Lauriella's Last Dance.
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Lauriella's Last Dance.

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After the Anchor is lifted and the sails unfurl with the Moonflower making way to Harborage on a link to Ascore. Lauriella is at the back end of the stateroom for Arelush her lessons.

“I don’t understand how triangles can be circles?”

“It’s not that triangles are circles. It’s that we use triangles to know what circles are like. Remember that number I gave you? 3.14. It’s a very important number for navigation of the stars and for knowing how circles work. It’s added to the calculations of triangles to know the diameter and radius of a circle.”

“I still don’t understand, ma’am”

“Well, let’s take navigation. The world is a giant sphere. To……….”

“Everyone knows the world is flat. Besides if it was a sphere, we would all fall off eventually, wouldn’t we?”

Lauriella bangs her head on the nearest ship rib. “Ok, Toril isn’t flat. I don’t know how we don’t all fall off, but every star navigator eventually figures out that Toril is a sphere, or the math would not work.”

Lauri makes an imaginary sphere with her hands. “Just imagine that it is a sphere, Arelush. A navigator to find his exact position on Toril measures at least two stars that they know are in a certain position then they make a triangle with the two stars and the point that we do not know. Like the algebra I taught you we call that x. We read the sextet and the angles from us to the stars. We then can calculate x by the angles on we measure. It’s called geometry. There is more to it. You also have to know the exact time to the 1/10 of a second……… and……….”

Arelush looks at the captain suddenly going into a daze and gets worried. The other men have told her more than once that it is the Lady Captains decisions that make them profitable or not that help them survive the rigors of the sea. She’s not sure what to do and is about to try to help her when Lauriella snaps too.

“That’s it: star movement over time! That’s what I’m missing! Get Cyr to me side!”

While Arelush rushes to get the lieutenant Lauri frantically takes out her old star charts and the new ones she has been making with Cyr. When they come down Lauri has several spread out over the big table. They both approach interested.

“I always wondered how I was going to give the spell the right calculations to move things through time. It’s the stars Cyr. It’s the damn stars. Remember when we first got here. You said the stars were wrong?”

“Aye. What’s this about, Lauri?”

Lauri notes the positions on several stars. “Here is what we do. We take the prestidigitation cantrip I use on a cloudy night when I dance. We permanently wrap a more powerful spell like it around the move through time gyro not the here is where we start gyro. This will be our map.

We keep a measurement of how the stars that move the furthest from where we been and where we are now. Just like in regular navigation but not its through time. Now we can set the time in the invocation on how far the stars move to the time we want to go to. 3,500 years. We need to find the stars the moved the most in that number of years then. Then we have a time star chart with the right calculations and can lend the calculations into the spell invocation.”

Cyr suddenly surprised and delighted says, “Pure genius. I see it.”

Lauriella nods to him. Arelush seems more confused than ever.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella walks up on top deck in her short clothes at 2 in the afternoon. She's digging at her belly and asks her lieutenant why she was called?

"Glass the port of Harborage, ma'am"

"She takes the glass from him and looks at the port. It's large enough but the town is smallish with just a few warehouses near the docks. Then she looks at the waterline pole near the docks. "12 and some. We cannot make it. Have to do it the hard way ship to ship." She yells out, GET THE MID BOOMS OUT AND ASSEMBLE THEM MEN. WAKE UP MY CREW AND HAVE THEM HELP!"

Cyr comments, "I'll take the tender out and make the stamp the deal and see who at the docks wants an easy day profits. It's going to cut into ours though."

"Aye. To be noted at this port of call. small and not worthy of our time less its harvesting season. We should be about three weeks too late for that. Take two of your crew. It going to take some time for us to assemble the ship booms. Get a feel for the town and stop by the inn to know when best shipping season is." She hands him a small bag of silver to grease the bartender.

They separate. Cyr to take the Tender Lauriella to her cabin to get her work clothes on. Arelush passes her as she goes to midships. "Captain what's wrong."

Lauriella turns. "What ye mean?

"Your belly is bright red?"

She looks down, "ummm. Seems one of the rat bites gave me something. been a bit itchy there of last few days. Don't worry Arelush I have a ring that heals me. I'll see someone when we be getting back. Now off with your chores. Don't worry bout yer old, captain."

Arelush bows Mulhorandi style which slightly ticks Lauriella off but she shows patience to the girl. "Remember you a free woman now Salute do not bow. I know it take some time. You getting it though."

"Oh while you were upstairs a letter mysteriously formed on your desk. Must be one of your magic friends."
"Or a sneaky stowaway." Lauri suddenly looks around. Not finding anything she places true seeing on herself. She sees nothing. Slipping the letter under her bosum to relieve the itch on her stomach. They part. Lauriella goes to her cabin and takes out a work uniform.

Coming back on deck she joins the men setting up the boons. She sees a 45 or 50 ft sloop making way to them. She breaks off and comes to the starboard side. As the other ship settles in position the two captains salute each other. The Young human stomping one fort and bringing his right arm across to his left shoulder. Lauriella placing her fist to her heart.

"Mulhorandi! Greetings Captain. I be Captain Laudenschlager."

"Captain Sithiir. Please to meet, ye. Welcome aboard if ye will."

A gang plank is set up and he walks over inspecting her ship as he does. "Biggest ship I ever seen in the narrow sea Schooner as big as a frigate. How much you carry?"

"100 tons. Got 30 for ye. can ye take it and what you commission for 30?"

"Ye in luck. I can be holding 35. and that would be 3000."

"3000 a bit rich specially in the off season. I offer 1500. Besiden you got to take the load some 400 yards. Easy day pay for ye."

"It be a poor year for shipp'in. Besiden, the snows coming soon and northern traffic will stop. But I do hear ye 2500.

"I willing to go to 2,000 being the north will be dead."

"2500 was me final offer ma'am."

"I already have contract"

"And ye know that do not matter to me. I just a small sloop captain."

Lauriella grits her teeth. "Aye been there meself for a decade or too. 2500 then. I'll get it from the cargo chest. Be back in a minute."

Lauriella goes down and collects the coin from her cargo chest while the other captain makes a sign. His small crew start to open up their single hold. When she comes back, she opens holds 3,4,5 and 6.

Both crews work together on the booms and down in the two ships holds. The work is done after 3 hours being that her ship boons can only carry 1 1/2 ton at a time.

The ship leaves. As dusk settles upon the sea she sees the ships tender coming back. Cyr and his two men raise the tender and step aboard. The two of them go down to the stateroom and open the books at the bar.
"What's the net?"

"9,000 what was the take?"

"2500"

"Took advantage but not outrageous."

She just nods. "Made the payout slips for everyone. we done but stay here a moment."

He looks to her. She takes the letter out while scratching her stomach again. "a letter mysteriously appeared on my writing desk. Arelush picked it up and gave it to me."

She opens the letter and reads it: "Do not press further into matters. There is more at work then you know or understand elf. Deal with the dark stalkers and keep your knowledge to yourself. Or i shall be forced to personally sink your entire boat into the plane of fire.”

Signed, your cloaked acquaintance

Cyr stands up. Lauriella frowns and takes a bottle of whiskey out from under the bar table. "What in the Nine hells is that all about!"

Lauriella just pours two glasses and slides one to Cyr, " Several things Cyr. First, they had me working in the dark as an asset. Which means they didn't give a shit if I lived or died. That sort of pissed me off. The second thing is at first, I thought Cassandra was evil by the way she presented and talked to us. I found out that it is untrue. She is really a good person overseeing the darker university experiments to make sure things do not go too far.

But Cyr they did go too far in at least one instance and mayhap two. She's in over her head. Not because she's not talented. It’s because she's not disciplined enough. She'll eventually crack under the pressure.

So, I wrote a carefully worded letter to the Council of Magi. I shook the tree. I shook it hard both to see what scum would fall out and to make sure they realize I'm no neophyte at this kind of thing. Now they should make me her lieutenant. That way she can continue her façade as the socialite and have someone there to take that can help her organize and manage her work. I'll be her asshole lieutenant the denies anything suspiciously over the top on research."

"Smart but very dangerous, captain. Depending on how you worded it. Some on the council may hate your guts and who the hell is this person?"

"Ah the rat that fell out of the tree. I'm not sure Cyr but I have a theory. The eight on the council are so different and have very different opinions. How can things be organized, and the system run with such a head council? It can't. I think this is the single person that can make major decisions for the whole of the university. Call him its captain or if you will the Dean. I could be wrong but by what I have heard and seen that is my gut feeling. How else would he know about my letter so soon?"

"Got a description"

"Tall, wears a turban and desert clothing. The Style seems to be Thavian in nature or what is is now? Northwestern Mulhorand.

He speaks fluent Mulhorandi. Next time I meet him I'll pay attention to his accent. His clothing and mannerisms could be a façade just as Cassandra plays at being a socialite. But you can never cover up yer accent forever. You always slip into the canter of your milk language every so often. So next time I should be able to pinpoint his origins if it is along the sea of fallen stars. If he isn't from that area, then I will not know but will know what to exclude."

"What do you plan on doing?"

"I fully intend to do my job and my work while working on getting everyone home. This Turban guy seems to know a lot about me. He knew I owned a ship without me telling him. and seems to know where it is. If he knows that much about me, he will know that I will do my job methodically."

"Lauri if he knows that much about you, he may know your greatest weakness. He could trap you for the rest of your life."

Lauri weakly smiles at him, "I know. I hope he doesn't know. I cannot help what I am. I've tried reforming myself. It has never worked. Thus, I must always be careful. I have been careful. I'm still alive. I still have my ship, and I'm not someone's slave or captive. I also haven't let evil into my heart at those times when evil calls to me."

"Be very, very careful Lauri seems you may be over your head this time."

"Aye me friend. I will. Get some rest. time for me to take the wheel and find contentment in my proper place."

Cyr finishes his drink and salutes her."

Lauriella goes above to the open air after changing in her full captain’s outfit. Flurries start to fall. She Yells out, "WEIGH ANCHOR! WE GOT US ANOTHER LEG!"

Her signal man positions himself at the bow with a lantern. The men unfurl the three masts to 2/3rd. The Moonflower makes way for Ascore.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella is at her wheel in total contentment as she watches her lantern bearer at the bow signaling to her depths, tidal heights, and other nautical information so she can sail in the dead of night. She locks the wheel a moment and brings up her sextet. Reading several star positions, she speaks out to her first mate that plots their exact position. As she looks at the map position, she unlocks and turns the wheel 3 degrees starboard to make up for tidal drift.

She is about to sink into her contentment: for at the wheel, she is the ship. She can feel all 400 tons of wood and metal under her feet ready to react to her every movement of rudder and every command of sail change and position. This is her true place in life, and she knows full well it is. For the only place she feels true comfort in at this very place with her hands locked on to the wheel and commanding her men for the profit and development of the whole of ship and crew.

Just before she finds that inner peace a shadow travels across her peripheral vision. She quickly turns her head, and it is gone. She immediately cries out, “JAX! SCOUT!”

The 16-inch Mulhorandi fruit bat launches itself from under the perch just behind and too her side. It starts to move out along the water.

Lauriella screams out, “NO JAX!” She then sighs, “I wanted you to patrol our ship.” Lauriella then sends out her mind.

John suddenly gripes, “Oh, Shit” catching her before she falls from the wheel and placing his own hand on it to keep the heading steady.”

Lauriella possesses, Jax. It always feels alien to her in that moment for she no longer sees with her eyes but by the sound from the very clicks she makes with her throat. She turns back as fast as she can and heads for the ship. As she makes a pass from bow to stern, she looks with her ears to see anything unusual. There is nothing.
She thinks to herself, ‘If there was something there it is too late. Damn it!’

She then retreats from the bats mind and back to her own. When she does her belly once again erupts in a fit of itching. She absently scratches it as John releases her. “You need to be warning me when you scout, ma’am?”

“I know John, I know, I needed to move fast but Jax misunderstood me. Could’na give warning.”

John simply nods then takes a walk shouting orders to the men who look to be doing nothing. When he returns Lauriella hands him a wheel. “Keep a steady heading I need to write a letter.”

“Aye, Captain!”

She now goes to a midship storage room and finds a white handkerchief. She then goes to her stateroom to her magical research desk and finds an empty wand. She ties the cloth to it sets it in a cup and puts it to the side a moment. Bringing out a sheet of paper she writes”

To the Dark Stalkers, Shadow Hin Whatever you call yourselves you know who I am referring too.

I am Captain Lauriella Sithiir also known as Apprentice Sithmore of the university of Nebular. I would like to call a truce and meet. I am of the hope that we may work out our differences without any more bloodshed. You may name the time and place as long as it is in neutral territory.

I bear you no ill will at this time. Perhaps I may hear your grievances and put into works some resolution to your plight and will hear you out. Know that I did not know about the Dark Stalker project until this last moon. Perhaps we may find some resolution together.

You may also have the meeting here but because this is my kingdom, and I am the law you may be hesitant to meet here. I do understand this, but it is an option to consider. This wand is a flag of truce that I present, and I will not harm you on my ship if you choose to meet here. My word as a captain of many centuries.

Thank you
Captain Lauriella Sithiir

After Lauriella signs the letter, she puts the cup over it. The wand slants to the edge she moves it slightly and melts some wax on the wand and sticks it to the cup so it cannot fall out. Then she leaves hoping the letter and cup will be gone when she returns at dawn.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes aboard the Moonflower. John Calandro her first mate hands her the manifest. She looks it over while reading it out loud, “20-ton Oak 10 ton duskwood, 10-ton maple 5 ton dry goods, 5 ton blacksmithing supplies, 1 charcoal forge. How much did Lieutenant Stafford pay?"

"Right here, Ma'am 54 thousand"

"Wood green or dry?"

"Dry as a bone, ma'am and straight as an arrow."

Lauriella makes some quick calculations in her head and writes a note down on the paper, "We want no less than 10,000 net if the wood right as you say. if we can get to the full 20%, I say we be doing ok on this run."

"Aye, Captain."

"Lachery a short trip but good to get depth of the shoreline from here and make a new chart. Have the men plum every shift. We keep to within 5000 feet of shore on our westward then be free on the return. She looks at the rising sun and mentions, "Stay on for an hour for me John. Cyr sometimes has a time out of harbor on a hard tack and wind coming in to shore from the north. Watch to make sure he navigating the river ok. There a few tight spots for us."

"Aye, Captain."

"Dismissed. I'll take me leave to the cabin."

John places his fist over his heart while Lauriella goes down to her cabin.

When she comes down Arelush is cleaning the stateroom. She puts her hand over her fist and puts her head down in a bow. Lauriella sputters off as she goes to her mage desk, "Chin up! I work as hard as you do! Remember that a fancy title means shit on a ship!"

Arelush pouts a moment but puts her arm down once Lauri recognizes her and goes back to her work. Meanwhile Lauri goes to her mage desk and unseals several scrolls with mathematical equations, symbols, and notes she made while interrogating Pearl and squeezing as much information about how the shadow stalkers think from her.

She then goes to her bedroom. There she opens her writing desk and brings out her journal.

I am not sure where to start about this last shore leave for 4 days. So much has happened. One thing that did not happen was a meeting with Cassandra. Nor was there any word from the university. I hit them hard in my last report. Things had to be said. The lack of security, the detachment of the Mage council, the dark experiments with little or no control that have gotten out of hand.

I was hoping to console Cassandra and possibly set up a system where we could work together to get a reign on things but that has not happened. I will have to wait until returning from my duties and obligations to my work and crew. She was able to help us when we needed her through her familiar. Damn flighty dragon was supposed to stay by my side but flew off as soon as it left me its package. The council needs to learn to take their noses out of their books, their heads out of their asses and learn to look at the reality of our times, the crises that we face in the here and now. The university is responsible for the security of Conch. They need to take that obligation seriously.

The Dark stalkers attacked Hilltop and abducted several halflings. They jimmied the shield wall with their mathematical formulas to let them in. I will have to find a way to counter that. I know the mechanics of the shield but do not know the mechanics of their formulas. The good news is Pearl being partly connected them may have given me all I need to do just that.

I took her to the patio bar and got her tipsy. She started to spout off mathematical formulas, numbers and symbols of the dark stalkers. If I can learn to understand them better on this run, I may be able to help counter both their magic and engineering.

Interesting enough there was one symbol that truly interested me. It seems that copper will harm them in some way. Pearl drew a symbol representing an amulet. and another the same made or inset with copper and she wrote the death symbol underneath. I am only assuming it would mean death for them and to avoid this or any amulet made or inserted with copper. There is another option it could mean death for anyone opposing them if they wear an amulet like this, however I think the former seems a more plausible definition. I will work on all of this off shift.

During the attempted rescue of Hilltop, I did notice some form of shadow creature. They looked much like shadow demons but were much bigger perhaps 7 or even 8 foot tall. I have never heard of the like before and none of my books covering shadow creatures have mentioned them. Makes me wonder if a follower of my patron's adversary may be in some way involved with this whole affair.

In the end we wound up on some other plane of existence. A plane of shadows. Was it the demi-plane of shadows? I don’t know. but there was an odd set of mirrors set up. Vyc, Gabby and Pearl were tortured in the center of this strange machine. I found a way to weaken the machine while others pulled them out. I found no way out of the plane with the three wounded as they were, so I created my portable mansion to get some relief to my fellow adventurers.

While we were there The Turbaned Menace showed up in the pocket plane. That is some feat of magic. I do not like this one. He only sees us as tools for his own musings and revenge upon his one-time apprentice. I did pick up on his accent. it is a very old Netherese accent. So, he is not Mulhorandi but can speak it like a native. I must be very careful but will start a new file just on him. He's trouble and I fear we will clash one day. I needs must be very careful.

On patrol at the market just the other night I spied someone hiding. What do you know; it was Mr. Morton in the flesh. Even had all his badges on. Such poor form. I questioned him on what he was exactly doing hiding near the tree and making sure he wasn’t doing anything elicit. He asked me my name. I gave him my maiden name as planned, mostly because I would not bluff my way out of a galley after getting in the cookie jar, He started to speak then yelled out SITHMORE! YOU’RE APPRENTICE SITHMORE! He then proceeded to run away from the market as fast as he can peeing his pants along the way.

Someone must have told him my maiden name that’s the only way I figure he could find out. I always sent my letters with my married name attached. It’s of no matter. Now that I know exactly who he is and what he looks like; I made arrangements with Vyc to initiate my grand plan to make the man learn an important lesson. Cyr thinks I should feed him to my dragon friend. If I let him eat Giona he’ll most likely get such a heartburn that he would never come back to my summons, so that’s definitely a no-go. Vyc has a full and detailed description of Mr. Morton. Meanwhile I’ll think up more things for Mr. Morton to do while on ship here if my plan works out
My itch from the rats has ended but there will be consequences. Gabby insisted she examine me in her study. I had nothing loose enough except a dress for her to do it so I did the worse thing I could do. I put it on. During the examination I tried my hardest to seduce her. I’m not sure if she figured it out yet but now Gabby and Pearl who was there are a danger to me. Gods and goddesses why did you burden me with this malady. I was also quiet embarrassed when I came to my senses again.

During the examination the pain was outrageous, but my mind was so into Gabby that I did everything to ignore it. A rat like creature broke through my skin and ran away. The two of them tried to catch it but to no avail. It got away. I was in no condition to help at the time.

I should throw all my other dresses away except my moon dress, but every girl likes to feel like a girl sometimes. Even me. Besides what would I do when I want to be held.

Vyc and Talia are having some problems. Vyc adopted a young female Gnoll. When Talia found out about it. She was displeased. Her and Karra fought a bit of a war of words. I did not see Karra again, but Talia consoled in me just before ship duty. I feel Vyc can become something better than what he is now but am not naïve enough to fully trust him. He is an asset as I am one of his assets. I do nudge him time to time to think about things. If he does become a better person than very good. If not as long as he respects me, I will respect and deal with him.

I met one of the people I have been meaning to look up again, Eliezra. She told me of a secret church of Ilmater in the slums. I was intrigued. I gave her a large sum of coin to help her in her efforts. 75,000 in fact. Because I have certain connections in the slums if I visit, I will have to wear my necromancy robes. No one will challenge me in them. At least I do not think. I can be more of an asset to Cassandra if I can conduct our business (If I formally get the job I want) presenting myself differently. Especially in the close quarters of the slums.

That is all I can write now. Rest calls to me, Then the long night begins.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

At dawn the very next day, Lauriella ends her shift. The crews exchange and she goes down to her cabin. She looks at her hands with some distaste. They have gone back to her working hands. Calluses have formed and her fingers will not bend straight anymore. She calls for Arelush. When she comes, she tells her to get her a razor knife and some sperm oil from the galley.

She directs the cabin girl that the cook keeps the whale oil in a small compartment on the side. While she is fetching her needs Lauriella washes her face and arms in a bowl of clean water. She then opens her records safe and pulls out a 6-inch brass tube. it is very thin and light with a screw off cap.

When Arelush comes back with the items Lauriella gently takes them from her. She pours the sperm oil into a bowl and puts it on the state table. She then takes the razor knife and cuts off as much of the calluses as she can. Arelush winces every time she goes a spot too deep and blood trickles out of a wound. Lauriella pays little attention to it. She watches to make sure she regenerates without the bumps reforming.

When finished she soaks her hands in the whale oil for near half an hour. "For your knowledge the oil from a sperm whale can make the hands more supple. If you choose to become a sailor some day you will need it. Especially when age starts to show. You may go now. No lessons today. I am too tired."

Arelush places her fist over her heart and leaves for the galley. Lauriella brings her hands out of the bowl and uses a towel to clean them off. She then takes the tube and goes to her writing desk. She pulls out a small scroll and inks a message. She then rolls it up carefully and places it inside the brass holder. she screws the cap on tightly. "Jax! to my back!"

Her familiar flies down from the rafters and attaches itself to her back. She goes back up on deck. Taking her arm, she reaches back. Jax crawls up her shoulder and places himself upside down on his perch. She ties the tube to his leg. "Find Cassandra. and deliver the letter."

Jax flies southeast toward Conch.

That part done she goes back down to her writing desk and pens another letter. This one she leaves on her desk. Having accomplished her desires, she undresses and goes to bed for an uneasy revelry.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella wakes up from her trance at about 3 in the afternoon. She drags herself in her short clothes out of her bed and past the stateroom, grabbing the letter on her desk and tearing it up along her way to the galley. The cook is cleaning up Cyr’s crews’ lunches. She looks at the left-over crab cakes and subverts the urge to regurgitate. She sits down at the main table on the bench. The cook notices her.

“Troubles with your trancing, Mrs. Lauri?”

“Aye, Cookie. Been mean’in to talk to you anyway.”

“Coffee?”

“Nae, Chamomile tea if ye have it.”

“What on yer mind, captain?”

“Want you to stop with all the crab and lobster. Everyone getting pretty sick of it. Been thinking of throwing yer pots overboard without their buoys matter of fact. Cookie listen to some reason. I give you a good stipend for the ship lauder. We need more smoked meats and salted pork. We really need some variety. More breads and vegetables even some good fruit the first few days. I know you pinching a bit from the coffer I give you but it’s getting too much. If’in we do’na have enough meat get a fishing pole and catch a few cod or something.”

Will one of her shift men sits down beside her while they are talking. He also looks a bit ragged and tired.

“I would na pinch from you, Mrs Lauri.”

“Then what are you doing with the lauder coin?” Lauri folds her arms and leans back raising an eyebrow.”

The cook slides her tea to her and sits down resting his head in his fist's elbows on the table, “Well been meaning to tell you. Being we been away from home so long been planning a feast on the long night. It be coming three day after the full moon so thought it appropriate.”

“I do hope it’s one hell of a feast, Cookie.”

He slaps the table and laughs, “Aye, me captain. It will be one hell of a feast.”

“I still want to see some more variety as of today. We have an understanding now?”

“Aye, Cod and Herring it is then till next port.”

“Then some red meat and chicken too.”

She turns to Will who looks upset, “Something wrong, Will? Ye look upset?”

“Just Missing Jodi and the kids, Mrs. Lauri. We been here a long while now. We work’in and run’in loads now. Seems we may be here too long and we getting…. Even if we do get back what will they think of me so much older? You said you could stop what happening to us and get us back but….” He does his best to hold back the weeping, yet tears form around the corners of his eyes.

She swings her leg over the bench facing him. He drops his head into her chest, and she holds him, “It’s alright, Will. I will be going to that place I told you about soon. Covington. There is a dwarf there that can answer the rest of my questions to get you back and most likely stop the aging.

In truth I never thought about what your wives and children would think when you return. Once I take the malaise off you all I know of two potions. One is a potion of youth which will take all you back to young again. I be thinking 18 or so for a human. There also a potion of longevity that will take you back 15 years or so. Give or take. They very expensive and very rare but I will see if someone can make them for ye all.”

He nods his head as she holds him, “Now I want you to be getting some sleep knowing that If it’s the last think I do I will get you all back to your families. You know me well enough. I won’t be stopping till it’s done.
Now go back to bed and get some sleep. Dream of better things, Aye.”

“Her crewman nods one more time as she releases him. He gets up and shuffles off to the bunk room. “Thank ye, Ma’am for the reassurance.”

She swings her leg back over the bench and slumps down looking at her tea.

The cook mentions, “Some good advice, Mrs. Laurie. And for more than one person in the galley. Best finish your tea and go back to ye memories.”

“Aye, Cookie. Have to rewrite a letter first.”

Lauri finishes her tea and gets up. The cook puts his fist over his heart. Lauri recognizes him rather limply and wanders to her stateroom and her mage desk to rewrite a letter.

Dear Turbaned Associate.

It’s really sad you know. Again, you have saved us and treated us like the tools you think us. You did not save us out of some higher idea but so we could be used by you again and again. You’re archaic Netheresse milk language has betrayed your origins even if you speak near perfect Mulhorandi. This is the problem with the Netheresse Arcanist as described in my history books.

You all think yourselves as near gods. Power doesn’t make you a god. The more power you have the more responsible you need to be. And that is why I have channeled my energies to become Cassandra’s personal assistant and field agent. For behind her façade of the uncaring, seductive socialite she is secretly a good person doing an overwhelming job. Keeping track and reign on these special projects.

But then again, I get the feeling that you would not care whether she lives or dies. You are above all that. Centuries from now an arcanist with just such an attitude will bring the whole of the empire down with a single magic spell aimed at stealing the very weave from Mystra.

Your own work will come to nothing. Your name and works will be forgotten. Time will cover you completely over before I am even born.

I am a university apprentice and must report my observations to my superiors. As of now my superiors are the council itself. If you want to put a lid on what I say to the council, then put me directly under Cassandra’s wing. Then I will report to only her. Then she can edit my observations for her reports to the council.

I do not fear you like she does. For in the end, I know that there will be someone waiting for me at the Gates of the Moon or I, her.

Your threat seemed to me small and childish and nothing that a grown man would say to someone. Honey, and incentive, Sir are much better ways to deal with issues. Your ego shows in the childish manner in which you deal with others.

We do not have to be enemies. I am of the belief that there is something above the council that guides it. I am betting you are among those shadowy figures that may move the council. I am a loyal member of this University and have much experience in what you are having me do at the moment. Perhaps not about the shadow magic but in other ways.

I will do my best at the job the university has handed me, and the Job Cassandra has handed me.

I will say this. Working together demands a certain respect among participants whatever their rank and file. Learn to respect others as you would be respected.

Threats against my ship and crew were not needed. As I told Cassandra I don’t take well to childishness. My crew are innocent men. Hard working, tough as nails and they know what their jobs are but innocent. There was absolutely no need to threaten them nor was there a need to threaten my ship.

I will do my duty for the university and Cassandra. If you wish; we will discuss this more at length but be prepared for I will ask you about the parts that I do not know so that I am fully armed to deal with the university’s problems.

Thank you,
Apprentice Sithmore

She puts her pen down and re-reads it. Again, it is a hard letter but one she thinks may bear fruit to temper her problems with the mysterious figure that guides those set against the shadow stalkers. She’s put a stake in the ground. It's now up to the mysterious turbaned man to respond. Hopefully she has not overstepped her bounds with him.

Lauriella goes back to bed and into trance hoping her actions play out to make a more diplomatic partnership with the turbaned mage.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Before weighing anchor in Lachery for home Lauriella does her shipping slips up and weighs coin at the harbormaster office. Cyr comes in.

“Find anything worthy of our time, lieutenant?”

“Nothing.”

“Same as the harbormaster said. Shipping dead in the narrow sea once the north wind starts up.”

“Think you could teleport the ship and all back to the inner sea.”

“Wish, that I could. Profit will be ok to hold out the winter but. If we have to stay till next year, we’ll have to double time the shipping season.”

“Aye back home then.

Lauriella exchanges slips with the harbormaster and some pleasantries handing him two letters and some coin. The two walk out to the docks and the Moonflower. In a half an hour all the ropes are gone from the slips the sandbag bumpers are lifted and the ship sets sail for home.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella gathers her men in the Galley at breakfast time after talking to Cyr. “Alright. Everyone needs to hear this. First: Shipping lanes are closed. We hold to Southbank till spring. I’m shifting everyone to daylight hours. Remember that Sails need unrigging, Anchors greased, Tender gone over for leaks or wear. The aft needs revarnished before we settle down for wintering.

You all needs to remember even if the Mythallar keep the water from freezing we still in northern lands. Means anyone around is shutting down during the winter not influenced by the weather crystals. I’m giving everyone 24 hours to acclimate to the new ship time. Especially my night crew. Get yer sleep. Like I said still lots of work to do.

Second: I think I found a cure to the ageing. Something I should have thought of long ago. There be two potions that can in theory not only nullify the effects but can make you all younger. One a potion of youth will bring everyone back to 18-20. The other a potion of longevity will give you all back 15-20 years so almost were ye started.

Now men there’s a bit of danger to this. The first time you take one of these potions they will work 100%. The second time you take a potion of longevity there a chance it ages you the number of years instead of make you younger. The more potions you take the greater the chance it age you, and they are rare potions may not even be invented yet according to me friend Gabby. Now the potion of youth you take once then done. You try to take any age reducing potion after that you will age plus what you gained is taken away.

I’m telling you the dangers now, so you all know this is a one-shot thing. I would not take another potion after that. So, we can stop the malady and get you all back to yer natural ages.

Third: I have completed all my designs on the time device. I have collected all the materials for it, I have had my plans looked over by the only other Chronomancer, A dwarven sorcerer I know that be living. Everything checks out perfectly in his eyes. I’ll be taking the plans to a master Tinkerer in the next few weeks to have the invention made.

Now I still have to make the controlling spell which will be based on star/constellation movement over time. And I still have to experiment and make sure something living can be sent in time, the right time calculated, and go to that time alive and non the worst for wear.

I do say this lads. You may be going home as soon as this spring. Back to yer families and loved ones. Wish me luck on my experimentations.”

Cheers go up from all the men except for one. Cyr smiles but says nothing.

Lauri continues, “Ye got yourselves 24 hours. Remember the rules. No more than 3 at a time on shore leave so no one be hogging the time. Tomorrow I want everyone up and ready for work. You dismissed. Cookie coffee in my state room for Cyr and meself.”

The cook grumbles and sets a pot on the stove. Lauriella and Cyr go back to her stateroom and sit down. After Arelush brings them coffee Cyr slides the newspaper over to her. “Might be interested in the editorial, Captain. By the way how is Arelush do’in?”

She opens the paper. “I could turn her into a good sailor but was hoping she officer material. Sadly, she not. She can’t retain the higher math and will never do well in the sciences. I’ll offer her a 10-year contract if’in she wants after her 5-year contract up. This time with full sailor’s share. Would be nice to have another woman on the ship. Even with the obvious problems.”

“She probably get pregnant during this contract. She’s of age.”

“Mayhap, mayhap not. I’ll deal with it as it comes. Most likely I find a place for her and her man to stay while she pregnant and reminder she does she loose pay until she ready to ship out again. That will mean until the baby comes and is weened. Remind her of that lieutenant.”

“Aye, Captain.”

“Damn it! Someone got to that reprobate, Giona Morton, before me.”

“You can’t save everyone, captain. Besiden, it did not say he come to a bad end.”

“I know and come on Cyr. It did not say he didn’t neither. Read between the lines. Someone got to him before me. This owner whoever he is; He just covering his ass. And look at this: looking for a new editor to boot. Its ok though If I had brought him onboard would have had to pitch have me cargo out to see to accommodate his rotundness otherwise, he may have sunk the Moonflower.”

“You experienced in leading a team.”

Lauri looks at him like he’s crazy. “You do realize I’m a field agent for the university now. That would not last long if I’m a damn editor. Besiden, All Editors are smarmy, lying sons of bitches. I could not lie like that.”

“Might I remind you my captain that you were the agent in the Obsidian Shield that led a misinformation campaign in Cormyr for the city of Arable in the revolution. Don’t tell me you don’t know how to lie.”

“Was a long time ago. I a changed woman and the revolution did not turn out so well in the end.”

“Right my intrepid, Captain.”

She throws a balled-up napkin his way, “You funning me. Lieutenant?”

He sits up in his chair at attention and salutes her, “Oh I would never do that, ma’am”
They both snicker.

“Any other news I should know, Captain?”

Lauriella sighs, “Aye, Cyr. Look things getting dangerous in the university. I’m going deeper and deeper under the surface. My direct superior is in hiding. I disappear like Giona, take my plans to Gabriella. She smart enough to come up with the proper spell and have the machine made.

I do not think I’m in over me head yet, but I tell you I’m close. Depends on what my turbaned acquaintance tells me next time we meet. Then I will know for sure. The council of mages they professors all caught up in their work and experiments. But I tell you like all places there is someone or something above them. May be one man or woman. May be a Cabal of arcanist secretly guiding the council for their self-interests.

That is why Cassandra is in hiding and why she doesn’t want me to follow up on the apprentice involved in both the Rat project and the shadow stalker project. I want that apprentice Cyr. In all my life I have found few that have done eviler than this……. this villainous piece of filth.

But I must needs follow my orders in this. Cassandra is trying to protect me, that I’m pretty sure of. I’m not sure the motivations or intentions of my turbaned associate. At least not yet. He does know that he can’t scare me, but that doesn’t mean he won’t work for me now. I drew my boundaries with him. We will see if he respects those boundaries or not.”

Not only that Jax has come back to me. He has a gold band on his leg. It defies all my attempts at scrying it. I can’t identify what it does and can’t get it off him. I must expect the band is finder’s device so whoever put it on knows where I am at least when I call Jax until this little band is explained to me further by whoever put it there if it is a friend. If it’s an enemy, then I will have real problems if I call him to me. I hate working in the dark, but no one trusts me enough yet, so I don’t know who the real enemies are and who my real allies are.

Currently the only one I half trust is Cassandra. Anyway, I have two reports to write to the council. One about my time device and what I found in Covington. The other about the dark stalkers following my group to the plains and the making of a sword of light.”

“Be very careful, Captain. Do not let them suck you in too far.”

“Aye, Cyr. I’ll do me best.”

Cyr gets up and salutes her after finishing his coffee, “Best be checking on everyone. Thank ye for the update, Captain.”

Lauri stands and recognizes him. He vacates the stateroom. Lauriella goes to her mage desk and stares at the chalkboard for a moment. She looks over to her blueprints on the desk. She then erases what she has and writes along the top. A spell to transcend time itself.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Cyr comes back from shore leave at about 2hours to high moon. He looks up at the mizzen mast to see Lauriella at the top taking down the three main mast pulleys one by one with two other men. She's in her working clothes and has several tools strapped to her including the crowbar she's using to free the lines from the pulley's. He becomes angry as he always does in this situation and walks up to her first mate.

"John Calandro! What the hell is our captain doing on top of the rigging doing what her crew is supposed to be doing?!"

"Whatever the hell she wants, sir. I been with her two contracts now and she twice the sailor anyone on board is. Leave it alone lessen you want another fight. This really why the men respect her so much. So, with all due respect it not your business. You have yer own shift."

"SHE'S 350 YEARS OLD!"

John half smiles and takes a cigar out of his pocket. "Still looks in her twenties to me but then I be a human. I tell you what, Lieutenant. I'll call her down and you can say 'Captain you be 350 or so. You can't have babies anymore. Ye an elder older than dirt and should not be working with the crew. Stay at the wheel and call out your orders that be you place.' Then my good officer. After she slaps the ever living shit out of you, I'll quietly smirk when you got a fish covering your eye tomorrow."

"I hate first mates."

"That only because we the sensible ones. Never ask a woman's age or even bring it up. And never tell them what they can and cannot do because if you to you get a stick so far up yer ass you'll never get it out. and every time afterward you get in a fight, they will take that same stick and shove it farther. Women never forget something like that, sir. Especially women like our dear Captain."

Cyr grumbles, "I still need to speak to her. signal her down from there."

John signals the lantern man. It takes a while for Lauriella to notice because she is involved in shooting the shit with her men on the mast while working. She scrambles down along the Jacob's latter and comes up to them. Taking her work gloves off she asks, "There a problem gentleman?"

Cyr grits his teeth as he sees that her hair and working uniform is a mess with dirt, grease and oil. "I have news ma'am. Important news."

"Well spill it then?"

"Remember the newspaper report? How there was a cryptic message, but that Hurtsport did not mention what it was?"

"Aye?"

"I found out what it said. It said, 'Sit more, be where her port lies."

Lauriella gets concerned, "It too cryptic to be translated properly. I know this very weekend he ran from me as soon as he knew me name even if I was being nonchalant and not being aggressive to him. I have not written a letter to him in some time hoping he forget about me for me ultimate plan to teach him a lesson and show him Selunites really pose no danger but obvious he researched me and found me maiden name I use in town.

Me first instinct is that he set up something for me liken I set up for him. If so, I needs be doubly careful, especially around Southbank. It could also mean that he set me up for a fall. Lots of evidence floating around I meant him harm when I really did not. Teach him a hard lesson, yes. Hurt him, no. I do know I have to be a bit more cautious about what I do especially being an agent of the university. I hear you Cyr and will take precautions. Also have the crew be wary. I care not if I die doing me best to help out the doomed empire. I do care that me crew get back home and safe to their loved ones. I owe them that.

That being said we may have a guest in a few days for the full moon."

Cyr gets infuriated beyond his normal frustration at these times when he thinks he needs to check his captain, "Gods damn it, Lauriella! You know how...…. how vulnerable you are when you dance! You just said you need to be more cautious! What in the nine hells did you do this for! Is it because you’re so lonely and need to fuck someone? I'll buy you a good whore personally!"

John Calandro sees his captain's eyes go dark and shrouded. He does an about face and walks off before he gets caught up in any friendly fire.

Lauri's voice turns very cold and unbending, "Interesting you did'na say gigolo, Mr. Stafford. It just happens that a halfling woman a friend of mine asked me to call to Sehanine to help in a problem that could destroy the entire empire and wipe out her people to extinction. Thus, I invited her to the ceremony where I will plead with the goddess and ask her to favor an entire race not of our own for the good of Toril. Your instructions are to be that she doesn't come in line of my sight until I start the dance. I will not bend on this. You have your orders, Sir!"

"You still have not told me your dream, Captain! I am your cleric and need to know."

"I didn't dream. It is like I have always told you. We sailors. We are of no import to the greater scheme. We live our lives. We do our work. We die at sea or in our old age and hopefully move on to a better place. The gods do not see us. The gods do not notice us. We are the backbone of society the working stiffs that know our place and do our work happy in a good retirement if we get there.

I am relieving myself of duty. You will take over until I come back. I'm going to Hadrian and finding a nice human gigolo to fuck the hell out of. When I come back, I will relieve you smelling of sex and smiling. You have your orders, Mr. Stafford!"

Cyr's mouth twists in unsaid words but he sharply salutes her. She doesn't even recognize him. She walks over to the tender and takes it to town.

After she leaves John comes back, "I warned ye, I did." Cry takes over the nightshift in a dower mood.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauri is in her short cloths in her stateroom going over book after book of summoning lore and books pertaining to suspected dragon lairs within the region. She discounts any evil dragon and looks for good dragon lairs. As she is reading dusk arrives and settles in. Arelush brings coffee and she sees Cyr walking behind her. He pauses a moment in concern but walks up and salutes her.

She rises and recognizes him, "Sit down we need to speak to each other in earnest."

"Yes, Mrs. Lauri."

He sits and she joins him. He slides the paper to her. she opens it up and starts reading as she speaks to him. "I want you to listen and not say anything. I should fire you now. Every time I see the signs from my lieutenants, I usually fire them for the good of the ship. It was never anything personal. The fact of the matter is I can't fire you Cyr.

I thought someone who had cleric training would be immune to the dance and being in close quarters with me. I'm the one that did this to you. The question I have for you is can you keep it together until I can send you home?"

"Yes, Ma'am I can and will."

"Good. Look I'm an old woman and no use to you in that way. You're still young. When you go home Cyr find a young woman, make babies. Fall in love with your family. You know she will dance for you and the love you two share will become stronger. And don't forget the company either. You're a good officer. One of the best 2nds I've ever had. And you're a good person. Let us just put what happened behind us and try to deal with our situation, ok?"

He nods, "It's just that living with you so many years......."

She stops him. "I heard all this before many times and I do feel sorry for what I put my 2nds through. It's just I have to worship and because I am so vulnerable when I do I need someone to watch over me. If Zard would have made a good officer I would take him along. He is a good sailor but doesn't like the situation on ship so stays home working with Christine on the shore side.

So, we are good for now. just remember to use your harness for now on. and keep your longbow and sword by your side."

"Aye. I will."

Lauriella nods and looks at the paper again. "This is interesting. Word travels fast. You see this? This Hurtsport has called me out on using both my maiden and married name. Why would he do that?"

"I saw it too. He's being very slick about it too. Over two different issues."

"Well, if Giona knew about my maiden name I would assume his boss would to. The question is why is he showing he knows like this? Sending me a message or just calling out to others that I use both my names without specifically speaking both?

"I would instinctively say that it’s just paranoia but I saw it too and know you use both names to keep a low profile when necessary."

"It's of no matter. I have more important things on my mind other than wondering about an owner of a newspaper I'll probably never see. Right now I have so many problems a war is coming Cyr. That clone of Jeri Shallach, the one who made the rats and shadow hin. He has raised a clone army. They will march on the surrounding cities unless we stop them.

We are raising several armies to do that. That’s why all these books. I’m looking for a dragon to be an elite unit when I raise my own army in the effort. That’s if I can either convince or bribe him."

"My advice would be not to wear a dress."

"Are you kidding me!"

"Yes" They both laugh. Lauri comments, "Thank you, Cyr Nice to think we can be normal again."

"Aye, Mrs. Lauri. we can. I do know my boundaries just remember I do slip sometimes."

She sighs, "I know. Let us forget it then. Now I have already devised a defensive plan for Southbank. The way things are and if I was the opposing commander, I would take Southbank before Hadrian. It's smaller and a perfect front for attacking Hadrian at both the bridge and through the land/water route. We may have to make ready to sail again. What I plan if Southbank is attacked is use every ship that harbors here for the winter to take the populace and as much stuff as we can on the ships and have the fleet sail to harborage. Meanwhile I put clothes over my troops armor and have them disguised as common citizens. When the enemy comes knocking most likely from the stadium side but could be from the woods side to the troops go in the various shops and homes while I rain as much acid, tentacles, shadow storms, and other area spells. After I weaken them then the troops can fire and make a counterattack. It still needs a lot of refining. I can use my dragon friend and the demon I summon too. but the demon only as a last resort. I wish I knew the name of an avandorian entity I could gate but I don't. I am looking though with these books."

She thinks then tells him, "It will depend on the overall strategy those with other armies will want to do. We know the fakesha has 10,000 troops held up in 8 forts in the area, but we don't know where those forts are. It's a mess right now. I've already wrote letters to my allies and done my best to take the reins of the special projects section of the university. I will try to contact the elves and though they don’t know much about me and Selunites."

"Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, Mrs. Lauri. Best put on your necromantic uniform and work on it. I'll keep Arelush out of the stateroom tonight and set up a bunk for her in my cabin. Your intellect and analytical mind work best there. But no one wants to be around you."

"Aye, I'll do that and thank you, Cyr."

He gets up and salutes her. She recognizes him. As he leaves, she changes cloths and starts her work in earnest.
CTP team member