Lauriella's Last Dance.
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Lauriella's Last Dance.

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauri was not surprised when a decree was slipped under her door after she read it. She recognized how fast the university understood what they had done and corrected it. Though it did take a full day. She quickly writes a letter and slips it under the stateroom door. A few hours later a letter and another decree are slipped under her door.

She had been working non-stop for over a day now and planned to until she can leave ship. Her eyes have become slightly hollow and her skin color a slightly paler shade of bronze. She has started to look slightly gaunt. The crew doesn't disturb her for they know she not only working hard for the community but also for them redrawing the time machine from the original to incorporating magic resistors to the device instead of using her original idea.

She goes to the bedroom to her writing desk and pulls out her journal.

I made a play to take over the special projects section of the university. I was surprised it worked at first with Master Cresquas. It took them a little over a day to correct it. Even though I am an archmage now politics still always play a part of the game. To the university it would be like a lieutenant running a flag ship frigate, so I am not surprised. Besides that, I am a foreigner from a competing human empire.

They did extend a fig leaf in the Master Kliment would like to see me and offered me two apprentices to work with. A good deal so I handed my own over to him an old report on conjuration. I had to laugh. I told him that Cassandra was in grave danger, kidnapped and probably being used for some experiment. He did not believe me and said she was in good health according to her familiar.

In his second decree his tune changed. I'm betting he will be asking me what I know of the situation. We'll see.

I've come to realize that If I stay here, I will need a man and a woman companion. I haven't seen a man yet that even comes close to my standards. There are however three women I have an interest in. One is hard to keep tabs of. A young Amaunator priestess. The other two Cassandra and Eliezra are both also extremely good people. One humble and shy and self-conscience even though she may become one of Conch's champion warriors one day. The other a public socialite but when she takes off her mask changes drastically.

Lauriella pauses and laughs saying, "I wonder when she realizes she is not the only one that wears masks unfortunately I cannot control mine." She continues writing.

I received a letter back from the mayor of Southbank. He is depending upon the enclave to protect the city. It’s both a good assumption but also a bad one. The enclave may or may not protect Hadrian and Southbank however we do need to prepare. War is a devastating thing. This is my home now and we need to prepare. I don’t think he will listen to me until things get really bad unfortunately. If they get bad here but he is forcing me to think more offensively than defensively. I must remind myself that if the battle comes to Southbank and the city is unprepared. Cyr will have to set sail for Harborage or Ascore. I do not want to risk the Moonflower of my crew over this war.

I screwed up so badly in the revolution of Arabel. I worry that I will do the same here. Watching men and women die because of mistakes you made is the hardest of lessons. It changes you forever. Losing a mate in battle is even worse. Forgive me Ava. I must study until I can compensate for every contingent. I refuse to let men who will trust in my leadership be slaughtered wholesale. I must find a way to protect my army like I have protected my crews these centuries.

Finding an amicable dragon will help much in this effort. That is if I can and somehow get him to agree to join us. I will also need one or two officers to carry out my orders. Most like two. One should be a cleric. I'll have to see if I can get a high cleric of Selune or Sehanine to be one officer. I don’t know about the other. perhaps one of these apprentices that Master Kliment offer, but I think that will be redundant. I will wait to send other letters until things get more urgent. I know i will want some elven archers and sorcerers from Covington. I will also need warriors. There is just so much to go over and I still don’t know if I may be able to attract all of these people.

I must keep going over everything until I am confident in myself that I can do this and think i am competent enough to lead an army.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauri sits in a chair at the bow sipping moonshine late at night. Now that the Moonflower is wintering most of the men are asleep all except her first mate who pulls up a chair beside her. Lauriella's silk shirt is dirty from work and her pants are torn at the thigh from slipping on a sail hook in the rain. Though there is no scar for her ring of regeneration has taken care of the laceration.

"Mind me pulling up a chair, Lauri?"

"Suit yerself I just be enjoy’in the tide and the quiet night."

"Aye, you look as old and tired as I feel. want me to get cookie out of bed?"

"Nae. let him rest. It will just irritate him."

"Ye look sick."

"Just stress. Too much come together. got to make my priorities that that means all of you."

"More than that I reckon. Want to tell me about it?"

Lauriella takes her finger and dips it in the moonshine. she then traces the rim making it sing while she thinks. "Not sure I can explain it. When that mad mage Jeri explained to us there going to be a war. I was all for it. maybe a chance to get that bastard clone of his. So, I sent letters trying to get people to come to my banner. Sent letters warning people war was coming and made a play to fill the void Cassandra left. So, I could add those projects to the war effort. I thought it was a longshot you know but did succeed for about a day till the university put the hammer down.

I didn't see that much of a problem. Figured they would do it but had to make the play you know. The real problem start when I was looking up maps of these cities trying to figure out how the enemy would come at us if they took the offensive.

As I was drawing out plans Ava's face kept popping in me mind among other things. Orcs dragging women and children out of houses and dismembering them right outside their doors. Me on the ramparts while the kobold plane touched mages worked through me magic shields. The slaughter in the palace.

Ignored it best I could and kept going. Met Eliezra at the patio bar. while I tried to get her to join the army, I kept seeing her as Ava. Me hand started trembling. Kind of glad she decided not to join. She’s a sweet girl got the short end when some psychopath used her. Ever since then I try to concentrate on anything doing with this upcoming war my hands would shake.

So sent more letters. The last was to the Church of Selune. I asked for a single cleric to advise me. They tell me to fuck off. Nicely of course. But still the same. That was the sign I knew that Selune don't want me in this war. That somehow, I fuck it up like the last time. She rejected me. As before. but then again....

John finishes her statement, "I am of no import to the greater scheme"

She turns her head to meet his eyes, "Aye. Since been an archmage been getting a taste of real power. Selune must be unhappy to slap me down hard. It's ok I deserved it.

Anyway, that was just before the meeting with Kliment. He dressed me down and I knew he would but you know us sailors we build our men back up after dressing them down, so they do better. He didn't have nothing good to say about me. And he tried lying to me again twice. actually thrice. said in decree that Cassandra was fine and my war a fantasy when it obvious it not. Then in decree changed his mind and said she very sick. Then tried telling me she fine again at the meeting.

I will never trust Kliment again."

"Think he an agent of this Jeri Shellach."

"He a necromancer but not anything like me. I would nae put it past him and the fact he try to convince me the truth not the truth in the meeting probably makes him in cahoots with Jeri. As far as Cassandra. I think she gone, or Jeri change her for his own maniacal pleasure of experimentation. I think she lost to us."

She takes a sip of moonshine and continues, "Seems every time I start caring for someone, they taken away from me. Alluin, Ava, Cristine, Zard now Cassandra. Might just go down to the conch slums and hit Eleizra on the back of the head and kidnap her just to keep her safe."

"You aren’t going to do that though. You too good of a person. But I know what ye have. Battle sickness. Comes when veterans seen too much."

"I been in plenty of battles before."

"Aye you have but have ye been in a war since? war different you know. Large scale slaughter and some the evilest deeds happen in war."

"Ye right John, I not been in a war since then. before yes by record but have no memory of it."

"Don't know anyone ever got over it neither but if anyone can it be our captain. I say ye put yer regular uniform on. Rent a Cat and so some sailing be yerself. maybe find an island fore ye cute red head."

"I'm not fucking her, John."

"Maybe you should or maybe I get there first. that none the main thing though. Way I see it ye made two mistakes. We sailors. We got us one law that the regulations of the Merchant fleet. We got us one captain whose word is law on ship. We not like these landlubbers with all their politics. each captain the same and if we fleet each commander the law of the captains. It all be sensible. These ground pounders they make no sense with all their ins and outs and who on top and who on bottom. It all confusing to us.

Second you been a captain now more than half the centuries ye live. Ye use to command and being you still alive makes me think you a good one. whether in war or on ship. But you use to being a captain and giving the orders. You expect to be at the top. Besides have a look in the mirror. We all know ye old and experienced. They see some 20-year-old girl still wet behind the ears. Don’t even know how to relate to you age and ours. they do nae see it that way.

Lauriella thinks a moment, "If'n I was human I would be......48-50 years old."

And hear some human mage probably a 10th of yer age telling a matriarch of a successful merchant family and an archmage to boot how she should be doing things."

"Wasn't exactly like that but I hear you John."

"But I also have to admit. You goddess gives you a sign to keep away ye should keep away. You always been a righteous and humble woman to the gods Lauri even when they fuck ye up the arse. I say listen to them signs. Besiden, we like our Captain safe to ye know. Question is what ye going to do now?"

"Think I give the order to load up enough food and water for refugees in case Southbank get attacked and sacked. Have enough for 300 people to make it to Harborage. Meanwhile I'll take these plans to that gnome village and find me a master tinker for my machine. maybe take that cat to find an island for Gabby. and make those spells to get the machine running."

"I'll tell the Lewy yer wishes." He pauses. "You and he be having some troubles of late?"

"He just getting like the rest. I would be firing him, but I can't and he a good officer."

"He'll be the 5th over me two contracts. Shame that elven magic you girls have over men when ye dance that dance. wish I could take a gander sometime."

"Think maybe I should get a gay lieutenant sometime but then I see him tip-toeing along the deck singing bawdy show songs and think that will sure strike confidence in the crew. Besiden I would have to belt the men as well as the women."

John looks aghast, "Don't think you can be belting a man."

"I'll do it meself. Sure, I can figure it out with a little hammering and stretching."

"Ouch! don’t be gettin a gay lieutenant. Probably castrate the whole of us. Damn sure ye ain’t wearing yer necromancer robes underneath?"

"Nae, would be funny though a bunch of belted men on the ship. Would show ye what we women go through," She smiles.

"Now that's what I be looking for a genuine smile from our captain. Brightens the men’s' day you know."

"Aye."

The two end up sipping moonshine and watching the stars to the early morning hours: Quietly enjoying the listing of the gentle harbor tides.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes onboard two hours before dawn drunk as a skunk. Cyr gets her to bed rather quickly and has Arelush watch over her. Cyr wasn't sure that was the best of ideas being Lauri is in her working clothes but figure she won't come out of trance before the cabin girl gets some sleep herself.

When Lauriella wakes up two hours after dawn the ship is already underway according to her orders. They are to stock up on flour, dry goods, pickled goods and salted meats. any non-perishable food they can get their hands on before the war becomes too obvious and the prices of surrounding city states go through the roof. She plans on acquiring 100 tons of food to be quietly warehoused in the various cities that have been threatened by attack. Gabriella was handling the land logistics. Lauriella's job is to get the food and supplies to port.

She goes up to see Cyr at the wheel. She puts the rudder lock on and calls everyone to the galley. As they gather, she begins to write up the duty roster for the run. Many of the crew quietly talk to themselves and occasionally snicker including Cyr. She looks up to them.

"All right you juvenile delinquents, what be so funny?"

Jonny Rae is the first to speak up, "Begg'in your pardon captain. Just wondering why that young gigolo come running out of yer stateroom and dash himself overboard so fast? Cyr said he was about 18 in elven age. What he do? Misfire?"

Another crew member chimes in while she's staring daggers at them. "Aye our old witch of the inner sea should be changing her name. Should be old cougar of the inner sea."

She looks up again from her roster, "You all done or should I be adding more to the ship roster for dock duty while everyone else on shore leave? Matter of fact that wasn't a gigolo. He a young mage don't know nothing about being a man yet. His name is Celorin. He just got scared of his own prick. Might I remind ye: I had to explain to some of you about the birds and the bees, stick a few silvers in ye hands and send you to the first port brothel I could find when yer bunks started waking me up in the middle of the day."

Another crew member fakes an aghast look upon his face, "Boys! Our Beauty got denied...... By an 18-year-old virgin!"

Another in the back cuts in, "told you, she should have shaved her mustache. where's me coin?"

Lauriella rubs her head and flips the roster to Cyr whispering to him to finish it. She puts her hands on her hips.

"Har, Har! Ye all had ye laughs. Please do continue. I got me important news here that may save yer lives. You all targets because some asshole mage wants to make an example out of me. I'm too damn tired right now and I've got a worse headache than when I wake up. Bugger off, the lot of ye! I'll talk to ye at dinner when ye calm yer asses down."

She flips them off as she leaves which brings more laughter from the men.

At dusk Lauriella is up. Arelush is helping her dress in her standard captain's uniform. She helps Lauri with her make up and puts her hair into dreadnaughts. After Lauri puts her overcoat on, she stares at herself in her full-length mirror. Arelush takes a ceremonial sword off the wall and puts it on Lauri with its hip strappings. "The lieutenant asked me to make sure you have this, Ma'am. I don't know why?"

The captain sighs a moment and looks down at her feet. She takes a deep breath and stares in the mirror again almost looking agitated, "I know why, Arelush. Best not ask too many questions on why one day I wear something and another I wear something else. Just the way things must operate. Could you be a good sailor and call everyone in the galley for me?

"Aye, my lady." she looks up at Lauri who is looking straight into her eyes. "Captain, I mean Captain."
"Lauri nods to her."

As Arelush makes for the deck she quickly looks back to see Lauriella staring into the mirror again."

When Lauriella comes to the Galley the men immediately quite down. The cook takes one look and goes back to making breakfast for her men and dinner for Cyr's team.

"Ok everyone, gave ye a day to have ye fun. Time to know what we are doing and why we doing it. Refugees filling up the cities down south and they hurting for food. This isn’t a profit run this is a mercy run. I'm the one footing the bill. Means you be getting standard pay with no share. Sorry, but we got to help the cites we live around. I don't mind ye complaining a bit but ye still get yer pay. Some of ye may know war and the hardship it cause. Those that do know we doing the right thing. That will be the end of it.

"Aye, Captain!" Some still look disappointed.

They say those giant crystals along shore keep the water warm but we going to Ascore the northern end of the narrow sea. There may be bergs. Most you haven't seen one or more. A berg a hell of a lot bigger under the water than above. We try going full sail through them they could rip the sides out of the haul even if we got us 10inch hardwood ribs. So, anyone! I mean anyone see one we set the tenders in the water and pull the moonflower till we out of them.

We'll only make a knot or two till we clear but we won't be sinking our girl. She'll bounce off anything rather than get ripped to shreds.

"Aye, Captain!"

There has been a threat to everyone here. It's bad so I'm telling ye all up front. Some mad mage made a copy of me but different. She look like me and a cross of some demon pirate slut bitch. Problem is she somehow got copies of me research and probably can cast magic near as well as me.

I found her lab. In it she has specific ways she was going to torture each and every one of you when she defeats me and takes the ship. Including you Arelush. I or one of me land companions going to kill her eventually but that mean you all in danger. I want marshal drills start with each crew every break for now. I know it’s going to be tough on ye but ye get 12 hours off to rest.

This a serious thing. worse happens and she gets to you. You fight to the death cause what's in store is worse than death. And ye know that she have to kill me first to get to you. Remember that. Dying honorably in combat quick better than anything she has in store for ye. I'll start training Arelush meself. When women fight, we fight a whole lot differently than ye men.

I wish this not so. I been able to keep me crew out of conflict for as long as can remember. This mad mage got a thing for me though along with our ship and all of you. Might just winter in Ascore just to keep ye safe but know the cities need us.

If any want to bow out of contract now I do na blame ye but also have to think about what I unleash to the future history so ye have to stay in contact so I can send yer home.

So, speak now if the fear in ye hearts outweigh the bonds of ship and crew."

Lauri waits several minutes. No one speaks and most of her men look angered. She looks to Arelush who sits with a completely neutral face. Lauri cannot read her.

"Good. I have no malice to anyone not wanting to move on as crew, but I see I build a fine family to the man or woman. I am the one honored to be your captain. Dismissed."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella is disappointed as she loads but 25 tons of supplies from Ascore. The shipping lanes are mostly closed as winter storms drive most cargo and caravan merchants to port for the winter. The Moonflower was designed to the best of her ability for all contingencies except for breaking through winter ice. Luckily with the Mythallars spread across the narrow sea she has not had to deal with that. but she has had to deal with a surprising number of squalls. She has been delayed in both acquiring a full load of goods and by weather. She will not return without a full load so she decides if she cannot in Harborage, she will sail south to Zenith to pick up the remainder. Zenith is a farming community and will have much of what she needs for Gabriella and the whole of the southern cities.

Near dawn the last of the shipment is loaded and she sets out of harbor working her way around the dwarven stone ships. A few miles out the sun breaks the horizon, and she hands the wheel to Cyr as the shift changes. She goes down to her stateroom and washes herself with sponge and a bowl of clear water in her short clothes. When she is somewhat clean. She goes to her mirror and studies herself for near 15 minutes and makes a decision. Going to her bedroom and to her writing desk she pens an entry into her old private journal.

Wisemen often say that life is a journey of self-discovery, self-understanding. Since my accident. Since I knew the memories of my early years would never come back, I have little time to explore this concept. There was always a need for my services when on land, A company to build and rebuild here, A wife and husband to please, A lost love to write, log entries, paying employees. Sailing to make profit.

I have always wondered why I am so different than everyone else. Why am I so religious? Why do I change slightly by what I wear? Why sometimes so drastically with the seeming inability to control it. Why always seeking out emotional support and relationships? Why I am hardly affected by fear. Why at the same time being humble before the gods yet arrogant towards other mortals depending upon my dress.

I believe I have found the answer and this answer frightens me. I believe I know why Jeri is so obsessed with destroying me. I believe that in a way I am a reflection of him. A reflection that chose a different path that although I could become just like him, I chose a higher path. Instilling in myself such discipline in my life while being flexible with others that I do more to the good than evil in the world. Where he has given into the depravities of self.

Sometimes it's hard to look oneself in a mirror when knowing the truth and the truth came to me as I studied my own magic made by another. A copy of myself mixed with demon blood. Is not your own magical signature a mirror? A mirror more exacting than any piece of glass? For your magic comes from your soul and mind.

My magic is so cool and analytical. There is no true passion in its wielding. There is no heart put into it. Someone once told me that magic is a tool. The tool can be used for good or evil. Every spell including undead necromancy is merely a way to do good or evil in the world, and in certain circumstances evil magic can be used for the highest of purposes.

In part I believe this. I make use of demonology because I have not found its reverse in gating in creatures for, I have never found a name of an appropriate creature from a higher plane. That does not change what I have seen in myself.

Understanding self is a two-edged sword. You see all your higher attributes of soul however you see the depths of your own insanities, your own faults and misguided ideas.

Everyone wonders of self and why the way they are from time to time in life and I have asked these questions without truly exploring as most people do. I believe I have some understanding now. The reasons why I am so attuned to the positive and negative planes. For they are pure energies. why mathematics plays so much within all my magic.

Mathematics, physics and engineering are combinations of unfeeling and cold hard truths. It either is or it is not. It either works or does not. All quantifiable by cold hard equation. A tradesman, artist breathes life into what he creates through passion of dream. This I cannot do. Thus, I am like very much like the one my friends and I ultimately seek to destroy. It is why I seek love and relation wherever I go so seemingly passionately. It is why I seek mates of honor, courage and have a deep bond with society. It is because I am always in need of a mate to look up to. Someone better than I. I am always in need to feel those strong feelings for love of another. Only once did that happen. It was with Alluin who saved me along that shore in the Dalelands. The one I Truly love and will wait for at the entrance of the gates of the moon. Yet now I even question this love for is it truly love or some concept that I have conceived to delude myself.

I must feel love on some level for every time I think of this upcoming war, I see Ava's body broken and lifeless on the cobblestones in front of the palace of Arabel. I still weep for her two centuries after. I fear that one day things will be too much, and I fall into my depravities much like my adversary has. Denouncing the gods, only thinking of self and self-interest without any regard for others. These thoughts prey upon my every waking moment now. My trances only go back now to the memories of my mistakes and willing machinations against others for the so called good of the community. Were all these things truly for the good of the community? I cannot assess this at this time.

Time will tell what becomes of the rest of my life and where my soul goes. The only thing I can do is but move forward with this new awareness of my maladies. I pray Sehanine has mercy upon my soul in the end and I will endeavor to keep her edicts and my vow to her. In that I may end life in peace.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

At 2300 Lauriella locks the rutter and helps the crew set up tables on the deck of the moonflower along with a circle of chairs where more can be added when needed. She then hands the wheel off to her 1rst mate John Calandro going to her bedroom to wash up quickly and dress in her working clothing.

When she comes back up the anchors are down and most of her shift is sitting around drinking surprisingly Cyr is there along with five of his crew. She greets them and sits down. Cyr leads them in a short prayer to Selune, Reflection begins with Lauriella telling her men a story.

Cry then stands. “I had me a great uncle lived near a fey wood. For all I know he may still be there. He’s a crotchety old coot and a warlock to boot. Well, I visited him just before I come to Mulhorand to sign with the company, and he told me a story. So here goes.”

“He heard something outside and being no one visits him he walk out and find another moon elven. She was a pretty thing with bright red hair and green eyes. Surprising really since most us moon elves don’na have red hair.

So, he take his pipe out of his mouth and asks her, “What does a young maid such as yourself want with an old elf such as I?"

"A place to stay for a few weeks, months, until I am done with my tasks. I have trade coin."

"Have no use for trade coin here girl. You'll have to do better than that."

"In my studies I have heard that warlocks like to conserve their energies. I could light the fires. clean the house do all the things a maid does while staying. Also, potions to ease an old one's bones. I could also make a good meal: save you from the day-to-day chores."

Well, seeing that she wore a certain pendant of a sect he knew she was a vegetarian. "No meals from you, no, thank you girl. I like a good rabbit with my breakfast. I don't suppose you be willing to get me one. Besides that. I hate the taste of mushrooms. What's your name?"

She narrows her eyes. Her fingers go into a pouch. He takes note of it without moving, "Rosemallow."

Now me uncle new that was a bold-faced lie. So he say, "Don't want the name you gave yourself. I want your given name, girl?"

"Aiauta."

Well, my uncle seen a lot of things being he older than most the trees in the forest. He knew she was something like royalty in another kingdom from her name which translate roughly to something like royal transmuter. "So. You are Transmuter Or will be when the time comes."

"H...…….How! Are you...……" He waves her off, "No, I'm not. I'm just old and seen more things than most. You can stay. You can stay if you go and do all those things plus two more. First, Tell me what you really doing on the reaches of the fey wood. Second, I want you to teach me a few spells. Of your magic not the elven magic or the damn magic the humans embraced. Your magic in your language. That's my price. Take it or leave it, princess or whatever you call yourself nowadays."

Well, that young maid she frown and concentrate a moment thinking about it. Seems this sect of elves keep them magics real close to themselves. At first, she tries to divert him. "There are no princes or...……." But he cuts her off.

"I'm losing my patience, girl. What you here for?"

Knowing she lost the argument that girl just sighs and says, “"I just want to bake some apple pies."

Well for a moment me uncle quite confused then remember she a transmuter and gives off a hearty laugh pointing his finger at her. "Transmuter! Right! can't get a simple spell to work for you. Ha! I'll enjoy this. You can sleep on the couch. Remember your promises to me. Don't suppose I could see you for real from under that spell you got on you?”

"No. It isn't in the contract, Warlock."

"Didn't think of it till now. Alright set yourself up. You can stay."

My uncle watches her the next morning place a fresh pie onto an iron plate and places a cage of dwarven craftsmanship on top locking it down with wing nuts. She takes it and starts to walk off the porch.

"You think you'll even find them, princess."

"They can't resist."

"It'll be cold for they smell the damn thing."

Her eyes turn to him. She smiles and touches the iron plate saying an incantation. The plate starts to glow red. cooked apples and cinnamon fills the air, along with a hint of nutmeg.

He takes the pipe out of his mouth and points it at her, "Human magic. I thought better of the great sorcerers."
Her eyes sharpen a moment. They become angry, " They are their own people. Unique in their own way."

"Maybe you don't remember lassie. Too young. But I remember. They will always be little more than animals.”

My uncle remembered when humans weren’t so civilized. “It does not matter the humans can and do enslave themselves showing they barbaric. They are weak and short lived. They don't have time enough to find the greater things in life. Think that fancy cage going to stop the mad fairies do you." He chuckles and waves her off.

She turns her head rather sharply and walks into the woods. Late in the evening she comes back pie in hand still in the cage. She finds him in his rocking chair smiling, "Don't worry princess. Eventually they will find you."

"Stop calling me that! I'm no princess."

The old elf smiles and places his pipe in his mouth, "Well now you done for the day there you can start to keep your promise here."

For two weeks the young moon elven bakes a pie in the night goes out with it in the morn and comes back late afternoon. My uncle taunts her with a whole array of discussions. He offers her venison, insults her intelligence, her cults customs. Every night she ignores him goes in and does the housework as if she lived alone.

On the 15th day she comes back pie in hand covered head to toe in mud. The cake also covered in mud. He laughs, "Finally find them did you. I don't see one with ya, princess."

"I still have one thing old elf of the woods."

"What's that?"

"I still have my pie." giving him a wicked smile, just before she goes in the door and shuts it."

"I expect you be cleaning up all that mud young lady!"

The next day she comes back drenched. Some parts even show a little more than they should. My uncle laughs hard, "Aye you a true beauty, princesses and I see you don't have your pie this time do you."

"Nor they old elf. It dissolved. Too bad for them."

The old man laughs as she goes in the door.

The next day when she comes back the warlock laughs even harder. Her hair has been turned to leaves and she doesn't know it.

"What are you laughing about now."

"Now there's a sight to see a wild elven princess with the hair to match."

She feels her hair, sighs and shakes it. The leaves turn back to the silky red hair she came to him with.
The old elf laughs, "Now that's the old magic I'm interested in."

She prances up the stairs to the cabin, "As you well know old elf. You can't have that one piece of magic."

"You still have a promise to keep, princess."

She turns and walks in the door.

For another three months the young elf comes back partially charmed, bedazzled, once naked except of course for the pie, "Got to hand it to you, princess. You got spunk. So, what do you have to wear now? You keep going you won’t have any clothes and have to live like a nymph."

"I have more clothes and besides, I still have my pie."

The old elf just shakes his head as she goes up the stairs trying to hide herself with the pie plate.

Then one afternoon everything changed. She comes up the path and upon her shoulder is a creature the size of a cat with butterfly wings. long slim leather straps fall from its ankle. It’s platinum wings fluttering time to time for balance. The young moon elven walks up to my uncle with a proud smile upon her face. The weird dragon like creature munches sticky apple pie from her fingers.

He smiles at the young elf, "So you did it princess. Finally got one of them to join you. Have you made the bond yet?"

"Her name is Nym."

"Thought I saw a gold tinge in the wings. good on you. Expect you will be leaving soon. there is of course the question of final payment."

"I know." She walks in the door. A half-hour later she comes back ready for travel with two scrolls in her hand. She hands them to the warlock, "I trust you can read them?"

Undoing one of the scrolls he studies it intently, "I'm rusty of course but yes, I can read it."

"I'll be going now." She starts to walk off the porch when the old elf says, "Hold on just a moment, there princess."

She turns around the dragon aggravated by the swift move unbalances her. She lands in the dirt. Both dragon and elf laugh. She dusts herself off, "What is it?"

"Just so happens I got me something that's more important to you and yours than me and mine." He pulls something out of his vest carefully wrapped in parchment paper and extends his arm for her to take it. She walks back up the porch accepting it from him.

Opening it up she finds an ink well. She examines it and looks to him mystified.

"There are some things more important than magic young lady. That is an ink well taken from a plantation by a slave over a thousand years ago. Maybe two thousand. That ink well started a revolution that was the downfall of an entire race. Look at the bottom of it.

The woman looks to the bottom and is stunned. Tears fill up her eyes as she traces the runes that mark a name in an ancient language, "Thank you."

My uncle smiles, "I knew you had heart princess. Good that you relish the past too. Wasn't mine to keep you know. Just waiting for the right person to come along. Now get you going off my property. No need for one such as you lingering around seeing what I be doing at night."

She throws a kiss to the old elf, turns and makes her way into the woods with her new companion. The old warlock sucks on his pipe and smiles for the quiet company these last few months.

“I think he told me that story cause it’s a story of persistence. She stayed with him for months and would not give up until she got herself her little pet dragon. Don’t think I told that one yet but being our situation, I think it appropriate. And if I hadn’t been persistent in officer school, I would not be here with all of you now. Glad he told me that story.”

The rest of the circle raised their mugs and glasses then drink to him as he sits down. Lauri stands up.
“We sailors often lose sight of persistence. I know I do. We all know the say’in when the ship sails all debts are paid, but sometimes……….”

Lauriella’s glass drops out of her hand. As the glass breaks upon the deck her eyes roll to the back of her head. She falls to the deck in convulsions.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella wakes up in her bedroom There are a crowd of people in her cramped quarters. Cyr is sitting in a chair holding her hand. She looks around to see John, her first mate, who looks not more than 20 years old now. There is a moon elven priestess of Sehanine there along with a stoic looking Sun elven male in what looks like some form of official robes.

She tries to sit up, but Cry pushes her back down. “Captain, you need to rest.”

“Screw that, Cry. What’s going on and what are these elves doing on me ship? Her eyes soften somewhat, and she asks if everyone is, ok?”

“Aye, Mrs. Lauri everyone is ok, and these elves are here to help.” He turns to the elves. “My pardons Chancellor and Dreamwalker. Captain Sithiir was always around humans most of her remembered life.”

The sun elven gives him a slight nod, “We know. I have seen and given my council to Dreamwalker Tra’ia.”
Lauriella looks to Cyr for an explanation.

“This is Dreamwalker Kaylea Tra’ia and Chancellor Elural Mer’ra ambassador to Ascore for the empire of Cormanthor. They came as soon as they knew an elven archmage was in trouble.”

“It’s just stress how long have I been out?”

“Two weeks, captain. I turn back to Ascore soon as you fell. Everyone has been worried about you.”

“TWO WEEKS! We have to get back there’s war brewing. The cities need supplies.”

He squeezes her hand, “Captain. You need to listen to them. But I wanted to say. Your theory of a potion of youth was right. It healed the men from the chronomancy sickness. The elves procured them from their capital city.”

She looks at him queerly, “And just why would Cormanthor help us?”

Cyr puts his head down giving the chancellor time to speak, “To be truthful archmage Sithiir, your lieutenant traded your technology for it. He thought you were on your death bed, and in truth you are in a way. Or should I call you by your countrymen’s title Hemet Netjer?”

“Just call me Lauri.”

The dreamwalker whispers to the Chancellor, “She is the mother now. I can feel the change when she woke up.”

The chancellor nods and again concentrates on Lauriella, “Let’s start with the good news. Your men are free from their time displacement. When we came at the behest of the government of Ascore as soon as we saw your ship and its technology. The handheld sextets, the construction of the ship itself, what it was made of the water clocks and other instruments so far in advanced to even our own we knew we had to get our government involved.”

Cyr whispers to her, “You should see their ship. It flies and looks like a giant butterfly.”

She looks a bit distant for a moment and looks back at the chancellor, “Anything else you stealing from me?”

He clears his throat in some irritation, “We were privy to your spell theories, Mrs. Sithiir and we had to go into your thoughts and memories. I have a good grasp on enchantments and went into your mind to try to heal you and found out about what’s going on with you………Why you had a seizure.”

“Well, go on then. It’s not like I had a choice, did I?”

This time it is Kaylea who speaks. “Mrs. Sithiir you were never cursed by the gods. Your problems are in two parts. The injury to your head some two centuries ago your time and your memory loss. Which was intentionally caused.”

Lauri just stares at her with her mouth open.

This time the chancellor speaks. “When I went into your mind, I found your memory was locked by powerful enchantments. I was only able to unlock a very small part of your memory. See if you can think back to the day you woke up.”

She closes her eyes and thinks back. “I feel a searing pain in my head. Sand under me. I hear the surf. I lift my arm and find my head is wrapped with bandages. There are open clams on a log beside me and a canteen of water. I try to get up and end up spitting up bile from the pain.”

The Chancellor nods. “Now try to think back just a little further.”

Lauriella attempts to think back further and for the first time sees and feels a vision. “I’m lying on my side. I feel nothing, cannot move my limbs. A giant insect comes into my view. It looks…. looks like a giant metal dragonfly. It lands about 50ft away.”

She pauses a moment giving time for the chancellor to say, “It’s a machine called a damselfly. Go on I have seen this memory it is one of only two I have been able to unlock”

She concentrates. “I see a strange woman come out of its belly. She is tall and wears the robes of a Mulhorandi enchantress. She………She is Hemet Netjer but also has hair Long silver hair and her skin is sky blue………I have never in my life seen someone like this. Is this a celestial or something? Her eyes are silver. She’s bending over to my ear.

She’s whispering something, “Lauri, what did you do to yourself? I don’t know if I can fix this, but I will try. I am so sorry, but I must make you forget me to forget all of your past life. You must forget all the special magic I taught you. You would not understand but I as all my people are hunted. I cannot have you knowing me after this. If you live go and make a new life.”

Lauri pauses and then says, “She’s making a circle around both of us, and she has a diamond…. she’s casting…………. It’s dark.”

She looks up at the two of them confused.

The Dreamwalker speaks. “We believe the person you saw is something that is called a High Ogre. They are very magical creatures. Most now live on the astral plane where magic is unhindered. A few come to have their children here meaning Toril where it is relatively safe for them being that they are also natural shape changers. Those that hunt them for their skin or to enslave them have a means to see through the shape change but hardly come to toril to find them.

We believe she was your first teacher in magic. We also believe she is the cause of your memory loss.”

Lauriella rubs her forehead, “Why would she do that I am of no import to the greater scheme.”

The dreamwalker frowns, “All under Sehanine’s light are of import Lauriella. To answer your question as far as we know it was to protect herself. She was in her true form so you must have known her true form. Therefore, you may have been a threat damaged as you were……are.”

“What do you mean are?”

The chancellor looks to her sadly, “And here comes the other problem, Mrs. Sithiir. What you did damage with your head injury. Try as she may and with as much expertise as she may have had this person the enchantress could not put your skull completely back to wholeness. She left tiny bone splinters in your brain.

It is what gives you your multi personality disorder. It’s also why you have an iron will like a trained monk and your general emotions are dulled.”

Lauri looks at Cyr and slaps him, “How dare you! I trusted you to keep my secrets!”

Kaylea rushes the bed and pins Lauriella’s back against the headboard by her shoulders. “Calm down or I’ll make you sleep! It’s not your lieutenant’s fault. If you need someone to blame, blame the chancellor.”

She stares daggers at the Dreamwalker, “I always know who I am.”

The Dreamwalker stares into Lauriella’s eyes with both sternness and pity, “But you cannot help be the representation of the clothing you wear. Now you are the mother, there is the Captain, The engineer, the maiden, the necromancer and others in your head. You compartmentalized your brain to these things so you could maximize the undamaged part of it. Even if you didn’t know it. It is a brilliant survival strategy. May I let you go now, Hemet? Or will I have to sedate you?”

Lauriella’s shoulders slump, her face reddens from grief and guilt. She turns her head to the side not wanting to meet anyone else’s eyes. She breaths heavily and wipes a tear from her eye before she turns to face them again, “So I’m insane. You going to take me to some prison for people like me now. Take me from my home?”

The chancellor smiles for the first time, “On the contrary, Mrs. Sithiir. You took charge of all of this and leaned to handle it. We would like you to come to Cormanthor for us to study you. It would be a grand help for others with disabilities similar to your own.”

“Sir I have supplies to get to Hadrian and Southbank as soon as I may. There is a war coming.”

“You need to hear me out first, Mrs. Sithiir. Those bone splinters have been migrating deeper and deeper into your brain. That is why you had your seizure. If you continue in your stressful life as an adventurer. They will migrate all that much faster. You will be dead in 2 to 5 years.”

“Now that I know what’s wrong, I am sure it can be fixed.”

The Moonwalker shakes her head, “Mrs. Sithiir. The injury was so long ago that your body thinks these splinters are a normal part of your body. No amount of healing, regeneration or even death and resurrection can heal them. If you continue to adventure, you will die within 5 years. If you don’t, you may live another hundred or hundred fifty years. No more.”

Lauriella looks downtrodden.” I would like everyone to leave now. I am tired and need to go to trance.”

Cyr looks to her, “Please let me stay, Captain. I want to be here if you need anything.”

Lauri just huffs and lays back while Cyr again takes her hand. The others quietly leave to the stateroom.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes out of her bedroom in her dress uniform. There are several people there including the Chancellor and the Dreamwalker, Cyr, John Calandro and Cyr’s first mate along with Arelush who is waiting on people. She carries a thick folder in her hand. When her men see her, they put their fists over their hearts in salute and slightly bob their heads. She recognizes them.

The Dreamwalker whispers to the Chancellor. She speaks up, “That will be enough of that on my ship. Everyone here knows I have a problem. Deal with it yourselves as my crew has dealt with it. I don’t need to hear all the whispering around me. Let me remind you that I still own this ship and am her captain: At least for the moment.

Now please sit down at the conference table. Dreamwalker to my right and Chancellor to my left if you please.”

Everyone sits. She takes the head of the table while opening the folder. Lauri takes some time to gather herself then speaks to all.

“I would like to thank our elven guests. They not only cured my crew. They have given me a great boon. While in trance I saw the face of my baby daughter for the first time. Hopefully Sehanine has her in her arms. Thank you both.”

Both her guests close their eyes a bow their heads slightly.

Lauriella looks at her folder, “I need to tie up something before we start any diplomatic negotiations. I am elven of course but am steeped in the human culture of Mulhorand. Therefore, we will have to negotiate any other relations with the elven kingdom.

“Chancellor Me’ra are you authorized to negotiate with the crew of the Moonflower II and her captain?”

“I am Captain Sithiir.”

She closes her eyes and bows her head slightly. She turns the page in the folder.

“First, I have some questions for the Chancellor and Dreamwalker Tra’ia. These seizures will they continue?”

The Chancellor is the one who speaks, “It’s hard to say for sure, Captain. It’s most likely the bone will cause them more and more frequently as they migrate, but no one can say for sure. The brain is one of the most adaptable parts of the body as shown in how you seemed to have mitigated your own disease.

If I were a betting elven, I would say you will get more and more of them until they come about nearly every day at which point you will know your time is very short.”

Lauri looks distantly for a moment. “It’s quite the irony it is not. When we first came here, I rushed my research because my men were aging so quickly. I was not sure I had the time to send them home before they became too old. Now I am the one that has no time.”

The dreamwalker speaks, “You could still have a century or a century and a half. That is if you stop adventuring.”

Lauri nodes and turns a page in her folder scanning its contents.

“Due to the fact that I could be physically incapacitated at any time and have a chronic disease by regulation I can no longer command the Moonflower. Once we settle this Lieutenant Cyr Stafford will be made acting commander and captain of the ship. I, being a captain cannot promote him to full rank however when he returns home it will show in his record and performance thus the Fleet will be able to evaluate the record and either concur or deny the full rank of office.”

Cyr bobs his head slightly to her.

“I will retain ownership of the Moonflower and if she sails under Captain Stafford’s command, I do expect a full 10 share of the profit as guaranteed by regulation. Furthermore, I will continue in an advisory capacity to Captain Stafford. I will also retain quarters and stateroom as the official diplomat and advocate for the Moonflower and her crew until such time that I become mentally incapacitated permanently.”

What is your answer, Captain Stafford?”

“Agreed.”

“As per regulation I hereby promote 1rst mate John H. Calandro to full Ensign in the Mulhorandi Merchant Marines. Mr. Calandro has served near 2 full contracts and is an exemplary example of what a sailor should be. Should he get back home he is to immediately be inducted into officer school. Tuition, room and board provide by the Silver Coin Trade company.”

John nearly jumps out of his skin. He stands gives her a salute and bows deeply. She nods to him with a smile and turns the page of the folder. She now focuses upon her guests.

“Chancellor Me’ra, Dreamwalker Tra’ia, I have given much thought to what was done over the last three weeks. Due to the fact that you have helped my crew and for all knowledge did nothing to harm but to help my crew and myself in every way I bare no malice to you and yours for intruding upon my crews or my person.

I will not be going to Cormanthor with you to be probed and prodded like some test animal. I still have a mission. For two centuries I could only learn enough magic to be a hedge mage at best. Now I have a guardian dragon, can call a balor to my side and stop time. I suspect that the abundance of magic surrounding the Netheril region is the only reason I have become an archmage. Therefore, to complete my mission and send my people home I must stay in the region.

I do offer an alternative if you are willing to hear me out?”

Both the dignitaries nod to her. She turns the page in her folder.

“My proposal is such. First To do what I need to do and with no means of steady income for research I propose that a place be found along the narrow sea to do such research with a channel deep enough to park the Moonflower.

This base could be an abandoned village, fort or any structure big enough and remote enough to do chronomantic research away from both potential threat and potential victims in the vicinity of such dangerous research.

In this regard I fully expect both the Elves of Cormanthor and the Dwarves of Ascore to fully fund this research in regular shipments of supplies and materials for my full crew along with any from the two nations that stay with us for their nation’s interest. In exchange all spell research, inventions, new technologies and theory will be the shared property of the two nations along with myself.”

Lauriella pauses

“Second, I will accept two apprentices from each nation. Due to chronomancy’s nature they will need to be either skilled mathematicians or navigator/pilots. Chronomancy is the magic of numbers and formulas. I will also accept a priestess or priest of Sehanine and other creeds for services of the gods. Along with one diplomate from each nation to overlook their relative national interest in this project.”

Three, Once the problem of sending my people home is solved all research shall cease and desist. All personal will go home to their respective nations so that I may finally enjoy the rest of my days in some peace. If the nation or either nation wishes to regularly keep monthly supplies up for the Moonflower, I will willingly contract any more personal research, development, inventions or spells I create to the shared ownership of that nation and myself.

This concludes my proposal. I will not be including Netheril within this contract due to recent events. Humans as I have seen when given so much power become short sighted and abuse that power. Therefore, even though I love my crew and regard many humans in high regard as a race this magic is too powerful for the short lived and short sighted to have in their possession.

Therefore, in no way should this contract or any of its parts be shared with any human nation. I will hold firm on this addendum.”

Lauriella takes two subfolders from hers and slides each to the Chancellor and to the Dreamweaver. They carefully read her proposed contract. The Chancellor then asks, “May we confer in private, captain?”

Lauriella nods to them. “You are welcome to my bedroom.”

Once they confer and return the chancellor looks at her. “We will take this contract to the courts of both nations but wish to make an addendum ourselves.”

She studies him looking to hear his proposal.

“A team of clerics of Naralis Analor shall be included as medical experts into the research center so that our interest in the project head is kept healthy and well along with an enchanter or enchantress specializing in mind magic to monitor said project head for good mental capacity. Should the project head become mentally incapacitated then the contract is null and void.”

“You still want to poke and prod?”

Dreamwalker Tra’ia takes her hand. “We don’t want to poke and prod you, Captain. We simply want to make sure our interests are kept and studying you from a distance will help many with mental illness. Please understand our motives. We only wish to study you so that we may help others in the future.

If there is a priestess or priest of Sehanine there they will look after your best interest. You are a faithful woman to the goddess. A priest or priestess will support you in any way within their capacity Even to the point of dismissing any enchantress or cleric of Analor that you think is too probing in your personal affairs.”

Lauriella thinks long and hard on the proposal before speaking. “Add your addendum and take it to the two nations. I will wait for an answer.”
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella sits on a table in her working cloths. She has a lit pipe in her hand and smokes it occasionally. Two dwarves and two elves stand around her. In the background an elven female leans against a wall watching the introductions. The hall looks to be an old barracks in a newly renovated old fort along the Northeaster part of the narrow sea. The fort is on the west side of Paw Bay near the middle just across the Paw islands.

“I’m Lauriella: Captain, fair engineer. I designed that ship you came in on. I’m also an archmage being I’ve attained the knowledge to keep a dragon knight by me side in times of need. He’s a greedy avaricious fellow but willing to look out for me well being so long as I keep a certain deal with him. My specialties are White necromancy more to the fact the study of the positive and negative planes along with its energies. And been studying chronomancy since I came to Netheril.

“If you be here that means you be knowing the whole of the story. I need to get my men back to the future and got some long theories on how to do it with some good knowledge from the machines I studied in a village called Covington along with learning from the dwarven sorcerer Master Tolinus who I did a fair amount of studying with.

He checked my design and saw nothing wrong with it but that doesn’t mean it will work right off. Probably not. But we get to that. I’d like to know who you all be?”

The dwarven male throws out his hand. “Sakse, Archmage. I be a sorcerer and mathematician. Can throw a wall of iron up or throw Ghorus Toth’s Magnetism. That’s the limit of my spell ability now.”

“Lauri is fine for now. There be times when that may be not enough, but you get used to it. Every crew I had did.” She watches as the woman in the back takes some notes and turns to the female dwarf.

“Me names Thora, Lauri. I’m not as advanced as Sakse, far as being a mage, but I’m a good damn Tinkerer. If you need anything made, well old Thora can be sure to make it. I study alchemy, evocation, and can cast a fireball now and again.”

“Think you can adjust my designs when needed, Thora?”

“Well, some of yer design really small and tight but I think I can work with these gyros and connections. Don’t like working with stallix but I see why you use it to control the magical current through the Iodium.”

Lauri smokes her pipe and nods, “I think we be getting along just fine, Thora. You a peppy one now aint ye?”
“Love to tinker with things, Ms. Lauri. When I was a wee one all the other girls making house with their dolls. I was tearing them apart so I could see how they work.”

Lauri smiles and turns her attentions to the two elven.

The male takes a bow, “Khyrmn, archmage. Designer and engineer like yourself. My specialties and field of study is transmutation.”

“Bit formal now aren’t ya? What your strongest spell?”

“Temporal Stasis”

“Won’t work on me you know. When I go. I will go in a flash. You won’t be able to save me. But then again, I know the two reasons you picked.”

His face turns rather red. “I should have picked out the other spell I know. I apologize.”

“No need to. The facts are the facts. Ye either face them or try to ignore them till they hit ye in the face. Then ye can’t.”

Lauri turns to the young female elven. “You a pretty thing. Want to dance?”

The woman turns beat red while curtsying. “I…um…I have someone to dance for, Lauri.”

Lauriella smiles, “Good for you. Well then tell me about yourself?”

The young lady clears her throat uncomfortably, “Valindra, I study enchantment and white necromancy. Other than that, I just look pretty.”

All four of them have a chuckle breaking the ice. Lauri still studies the young woman, “You that witch nurse maid’s apprentice in the back there?”

The other older woman speaks while writing, “She is Lauriella and referring to me as a witch when you don’t even know my name is rude.”

“About as rude as taking notes about your subject right in front of them, Enchantress. We could always go toe to toe if you would like.”

The elven puts away her notes. “I’ve seen your dossier. With your will and resistance to necromancy along with a high tier focus in necromantic spells you would likely make short of me, however you have a weakness, evocation spells. I am Enchantress Liluth Orama. Professor of the Cormanthian academy of magic for the study of mental conditions of the mind.”

“Write your notes in your own room please and we might just get along Professor Orama.”

She nods to her, “Remember that little nugget if someone attacks the fort, though this place is so out of the way I dare say we will be fine.”

“I will, Thank you”

Lauriella focuses on the four in front of her. “Alright then. The machine being made by the dwarves and will get here probably in a month. It will have no magic. We’ll have to make it. Being unless it be maintenance on a ship, I’m not so good with me hands. Could not make a longbow or pound out a sword to save me life. That why the machine being made offsite. So here the idea.

The machine do several things. It lock itself to the here and now with one gyro. The other gyro you can turn to the destination. How does that work? Well the machine it only set up a harmonic field that makes things vibrate on a small level very fast. The field is like a bubble of about 30 feet wide. That’s all it does. The harmonic field it creates is tuned to how far in the future or past ye want to go.

A spell will need to be created to trigger the mythals and sunstone to release their energies to make the objects inside travel. The caster has to be outside the harmonic field.

So, we have to create 2 more like 3 new spells one an epic spell that be the trigger for the machine. We also have to create magical chronomatic gimbals round the rotor of the gyros, Mythal shards, to take out any magical or chronomantic influences.

Anyone that can cast time stop. They envision a great gyro to work the magic. Once you have that vision and all the incantations you see as the one being affected by it a giant gyro with its chronomantic runes. The spell it really not stop time. It make you vibrate so fast that time for all intense purposes stop for you and you have 9 seconds to do what needs be done whether to help another or throw a spell.

I’ll give you notebooks on that and how it influenced the creation of me machine.”

Sakse raises his hand, “Why try to do all this when you could create just a spell to move yourself through time. I think it could be done with enough work?”

Lauri takes a draw from her pipe then answers, “Aye I thought about that and tis true with enough time a century or two do that. First, I do na have the time being me men are human. Second there is a certain ethics you need to have when dealing with Chronomancy.

Think I haven’t thought to make a spell where I go to the place I take the ship with me babe in arm and sign on as an ensign. I disrupt me own plan to take that ship. Kidnap meself for a week till the storm over then I have a new life and me baby, Elliseif, would be alive, grow up, marry and me watching as a proud mother?

What would be the problem with that?”

Surprisingly Valindra speaks up, “It is because all that you have done beyond that point will be wiped away. Whatever good or evil you did. You would have a new life and most likely would not wind up here. There will be paradox that may shatter time itself or may create an alternate universe.”

Lauriella smiles, “Aye, very perceptive of ye Valindra. Look I was a lousy spy, probably was a lousy investigator though I do na remember that part of me life. The one thing I always did well was captain a cargo ship taking waifs from dockyards and slums turning them into upstanding citizens and sailors.

Been on the seas 2 centuries. In that time had probably 20 crews that learned, worked, retired and did some good in the world. I canna change those little things I did to improve the societies these men belong to. If I went and saved meself where would these men wind up. Most like they go into gangs and guilds of ill repute coming out much worse. So, I owe it to them not to change those things I already done. Chromomancy is a grave responsibility remember that if ye will.”

Lauriella pauses and looks distantly. Liluth takes a few steps up in case she has a seizure and needs medical attention, but Lauri’s eyes suddenly focus again. She takes a long draw on her pipe again and continues. “The first thing we need to do is make the magical gimbals for the gyros. Be aware of the axis we need to each other and make sure they center on the rotor.

Second, we need to make two spells of navigation. One a general spell of navigation to set up the higher-level spell for the time navigation. Come with me.”

Lauriella leads them outside where she casts a prestidigitation spell. A 100-meter globe full of stars surrounds them with Selune in her glory stands at high moon.

This a simple prestidigitation. I use it on cloudy nights to feel Sehanine when I dance. It last an hour as ye all know. When I go to me mission of sending me men back home, I thought……. What if I could do this as a divination spell so navigators could follow the stars at night no matter the weather. Then I remember something.
When I first came here my lieutenant took a reading of sextet to a constellation, so we know where we are. First thing he said was the stars are wrong. They at a sight angle different in their configurations. Some by 3 minutes of angle. Well, I had to check for meself and sure enough what he say is true. That mean that over the course of 3,000 year the very stars move relative other stars in all the constellations. What that say anyone?

Sakse immediately steps up, “That means you can vector the stars to create a time map for any destination in time you want to go. You create a spell where you can see the stars turning through time and their drift vectors thereby creating a map where you can pinpoint the day and hour you want to teleport too.”

Lauri smiles, “Exactly!”
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

“Ensign Calandro, May I have a word, please”

John stops greasing the current sail crank and looks to her. “Morning enchantress Orama, how may I help you?”

“it’s been some time now in fact 6 months and I have never seen the captain in her Mulhorandi robes. You’ve been with her the longest of the crew. I was wondering what she is like when she wears them. It will help me with my research.”

He rubs his chin. “Have a question for you then. How that fancy contraption she and the others working on coming along? That what important for us.”

“It works in so much that it sets up a field. The problem right now is the machine has not been able to change the harmonics as of yet. Your captain along with the dwarves are working on that while the elves are working on the magic rings she wants to create around the gyros. We think that’s the key. Those rings what do you call them?”

“Gimbals. She been teaching me about them. In sailing they take out the influence of the ground so she say. Don’t know how they work but, on a ship, if ye take one of her navigation gyros apart it has these rings around that move free of the rotor that take out any influence of pull and push. She call it magnetism and gravity. It’s all chessentian to me but I’m still learning this officer stuff. I just know it work. Ye answered me question honest so I will tell you bout our captain when she wearing these robes. First, how much you know about Mulhorandi culture?”

“I know little of the old human empire.”

“Well, there basically be 3 classes: Nobility and Middle class just one class. They all have three rings tattooed on their head. There be mages. They have two rings tattooed on their head, and freemen they only have one ring. All the rest slaves. There a lot of slaves in Mulhorand at least now in these times.

You see Arelush keep her head shaved that standard in Mulhorand when ye have a ring. She proud of her ring. Most us sailors grow our hair cause the sun beat down on us year-round. We go home most of us shave our head to show our rings.

Now middle class and nobility. They all called priests and priestesses whether just a teacher, or mage or actual priest. In our language that would be Hem or Hemet. Lauriella in a low nobility being she own a merchant house that make lots of coin or did. So, most would call her Hemet. She have two rings being she a mage and a proper member of the Mulhorandi mage guild called the house of life. No matter the class a mage always have two rings.”

Last is that even though the Captain a mage she trained under the necromantic arm of the guild. Necromancy in Mulhorandi is the most honored school and work closely with the priests and priestess of Osiris. They the ones that keep the secrets to making the guardian mummies of the temples and crypts. But they usually pretty mean people, Enchantress. I guess dealing with the dead and undead all the time make them that way.

Now in Mulhorandi when the middle class and nobles go about doing their job, they usually wear white robes. The hems, belts, earrings, face paints and such tell all what they do and their ranks. For instance, when Captain wear her makeup she put cole round her eyes to make her look hawkish in appearance. But after that line extending above her eye, she have 5 dots. It mean she a high priestess of the guild, an archmage due to the magic she can wield. And the colors of her belt and jewelry and the fact she cover the whole of her face with a veil put her in the necromantic branch of the guild.

Most slave would run from one of her branch cause they figure the mage looking to take a slave to make a guardian. They do that a lot back home. Not saying it right. Just saying that how it is.”

“How does all that affect her personality?’

“Aye, now that’s the thing is it not. You see she rarely put them on being she always too weak to defend the ship with magic and has to use other means. Until she strong enough from doing some adventuring or study on land or she just neigh like to put them on. She just as mean as the others in those robes. Not evil but mean. She always looking out for the best of us and the best for those people she meet and like but when she wears them robes it like she putting up the blood flag. She will do what she set out to do or die trying.”

“I don’t understand the referance?”

“Aye ye mean the blood flag. Well, when a pirate want to take a merchant and there a red flag beneath that jolly roger it means they will take the merchant or die to the man trying to take it.”

“Is that it? She’s just ornery when she’s in the robes?”

“I would’na say ornery but would say mean. Think about cleaning out an orc village and ye find a wounded mother orc defending her babes with a towel between her legs. That’s what our captain be like when she wears them robes. No one likes her and if you move too slow ye might get rapped across the chin. Not that she want to hurt ye but she know what she doing more than us and expects us to do our jobs to her orders. She always sorry about things like that after and that why she only wear them when she backed into a corner. But no one talk to her when she wear them and they follow order to the letter. I tell you a story bout her from before I was born if ye want?”

“Please do. Though I’m offended by the reference.”

“You live with sailors we talk like it is. You want flowery go back home to civilized people. Now, Bout a century ago the captain had been adventuring round a city called Westgate. Cutthroat town on the western part of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Lots of pirates dock there to hide out among the populace. Well, our Lauri was at her strongest meaning she could cast that red cloud the kill some and burn others acid like.”

“I know the spell it’s called Cloudkill.”

“Whatever it be called it pack a punch, it do. Well anyway a pirate set out after her. Now you know sometimes a pirate need a day or more to catch a merchant. Our Moonflower she be fast with all her sheet, but she never outrun a smaller ship meant for catching other ships. She a cargo ship not a war ship.

Captain maintained a lead for days but two days out from Skuld she knew the pirate would catch her before any come for help. Well she went down and changed in her guild robes and head piece. When she come up she had the men change the sail cranks so it look like we finally give in. As the pirate came in range, she threw that spell. The pirate had no choice but go through the cloud killing and wounding ½ its crew.

The pirate captain tried to make a turn realizing there a Mulhorandi necromancer on our ship. Well as he turn, he come into her range again and she threw them tentacles across the side of his ship where his pirates still able to fight were lobbing harpoons and arrows at us. Another ¼ crew go down and not enough to man the sails of the pirate. Of the 50 or so men on the pirate by the time she was done using all her magic and her men fighting by her side the last 10 pirate surrendered.

Saying goes she lost a good bit of men herself in the fighting. Well, she had her lieutenant or ensign at the time take over the moonflower while she captains the pirate for salvage. Coming into port she hung every corpse of the yards of the pirate ship and the survivors she strung up just coming into port. Their bodies blue faced and wiggling off the lines as she took to harbor. She hung them slow because of her dead men.

Captain already been sailing a century with the merchant marines, so she known. That scene coming into harbor with them pirates wiggling off them lines, with gasping mouths along with other bodies part melted or with burns from them magic light arrows had its effect. From then on many of the Mulhorandi merchant marine gave her the nickname ‘Ole Witch of the Inner Sea.’ That just how mean she can be when in those robes.”

“Thank you for the insight, Ensign. I’ll go back to my room and write.”

“Aye” John gets back to work going to the next crank he has to grease.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The silence of the cold north greets the group as they walk out into the tundra. They wear seal skin jackets lined with polar bear fur as they walk along the frozen ground. The air is cold and dry. The sky clear. The wind bitter even with their protective clothing. There are three women and a man walking out from the old fort. Behind them two others trail about fifty meters behind.

Lauriella looks behind her watching the two bringing up the rear. “Lilith take care of them. They’ll only scare away the game.”

“And if you have another seizure?”

“Had one last month and yes, I know I could die on any one of them at any time. Besiden I have you and those around me.”

The Enchantress sighs, “I’ll tell them I’ll take care of you, but you should appreciate them, Lauri.”

“Fuck those nagging nursemaids. When it’s my time to die I’ll die. Quietly and in peace with myself long as I get my people back home.”

The smallest of the group runs off to the two following. The tallest turns to the leader, “How is it going with the spells and such?”

The only male in the group speaks. “The machine now sets up a harmonics field. We are working as hard and fast as we can on the time navigational spell.”

“Aye, Khyrmn. We close now. Two years of work finally panning out. Have to say Ye handle that long bow like a pro now Arelush. Ye also becoming a woman all to yerself. You not smart as us mages but you got yer own strengths now. I am proud of you.”

“Thank you”

“Know what you want to do when this all over?”

“I want to go with them, ma’am. I have no family. No home but the ship. Like you like to say. I’m of no import to the greater scheme. I do like to hunt and be in the wilds. The elven ambassador has taught me a lot about such things.”

“Good that you leaning from others now. I see no problem from one that left little mark on the world thus far. Mayhap you do some good there.”

Arelush looks forlorn a moment, “The only thing is who will take care of you, Lauri?”

“I’ll be alright. Gotten along this far haven’t I against the odds. Knew plenty of people better than me that did’na make it this far in life.”

Arelush puts her hand on Lauri’s shoulder, “You been like a mother to me. If no one to take care of you. I’ll say until…. until….”

“Well, if I been like a mother than you need listen to me. Ye got your whole life ahead of ye. I’m near me end. I want ye to go out there and find a good life for yerself. You strong now. Gave you all I could now and you learning from others to be even stronger. Have no fear for me. I know where I’m going and have me own appointment to make beyond me life.”

Arelush takes her hand off Lauri while Khyrmn speaks. “Don’t worry Arelush. The captain will be taken care of for the rest of her life. The knowledge she was shown us will last long beyond anything we can do for her the rest of her life. The kingdom of Cormanthor and The city of Ascore will make sure our benefactor is taken care of.”

Lauri nods, “Thank ye, Liluth is coming back, and the priests are going away probably pissed off as hell, but I do not like them probing and poking all the time. I know they keep me best they can and cannot help themselves, but I used to self-reliance all me life. Besiden all this talk saddens me and she coming back. Let’s hunt some reindeer.

Got ye birding arrows, Arelush?”

“Aye, Captain but I’m not good enough for birds yet.”

“Then ye have a long day of practice. Let’s go.”

Lilith returns and the party makes their way into the northern pines three hundred meters to the southwest.
CTP team member