is such a large port of entry. I’m doing what’s best for my crew and turn’in me eyes west and north rather than the south-east shipping lanes.”

“I’m sorry to hear. Pharaoh’s a decent ruler even if he still allows slavery. The laws are strong on the mistreatment of them. Still he should end it. As long as there is slavery in Mulhorand many outside the country will think them much like Thay and that isn’t true.”

“There’s talk that he will end slavery once the war is over. I am with you on that Lauri. Let us hope. Hey, I have an idea.”

Lauri pours herself some whiskey and brings her eyes up to him to explain, “Why not be my outrider. You got one of the fastest Sloops in the marines. You can carry what I can’t 30 ton right or have you changed your mind about that? I’ll give your men each one share. Your ensign 11/2 and you two + your cargo is yours. You offer me scout and defense services. I’ll even add a cabin boy or girl for your entertainment depending on how your feeling lately.”

“It’s a hell of an offer Vahn but I want to stick around here. Changed my home port to Immersea for a while. They are having troubles there. An opportunity for adventure and gained a steady contract hopefully. They need someone who can turn on a dime way things are going with demon cults and famines.”

“The only reason for you to stay in one place long is you looking at someone?”

“Maybe.”

Norbert comes into the bar and immediately finds the two. He salutes, “Commander, Capt. Men are getting antsy.”

“They can go Norbert, but I want a favor? You like to run the brothels. Bring Jarod with you. Make sure he has a good time. He’s been getting pretty stiff at the wheel lately and hard to deal with.” She tosses him a small coin bag.”

Norbert smiles and takes off. Vahn comments, “Problems with your ensign?”

“He’s a good man. I just had to cool his balls off a bit on this trip. He’s been uptight and frisky of late. Besides he turned down his Lewy to stay on the Moonflower.”

“He watches you dance, doesn’t he? Hell, Laui if I were your ensign, I would do the same. I could use him. My lewy will be promotable soon. You should have been promotable a long time ago?

“You hitting on me again? I made cargo capacity 5 years ago but no word from fleet. You know how it is an elf and a woman. They will drag their heels indefinitely if they could. And yes. I need someone to man the wheel when I celebrate the goddess. I cant lock the wheel for an hour. Sloop rudder lines and pulleys are more delicate than your big frigates. I’d have stretched lines and broken pulleys with a year.

Vahn looks distantly, “Wish I could see your feminine side again. When you wear a dress. Your cute as a button and now you have some curves too now.”

“I have curves. You have one great big curve in front now. What happened to that strapping ensign I taught the instruments to?”

“I’m old now and you forever young.”

“Alright I have to go. She stands takes up her bottle and gives a salute. The night ever guide you Vahn.”

“May Ra ever watch over your days, Lauriella.”

Lauriella goes back to the Moonflower. Takes up her bow and goes down to the haul. She sits in her favorite corner and watches with her infravision. It takes some time for them to come out. She shoots 5 before the ship rats go back into hiding. She comes up on deck to find Mack and David lounging on chairs, “Nothing to do?”

David bleats out, “Aye capt. Moonflower is newly remodeled aint much to maintain now.”

“True enough, as you were then.”

She starts to go to her cabin when the two men get up and follow her. She turns to them, What is this?”

Mack calls out, “Wanted to talk to you bout something important, Capt.”

“Alright come on up you two.”

They walk behind her. When she opens the door she finds a small wood elf in her cabin. The two men push her through the threshold and close the door. Infuriated she tries the door. The men have her barricaded in, “THIS IS MUTANY!”

She hear’s Mack calling out, “Ain’t mutany, capt. if we have your best interest at hand. Jarod ain’t the only one been uptight of late! Besides whens the last time.”

Women are not like men in this regard open this damn door before I keel haul the two of you!”

Mack shouts out, “We know better, Capt. You never had anyone clean barnacles in all your life. You got you’re self too big a heart. And beside she got no barnacles on her now!”

“I’ll get my lash. You know I’ve lashed people before.”

“Only cause they were stealing out of the coin chest, Ma’am!”

David turns his head, “You would think she would be thanking us for paying for a high-priced whore.”

Mack shakes his head, “She is you doult!” He yells out, “By the way, Lauri; We ain’t a gonna be letting you our until Miss Carisin says she’s finished. We know you be lying to us after figuring enough time!”

“Gerrr! My crew are such assholes!”

Mack yells out, “Your welcome!”
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella studies the wood elf for a moment. She has big green eyes and hair a dirty blonde color. She is barely 5 foot if that. Her form and eyes are young perhaps 120-125. She turns back to the door, "this is barely a child! You two let me out!"

Mack holding his back to the door answers her, "I was assured she is of age and trained to get to the hardest of women...………Meaning you captain!

Lauriella defeated turns around back to the Syl-Tel-Quessir, "Go to trance, sit on the bed, read what you want. just don't bother me. I have to make the ship's logs and reports."

The wood elf clasps her hands in front of her and looks down to the ground, "I do not please you Milady? I am a gift for you. No coin is needed."

"Gods and Goddesses, Do not try your wiles on me! I'm over a 170 years old and know all the tricks. sit your ass on my bed and make like a statue. Eventually my crew will give it up! And do not call me Mi 'lady. I am a commoner not some noble Ar-Tel. Someone of no import to the greater scheme of things!"

The young woman sits on her bed. Lauriella grabs the vase of whale oil and pours it into a bowl. the wood elf comments after inwardly correcting herself, "Mi' la...…...….Ma'am I can cut the calluses from your fingers so that they may straighten again. I have done it many times for sailors that work the lines and riggings. May I at least do this for you?"

Lauriella looks at the bowl and back to her, "They will grow back within a few months."

"Captain...……Ma'am. If you work with your crew you should at least take care of your hands and feet. I am one that can take care of your ailments common to those who sail. I am trained to do this. You will have a few months of relief from the rigors of sailing. I can even soften your hands. Elven hands are delicate and not meant for the hard work at sea. Let me ease your pain."

Lauriella looks at her mangled hands. and back to the wood elf. She sighs inwardly knowing it is a ploy to get her more affordable for the whore to do her real job, "I will let you tend to my hands but know this I will not bed you and the men know we shove off in 12 hours. So I only have to outlast them."

"Mistress, I will only do as I am afforded. You have 12 hours with me. If you do not want to be with me I will do as you ask. Know that it will be reported and I will be punished for not fulfilling my contract if you are not satisfied."

"Just fix my hands! That is satisfaction enough!"

Lauriella sits down in front of her desk. The wood elf uses the other chair. She takes a straight razor and carefully cuts all the calluses off of Lauriella's hands. She then uses a file with ruby dust to plane off the skin. While she is doing all this she looks around Lauriella's small cabin, "you have a Moon Dress, Ma'am. Someone must love you very much."

"That's none of your business!" Lauriella gets up and closes her closet door, while continuing, "Moon dances are a private affair between the woman her goddess and her lover."

"my apologies, Ma'am. I just wish to know you." She strokes Lauriella's hands while working on them when she comes back for the whore to finish the work.

The wood elf continues her work while carefully looking around, "you were a cerulean star, Captain?"

"That was over 30 years ago. How the hell do you know I was in the order of the Ceruleans? that is a very obtuse piece of lore!"

"I was trained as a bard. It is what I do. It is how I know my customers. How is it you are not with them if I may ask, Ma'am"

Lauriella mentally struggles with her feelings and knowledge. In the end she acquiesces to the wood elf's quarry, "There was an accident. I guided a large fleet of ships through an Umberlee's wrath storm: a hurricane, I hit the main mast and crushed the side of my skull. From that point on my magic wanes and waxes like the phases of the moon. If I do not adventure my magic weakens. I must continually adventure to build up my magic power. I have men that need me to support them. So my power is always in flux."

The whore continues her attentions to Lauriella's hands while studying everything in the room, "You were trained in necromancy in Mulhorand. You are a death mage. One that seeks out other casters to dual with. I have heard of the training. a brutal method of extracting all emotion from the caster until they are left with no center and become an arm of the pharaoh's justice against Mulhorand's enemies."

Lauriella purses her lips, "Some do not break under the training. they are filtered out in the last years. I have feelings even if muted. You do yourself a disservice in your knowledge. The practice of making death mages was made illegal by pharaoh some 50 years ago as he deemed it a deprivation to the natural way of things. Not that I will ever be effective in that realm anymore. I have not been able to cast more than a 4th circle spell since my accident."

"I apologies for my forwardness, Mistress."

"Lauriella gets more upset and at the same time she feels warm inside her self. she does not know what to do. In a fit of loneliness she suddenly stands up and forces the wood elven to stand up with her. Lauriella kisses her passionately.

The wood elf accepts it saying, "Let me be the one that gave you the dress, Mistress."

Lauriella guides her to the bed. Pushes her down to it and the rest of her leave of absence ensues.

When she comes out of trance she is still holding the wood elf in her arms. Lauri has mixed feelings about it. Her upbringing against her own needs of the moment. She gets up and dresses in uniform after putting her belt back on. It's been 5 years since she has been with a man and 7 since she has been with a woman. She sighs heavily and goes to the wheel. The crew is there and ready

She orders the men to make for sea. They follower her commands to the letter. Most now smiling. The woman comes out from her cabin and disembarks a large extra purse swinging from her belt.

They shove off to Immersea. Lauriella picking up a cargo of flour, olive oil, yeast, sugar, salt and other semi-perishables to help the people of the small sea port. A gambit to please the harbormaster to yield his outrageous prices.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella arrives at Immersea an hour before sunset. She takes a set of slip flags out of the Harbormasters office and signals the Moonflower to pick her up. She sees the tender get lowered into the bay and two figures on it. She gives the flags back to the woman that runs the office and comes back out. Mack and Ian are waiting at the slip for her. They row back to the ship. The men form up for inspection. Everything is in place and in order. She dismisses the day crew except for Jacob and the night crew starts to weigh anchor for Westgate.

Lauriella goes to the helm. Jarob sets some rum down on the navigators table. They synchronize their instruments. Lauriella sips her rum again spitting it out, "Don't tell me you put green apples in the rum barrels? Didn't I tell you cherries were cheap in Cormyr?"

Jarob comes to attention, "Yes, Ma'am but I know how you be with expenses. The apples were cheaper. And besides, Ma'am. Men seem to like it."

Lauriella makes a sour face and sips some more. Looking around at the men who are giving wry smiles to one another. She looks at him, "I should be sending you out hunting for a squelch to oil the pulleys now shouldn't I."

His face turns beet red, "My pardons, Captain."

She turns to the men, "I FIND OUT WHO PUT HIM UP TO THIS THEY'LL BE ON RAT DUTY THE REST OF THE TRIP!"

Some of them snicker. Lauriella sighs and takes another sip, "Next time cherries don't listen to these bilge rats. What's the cargo?"

"We still have the 5 ton of dry goods."

"I know the harbormaster would not see me. He could have been a hero to Immersea but I have expenses too. We'll sell them at Westgate. What else?"

"6 ton tin ingots, take up a lot of space but there's a contract. bale weight is light. 5 ton Hard wood also under contract, and 4 ton of Cormyrian cherries. seems the season has come for them to ripen."

Lauriella looks at him pursing her lips, "What did you just say?"

"Well Ma'am it is merchandise."

"She rubs her forehead, "It's going to be one of those trips. Did everyone tithe to Umberlee at least?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"At least it will be fair weather. And we're not in the middle of the sea just passing through Dragonmere to the Neck and the boundary to the sea. Not much weather in the Dragonmere. You still good Jarob?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"I want a tether on you next full moon."

"Yes Ma'am."

"Alright we are in agreement. You are dismissed with the day crew. get something to eat and get some rest. You know the trade route well enough. good sailing tomorrow."

"Aye, Capt." Jarob walks down into the craft and disappears.

Lauriella stands at the helm holding on to the wheel. As she navigates by the stars she hums out a tune of contentment.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The next morn when Jarod relieves her she goes to bed exhausted. There is much to do on a cargo ship and she is the alternate. The one that has tasks to do when others are occupied in their workings.

When she goes to revelry she thinks back to the first letter she sent to Alluin. She memorized every letter she penned.

Letters to a lost love

Alluin Vyshaan, a pretty gold elf with golden blonde hair and green eyes comes to the door when she hears a knock. She comes from a large house of the old line but does not quite take to the restrictive standards of her family. Opening the door there is a human male in a waterproof overcoat reminding her of someone quite different.

Her betrothed, Kailand another from a long line stands a few inches higher than her. His skin tone is deeper. His hair is black and his eyes the rare color of gold. He comes behind her, “Is everything alright?”

The sailor tips his hat, “Alluin? Alluin Vyshaan?”

She looks up at the bearded brute almost a foot taller than her, “Yes that’s me. What do you want?”

“Letter from the harbor master.” He hands her a scroll tube.

Looking at the scroll she thinks she knows what it is. Her lips quirk a moment before looking back at the sailor, “Thank you.”

The man tips his hat and departs.

Kailand looks to the scroll in interest, “What does the seal say?”

She looks at it and reads, “Mulhorandi House of life. There is a wizard mark in the center. Kailand my dear could you help my father with the back for a few moments?”

He raises his eyebrow in understanding, “I leave you two alone then.” He leaves to the back of the house.

She breaks the seal and removes the scroll. Her lips again quirking.

Dearest, Alluin Vyshaan,

I had to go. I want to explain. The day I disappeared Azalea sent me to the lake to reflect for a time. I felt silly at first. Like a brooding paladin. On the fifth day I drew pictures of my flashes. My visions. The next day I called my hound.

With no memory of recall we pieced together the past. It was brutal at times. When he left. I walked the lake. Burning each as I resolved the past.

One I could not. For days I studied. I sat at a desk. A Shou woman sleeping at the other side. I smiled down on her as she slept upon a book. All the things I love surrounding me. On the last day I found my answer. For I now know there is no sin in being with the same. I knew in my heart I loved both. But how-to level desire? Only one way I know. Have both husband and wife.

I took to temple then harbor. You should have seen the Harbor master raise his eyes looking up my name. Lauriella lost at sea. Awarded lieutenant pilot posthumously.

You’ll like her, Alluin. She’s 42 foot. Bought with my coin from ventures here. Her name’s the Moonflower. She cuts a low draft. She’ll outrun most and is worthy for sea. Polished and new. She’s meant for a crew twenty. but I will have to do for now.

I went for my daughter. It didn’t take me long. I did not find her. Instead I found a grave. It was the first time I cried since finding myself on that beach. I prayed to the lady into the night. They said that she caught fever after the storm. She languished a few weeks but gave into fugue. I am suspicious.

I love you, Alluin. And I’m in love with you. It’s not something I wish but fate intercedes. You are a noble, have duties to yours. I am but a pilot and mage. No one of import to the greater scheme of life. You are my lost love, heart and soul. I think that’s what I’ll call you now. Sometimes I look up on moonless nights in the open sea. That is when the stars are brightest. It seems like you can put your hand up and touch them but ever untouchable. It is like your soul. So bright and clear. You know I know souls.

Perhaps I’ll stop by. Now and again. I think you know my sign now. If your love agrees. You can come to me. Perhaps woo me in that dress again. This time I wont so frightened now my heart and mind are one. I promise. I’ll make your night memorable. Some year when you have your grand on your lap you can tell her of your girl of the sea. Going to lands plagued by abominations to stop them.

As I go from port to port I eventually marry man then a woman. This ship is meant to have a twenty-man crew. I didn’t buy it without reason. I’ll marry a man first. They’re easy to convince to let another in. Women are smarter. And much more jealous. We’ll go round the sea of fallen stars helping kingdoms. I have papers for over a dozen countries. I’m legally my own merchant now though its more for getting into ports.

And you tell your man he had better protect my girl. Not that you need it. If I find out he’s laxed in his duties I may have to turn him into a salamander. I like salamanders. I won’t be cruel. I’ll put him in a glass cage and give him 10 or 12 lady salamanders to take care of. Ok, that may be even more cruel.

I will write as often as I may. You are welcome to write back.

When the time comes for you to stand at the Gates of the moon. I will be waiting at the entrance. Bare hand out in invitation, My Love, Heart and Soul.

Lieutenant Lauriella Sithmore Merchant Marine Pilot.

There is a whistle outside to call her out of her trance. Lauriella gets up. cleans herself by spell and puts on one of her many uniforms. Afterward she takes the helm and relieves Jarod.

At the wheel she goes back to her contentment for the most part. there is a lingering feeling of loss that she cannot resolve. It haunts her through the night.
CTP team member